Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I wouldn't say Michigan is better than Gonzaga or Baylor, but I will say that the gap between 1-2 and 3 seems a lot closer than I thought it was. Iowa is a really strong team, especially on offense, and they just got rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

I mean no but that sure sucked a lot

Who has a better resume?

It’s not Gonzaga.

E: Baylor doesn’t impress me either

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 26, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm picking Michigan to win the whole thing on my brackets.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Who has a better resume?

It’s not Gonzaga.

I don't care about resume Gonzaga is just better. That team is insanely loaded. They're like four points clear of everyone else in KenPom for a reason.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

mcmagic posted:

I'm picking Michigan to win the whole thing on my brackets.

I bet them at +700

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

what the hell Sparty where is this coming from?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
MSU is going to split with Michigan because life sucks and then you die.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
AZTECS

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

MourningView posted:

MSU is not going to make it just because they won one game they still suck rear end

what did i say about cutting off and burying the head

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly don't see how you keep Michigan State out of the tournament at this point, barring a collapse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

guess who won a basketball game

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

R.D. Mangles posted:

guess who won a basketball game

illinois without ayo, which isn't going to happen again. maybe the march game against michigan can get pushed back til he's healthy , like they pushed back the prior matchup

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

please do not take shine from the glorious wildcat

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Pitt had their two of their leading scorers transfer within 24 hours of each other in Xavier Johnson and Audiese Toney. Justin Champagnie is almost assuredly going to leave this dumpster fire for the NBA next year. Pitt also does not have any recruits for 2021 or 2022 committed. While the program has been largely irrelevant since it left the Big East to join the ACC, Jeff Capel was widely assumed to be a front runner for the Duke job when Coach K retires. Not much has really come out about people leaving (Johnson butted heads with Capel for being talented but emotional and getting technicals) other than Capel saying he's happy to have scholarships for "players who want to be here", but his shine is wearing off after having the team fall apart in February each year and having people leave unexpectedly.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern was ranked 25 in the country, 3-0 against the big ten and then lost 13 games in a row.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern was ranked 25 in the country, 3-0 against the big ten and then lost 13 games in a row.

That schedule during the losing streak is hilariously brutal. Iowa x2, Illinois x2, Rutgers x2, Wisconsin x2, Michigan, OSU, Purdue, IU, Penn State. The Penn State one is really the only unforgivable one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Penn State isn't even really bad I think they've given every T1 Big Ten team at least a brief scare before collapsing late.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

That schedule during the losing streak is hilariously brutal. Iowa x2, Illinois x2, Rutgers x2, Wisconsin x2, Michigan, OSU, Purdue, IU, Penn State. The Penn State one is really the only unforgivable one.

They blew a 7 point lead against Indiana with a minute left twice in the same game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

They blew a 7 point lead against Indiana with a minute left twice in the same game.

lol. well that's why your SOS is 2nd in the nation.

13/14 B1G teams are in the top 20 for SOS, only Michigan at 33 is outside.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/dir/asc/view/overview/sort/sospastrank

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Poque posted:

lol. well that's why your SOS is 2nd in the nation.

13/14 B1G teams are in the top 20 for SOS, only Michigan at 33 is outside.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/dir/asc/view/overview/sort/sospastrank

And I assume that is entirely because Michigan doesn’t have Michigan on its schedule

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Memories

https://twitter.com/AttemptedChem/status/1365347346150617091?s=19

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Schremp Howard posted:

Pitt had their two of their leading scorers transfer within 24 hours of each other in Xavier Johnson and Audiese Toney. Justin Champagnie is almost assuredly going to leave this dumpster fire for the NBA next year. Pitt also does not have any recruits for 2021 or 2022 committed. While the program has been largely irrelevant since it left the Big East to join the ACC, Jeff Capel was widely assumed to be a front runner for the Duke job when Coach K retires. Not much has really come out about people leaving (Johnson butted heads with Capel for being talented but emotional and getting technicals) other than Capel saying he's happy to have scholarships for "players who want to be here", but his shine is wearing off after having the team fall apart in February each year and having people leave unexpectedly.

Is there anyone in the Coach K coaching tree that would be trusted to take over at this point? Dawkins was meh at Stanford and only won at UCF the year he had Tacko Fall; Brey and Notre Dame have been coasting for a few years now; Amaker's peak at Harvard appears behind him (even pre-COVID shutdown); Hurley has stalled out at Arizona State; Wojo has done OK at Marquette but is on a downturn; and there's probably enough said at this point about Chris Collins and Northwestern. Feel like I'm missing a few but no one's really busting that door down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Quin Snyder but he's not going back to college and didn't get good at coaching until he spent a bunch to time bouncing around the world and the extended Pop coaching tree in the NBA. That's probably going to be rough for whoever follows him but it's going to be hilarious if it's one of his fail sons. They should just throw a bunch of money at Nate Oats or something

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

I don't care about resume Gonzaga is just better. That team is insanely loaded. They're like four points clear of everyone else in KenPom for a reason.

It would be nice to see them vs a team with a pulse within the last 2 months.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kirios posted:

I honestly don't see how you keep Michigan State out of the tournament at this point, barring a collapse.

Isn’t that their entire season?

mastershakeman posted:

illinois without ayo, which isn't going to happen again. maybe the march game against michigan can get pushed back til he's healthy , like they pushed back the prior matchup

Michigan has no reason to duck a team that lost to MSU.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Quin Snyder but he's not going back to college and didn't get good at coaching until he spent a bunch to time bouncing around the world and the extended Pop coaching tree in the NBA. That's probably going to be rough for whoever follows him but it's going to be hilarious if it's one of his fail sons. They should just throw a bunch of money at Nate Oats or something

Chris Collins. Lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

It would be nice to see them vs a team with a pulse within the last 2 months.

They played a really tough non-con and crushed everyone it's not their fault that they don't have a football team lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

They played a really tough non-con and crushed everyone it's not their fault that they don't have a football team lol

Don’t disagree, I’d love a Michigan vs Gonzaga game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/IowaHoops/status/1365416424743858179?s=19

This sucks rear end, he was having a really nice year. Great backup center and one of the best sixth men in the big ten. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, it's his second major leg injury. If he's at full strength next year I think he could be one of the better centers in the conference.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

Chris Collins. Lmao

Collins is literally going to get fired by Northwestern for having bad teams, consider what the bar is.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
If Purdue can win out against Wisconsin and Indiana they'll sneak into a double bye for the Big Ten Tournament. They lucked into a manageable schedule and caught Ohio State missing a big piece twice and Michigan State twice before they remembered how to play basketball, but still not bad for a team giving 4 freshman major minutes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

They wouldn't return our calls!!

joshsboringlife
Apr 21, 2011

All I did was offer to kill your dog and the next thing I know I am being judged.
Make it 18-1 and eight straight wins against the Hoosiers. Go Blue!

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue's long time play-by-play guy, Larry Clisby, died this morning. He was diagnosed with a pretty bad type of brain cancer a few years ago, and it looked like some experimental treatments helped him beat it but it came back on him.

He started the same year Keady did at Purdue and was the full time PBP guy through the 18-19 season, but when the tumors returned he stepped back and turned over the PBP duties and stepped down for good before this season.

He was a good dude with a great radio voice, my mom always muted the TV to listen to him, especially when Vitale or Dakish was on the call for ESPN. I think I secured my place in the will when I showed her how to pause the DVR to sync up the radio and TV feeds.

RIP Cliz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKCVpOksfjk

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

joshsboringlife posted:

Make it 18-1 and eight straight wins against the Hoosiers. Go Blue!

It used to mean a lot more to win at assembly hall. It’s weird that Indiana is no longer a blueblood in the B1G and hasn’t been one for a long time, while Rutgers is really good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's wrong with Tennessee? Auburn just beat them without Sharife (missed two games now with an ankle issue).

Justin Powell seems like he won't be playing again this season but he was back in the building for a game for the first time since his injury. Sounds like he's finally starting to recover from some very long-lasting effects of a concussion.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

oh drat the conference tournaments are already starting up. at least, the America East and Big South are running their play-in rounds today, and the Horizon actually did their Thursday. most of the other early starters get going on the 3rd.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Very comforting to know that even when we're bad and have barely played because of COVID, we can still mollywhop Georgia. I believe that's 11 straight now.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/HogStats/status/1365770181448855553?s=20

This is about to change :toot: I did not predict Justin Smith to be the glue guy for this Arkansas team but by god the results speak for themselves. 9 conference wins in a row (most since 94), first undefeated February since 94, and with one more win in the regular season the fewest losses in a season since 94/95. Might be a while before we here in Fayetteville get a season like this again, although I'm hoping it's not that long, just trying to enjoy the moment. Woo Pig :razorback:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/HogStats/status/1365770181448855553?s=20

This is about to change :toot: I did not predict Justin Smith to be the glue guy for this Arkansas team but by god the results speak for themselves. 9 conference wins in a row (most since 94), first undefeated February since 94, and with one more win in the regular season the fewest losses in a season since 94/95. Might be a while before we here in Fayetteville get a season like this again, although I'm hoping it's not that long, just trying to enjoy the moment. Woo Pig :razorback:

I might have to watch the Alabama Miss St game now. Go Bulldogs