Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Marcade posted:

Making changes on live without testing.
A lead dev made a change to the maximum size allowed for uploaded files by users, tested it herself, pushed to production, and then took a 3 week leave.

Somehow broke 3 totally unrelated systems.

There's no documentation, and no one has a clue what she did. The systems that are hosed are all externally hosted by our worst, most tech illiterate client, and can't be debugged by anyone who isn't onsite with them.

I dumped the ticket on one of her devs with a note that basically amounted to "Your boss has hosed this so hard our team can't even figure out how it's hosed." at 4:59PM and then left for the day.

BA Lyfe :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

goatface posted:

Someone at work asked if we needed to have a mechanism to purge all Teams and Yammer data more than 7 (maybe 10, I forget) years old like we do serious business emails. I think the committee is still arguing about that one.

The company I work for purges all chat/instant message stuff from Teams older than two days. It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.

Combo posted:

Turns out, he's having an issue with the default mail app on MacOS that even Apple support apparently can't really help him with. He sent an email, I told him we use Office 365, just install that and everything will be fine.

One of our marketing guys has a MacBook and refuses to install 'micro$oft poo poo' so has to access everything via the office web portal (that doesn't count as Microsoft apparently).

I've given up arguing with him and just refer him to a random person to go and rant at. He sent our CTO an email referring to MFA as 'needy bullshit' which I quite enjoyed.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm starting to come around to Agile project management for projects where you're developing something new. I spent many years in consulting under a fiercely aspergers PMs that demanded everything be captured into a gantt chart in the traditional way. For anything but the most repetitive and derivative type of work things would change so much over the course of the development that 3/4s of the plan would not every remotely resemble what was happening, yet we would still report and update it as if it was. The time you spend in meetings at the start and end of sprint cycle under Agile are much less of a burden to me than trying to maintain the illusion of the divine loving 400 task long gantt chart.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm starting to come around to Agile project management for projects where you're developing something new. I spent many years in consulting under a fiercely aspergers PMs that demanded everything be captured into a gantt chart in the traditional way. For anything but the most repetitive and derivative type of work things would change so much over the course of the development that 3/4s of the plan would not every remotely resemble what was happening, yet we would still report and update it as if it was. The time you spend in meetings at the start and end of sprint cycle under Agile are much less of a burden to me than trying to maintain the illusion of the divine loving 400 task long gantt chart.

Oh hey, it's the actual use case for Agile! I'm glad that someone ended up using Agile for it, if only by dumb luck!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Cum Galleon posted:

One of our marketing guys has a MacBook and refuses to install 'micro$oft poo poo' so has to access everything via the office web portal (that doesn't count as Microsoft apparently).

I've given up arguing with him and just refer him to a random person to go and rant at. He sent our CTO an email referring to MFA as 'needy bullshit' which I quite enjoyed.

I wish I could send this guy somewhere else but we're a small company and I'm kind of it.

It's funny though as he's saying Apple mail is critical to his process and has been for the last 4 years and he'd be less efficient if he had to change now, which is him completely ignoring the fact that he's been using unsupported software for 4 years and now if it breaks it's someone else's fault. His old mac had Office 365 on it too, I honestly didn't know he wasn't using it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was told to fix an issue that I've not only didn't know was an issue but didn't know existed on a task Ive been doing otherwise without issue for four months and attended all training for. I asked for more info as there was no explanation and was directed to a confluence page. The confluence page has no information about this.

I pointed this out and the response has been complete silence. My last day is in 3 weeks so jokes on them, I can run out the clock harder.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 26, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Combo posted:

he's just a Apple r*tard.

Cool

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Don't worry, I reported them for bashing on Apple. Despicable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The best OS is the AWS Lambda Linux AM2 docker image because it shuts off every 15 minutes or less.

All meetings should be joined from this OS

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

My work is very security conscious, and my particular area more so than most. That’s good, I get it. But getting zoom, gotomeeting, bluejeans or some other oddball meeting software to work has been a nightmare. The guys have said “you have meeting software, just use that!” And seem to not understand that we might be trying to join someone else’s meeting ever

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

20200127 filename
2020 Feb 1 filename tf 2
Filename
Filename1
Filename2
Filename 20200220
Filename draft
Filename draft ht edit
Filename final
Filename final draft
Filename final draft 2
Filename final edit
Filename v2

The actual final version is saved somewhere else.

This is violence.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Time_pants posted:

This is violence.

It triggered me and when I finally forgot about it you brought it back up.

:argh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Without wanting to traumatize posters too much: What's the actual best method for document control? I like having the date but more than one edit a day turns into 20210226a bullshit. Just Filenamev01 through v99 seems the most straight forward and idiot proof (hah). No 'final' version, just pdf it or call it final when it's really done. All prior pdfs or 'finals' get deleted.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yep my bad, ate a probation for it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My sister is a video editor. She sent this screenshot with a caption like: "This is what you get when teenagers try to keep track of the versions!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Outrail posted:

Without wanting to traumatize posters too much: What's the actual best method for document control? I like having the date but more than one edit a day turns into 20210226a bullshit. Just Filenamev01 through v99 seems the most straight forward and idiot proof (hah). No 'final' version, just pdf it or call it final when it's really done. All prior pdfs or 'finals' get deleted.

That's basically what I do. I ain't saying it's the best, but as long as there's only one version in the end it solves most of the issues.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Barudak posted:

You just reminded me a year ago one of the accounts I worked on sent out a huge email that we were going to switch to agile development and we had to brief the client and all this jazz. None of the material ever went into describing what a story was, calibrating points, and you know the other stuff that makes agile like actually function. Everyone worldwide starts panicking as nobody anywhere in this business has ever done agile before because, uh, this is an advertising company and Agile makes no loving sense whatsoever. There is no training material ever shared and every market is left to their own devices to figure out how the hell they're supposed to make it work.

Of course the entire thing was quietly dropped about a week after its supposed launch and has never been mentioned again.

It's fascinating to read this thread about real software developers using Agile and it having a positive impact. I'm not in advertising but in a non-tech role and we've gone whole hog with Agile. And Scrum. And Kanban. And now we're Scrumban (someone in another thread assured me that was real.) All moving towards "Activation" that is going to change everything but I cannot find a coherent explanation of what that will be. Sure is a good excuse to give consultants millions of dollars and keep our management in meetings every minute of the day.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Outrail posted:

Yeah I just have version numbers (just a simple '1.1' ascending from there), then when it's finalized I take all of that off and just leave the actual document name for wider distribution.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've been working in a T&D department exclusively on Agile for years and it works just fine

It makes a hell of a lot more sense than Gantt charting yourself into oblivion

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My sister is a video editor. She sent this screenshot with a caption like: "This is what you get when teenagers try to keep track of the versions!"

Final copy pro

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Agile methods work well for a certain class of problems, but they're no substitute for a functional organizational culture. A lot of organizations have horribly dysfunctional cultures or try to apply agile to the wrong things (or both), and that never ends well.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ClothHat posted:

Imagine 70 people simultaneously singing happy birthday over Zoom.

A coworker thinks they are a mindfulness instructor now, as they took a four hour course and got a certificate, so during yesterday's mandatory meeting there was ten minutes of 40 coworkers on video with eyes closed breathing intensely. As my video/sound were off I just glanced every few minutes to confirm they were still at it and kept doing work.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Anyone else here have some boomer bosses that whip themselves up into a frenzy about WFH andhow we need to get back into the office every few weeks?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

poisonpill posted:

Anyone else here have some boomer bosses that whip themselves up into a frenzy about WFH andhow we need to get back into the office every few weeks?

My chair keeps wanting to meet in the office to talk about documents we can both access online to prepare for a meeting that's going to be entirely on zoom. I just don't get it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cum Galleon posted:

My company doesn't give you an option on the OS/hardware you get assigned. Everyone gets a specific model of Dell laptop or desktop depending on your role and it's always running Windows 10.

One of the developers who retired last year when the COVID packages came out absolutely refused to touch Microsoft stuff and had modified one of the spare toughbooks that an internal customer had declined to use to be his personal machine. Because his job was to write programs that would run on machines hooked to our company network he never set off any alarms.

We had another guy who repurposed a retired rig to be his personal email server so he didn't have to touch Outlook. You would get emails from firstname@lastname.com when he wanted something or had a problem. Part of our team's overhead budget each year had been keeping these two things going so the developers didn't have to use Windows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

poisonpill posted:

So far no, surprisingly. Some of our MegaCorp depts do need to be in the office to look at product samples but they got them spaced out enough that they've been back in for a while and I think that was a sort of pressure release valve as upper management sees people there rather than empty spaces. A VP made an offhand comment taking into account where an employee had moved to in proximity to the office, and while I don't want to read too much into it, it sounded like they may been at least considering more WFH in the future.

I'd be fine with 100% WFH, our office is a dump without enough parking and located in an upscale unaffordable suburb so nearly everyone has a long commute. I get more done from home and don't mind working an extra hour some days to finish up work, while I almost never did that in office as I needed to leave on time to beat traffic.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
When covid started it was floated that maybe we don't really need an office space at all, ever. Staff could work from home indefinitely and they could just store our equipment in their garages or something. Never mind we do a lot of field work and need drying racks and freezer space for samples and also I'd need to turn my spare room into a wetlab and I wouldn't have room in my garage for all of my poo poo. Still it's possible right?

They only dropped it when I said if the company wanted space in our homes they'd have to pay rent, and the combined cost would be larger than just renting a drat office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Our office is talking about far, far fewer people being in the office full time generally, but that's mostly the admin side people. There were already people doing my job and living 400-odd miles away who only ever came to the office for a day every 3-6 months.

It is at the point where it might push bodies down so low that discussions are ongoing about conversion of some open plan back into offices for the people who want a permanent desk for F/T work in the building. They'll probably just compress everyone down and search for tenants though.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite is dealing with Exchange emails on Apple Devices because they just don't work easily together, and either side with blame the other for the issues.

One owner of the company will claim that his device acted a certain way but it was years ago so it might have just been a false memory. Also doesn't help that Apple and other tech companies will drop features with no replacements, and I get to be the one to explain to people that no it's not my fault that your favorite game no longer works on your 15 year old device and the only way to fix it is new hardware.

All these constant patches and new versions are really loving with the boomers. Thank you Microsoft for coming out with a subscription Office and then coming out with a 2021 version too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I live like a block from my office so I really don't mind going in again. Right now I'm wfh one day a week and I never get anything done on that day so it's probably for the best. Office is pretty spacious so I don't feel that threatened

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Play posted:

I live like a block from my office so I really don't mind going in again. Right now I'm wfh one day a week and I never get anything done on that day so it's probably for the best. Office is pretty spacious so I don't feel that threatened

I also live like one block away, but I don't want to go back because I like just wearing pajamas and my cats keeping my feet warm and I can do all the same things from my home anyways

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

:psyduck:

I haven't had to worry about this since using Google Docs, since it natively handles multiple edits and version history. If you can't use a web tool like that, I'm sure you've got some SharePoint instance you can use. It's got atomic locking, I know, but it's better than nothing. If you don't have SharePoint:

- If you're at least a little tech savvy, along with everyone who would touch that doc, you might want to consider using version control software.

- If not, you don't have much of a choice but to do filename-based time-stamping. If you're making multiple edits a day, add the hour + minute to the timestamp. You can, of course, also search by the last modified timestamp, assuming you don't touch anything in the file and auto save.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We switched from Outlook to Gmail about 8 years ago, bless whoever pushed that through. Self-updating browsers so no more multiple versions of IE, access from mobile devices, and easy to find resources. Plus they enabled two-step verification by default which despite boomer complaints about needing to carry their phone to meetings if they are setting up a presentation has definitely saved the company millions by making it harder to prevent bad actors from having a field day with accounts.

That changeover was an interesting learning experience, some longtimers had real questions about changes from Outlook to Gmail and once assisted retained the info. Others would point at an Excel document and complain "the Gmail" had broken it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's the best email I ever got from one of our field techs. No information, no context, no nothing - just three words, his typical Windows 3.1 background, and his name.

Oh god, I got PSTD from my call center job from that email. The supervisors would always send out emails in with wordart, coloured fonts and clipart out the rear end to try to make us sell more internet upgrades, or to announce a pizza party that they had to micromanage because their existence would be without meaning. The only good thing I have heard from that place since I left 5 years is that they fired a Supervisor who was forging signatures on letters of discipline because she was too scared to serve them to her employees but she had no problem giving out terminations and suspensions. Also the gay supervisor who sexually harassed any good looking fit men but got away with it because he was best friends with the person running the call center got arrested jerking off loudly in a gas station bathroom.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Play posted:

Longer commute here (35 min) but same. There's one person within 30 feet of me that I don't have multiple walls in the way for, I make almost no contact outside of that, and WFH is hell thanks to a combo of no usable office space + our network being garbage (another layer of legacy software I might not have talked about) + ADHD shredding my focus without the social pressure of coworkers around to keep me on task.

One of 6 or 7 people in the whole company that came in during that last bit of winter hell up here. Better than trying to work from home (and I forgot my laptop anyway).

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

poisonpill posted:

I'm not a boomer and don't really care if people come back, but I am annoyed that all of our people that work from home probably do less than 2 hours of work per day. But that's a person thing not a WFH thing.

I work at somewhat of a factory, and we've been working here the whole time, except the upstairs admin staff (basically sales and HR), who all work from home now. When covid started, all those admin people were part of the main phone tree. When they all left, even though they're able to answer their phones at home as well, guess what? Nobody did, and it eventually fell to me.

So I was doing my normal job of managing a department, IT, phones, and now answering about 70% of the calls to the main line of our office.

I had customers calling the main line looking for sales, and I'd start to direct them to the sales guy for that part of the company (Apple dipshit from my previous post), and the customer would say they've been trying to get ahold of him for weeks with no answers, could they please deal with anyone else but him. So I just started forwarding them all directly to his boss instead.

Maybe I'm just bitter that there are plenty of people here still that haven't missed a day at all to keep this company actually productive so we all have jobs but every time I have to call a sales person they're doing literally anything but working.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Outrail posted:

20200127 filename
2020 Feb 1 filename tf 2
Filename
Filename1
Filename2
Filename 20200220
Filename draft
Filename draft ht edit
Filename final
Filename final draft
Filename final draft 2
Filename final edit
Filename v2

The actual final version is saved somewhere else.

how dare you attack me like this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Longer commute here (35 min) but same. There's one person within 30 feet of me that I don't have multiple walls in the way for, I make almost no contact outside of that, and WFH is hell thanks to a combo of no usable office space + our network being garbage (another layer of legacy software I might not have talked about) + ADHD shredding my focus without the social pressure of coworkers around to keep me on task.

One of 6 or 7 people in the whole company that came in during that last bit of winter hell up here. Better than trying to work from home (and I forgot my laptop anyway).

Yeah. Probably not a coincidence that I also have pretty bad ADD. Also I'm just straight up lazy and when I'm chilling at home I just want to play video games and drink beer, not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Couple of years ago our company was bought out by an US multinational.

Slowly but surely things have changed from let's do it (originating in a team) to just do it (some boss' stupid idea).

Inventiveness and cooperation have been replace by fear and competition.

I'm expecting a black swan event