Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think if you include Tremors, you got to include Jaws, and though both are excellent I wouldn't call either a Kaiju film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Powerloader v alien queen

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

New commercial. Kong on Wandavision?

https://youtu.be/0AsCXYkeVpY

drat I gotta stop watching these. I’m going into hibernation on new clips, don’t want everything spoiled.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Colossal is my vote for best American kaiju-centric film in the modern era. The monster itself isn't much to write home about but it's a great flick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Colossal is my vote for best American kaiju-centric film. The monster itself isn't much to write home about but it's a great flick.

I actually did enjoy this one, yeah, it is uhhhh lacking in kaiju action though (not that that's the point of the movie really)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I feel KOTM's human drama is much of the same human drama from G14 with a new coat of paint and that's why it feels not great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Karloff posted:

I think if you include Tremors, you got to include Jaws, and though both are excellent I wouldn't call either a Kaiju film.

but the shark in Jaws isn't a giant monster. It's a regular sized shark.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

but the shark in Jaws isn't a giant monster. It's a regular sized shark.

it's a considerably larger than regular sized shark

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Technically it's larger than any recorded great white, but not outside of theoretical possibility.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is colossal the one about the lady who projects the abuse she gets into the manifestation of a giant monster on the other side of the world?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Karloff posted:

I've really liked all the Monster verse films so far, but the best set piece from them for me is the Golden Gate attack, it was really tense, visually spectacular in a way that feels increasingly rare when spectacle is so commonplace in blockbuster cinema, and just loving rad in general.

The rail bridge attack was also impressive, it managed to pull off a slow, tense suspense vibe out of being hunted by a 350-foot tall radioactive bug. It was also one of the only parts of the movie that was really worth seeing in 3D.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rampage is another good American kaiju film. I think it's been brought up a few times in this thread over the years.

For more off the wall picks: The Blob, and Ghostbusters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is colossal the one about the lady who projects the abuse she gets into the manifestation of a giant monster on the other side of the world?

Yes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

PlushCow posted:

I feel KOTM's human drama is much of the same human drama from G14 with a new coat of paint and that's why it feels not great.

i mean, the white male protagonist behaves completely differently in those movies, and so does everyone else, so i don't see how it's "a new coat of paint", unless you mean something as vague and unspecific as "the human drama is about family"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My biggest complaint about Godzilla 2014 is that the first half hour is completely pointless.

The opening credits sequence did such an amazing job setting up Godzilla as something Real that Exists and that humanity doesn't have an easy 'solution' for other than hoping Big-G stays content doing his own thing. It's such an amazing credits sequence that other genres could learn from to establish characters without having to waste their first movie retreading the origin story again. They could have cut so much of the early chaff if they'd just trusted the audience a little more. The opening credits were so good that that first half hour of :aaaaa: giant monsters are real?! turned me of the rest of the movie.

I'm also sad KotM didn't bite the bullet and make humanity Hidorah. If we've got our own 'alpha wavelength' or whatever, that means we're a Kaiju too. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1365392189937885188?s=20

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

39 non-chopped up seconds of the naval battle.

https://youtu.be/GN4ew5z06Xg

The air force corollary to, "Shooting 350 foot tall monsters with M-16s is a waste of time," is, "You don't need to be anywhere near the monster to shoot missiles at it."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ungulateman posted:

i mean, the white male protagonist behaves completely differently in those movies, and so does everyone else, so i don't see how it's "a new coat of paint", unless you mean something as vague and unspecific as "the human drama is about family"

They have similar setups of a monster-caused disaster killing a family member, now a broken family with a son/daughter dealing with a parent on a self-destructive path. I think it was disappointing they didn't focus on Serizawa, and his path from science (G14) to spiritual (KOTM).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pacific Rim is the second best mecha movie ever made in America, but the kaiju stuff suffers. Otachi, Leatherback and Knifehead are all loving excellent monsters though, but there's so much chaff and Otachi not being the last kaiju was a mistake.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pacific Rim owes more to TV tokusatsu- stuff like Super Sentai and Ultraman- than it does to the Toho kaiju model.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arthur Adams killing on the Godzilla and Kong front as usual

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLxQaZOHz-C/?igshid=lzomwvbc35d7

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Burkion posted:

Pacific Rim is the second best mecha movie ever made in America,

Putting The Iron Giant at number one..?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

Pacific Rim is the second best mecha movie ever made in America, but the kaiju stuff suffers. Otachi, Leatherback and Knifehead are all loving excellent monsters though, but there's so much chaff and Otachi not being the last kaiju was a mistake.

i mean Robot Jox is great and all but second place here is pretty meaningless

Schwarzwald posted:

Putting The Iron Giant at number one..?

the Iron Giant is autonomous, different genre entirely

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 26, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Iron Giant is a Super Robot in the same arena as Mazinger or Raiden.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just as the first Ghostbusters is one of the best American kaiju films, Ghostbusters 2 is the best American mecha film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean Robot Jox is great and all but second place here is pretty meaningless

Name a film that compares to Robot Jox

I'll wait

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Burkion posted:

I'll wait

Rocky IV?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Atlantic Rim

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

I'll wait

i wouldn't dare

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i wouldn't dare

This is the correct answer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Burkion posted:

I'll wait

Robot Wars, obviously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Robot Wars, obviously.

I don't hear the '96 film Robo Warriors discussed half as much as Jox and Wars, but it's quite decent trash of that ilk as well.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm just gonna go scorched earth here: unless we're counting the original King Kong and Mighty Joe Young, I'm not sure there has been a good American Kaiju movie yet

That says more about you than American kaiju movies.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A whole rear end clip of Godzilla's attack on the fleet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4ew5z06Xg

Tekne fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 27, 2021

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

PoptartsNinja posted:

My biggest complaint about Godzilla 2014 is that the first half hour is completely pointless.

The first half hour sets up the only meaningful relationship that the characters have to the story. =/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People overlook that Godzilla doesn't appear until Cranston dies.

Man people were so fixated on the fact that he dies so early.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had sold friends into coming with me to see it on Cranston being in the movie. They were not pleased.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shiroc posted:

I had sold friends into coming with me to see it on Cranston being in the movie. They were not pleased.

They're weak, I watched Chupacabra Terror because Giancarlo Esposito was in it. That's way worse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cranston servers his purpose and does it well. Anyone devastated by him not being in it for the full run is full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well I convinced my friends to see it based on Juliette Binoche being in it, they were so pissed!!