Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

I had a teacher in high school that had this issue. Just got kidney stones all the time for no reason. He always had a giant bottle of water and a giant bottle of cranberry juice and would alternate sips from them all day. He was a teetotaler; got drunk off beer once and swore it off. He had sparkling grape juice on his wedding. The doc told him one beer a day might actually help him break down the kidney stones, but he refused and just lived with it.

I drink water like a mother fucker since then. I'm not taking any chances. I've never heard of drinking beer to help with a kidney stone. That sounds like some Dr. Nick poo poo.

ruddiger posted:

lol Disney is releasing the next Spider-Man in theaters this year despite a half million Americans losing their lives in a pandemic that hasn’t ended yet.

Why did Zack Snyder let this happen

Are you so selfish that you think that they should just hold off on the next crop of Marvel movies for a year or so? If they don't release the new Spider-Man now how are they supposed to reach Phase 7 of the MCU in mid 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s coming out at like Christmas. They’re still pushing for Black Widow in cinemas though and that’s meant to come out in May right now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you drink enough beer you'll black and and won't remember the anguish of the kidney stones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you drink enough beer you'll black and and won't remember the anguish of the kidney stones.

You get to have a poo poo ton of opiates. They just go "Here have some opiates, what could go wrong?" and write you a prescription. I got 12 oxycodone from the emergency room doctor and a few days later when I saw a urologist he asked if they gave me any pain killers and when I told him how many he said "That's not enough." and prescribed 20 more. Doctors just give out dangerous and highly addictive drugs like they're candy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

You get to have a poo poo ton of opiates. They just go "Here have some opiates, what could go wrong?" and write you a prescription. I got 12 oxycodone from the emergency room doctor and a few days later when I saw a urologist he asked if they gave me any pain killers and when I told him how many he said "That's not enough." and prescribed 20 more. Doctors just give out dangerous and highly addictive drugs like they're candy.

According to people who've both passed a kidney stone and given birth, kidney stones are more painful.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CPL593H posted:

Doctors just give out dangerous and highly addictive drugs like they're candy.

Not to belittle the problem with opiates or many doctors penchant for over prescribing, but for some doctors they really do want people to be in as little pain as possible. In a perfect world if you were trying to pass a kidney stone you could stay in the hospital for a day or two, with drugs safely administered by professionals, pass it as painlessly as they could safely allow, and go home, all without it being on your bill.

We don't live in a perfect world, though. I can speak as someone with a spinal fusion and permanent nerve damage: I've had my personal doctors write me a standing scrip for some heavy, heavy drugs and also very heavily stressed the danger of over use because they want me to be able to get help quickly for those days where life is hell without wasting time and money on going to a doctor just to get the same scrip again.

It is far from perfect, and like I said these are doctors I've known for many years through follow-up treatment, but just from speaking with those doctors they really do have a hard time watching people in pain if there is something that can be done to alleviate it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know Timby has had loving hell with his pain management lately

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

lol Disney is releasing the next Spider-Man in theaters this year despite a half million Americans losing their lives in a pandemic that hasn’t ended yet.

Wait...THIS year? Did they already film it or something?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

drugs safely administered by professionals

And that there is the problem. An awful lot of doctors are just careless about this. Your situation is completely different than someone like myself dealing with a temporary condition. A dozen percocets for my kidney stone was plenty. I only ended up ever taking two. I also live in an area that has one of the worst opiate problems in the country. In fact I got ignored at the emergency room that day because they assumed I was just looking for drugs, which they still ended up giving me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

Yeah

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

ruddiger posted:

They're releasing it in December and probably anticipating that as vaccination rollout ramps up that the U.S. theatrical market will probably reopen this summer.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
December is probably the absolute earliest theaters can safely reopen in earnest. It’s a possibility for Disney, but I wouldn’t say it’s likely, so I’m thinking the “December” is a tentative with the option to delay for a few months.

But now the question is if they really want Black Widow and Immortals out beforehand, or if it doesn’t really matter to them, like the way they swapped up Wandavision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier’s release order because their stories weren’t intertwined at all.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Gatts posted:

They shot it in 2020 mid-pandemic

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Theaters are open now in a lot of markets, they just don't have a ton of new movies to show.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Theaters are open now in a lot of markets, they just don't have a ton of new movies to show.

That’s why I said “in earnest.” Regal is also still closed mostly nationwide, which means my nearest movie theater is now half an hour away.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CPL593H posted:

And that there is the problem. An awful lot of doctors are just careless about this. Your situation is completely different than someone like myself dealing with a temporary condition. A dozen percocets for my kidney stone was plenty. I only ended up ever taking two. I also live in an area that has one of the worst opiate problems in the country. In fact I got ignored at the emergency room that day because they assumed I was just looking for drugs, which they still ended up giving me.

Yeah, I get it. I think my post came up a lot more in defense of some doctors and overprescribing than I intended. I was just trying to say that I've met quite a few doctors who seriously grapple with the restraints of the system versus trying to help people. With no really good solution, sometimes it's just the least bad way to help someone.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I've been making my way through Varda movies and I just put on Le Bonheur from 1965 which is just full of beautiful colour.

But what's been really tripping me out is that it has Jean Claude Drouot, apparently a famous Belgian actor, who looks exactly like Bill Hader. It's unnerving.

And as good as Varda's fiction work is, the later documentaries are just amazing. Though everyone should see Vagabond.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

ruddiger posted:

Is this a joke? They're planning on releasing it in December. 10 months seems like plenty time to be able to expect the majority of people to have been vaccinated, although admittedly I've not been keeping up with the details of the American vaccination programme.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

cargohills posted:

Is this a joke? They're planning on releasing it in December. 10 months seems like plenty time to be able to expect the majority of people to have been vaccinated, although admittedly I've not been keeping up with the details of the American vaccination programme.

You can only get a vaccine if you're a grampie and if vaccination sites have too many vaccines and not enough grampies that day they have to throw out the vaccine or else they won't get more vaccines.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

EXCEPT loving SHIN GODZILLA WHICH THEY DIDN'T EVEN SHOW IN THEATERS FOR MORE THAN LIKE THREE DAYS IN 2016 AND IT WAS LIKE FOUR PLACES. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

cargohills posted:

Being out the other end of this before at least another year is probably very optimistic and the vaccine doesn't really make you immune it just makes you less likely to die if you catch the virus.* Also, lol at the American vaccination program.

*Incorrect

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 26, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cargohills posted:

We were supposed be done with this poo poo last loving May, lol if you think our current timeline resembles the truth.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Most of Europe expects to have all at risk people vaccinated by the summer and maybe have enough of the general public to achieve herd immunity (60% or so) by late fall.

How realistic those expectations are is up for debate and will probably wildly vary from place to place and even if everything goes 100% according to plan there'll still be countries, poor ones, that won't even get their first doses of vaccine until 2022.

We're in this for a while unless the virus pulls a Spanish Flu and just randomly fizzles out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cargohills posted:

although admittedly I've not been keeping up with the details of the American vaccination programme.

cargohills posted:

Is this a joke?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Pretty sweet how they'll open theaters back up and force people back to work without even giving them a time frame for their shots. :thumbsup:

Hell, I've worked for the entire year and I still don't know if I'm going to be classified as an "essential worker" when those shots get distributed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There are also new strains of the virus that recently made their way into America which they're saying might be resistant to the vaccine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Being out the other end of this before at least another year is probably very optimistic and the vaccine doesn't really make you immune it just makes you less likely to die if you catch the virus.* Also, lol at the American vaccination program.

*Wrongness:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So we're all doomed. I'm glad I read this thread, otherwise I might have a tiny bit of hope.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

There are also new strains of the virus that recently made their way into America which they're saying might be resistant to the vaccine.

There's not a lot of evidence regarding the first two FDA approved vaccines protecting against newer strains because they were being tested well before these strains emerged, but the J&J vaccine which was treated much more recently does appear to protect against the more recent variants as well and we really have no evidence or good reason to think that the moderna and pfizer vaccines wouldn't also protect against them in a similar way.

Besides, even if 10 months isn't long enough to get enough of the population vaccinated to allow theaters to open safely and get butts into seats, it is definitely enough time to reschedule the release of the movie. Sony and Disney aren't going to put the movie in a theater until they're confident people will be willing to see it en masse.

They're soulless ultra capitalists, they're going to make decisions based entirely off of what's going to be the best thing for them financially. They're not like Nolan who only care about the abstract idea of releasing into theaters and are willing to sacrifice lives and money to guarantee that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's not a lot of evidence regarding the first two FDA approved vaccines protecting against newer strains because they were being tested well before these strains emerged, but the J&J vaccine which was treated much more recently does appear to protect against the more recent variants as well and we really have no evidence or good reason to think that the moderna and pfizer vaccines wouldn't also protect against them in a similar way.

Besides, even if 10 months isn't long enough to get enough of the population vaccinated to allow theaters to open safely and get butts into seats, it is definitely enough time to reschedule the release of the movie. Sony and Disney aren't going to put the movie in a theater until they're confident people will be willing to see it en masse.

They're soulless ultra capitalists, they're going to make decisions based entirely off of what's going to be the best thing for them financially. They're not like Nolan who only care about the abstract idea of releasing into theaters and are willing to sacrifice lives and money to guarantee that.

I think it was TrixRabbi who said this, but someone here pointed out that it's the Marvel movies that will probably keep the theater chains from going down. Much as I hate to say it, that's probably correct. But that said, who's to say that they're not going to trying streaming/VOD along with the theatrical release. I'm sure they could make money on it that way, although you won't have ever individual watcher paying to see it. They might also take a page from WB's book and use it to get more people to buy their app. Who the gently caress knows?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I very much doubt Spider Man is going to go to Disney+ just given Sony's role in the production. That said, I don't think at this point Disney wants to put any of their really big tentpoles on VOD if they can help it. The latest Pixar or princess-esque movie sure, but they know the Marvel poo poo is where their bread is buttered right now and they're calculating how they can get a big one to be one of the first big theater releases and really maximize dollars. VOD or Disney+ are going to be absolute last resorts for that. I could see it with a smaller production like Black Widow or whatever they're doing with Falcon but the big names (spider man 3, black panther 2, guardians 3, thor 4, probably dr strange 2) are going to be theater exclusive for at least a few months unless financial things get really loving dire for them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I very much doubt Spider Man is going to go to Disney+ just given Sony's role in the production. That said, I don't think at this point Disney wants to put any of their really big tentpoles on VOD if they can help it. The latest Pixar or princess-esque movie sure, but they know the Marvel poo poo is where their bread is buttered right now and they're calculating how they can get a big one to be one of the first big theater releases and really maximize dollars. VOD or Disney+ are going to be absolute last resorts for that. I could see it with a smaller production like Black Widow or whatever they're doing with Falcon but the big names (spider man 3, black panther 2, guardians 3, thor 4, probably dr strange 2) are going to be theater exclusive for at least a few months unless financial things get really loving dire for them.

Wait. They're doing a Black Panther 2? Why can't they just not do that?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apparently they're going to figure out a way to resurrect MBJ because lol they had a perfect opportunity with an extremely charismatic leading man whose character could have had a fantastic redemption story but nope it's a Marvel movie gotta kill the main villain literally every time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently they're going to figure out a way to resurrect MBJ because lol they had a perfect opportunity with an extremely charismatic leading man whose character could have had a fantastic redemption story but nope it's a Marvel movie gotta kill the main villain literally every time.

Do the thing they did in Beerfest where he comes out and tells everyone he's the dead guy's identical twin and then everyone should act like he's the same guy and never mention that again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Baron von Eevl posted:

They can bring him back

Just sayian'

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
We will be seeing movies in theaters by the end of the year. The vaccines have proved to do remarkably well against the current strains and there’s good evidence that a third shot of the Pfizer vaccine will take care of all the variants. That plus the J&J vaccine which shows to do very welL against the variants, along with the antibodies from people who’ve been infected, is all very promising. Things are lovely but there’s no reason to think they’ll continue to be lovely. The USA rollout of the vaccine is insanely good. 1.5 million people a day and it’s only going up. Yes you’re chances of getting it if you’re not 60+ aren’t high right now, but they aren’t zero. I know plenty of people in their 30’s who’ve gotten vaccinated.

COVID is here to stay whether or not we like it, it’ll be another seasonal flu. But thinking we’ll be quarantined hard the way we have been for another 10 months is delusional. Just look at the south and all the progress they’ve made. But joking aside good things are on the horizon. whatever it takes to convince me I’ll see Dune in theaters in the fall.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
1.5 million vaccines a day sounds impressive until you consider everybody most likely needs two each. Even J&J is researching a booster shot to compensate for their vaccine’s relatively low effectiveness.

But outside of the rate of vaccination, there is still logistics to it. Right now the aim with the vaccines is the absolutely demonic goal of reopening schools within the new administration’s first 100 days, and a lot of how well the US does with the (hopefully) tail end of this pandemic is going to hinge on whether or not the Biden administration slams that goal through regardless of how ready we are - because at the current rates we are not on track to have every school worker across the country vaccinated in time, and we’re not even talking about vaccinating the students. Schools are absolute hotbeds for disease, and reopening them should be very far down the list of priorities, but a lot of families have come to depend on them to watch their kids for half the time, not to mention the social programs offered for lower-class families through them. Instead of doing any work to adapt these social programs for the home, we are instead shoving the kids back in the building and insisting they’ll be just fine.

It is extremely unlikely the US is going to stick the landing on reopening schools, and if that happens, you can pretty much bet we’re not gonna be in shape to reopen movie theaters - an even lesser priority - until like early-mid 2022.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

Wait. They're doing a Black Panther 2? Why can't they just not do that?

B-b-but money!?!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is not the kind of trendsetter I wanted to be.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
CPL turn your skin to gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The United States posted:

They can bring him back

Just sayian'

I'm actually upset I never made this connection.