Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
star anuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think I'm in the clear on this computer thing folks. The old "throw everything you can think of at it" strategy seems to have done it. Before, it would crash like once an hour if I was running HOI4. Been going three hours now with no trouble. Best guess it was probably thermal but who knows. She's back, baby!

Thank you for your support during this trying time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Best guess it was probably thermal but who knows. She's back, baby!

I feel like I should probably crack my computer open and clean all the fans and heatsinks and reapply the thermal paste on my GPU and CPU, would probably lead to a noticeable performance increase from reduced thermal throttling.

On the other hand, my computer currently works and I feel like every time you open a computer there's a 50% chance you'll spend the next two days just trying to get it to boot again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tip posted:

I feel like I should probably crack my computer open and clean all the fans and heatsinks and reapply the thermal paste on my GPU and CPU, would probably lead to a noticeable performance increase from reduced thermal throttling.

On the other hand, my computer currently works and I feel like every time you open a computer there's a 50% chance you'll spend the next two days just trying to get it to boot again.

I have never actually hosed up my computer by working on it, but I've deathly afraid I'm going to every time.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I think I'm in the clear on this computer thing folks. The old "throw everything you can think of at it" strategy seems to have done it. Before, it would crash like once an hour if I was running HOI4. Been going three hours now with no trouble. Best guess it was probably thermal but who knows. She's back, baby!

Thank you for your support during this trying time.

There's a Hearts of Iron 4?!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent on the original and various mods

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 26, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

A woman just messaged me on a dating app and I immediately recognized her as someone I went on a date with 10+ years ago.

The last time this happened I went on a very awkward date where the woman told me that when we last dated she had lied about everything, was married, and also loving a few other people and she just wanted to apologize. Then she told me that she was fixing up a van to move into and would like to be pregnant within 6 months.

I guess wish me better luck this time, lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a gentleman would buy her an account

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

gary oldmans diary posted:

a gentleman would buy her an account

The one in the van or the new one?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Online dating sucks so much rear end lol.

I mean I’ve gotten things out of it. But it’s a circus the whole way along.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Online dating sucks so much rear end lol.

I mean I’ve gotten things out of it. But it’s a circus the whole way along.

At the beginning of 2020 I had big plans for how I was going to be more social and get out and do more things, meet new people in real life.

2020 lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games
hey sunless sea is free. pretty good game

Tip posted:

At the beginning of 2020 I had big plans for how I was going to be more social and get out and do more things, meet new people in real life.

2020 lol
dont worry. an arbitrary number changing was probably not going to be a lasting motivational force anyway

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

dont worry. an arbitrary number changing was probably not going to be a lasting motivational force anyway

This is a weird assumption on your part, I didn't say it was my new year's resolution.

I'd spent the previous two years working on getting my company off the ground and made many sacrifices including the vast majority of my time and energy. Finally reached a point where I felt like I could pull back a bit and return to being more sociable and then the world closed down.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tip posted:

This is a weird assumption on your part, I didn't say it was my new year's resolution.
"at the beginning of 2020" is phrasing it like an informal new years resolution. not really a weird assumption at all

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Please do not bicker in chill threads. Especially about such a minute point.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

"at the beginning of 2020" is phrasing it like an informal new years resolution. not really a weird assumption at all

If it was a new year's resolution I would have made it at the end of 2019, you absolute fool :eng101:

lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its weekend time

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Please do not bicker in chill threads. Especially about such a minute point.

Bickering really gets the page count up

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Any minute now Gary will show up to be like "I said INFORMAL new year's resolution" and before you know it page 1000

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tip posted:

Any minute now Gary will show up to be like "I said INFORMAL new year's resolution" and before you know it page 1000
heh we both knew i already covered my bases
i was arguing with a goon last year and we could both tell one another were doing it like a game. we ended up pm reminiscing about how it was like the good old days of gbs

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fellas im doing this "exam" thats due in noon tomorrow and i gotta say
i am dogshit at math

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gonna feel good to get to page 100 ngl

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

What should we do when we hit 1000 pages?

I can think of three options right now:
#1: announce mission accomplished and lock the thread
#2: rename the thread to the 10,000 page thread
#3: just keep keeping on, ignoring all the people who pop in to say, "I thought this was the 1000 page thread but it's actually 1003 pages :btroll:"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

24 hour countdown until thread gets locked where we try to sprint post to get as many pages as we can. But drunk posting will be mandatory

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

do any of you know anything about trigonometry this poo poo's due in like 4 hours

i have tried my damndest but everything i can think of needs me to know either another side or the angle
afaik i literally only have the hypotenuse

yes, im doing THIS basic maths in university, im on a foundation year

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So the long square must be 5cm^2, the other two are 3 and 4cm?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sebmojo posted:

So the long square must be 5cm^2, the other two are 3 and 4cm?

how'd you figure that
i thought pythagoras needed you to know more than 1 side

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hbag posted:

how'd you figure that
i thought pythagoras needed you to know more than 1 side

Ok so, with pythagorean theorem we know a squared plus b squared equals c squared, and we know c squared is 25.

We also know that the ratio of the remaining sides is 9:16, with b being the 9 and a being the 16. The actual values of both of these will be less than 5, as the hypotenuse is the longest side.

So let's reduce 9/16 to something where both numbers are under 5, like 3/4, and then plug those numbers into the pythagorean theorem and see if they make sense.

3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2
9 + 16 = 25

Yep, that works.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

...oh, huh

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wait, actually, I was high and hosed that up really badly, lol

9/16 does not go to 3/4, I divided one by 3 and one by 4.

And I also realized looking back at it now that it said the area ratio of those two squares was 9:16, so the ratio of the lengths would actually be the square root of each of those.

So, square root of 9 is 3 and square root of 16 is 4, so ratio of your a and b lengths will be 3:4.

So the original answer we came up with of 3 and 4 fits the correct of ratio of 3:4.

Note: I'm still high and also I've never taken trigonometry

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The highest math I had to take in college was a class called "math for artists".

The first couple weeks covered addition and subtraction.

The final was to create an art project about math. I made a 3d animation set to the Star Trek theme of flying through space past big bubbles with math problems like E=MC^2 in them. After about 10 seconds everything exploded and "MATH IS FUN!" flew out from the center.

I spent very little time and was being very sarcastic but I got an A+.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm now a computer programmer. :awesome:

and artist

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

I have never actually hosed up my computer by working on it, but I've deathly afraid I'm going to every time.

I actually worked as a real life computer toucher (as in for a large company, on an industrial bench type style not just "Oh excel crashed?" type touchin') ...it's actually loving HARD to seriously dick your computer. Like, I know there's all the caveats that go with saying something like that, but really you'd be surprised how tough it is to actually gently caress poo poo up just by cracking it open and working the guts around a little.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My ancient Apple laptop (11 years) is possibly reaching the end of its life

It's blipping and blooping and occasionally freezing for 20 seconds, but useable for the most part still. Internet says its the logicboard :(

When I start getting money again (yay covid) I'm thinking of investing in a decent gaming laptop. Heard good things about MSI

Any thoughts?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

heh we both knew i already covered my bases
i was arguing with a goon last year and we could both tell one another were doing it like a game. we ended up pm reminiscing about how it was like the good old days of gbs

And then u kissed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hbag posted:

do any of you know anything about trigonometry this poo poo's due in like 4 hours

i have tried my damndest but everything i can think of needs me to know either another side or the angle
afaik i literally only have the hypotenuse

yes, im doing THIS basic maths in university, im on a foundation year

Goku

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

My ancient Apple laptop (11 years) is possibly reaching the end of its life

It's blipping and blooping and occasionally freezing for 20 seconds, but useable for the most part still. Internet says its the logicboard :(

When I start getting money again (yay covid) I'm thinking of investing in a decent gaming laptop. Heard good things about MSI

Any thoughts?

Like, it super depends on your price bracket and what model you're looking at.
Honestly what you need to do is set a price point, and then start doing searches for 'X component' in that bracket and see what's up. There are MSI boards that are really good, and there are some that are crappy. But, they also have a $500 price spectrum and which are where on that spectrum don't match what you might think.

It's a bugger.

The same goes for all your components. Give yourself a budget, stick to it, and prioritize on what you want. Make sure all the parts click together and she'll be good to go.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 26, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got a Dell G3 3500
its pretty fuckin neato but it was like £850 or something

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

However, what that one dude posted about 're-applying thermal paste'?

...I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. Don't unseat thermal coupling stuff, even if you think it's hosed. If it's hosed, it's hosed. If it's not, you're going to gently caress it. Don't touch that.
Which kinda goes against my previous "Oh it's hard to mess poo poo up" post, but, really, you can literally bend the motherboard to cram RAM into or out of a slot or do whatever, all of that stuff is cool. Don't gently caress with thermal stuff on your proc. I guess that's the 'caveat' part of my previous post. I do know why that stuff is so weird, but it's dumb as poo poo nerd stuff.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 26, 2021

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

And then u kissed
you said you wouldnt tell anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im really hungry rn