Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

mcdonalds is bringing back the hi c orange drink

maybe they can bring back decent fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

i also lose health insurance if i lose my job

are there job-independent plans available ?

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Yes, but obviously you're then going to be paying the full cost if your company had been subsidizing some or all of the cost, and individual plans are also disadvantageous for tax reasons because they aren't deductible like company health insurance premiums.

(Before 2010 the answer might have been "no" if you had a preexisting condition.)

It's also just a massive inconvenience to have to switch health insurance plans (and probably companies) whenever you switch jobs, or move between states if you're using individual plans, because you'll quite possibly have to switch doctors as well.

You can also keep your company health plan for 18 months after leaving a job in which case you pay the full amount yourself and possibly also a small surcharge, and in this case your premiums are tax deductible for whatever reason.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 26, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

with enough money, all things are available.

just purchasing insurance outright, assuming you're healthy and in the prime of life, is something like 30k/year iirc

mystes
May 31, 2006

Everything about us health insurance is really bad:
- The premiums are super expensive
- You still pay insane amounts of money even with insurance.
- If you don't have insurance you're basically going to bankrupt if you need any medical procedure done.
- With insurance you have to be extremely careful about going to the right doctor, and if you gently caress it up (or they gently caress it up) you can be on the hook for basically unlimited money
- It's hard to figure out what your insurance will even cover in advance (if you ask, both your insurance provider and doctor will probably give you wrong information)
- You have to switch it when you switch jobs or move
- They'll use any excuse not to cover stuff (wrong hospital, you were outside the state and didn't get your emergency treatment authorized within 48 hours, etc.)

It's really mindblowing as an american that in other countries you can just go to any doctor and not have to worry that you'll go bankrupt because your insurance will refuse to cover it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's a lot of broken poo poo in america but if i have to pick one that's most important, it's healthcare

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
it depends on you want but you can buy them through the obamacare market.

200-300 per month: will take your normally immediate bankruptcy causing hospital visit only cost $20,000 to $50,000 if you can pay that immediately. otherwise still bankruptcy.

500-600 per month same, but reduces it to $6000-10,000. might have an optional dental and vision plan for extra.

$1000+ per month: real plans start here.

plans computer touchers and other “good” white collar jobs get through work are like $18k per year and up.

that’s for a healthy dude in 20s or 30s. having a uterus anywhere near the plan causes a 50-70% increase.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and i presume jobs at wendy’s don’t include insurance?

i’ve never once had a job perk like insurance or anything. they do exist but i’ve never myself

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’ve never once had a job perk like insurance or anything. they do exist but i’ve never myself

only computer touchers and finance jerks who work at big multinationals get it as standard in the UK/Aus/NZ in my experience

git apologist fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

if you are not in a skilled white collar position, you probably have to pay that out of your own pocket.

uber driver? no you are an independent contractor
service industry or restaurant? lol no
blue collar or low-mid pay white collar? it really really depends on your employer and how much they want to avoid turnover.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i would like to do a couple of years in the US which I could easily do in my current job. My wife used to be keen too but ever since we had kids my wife just doesn’t want to subject us all to the US healthcare system and I can’t say I disagree with her

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

my partner is part blackfoot so she pays $3/month for everything-covered healthcare on the tribal plan. it's a nice relief considering all her health issues

curious about how stuff like this is funded. federal settlement & tribal investment returns? hoping it’s more of the former than anything.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife is on a medication that is $28,000+ every other month. If insurance ever decides they don’t want to cover it anymore we’re turbofucked lol

lol!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

if they offer it it'll be more than a fast food worker makes. companies will do everything they can to keep an employee "part time" which is typically one hour a week short of full time so they don't have to offer benefits

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

my first white collar job paid for everything, health and dental. no premium, no deductible, and insurance paid a huge portion of costs immediately. it was great but i couldn't live on good insurance and $27,000 a year.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My wife is on a medication that is $28,000+ every other month. If insurance ever decides they don’t want to cover it anymore we’re turbofucked lol

cna I ask what it is?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cat Face Joe posted:

my first white collar job paid for everything, health and dental. no premium, no deductible, and insurance paid a huge portion of costs immediately. it was great but i couldn't live on good insurance and $27,000 a year.

why not? that’s probably what the median individual income at the time was, plus great insurance

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why not? that’s probably what the median individual income at the time was, plus great insurance

how old do you think i am

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cat Face Joe posted:

median personal income in the us was around $28,000 a year for full time workers last i checked (2016 iirc)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

this (one of) the op’s honeypot threads. be careful!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

median personal income in the us was around $28,000 a year for full time workers last i checked (2016 iirc)

yeah whether this is livable depends a ton on where you are in the US.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

cna I ask what it is?

Stellara, she has Crohn's Disease and responded poorly to Remicade. Stellara is all that keeps it in remission.

Once she stops responding well to Stellara we'll be off on a magical adventure full of colon resections

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

worth trying an ultra restrictive zerocarb or 'carnivore' diet at that point? I've read lots of people with chrons/ibd/ibs see improvement/remission with it and it's healthy enough from a nutrition pov just very boring

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my stepdads beer posted:

worth trying an ultra restrictive zerocarb or 'carnivore' diet at that point? I've read lots of people with chrons/ibd/ibs see improvement/remission with it and it's healthy enough from a nutrition pov just very boring

i don’t know, im not qualified to weigh in on this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

i don’t know, im not qualified to weigh in on this

what are you qualified to weigh in on, other than a truck scale?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

i’ve heard some good things about this regarding “resetting” gut biome which interest me

mystes
May 31, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

it's healthy enough from a nutrition pov just very boring
Really?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

weirdly, yeah. the only vitamin missing is C and apparently if you're only eating meat the need for it is much reduced. the cure for sailors with scurvy before people worked out limes used to be fresh meat too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stringent posted:

what are you qualified to weigh in on, other than a truck scale?

:eyepop:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

wendys takes the crown for hosed Up Their Fast Food Chain The Most Since 2010

I want the old double stack and the old fries. i don't care about your $9 brioche bacon cheddar mushroom swiss triple with a bread and butter pickle on it.

they've got a korean bbq burger right now with these pickled onions on it that's delicious tbh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

they've got a korean bbq burger right now with these pickled onions on it that's delicious tbh

woah. do want.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

maybe they can bring back decent fries

:rip: beef tallow fries

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wendys old fries were garbage and always cold or soggy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

wendys old fries were garbage and always cold or soggy

sir this is a

wait gently caress

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

sir this is a

wait gently caress

:mmmhmm:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

She doesn't eat meat as a matter of course, maybe once a month due to ethnical concerns. We don't prep it at home at all.

She's mostly on a diet of cruciferous vegetables and greens and she hasn't had any flare-ups since 2018 when she ended up in the hospital with acute kidney failure. She doesn't really have symptoms day-to-day but there's always that fear in the back of your mind.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stellara, she has Crohn's Disease and responded poorly to Remicade. Stellara is all that keeps it in remission.

Once she stops responding well to Stellara we'll be off on a magical adventure full of colon resections

poo poo ... those “mabs” can be good but they ain’t cheap as you know drat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

weirdly, yeah. the only vitamin missing is C and apparently if you're only eating meat the need for it is much reduced. the cure for sailors with scurvy before people worked out limes used to be fresh meat too

scurvy wasn’t just a product of lack of vitamin c but probably induced by a very carb heavy diet, about all that survived long on boat trips was white flour and white sugar. a diet based on those two ingredients only meats the most basic of requirements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

sir this is a

wait gently caress

lol