Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you've ever read JJ Abrams's Superman: Flyby you should be very, very concerned at this news.

He's not writing it, at least.

I like JJ Abrams more than most people on these forums. But I agree, that script was bad. But he's just producing this, apparently.

edit: Reposting the tweet for the new page.

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1365350572287807491

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ahahahahahahahahah

Superman is gonna be such a happy fella you guys.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Cavill still plays the part. He's fantastic.

I hope they announce Zack Snyder will direct just to see the discourse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you've ever read JJ Abrams's Superman: Flyby you should be very, very concerned at this news.

or any of Coates' comics, for that matter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You will believe a superman can smile

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

or any of Coates' comics, for that matter

I have not read them. What's the scoop here?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have not read them. What's the scoop here?

they're just really, really boring (the Black Panther ones that I read anyway, although I heard the Captain America ones weren't any better). he's a good essayist but a bad comic book writer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
JJ Abrams movies make me think of a big friendly dog, so if nothing else I'll bet he'd make a crowd-pleaser Superman movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

they're just really, really boring (the Black Panther ones that I read anyway, although I heard the Captain America ones weren't any better). he's a good essayist but a bad comic book writer.

Well Superman is famously easy to make non-boring, so I wish him luck! lol we're hosed

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

After recent events, I just really don't look forward to Abrams commenting on the character's legacy in any way, shape or form. You just loving know it's gonna be "his" take on the character and it's got to be novel, energetic and unlike anything we've seen before.

So Superman is going to drive his dad's car off a cliff while Beasty Boys plays.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

After recent events, I just really don't look forward to Abrams commenting on the character's legacy in any way, shape or form. You just loving know it's gonna be "his" take on the character and it's got to be novel, energetic and unlike anything we've seen before.

So Superman is going to drive his dad's car off a cliff while Beasty Boys plays.

I'm okay with that

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

Absolutely nobody is going to remember the movie 3 months after it comes out, so don't worry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

What are the odds JJ Abrams is gonna direct Man of Steel 2 now that he's in WB's stable with that gargantuan deal he signed with them?

I can't WAIT!

:shepicide:

At least he's not directing. But still, lmao.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm okay with that

Yeah the car thing was a bad example because I remember it drawing a lot of overblown negativity at the time but ultimately being OK in the movie. I just expect Enterprise in red and blue, and after MoS and BvS that just strikes me as supremely boring. And then there is the threat of it turning into a TFA/RoS abomination, with the nostalgia bait turned up to 11.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

2house2fly posted:

JJ Abrams movies make me think of a big friendly dog, so if nothing else I'll bet he'd make a crowd-pleaser Superman movie

lol

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1365361080046936074?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm 100% game for a Michael B Jordan Superman tbh.

[edit] Abrams being attached still has me a bit worried though, lol. Even if he's only producing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Honestly Grant Morrison's Obama Superman has aged horrifically.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

maybe I'm just super pessimistic and cynical but after everything with Ray Fisher, this is coming across as "we totally learned our lesson about POC characters and actors, look, here's a black Superman"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aces High posted:

maybe I'm just super pessimistic and cynical but after everything with Ray Fisher, this is coming across as "we totally learned our lesson about POC characters and actors, look, here's a black Superman"

I'd like to be proven wrong but yeah, this is how I felt when I saw that. The timing of it is just too... yeah.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I would like to see a black Superman but set in the 50s or 60s. An invulnerable black person who could level the planet by themselves living in America in that time period could be a pretty interesting story. But if it's just another plain old Superman story But He's Black Now, ehhh

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aces High posted:

Oh yeah, 100%.

Still, I don't want to preemptively hate this film. Even without Snyder, the WB DC films have a history of trying to make safe films and failing, occasionally to their benefit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hancock already dealt with Black Superman well enough to the point of having a white woman as his Kryptonite. I dont much get the point of this.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Coates' comics were all butt, MJB would not be a good Superman, and while I don't hate Abrams I don't really want him running something like this.

Just gonna pour one out for McQuarrie's MoS sequel that never got a second look.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Like Whedon, Abrams is actually really good at casting and even if the film is bad whoever he casts would carry it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Darko posted:

Hancock already dealt with Black Superman well enough to the point of having a white woman as his Kryptonite. I dont much get the point of this.

canon

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aces High posted:

Nah, you're just being realistic. I'm almost certain this is announcement was made partly as damage control, lol. Still though, I like Michael B Jordan and will become a basic bitch simp for his Superman if they actually cast him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Roman posted:

Like Whedon, Abrams is actually really good at casting

Uh

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was never into joss whedon's stuff and it aged even worse but he did make stars out of a bunch of people. I don't give a poo poo about Firefly but the cast was great

Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac made the last SW films seem better than they were. new star trek casting was really good but the films were ehhhh

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Aces High posted:

It’s coming out at the exact same time as a Variety article that has no new information on the Whedon controversy that absolves the studios of any wrongdoing, and Fisher has always said that WB’s plan is going to be to throw Whedon under the bus to save Johns, Berg, and Hamada.

Also Coates’ comics were all loving horrendous, Dickeye had some great write ups of them back in the day but I can’t find them now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Roman posted:

I was never into joss whedon's stuff and it aged even worse but he did make stars out of a bunch of people. I don't give a poo poo about Firefly but the cast was great

Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac made the last SW films seem better than they were

I mean, I love the cast of most of his shows, but he's been kind of exposed as a sex pest. At the very least he cheated on his wife with supporting actresses, and then there is the ominous "Michelle Trachtenberg shouldn't be left alone with him" thing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, I love the cast of most of his shows, but he's been kind of exposed as a sex pest. At the very least he cheated on his wife with supporting actresses, and then there is the ominous "Michelle Trachtenberg shouldn't be left alone with him" thing.

I don't think he's been exposed as a sex pest. We've gotten hints but not even Trachtenberg has called him on it.

That said, not every kind of abuse is sexual in nature, but non-sexual abuse is still abuse.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s coming out at the exact same time as a Variety article that has no new information on the Whedon controversy that absolves the studios of any wrongdoing, and Fisher has always said that WB’s plan is going to be to throw Whedon under the bus to save Johns, Berg, and Hamada.

Also Coates’ comics were all loving horrendous, Dickeye had some great write ups of them back in the day but I can’t find them now.

i was trying to find Dickeye's writeups of TNC's Captain America comics too, I remember them being savage

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm curious to read these if you guys happen to find them. I know nothing of this man's work .

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Everyone posted:

I don't think he's been exposed as a sex pest. We've gotten hints but not even Trachtenberg has called him on it.

That said, not every kind of abuse is sexual in nature, but non-sexual abuse is still abuse.

Fair point, but his ex-wife claims he cheated on her with people from the show and he all but confirmed it by going "What should I have done, not sleep with those girls?!" And directors/producers sleeping with their actresses is not great under the best of circumstances.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Everyone posted:

“Joss Whedon” posted:

When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.

Dude is loving gross about women and sex and using his newfound power to gently caress his employees is definitely abusive.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JJ Abrams? Like does no one in Hollywood learn their lesson? I declare it a turd dead on arrival. Like this whole process is going to be zapping a zombie to life. Ugh. The man cannot hack it in any capacity.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I'm curious to read these if you guys happen to find them. I know nothing of this man's work .

He has excellent essays on race if you haven't read them. Just not that great of a comic writer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm kind of hopeful that even if Coates' fiction writing isn't the best the big ideas will come through better in a movie format, where the more memorable/powerful ideas can be given proper context while the meat and potatoes storytelling will be the director's job to hammer out. I guess it really will depend on who they get to direct.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly Grant Morrison's Obama Superman has aged horrifically.

probably because Obama's closest comic-book analogue is DCAU Lex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lot going on