Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
The 1926 are a little smoother but i don’t think they are worth the premium over the 64 unless you are getting an anniversary edition.

My preference for the 1964 line over the 1926 is for the same reasons I prefer the VSG over the ESG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The 1926 80th anniversary my buddies got me for my birthday was off the hook.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

Man if you haven’t tried a Padron 1964 you really should.

I think we've only had the 1929. All the pricey padron stuff is on the list.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh I am a big big fan of Japanese whiskey. Nikka Coffey Grain has been a longtime favorite!

Got a handful of cheap and cheerful favorites on Cigar Auctioneer this weekend. There's some stellar deals on some of our household's 50 cab favorites. Hopefully THIS will finally give us the leg up on consumption to actually let things sit two weeks before cracking in. :shepspends:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I recently booked my first hunting vacation in two and a half years (spring turkey and trout fishing) so I am 100% going to bring some of my sticks with me.

I’m thinking of smoking one of the two Bolivar China RE I have left because I need a good excuse for one of those.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh poo poo that sounds perfect. Jealous as hell of those regionals. One day!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I just regret not buying all of the ones the guy had for sale. They were really expensive but I’d kill to go back in time and buy more... that and $79 boxes of Bolivar gold medals.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Ooh I am a big big fan of Japanese whiskey. Nikka Coffey Grain has been a longtime favorite!

Got a handful of cheap and cheerful favorites on Cigar Auctioneer this weekend. There's some stellar deals on some of our household's 50 cab favorites. Hopefully THIS will finally give us the leg up on consumption to actually let things sit two weeks before cracking in. :shepspends:

We bought Nikka Coffey Malt on accident one time and I think I like it even better. It's incredible.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm convinced! That sure was easy. Maybe it'll scratch my itch since it feels like my last few bottles of Grain weren't where they used to be.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm using the lockdown to experiment with different drink combinations to go with my pipe, like brandy & iced tea or vodka & lemonade.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Re: the alma fuerte, it was okay I guess but if I had to summarize it, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by such an expensive cigar. It was like...smooth and nice and produced really well but it hardly even really tasted like anything. When I did get some notes it was definitely nice, some really s'morsey, earthy, slightly spicy stuff but most of it was like hitting an Unflavored vape. The burn also sucked for the latter half, which was surprising for how good the first half went.

I guess that seems kinda harsh but I think a smoke that costs $20 should be under some more scrutiny. :colbert:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Re: the alma fuerte, it was okay I guess but if I had to summarize it, I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by such an expensive cigar. It was like...smooth and nice and produced really well but it hardly even really tasted like anything. When I did get some notes it was definitely nice, some really s'morsey, earthy, slightly spicy stuff but most of it was like hitting an Unflavored vape. The burn also sucked for the latter half, which was surprising for how good the first half went.

I guess that seems kinda harsh but I think a smoke that costs $20 should be under some more scrutiny. :colbert:

I am definitely altering my drybox technique cause I think those may have sat out a bit too long. Those should have had more flavor I agree.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

The 1926 are a little smoother but i don’t think they are worth the premium over the 64 unless you are getting an anniversary edition.

My preference for the 1964 line over the 1926 is for the same reasons I prefer the VSG over the ESG.

The 1926 line is definitely more reserved in terms of strength, but I think they definitely have more flavor. The 80th, 90th , and 40th are also in this series.
Also the No 47, which is deffo the go-to in that line, followed by the 6 and 35.

The Family Reserve line is stupid good. The 85 is a good introduction to that line as it’s the most accessible size and price ($23 average). Other favorites are the 44, 45, and 50 (little hammer).

Then there’s the Hammer, the 50th Anniversary cigar. The only cigar that has cost $50 or more that I think is worth it.

I may or may not be a Padron fan.

For 1964 line, go for an Exclusivo, Princepe, or Corona. If you don’t like those, they may not be for you.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

ThatOneGuy posted:

The 1926 line is definitely more reserved in terms of strength, but I think they definitely have more flavor. The 80th, 90th , and 40th are also in this series.
Also the No 47, which is deffo the go-to in that line, followed by the 6 and 35.

The Family Reserve line is stupid good. The 85 is a good introduction to that line as it’s the most accessible size and price ($23 average). Other favorites are the 44, 45, and 50 (little hammer).

Then there’s the Hammer, the 50th Anniversary cigar. The only cigar that has cost $50 or more that I think is worth it.

For 1964 line, go for an Exclusivo, Princepe, or Corona. If you don’t like those, they may not be for you.

This is killer. My preferred local B and M sells a shitton of Padron but I'm never sure where to start so I end up buying foundation stuff usually. I liked the one I tried, so I'm sure I'll like whatever else I get especially with that kind of rec. Thanks.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ThatOneGuy posted:

1964 Diplimatico or go home :clint:

Naw, you do you, but I smoked a exclusivo at a B&M while I was on a work trip a couple days ago, and it was good, but man, those diplimaticos in my humidor just hit different.

I'm bad with money, but not like uber bad with money - if I was to want to try a Davidoff for the first time and no idea where to start, because they all look exactly the same, what should I be looking for? For reference, I like Padron 1964 Naturals, 1926 Maduros, God of Fire Serie B, and Opus X in that price range, which probably tells you absolutely nothing. On the lower end, love Curivari Cafe Noir, My Father Flor de Las Antilles, Fuente Casa Cubas, and AJF San Lotano Requiem Maduros.

Davidoff is just intimidating because, again, they all look exactly the same and are also expensive as poo poo.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Davidoff Colorado Claro short perfectos are the only davidoff that I though was worth the price.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've never been blown away by a Davidoff, I think the millennium series and Late Hour are adequate, but poor purchases for the price.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Davidoff has always just screamed Lifestyle Brand to me, I have never hosed with it

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've only heard this from one worker, but apparently to carry them you need to meet certain requirements and place an initial order of like $10k.

At least you're guaranteed a competent cigar, but yeesh. I know a few folks who smoke them more or less exclusively and they've got a steeze that definitely isn't mine.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Davidoff has always just screamed Lifestyle Brand to me, I have never hosed with it

Kirby Allison loves them shits, so you are 1000 percent correct there

I'd like to try em, but no way they can possibly be worth the price they command.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Dramatika posted:

1964 Diplimatico or go home :clint:

Naw, you do you, but I smoked a exclusivo at a B&M while I was on a work trip a couple days ago, and it was good, but man, those diplimaticos in my humidor just hit different.

I'm bad with money, but not like uber bad with money - if I was to want to try a Davidoff for the first time and no idea where to start, because they all look exactly the same, what should I be looking for? For reference, I like Padron 1964 Naturals, 1926 Maduros, God of Fire Serie B, and Opus X in that price range, which probably tells you absolutely nothing. On the lower end, love Curivari Cafe Noir, My Father Flor de Las Antilles, Fuente Casa Cubas, and AJF San Lotano Requiem Maduros.

Davidoff is just intimidating because, again, they all look exactly the same and are also expensive as poo poo.

You’re already smoking far better cigars than anything Davidoff puts out, and for cheaper. The Davidoff Nicaraguan line isn’t bad, but you’re paying 1964 prices for a serviceable cigar, instead of a 1964.

And yes, Diplomaticos are the poo poo; I know the SKU my local B&M has on them from buying so many of them. Is it a good recommendation for somebody that wants to try a 1964? Not so much, unless they want that large vitola.

Though my favorite 1964s are, in no order: yes, as long as it’s Maduro. I’ve had a lot of Diplos, Exclusivo, Princepe, and Coronas. And the Corona in Natural is the only Natural 1964 I enjoy on the reg.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Goddamn I need to get some more Padrons.

Last night I busted out an old classic, the Rocky Patel 1990 petite corona.

CI often has Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds, and the 1990 petite corona is my favorite. As you can see, super dark Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, oily and smooth. Mellow, sweet profile of toasted marshmallow, chocolate, and cherry cola, with just enough char to keep it from being cloying. Draw was perfect, burn was good. It wandered quite a bit in the first half inch or so but I forced myself to not touch it up and it corrected itself well enough. I know Gramps is a big fan of broadleaf/maduro wrappers, so consider grabbing some of these. I love 'em.

I couldn't help myself, and followed it up with a La Aurora Sapphire corona, which I of course smoked down to the nub.

My girlfriend said this one just tasted like half-and-half, which I think is great assessment. She also said it's the only cigar she's tried that doesn't have any sort of pepperiness. I think she's more sensitive to that and might also be referring to a char flavor as pepper, but her point is well taken – this is an incredibly smooth, mellow smoke. In addition to the cream there's wonderful notes of oatmeal and honey. Easily my favorite Connecticut shade cigar I've tried.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Goddamn I need to get some more Padrons.

Last night I busted out an old classic, the Rocky Patel 1990 petite corona.

CI often has Rocky Patel Vintage 2nds, and the 1990 petite corona is my favorite. As you can see, super dark Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, oily and smooth. Mellow, sweet profile of toasted marshmallow, chocolate, and cherry cola, with just enough char to keep it from being cloying. Draw was perfect, burn was good. It wandered quite a bit in the first half inch or so but I forced myself to not touch it up and it corrected itself well enough. I know Gramps is a big fan of broadleaf/maduro wrappers, so consider grabbing some of these. I love 'em.

I couldn't help myself, and followed it up with a La Aurora Sapphire corona, which I of course smoked down to the nub.

My girlfriend said this one just tasted like half-and-half, which I think is great assessment. She also said it's the only cigar she's tried that doesn't have any sort of pepperiness. I think she's more sensitive to that and might also be referring to a char flavor as pepper, but her point is well taken – this is an incredibly smooth, mellow smoke. In addition to the cream there's wonderful notes of oatmeal and honey. Easily my favorite Connecticut shade cigar I've tried.

I liked the vintage 1990 when I tried it, but I've only had the one vitola cigarbid tossed in the sampler. Big agree on the LA sapphire. Might be my favorite CT stick.

Also to echo Nexein's sentiments, goddamn these Flor de Las Antillas belicosos are just wonderful. I don't know what it is about a belicoso but it's just a really nice size that somehow enhances the flavor of every stick I've tried it in, particularly anything made in the my father factory. The La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor was noticeably better in the belicoso as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hello smoking friends.

Though I normally smoke pipes, sometimes I like a cigar. Typically I enjoy creamy, relatively mild cigars (nub cameroon is a favorite, for instance). However, my favorite ever cigar came from Bolivar, and once I had a whole box of petit coronas from them. As I live in the US, it's hard to get those boxes. So what is the closest US available cigar to that particular flavor?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
It is not difficult to get Cubans in the US. I will pm you a list of vendors that are well regarded.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
r/cigars and r/cubancigars are almost entirely worthless but r/cubancigars has a fairly comprehensive list of the vendors that will sell to the US if you go look in their info pages.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's not one of y'all bidding on these Illusione Rothschildes, is it >_>

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Not I, said the pig.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Famous Smoke is running a spring sale- today only, 21% off orders over 100 bucks. Code is SPRING21. Get in there!

Gramps fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 27, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Tatuaje Negociant was a solid Connecticut but not sure it’s a $7.50/per for the belicoso on CigarAuctioneer. The petit corona is like $20 which may be a more reasonable price and smoking time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gramps posted:

Famous Smoke is running a spring sale- today only, 21% off orders over 100 bucks. Code is SPRING21. Get in there!

I came /this close/ to buying a $100 box of something so I could also get 21% off of a box of Padrons but with great difficulty I have restrained myself. We'll see how the rest of the weekend plays out.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I came /this close/ to buying a $100 box of something so I could also get 21% off of a box of Padrons but with great difficulty I have restrained myself. We'll see how the rest of the weekend plays out.

I went in. Box of Charter Oak Maduro petit coronas (you guys are rubbing off on me), 5 pack of the 501 Blue in torpedo, and a 4 pack of the rose of sharon desert rose in lonsdale. Nice little haul. Don't know if I have mentioned it before but those charter oak maduros absolutely rule. It's like smoking a hot chocolate made from really nice high quality dark chocolate. Smooth and rich and delicious. My favorite cigar Foundation makes actually

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Celebrating a long awaited improvement to my work schedule. Wanted to bust out something good. Not as sweet as I usually like my Maduros, but very earthy and complex. I need to remember to pair this one with coffee. The whisky I'm drinking kinda accentuates the pepper, I tend to really like coffee and chocolate notes.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Forgive the gross claws but I'm pairing a 1999 Patel Connecticut with an adorable little dram of Blue Label that I actually got as a Festivus gift from ol Gramps! I'm certainly enjoying both but I'm not super sure why so many people hail this Blue as the be all end all, it's definitely good but I'm not sure about 200 bones a bottle good...

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It’s apparently national cigar day. I smoked one earlier but I might have to smoke one more tonight. Maybe a nice post dinner maduro.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Nexein posted:

Forgive the gross claws but I'm pairing a 1999 Patel Connecticut with an adorable little dram of Blue Label that I actually got as a Festivus gift from ol Gramps! I'm certainly enjoying both but I'm not super sure why so many people hail this Blue as the be all end all, it's definitely good but I'm not sure about 200 bones a bottle good...

As I understand it, it's similar to how this thread has described Davidoffs - competent but not worth the money. The primary selling point is that even people who don't drink whiskey know that poo poo is expensive as hell, even if you could spend the same amount and get something amazing like Balvenie 21

I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro this afternoon, paired with a couple pints of Yellow Rose IPA. It was very enjoyable. Nice and chocolatey, though not as much pepper as I was expecting.

I wish it was easier to find more stuff to smoke in like a lonsdale size - I like that toros take me 90-120 minutes to smoke, but sometimes I feel the large ring gauge can be a detriment to the flavor. Though sometimes it hits perfect, maybe I just don't know what I want :shrug:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The best lonsdales ever is the La Gloria Cubano MdO no 2. I will not hear anything to the contrary.

Biggest cigar disappointment was when they were discontinued.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I 'm trying to scientifically figure out this whole vitola question, so this year my plan is to rebuy cigars I enjoyed previously and shoot out a few vitolas. The only cigar I've had in a ton of vitolas is the Oliva serie V, and even though I typically prefer medium ring gauges, the Serie V was best for me on the bigger end of the scale. These Charter Oak petit coronas I have coming are mostly to compare them to what I remember of the Toro I had.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Dramatika posted:

As I understand it, it's similar to how this thread has described Davidoffs - competent but not worth the money.

The funniest thing is I was looking for reccs of what to pair with it and every single blog said "pair it with xyz Davidoff". *fart noises*

Also that Bijou has consistently been my personal favorite in every vitola I've had it in, but the rose of Sharon comes close and we have the illustrious Lanceros inbound pretty soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Lanceros

Lonsdales, which I like even more. I bailed on the full box of lanceros.