Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Leisure Town, which I just checked, lives on unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it just wouldn't surprise me. my partner's books are all hosted online and they disable copy paste by some insanely obfuscated javascript that I didn't feel like reversing because, ugh javascropt, so i wrote a lil thing that will screencapture each page as you visit it and run it through ocr. I have to do a bit of manual cleanup on it because of images, so i gotta figure out a way to automatically crop out images before attempting the ocr.

universities are just cruelty factories meant toi extract money from students who have no say in the matter

why dont you just disable js

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

it probably has some jacked up js to display the text.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

In 2021, most webpages that try to prevent you from copying text out are doing slightly more complicated stuff than just loading a static page with javascript that disables the context menu like lovely geocities pages around the year 2000.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just pipe the entirety of the http stream into a txt file surely the words are in there somewhere

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

irpoweroutlet posted:

the little remotes with like fours buttons that came with some college textbooks, so your professor could throw up a quiz on a the projector in a lecture with 200 people.

I had a couple classes that used them in the mid-2000s. we called them clickers. I imagine they just use cell phones these days

gently caress, I remember those. They were used as the lazy professors' attendance taker.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it just wouldn't surprise me. my partner's books are all hosted online and they disable copy paste by some insanely obfuscated javascript that I didn't feel like reversing because, ugh javascropt, so i wrote a lil thing that will screencapture each page as you visit it and run it through ocr. I have to do a bit of manual cleanup on it because of images, so i gotta figure out a way to automatically crop out images before attempting the ocr.

universities are just cruelty factories meant toi extract money from students who have no say in the matter

I'm surprised it isn't simpler to run a scriptlet that finds the relevant base element in the page for you to just take from in the dev console, or copy to the clipboard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wanna say they programmed some obsolescence into the clickers too right? like you had to buy one each year or something

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
wouldnt be surprised if each textbook publisher used their own standard.

like you gotta yse the pearson iclicker for chemistry but then the penguin clickmax for literature but also the mcgraw hill clickmaster pro fo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

wouldnt be surprised if each textbook publisher used their own standard.

like you gotta yse the pearson iclicker for chemistry but then the penguin clickmax for literature but also the mcgraw hill clickmaster pro fo

and they're all identical inside except for a hash key inside a 4k eprom chip

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have never used a clicker in my classes and i never will. if i ever had reason to do a real-time quiz like that i would write my own drat software before making students buy that poo poo.

they definitely still exist though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was in college the psyc 101 professor had a racket with his own textbook that came with a cd "study guide" program called ACE-IT. every single question on the exams was taken from the ACE-IT bank so if you just memorized everything in there you were set. to prevent students from sharing the cd it also came with a copy protection floppy disk that had to be inserted whenever the thing was running, and after installing it on one computer it wouldn't work anywhere else.

well i poked at it a bit and it was the dumbest copy protection imaginable: the disk had an encrypted file on it that got written with some hardware-specific information during the install process, keying the floppy to your computer, and that was it. if you had a blank floppy and the unmodified file you could just make your own fresh copy protection disks. so i found a friend who hadn't installed it, took the encrypted file, and put it on the campus DC++ with an ISO of the cd and instructions. hell yeah

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Midjack posted:

it probably has some jacked up js to display the text.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i have never used a clicker in my classes and i never will. if i ever had reason to do a real-time quiz like that i would write my own drat software before making students buy that poo poo.

they definitely still exist though.

imagining a rig-up with some nixie tubes and a big fresnel lens for realtime leaderboard rankings during Sagebrush quizzes

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in college the psyc 101 professor had a racket with his own textbook that came with a cd "study guide" program called ACE-IT. every single question on the exams was taken from the ACE-IT bank so if you just memorized everything in there you were set. to prevent students from sharing the cd it also came with a copy protection floppy disk that had to be inserted whenever the thing was running, and after installing it on one computer it wouldn't work anywhere else.

well i poked at it a bit and it was the dumbest copy protection imaginable: the disk had an encrypted file on it that got written with some hardware-specific information during the install process, keying the floppy to your computer, and that was it. if you had a blank floppy and the unmodified file you could just make your own fresh copy protection disks. so i found a friend who hadn't installed it, took the encrypted file, and put it on the campus DC++ with an ISO of the cd and instructions. hell yeah

campus dc++. now there's some funny tech poo poo I remember

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i heard rumors there's a yospos dc++ hub in 2021 but nothing confirmed yet. interesting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤔 i got a fat enough pipe and a decent amount of media high resolution renders worth sharing around 🤔

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i heard rumors there's a yospos dc++ hub in 2021 but nothing confirmed yet. interesting.

:eyepop:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

:aaa:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

thats not what they meant when they said there was a sad chub in yospos

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao id reinstall that garbage for this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Volmarias posted:

gently caress, I remember those. They were used as the lazy professors' attendance taker.

LOL at the pleb school concept of “attendance”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Raluek posted:

thats not what they meant when they said there was a sad chub in yospos

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I spent so much time on sadchub back in the day. we also had a campus dc++ hub but it wasn’t nearly as cool

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. “sadchub”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol what loving universities and books used these clickers? all the Gen Ed / large lecture hall style classes at (top 50) university didn’t have them so trying to figure out if I got lucky, timed it right, or it was especially linked to certain subject / publisher

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

lmao id reinstall that garbage for this

getting kicked off DCs because I used blackclaw DC++ so I could not saturate my connection and they’d get real mad about which package version you ran.

also weirdos who would question why you downloaded stuff like “why did you grab that HD ts stream? do you actually have a way to decode it?!”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hed posted:

lol what loving universities and books used these clickers? all the Gen Ed / large lecture hall style classes at (top 50) university didn’t have them so trying to figure out if I got lucky, timed it right, or it was especially linked to certain subject / publisher

in my experience it's linked to the professor's personality. some of them are just Tech Enthusiasts and like stuff like that.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I spent so much time on sadchub back in the day. we also had a campus dc++ hub but it wasn’t nearly as cool

people would share their system directory on our campus dc++ hub to boost their perceived share size lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eschaton posted:

LOL at the pleb school concept of “attendance”

Sagebrush posted:

in my experience it's linked to the professor's personality. some of them are just Tech Enthusiasts and like stuff like that.

Mine was a large lecture hall class, with the professor using attendance as an "I'm doing this for your own good, so that you aren't tempted to just skip and then you fail a final :byodood:" explanation. I think that was the only class that actually had attendance as a concept, although there were a couple of 100 level classes where going to (I think it was called) recitation was required?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i installed dc++ and it’s “hashed” my “folders” i’m ready to go

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

people would share their system directory on our campus dc++ hub to boost their perceived share size lol

yeah this was definitely a thing back in the day. I also vaguely recall a program to misrepresent your file size to DC++

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
DC++ at my state college owned so hard. They over-built a statewide fiber net back in the 90's and had its own IPv4 space, so access was limited to that block (literally every computer on campus got its own public IP). When you went home for summer break, you just went to your local library and hopped on it. The uni IT department knew about it and was completely OK with it because it meant that people wouldn't torrent and thus they wouldn't need to waste their day pulling logs for RIAA subpoenas.

Also the admins were extremely good at cracking down on file fuckery and you'd get probe'd within minutes of trying to share things out of your system32 folder.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The i2hub direct connect hub was the best.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mystes posted:

The i2hub direct connect hub was the best.

it was a major inlet to the rit dc hub, which was a regional hub for a bit until people got sloppy and the school leaned on the admins to cut it off. rip u of r and rpi shares. that happened, colloquially, a few times to various hub operators

speaking of, i remember walking across campus to plug into some slightly faster cat5 drops to get downloads faster. my loving 50ft cable in a backpack so i could sit anywhere

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
how do i get on the yospos dc room (and don't say very carefully)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

how do i get on the yospos dc room (and don't say very carefully)

Fishmech handles these things.

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
beenz. flooz.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the fact that programs used to be able to arbitrarily change your default homepage

looking at you, bonzi.com

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

the fact that programs used to be able to arbitrarily change your default homepage

looking at you, bonzi.com

I mean they still can you just have to install some win program with your eyes closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean they still can you just have to install some win program with your eyes closed.

sounds more like a fail program