Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry5N2UNZKsc

New Crazy Taxi style game just dropped and I haven't seen anybody talking about it, but it looks pretty rad.

Its on consoles too!

Thoom posted:

"Cards" have the important property that you draw them randomly from a deck and keep them in your hand until you use them. That's important semantic information that calling them "moves" doesn't carry.

I don't buy this, there's plenty of games with cards with conflicting rules of how things work, so you can't make any real assumptions just because they're "cards". Even things like drawing or shuffling aren't consistent across games, and those same concepts are extremely easy to grok as "you get 3 random spells per turn" or whatever instead of "draw 3 cards".

It just feels uninventive. Although I may also have personal distaste for it based on how many games turn cards into extremely exploitative microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

treat posted:

All his games are free :ssh:

Pretty sure all his games have weird dick monsters or something too

I bet none of them are as good a dick monster as Mara.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260590/Hadean_Tactics/

quote:

Hadean Tactics is a roguelike deckbuilding game fused with autobattler elements to create a unique strategy experience. Use your cards to influence the actions of your units and help your Hero defeat the Six Wings of Hell!

In early access

quote:

Amazing mixture of Deck-building roguelike (Slay the Spire) with Auto-battler combat (any auto-chess game) works like a charm in this game. Game is a lotta fun for the fans of the deck-building games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1242630/Skid_Cities/

In early access

quote:

A Cyberpunk City Building Game. Define the city of a twisted, dark, utopian, or dystopian future. Build it in the sky, underground, on the ground. Navigate evil corporations, the Yakuza, android revolts, and unrest. Or embrace them - your choice.

quote:

- One of the most important things in a city builder game is the menu and how it reacts to you. The menus in this game are VERY well organized and VERY well contained. This is a big plus!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Breathedge just came out of early access:

quote:

Survive in outer space! Together with your immortal chicken, discover the truth behind your sudden spaceship crash. Craft tools, pilot vehicles, and even control space stations to survive and explore the wreckage.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There's a surprising amount of neat stuff in my queue today. Sorry for the spam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064340/Chess_Evolved_Online/

Free

quote:

Collect new chess pieces, create custom armies, and
play against others in live multiplayer PvP, ranked or practice.

CEO is designed to be 'easy to play', but has a near-infinite skill ceiling.
The number of possible army matchups is literally unfathomable.
(Devising strategies the world has never seen is the default here)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The OUTRIDERS Demo dropped tonight. Not a beta, a proper demo, and so far game feels really nice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AirRaid posted:

The OUTRIDERS Demo dropped tonight. Not a beta, a proper demo, and so far game feels really nice.

Did not know this game even existed (as something coming). Looks interesting thanks for posting it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
this chess game owns and apparently was a flash game that got moved to steam because rip flash

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
lol not gonna lie that looks great...but you didn't link or even leave the name of the game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

lol not gonna lie that looks great...but you didn't link or even leave the name of the game?

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a surprising amount of neat stuff in my queue today. Sorry for the spam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1064340/Chess_Evolved_Online/

Free

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

Breathedge just came out of early access:

For those who haven’t tried it - it’s probably the closest thing to Subnautica I’ve played, assuming Subnautica was written by people with the sense of humor of Russian thirteen-year-olds.

But basically you have to constantly maneuver in an environment that you’re slowly dying in and that occasionally wants to quickly kill you, trying to find pieces you can use to build new equipment so that the environment will kill you even slower the next time you step into space, which always felt close to Subnautica’s gameplay loop. The difference is that in Subnautica you explored fascinatingly designed alien undersea environments and biologies while synth music plays, and in Breathedge you explore dark immature humor tableaus like the corpse of a guy who farted himself out of an airlock while Soviet choirs and orchestras bombast at you.

They teased the idea that maybe they’d allow you to build a base or a craft or something, again a la Subnautica, but hadn’t fleshed it out in their latest pre-release update, but that was months ago, so maybe now it has that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

skeleton warrior posted:

For those who haven’t tried it - it’s probably the closest thing to Subnautica I’ve played, assuming Subnautica was written by people with the sense of humor of Russian thirteen-year-olds.

But basically you have to constantly maneuver in an environment that you’re slowly dying in and that occasionally wants to quickly kill you, trying to find pieces you can use to build new equipment so that the environment will kill you even slower the next time you step into space, which always felt close to Subnautica’s gameplay loop. The difference is that in Subnautica you explored fascinatingly designed alien undersea environments and biologies while synth music plays, and in Breathedge you explore dark immature humor tableaus like the corpse of a guy who farted himself out of an airlock while Soviet choirs and orchestras bombast at you.

They teased the idea that maybe they’d allow you to build a base or a craft or something, again a la Subnautica, but hadn’t fleshed it out in their latest pre-release update, but that was months ago, so maybe now it has that.

Yeah, I played it for about an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything more than so many other games of this type and the humor really fell flat for me. And I usually like dumb humor. I'll just wait for the new Subnautica to come out. Actually, I been eyeing Stationeers in the survival game niche, I've been watching an LP of that thing and it seems insane. Of course, Stationeers has also been in early access for like four years...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh god oh gently caress I've wanted a cyberpunk city builder for literal decades if this is remotely good I'm going to vanish into it for just as long

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I played it for about an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything more than so many other games of this type and the humor really fell flat for me. And I usually like dumb humor. I'll just wait for the new Subnautica to come out.

Same, plus the grind for resoures combined with the pretty strict oxygen limit just eroded all my will to play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252300/RetroMania_Wrestling/

quote:

RetroMania Wrestling is the official sequel to the classic arcade game Wrestlefest that was released in 1991 by Technos of Japan.

quote:

RetroMania Wrestling is a fun, casual Wrestling throwback to yesteryear. After about 10 matches in and my forearms are killing me from all the button mashing.

The game has a bunch of fun extras- for example: when you least expect it... your match can turn into a Cage Match without warning. Some arenas have chairs similar to the 1993 Super Nintendo Royal Rumble game from WWF. (my only complaint with that its too easy for someone to counter a chairshot.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

There are some real oddballs in my queue today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531040/Pavlovs_House/

quote:

The goal of Pavlov’s House is to last until the defenders of Pavlov’s House are tasked with storming a key German strongpoint during the Battle of Stalingrad. In the game, this is depicted by playing through a deck of cards representing elements of the German 6th Army.
Pavlov’s House was a fortified apartment building used as a strongpoint by the Soviet 62nd Army during the pivotal Battle of Stalingrad in WW2. Soviet defenders – primarily from the 7th Company, 3rd Battalion, 42nd Guards Rifle Regiment of the 13th Guards Division - held out for almost two months from a constant German assault. The building’s name was drawn from Yakov Pavlov, a sergeant who led the initial storm group assault that resulted in the capture of the building from the Germans. The story of Pavlov’s House was a key piece of Soviet propaganda and was used as a symbol of the incredible resistance of Soviet forces during the Battle of Stalingrad.

Features

- A full recreation of the original board game
- Learn the game through an engaging tutorial.
- Play against four different levels of difficulty and complexity, from Basic to Elite.
- The game takes care of the rules, allowing you to focus on the strategy.
- Comprehensive rules and extensive background information is also included.
- Make tough decisions, handle the consequences.
- Highly replayable and story driven. You’ll never play the same game twice!
- An original soundtrack composed by Gabriel Berger.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1503920/Aery__A_Journey_Beyond_Time/

quote:

In Aery – A Journey Beyond Time you are in the role of a flying god-like creature which observes the world and their inhabitants while they grow and evolve through time. Are you ready to explore time itself?

quote:

You can quite literally fly through history and the different stages of human development, follow an interesting story through time, and enjoy the speed of flying at the same time.

This story-driven game is non-violent so that you can enjoy the intuitive and relaxing gameplay in 12 different stages of the development of our earth.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
that Aery looks cool

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The new Aery game is the fourth in a series, and it looks remarkably similar to the previous releases. If you like one, you'll probably like them all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774181/Rhythm_Doctor/

Early Access

quote:

Rhythm Doctor is a rhythm game in a world where defibrillating patients' hearts in sync with their heartbeats has healing properties. Slam your spacebar in perfect time on the 7th beat, and they might just come out okay. But beware - every patient has unique illnesses based on complex music theory: polyrhythms, hemiolas, irregular time signatures...if you don't know what they mean, don't worry. Rhythm Doctor is designed to make you learn music and rhythm theory without even realising it!

20+ handmade levels, each with their own story.
Every level introduces a different concept of rhythm theory in an accessible way
A large cast of doctors and patients feature in an epic overarching storyline
Play solo campaign or grab a friend for drop-in drop-out local multiplayer throughout the whole campaign!
Robust level editor to make, share, and play community levels! Use your own music, place notes snapped to the beat, and use 50+ different visual effects and backgrounds
Challenging "Night Shift" versions of each level for the brave

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm back. Jesus christ so many video games are dropping daily

https://store.steampowered.com/app/750130/The_Sinking_City/

Used to be an epic exclusive I think, Frogwares lovecraft

quote:

In the 1920s, on the East Coast of the United States, the half-submerged city of Oakmont is gripped by supernatural forces. You're a private investigator, uncovering the truth of what has possessed the city and corrupted the minds of its inhabitants... and yours.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The action portions of Sinking City are pretty bad, but otherwise I think it's the better title compared to the Call of Cthulhu game that was released at the same time. They're twin games in a lot of ways, but I think Sinking City at least tries to be original about the story it tells, which makes it just overall more charming.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

this looks kind of dope and it came out of nowhere, also

• Commentary by Ian Riccaboni and Colt Cabana

itry
Aug 23, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm back. Jesus christ so many video games are dropping daily

Used to be an epic exclusive I think, Frogwares lovecraft

It was supposed to be on Steam a while ago. Apparently they had problems with the previous (?) publisher Bigben Interactive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_City#Distributor_dispute_and_delisting).

itry fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 26, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RadicalFishGame/status/1365358787968786435

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I played the main CrossCode game on GamePass for PC, which deleted my save when I uninstalled it. Guess it's time to track down an endgame save.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260590/Hadean_Tactics/

Amazing mixture of Deck-building roguelike (Slay the Spire) with Auto-battler combat (any auto-chess game) works like a charm in this game. Game is a lotta fun for the fans of the deck-building games
This is pretty good you can get some fun interactions going after awhile. I had some really narrow wins I didn't think I could pull off.
I won a battle with zero of my main units alive more than once, multiple replicating slimes finished the enemies off (spell card, you can clone the unit as well)

You unlock more advanced stuff as you go and can use different strategies.
There's only one "hero" so far, but if the game ever gets easy you can unlock harder modes.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This is pretty good you can get some fun interactions going after awhile. I had some really narrow wins I didn't think I could pull off.
I won a battle with zero of my main units alive more than once, multiple replicating slimes finished the enemies off (spell card, you can clone the unit as well)

You unlock more advanced stuff as you go and can use different strategies.
There's only one "hero" so far, but if the game ever gets easy you can unlock harder modes.

Yeah, it's pretty fun! My only disappointment so far is that there's none of the fun tension of building your team like in autochesses. There's not many opportunities to draft/upgrade your units so it feels a lot more like a deckbuilder than an autochess.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heads up: https://twitter.com/Frogwares/status/1365385278140133378

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
But it says Frogwares on the Steam page?
Weird

"This is an old version of the game. There's no DLC, no cloud saves, no achievements,... This is NOT the same version that got released by Frogwares early Janurary, and Frogwares hasn't released any news about this release, so I doubt they'll ever see the money, which is why I'd recommend staying away from this until they do!"

though I wouldn't have bought it anyway just because of Epic exclusive

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 26, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_City#Distributor_dispute_and_delisting posted:

Distributor dispute and delisting

BigBen Interactive was licensed to distribute the game until April 20, 2020. The contract was terminated by Frogwares, on account of both intellectual property violation and lack of payment.[21] This resulted in The Sinking City being delisted from Steam, the Epic Games Store, and the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 digital storefronts on August 25, 2020 pending the resolution of Frogwares' legal dispute with BigBen. The Nintendo Switch version of the game remained available on the Nintendo eShop, as that version had been self-published by Frogwares.[22]

BigBen Interactive now call themselves Nacon (the publisher listed on Steam).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ironically the publishing dispute is the biggest thing the game has going for it as it would have already sunk into obscurity if judged by its own merits. Even Sherlock Holmes: The Devi's Daughter was better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For those visual novel fans out there, this game took a LONG time to get translated:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1460490/Majikoi_Love_Me_Seriously/

quote:

You play as Yamato, the protagonist of the story. He's called "The Tactician" by his friends for good reason. In a society that praises one's fighting ability, he's been able to make it on his craftiness alone. Some say he cheats, others say he schemes, but the truth is – he wins. And above everything else, he will win for his friends.

The game has 20-30 hours of humor, drama, and adventure to experience, with the main cast of characters (the "Kazama Family") fully voiced in Japanese throughout. Your choices throughout this visual novel adventure game will shape how other characters perceive you, ultimately changing your path and story. With over ten different endings to experience, there's a lot to enjoy!

I do not know if this contains any adult content, but if you want to be certain to get the version with the porn, it's also out on JAST's website. From reviews it seems to be a mostly plot-focused game, though. I probably won't be playing it either way because I don't care for comedy visual novels.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I was supposed to be in bed an hour and a half ago and I'm still up playing this

It's loving incredible

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh god oh gently caress I've wanted a cyberpunk city builder for literal decades if this is remotely good I'm going to vanish into it for just as long

I saw this post before the post you're quoting and literally stopped reading at the words "cyberpunk city builder" and bought the game, that rules. I haven't played enough yet to give it a rating, it seems fairly simplistic right now (maybe ~30 different buildings/services total) but it has some very intriguing ideas, like a multiple-layered city that lets you set up things like: corporations dumping toxic waste into an underground wasteland below the poor residential zones, slum housing that exists solely as a foundation for the cloud-layer ultra-rich part of the city, throwing political dissidents in clandestine underground jails. Part of leveling up your poor population involves distributing free labor augmentations like bionic arms. And you totally will bulldoze shanty towns solely so that you can put up giant propaganda centers in their place.

One thing that impressed me is the way it handles tutorials. You can start the tutorial from the main menu if you want and it's a pretty standard sort of guided tutorial: "your residents need water, build a water recycler. Great, now build sewers and attach them to the water recycler. Cool, but notice how the sewers can't be built in the same tile as roads? Well, here's how you go underground to build them there...", but alternatively you can just start building a city and then at any point open up the Tutorials tab, choose any of the tutorials, and go through it in your current city without exiting out of your save, loading a dedicated tutorial map, etc.

e: After playing more: It has some big performance issues and a super clunky UI that will hopefully get hammered out, it got unplayably slow for me after about an hour, with a still low ~3000 population

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 27, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have philosophical problems with a cyberpunk citybuilder. On the one hand, it's a god game, on the other hand, government is supposed to be powerless in this setting. Also, city builders usually require to give your citizens a modicum of comfort, while cyberpunk usually treats the downtrodden masses like poo poo. I'm curious about how the game handles those contradictions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Glad it's not just me. The idea of a cyberpunk city builder just strikes me as kind of... incongruous? Undirected, ungoverned and constantly growing sprawl and poverty are some of the defining qualities of the genre, after all.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played some more and I'm not refunding it because I would love essentially just playset for designing cyberpunk cities, but it has some serious problems right now. For one you can't freely rotate the camera, just rotate 90 degrees at a time, so you can only view the city from 4 angles... in a game about building gigantic skyscrapers that get in the way of the camera. It's almost impossible to find and bulldoze a specific spot to put in an amenity you didn't place early, the UI is bad enough that it's sometimes very hard to place something on a specific tile.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have philosophical problems with a cyberpunk citybuilder. On the one hand, it's a god game, on the other hand, government is supposed to be powerless in this setting. Also, city builders usually require to give your citizens a modicum of comfort, while cyberpunk usually treats the downtrodden masses like poo poo. I'm curious about how the game handles those contradictions.

As far as I've played so far there's nothing happening yet with government/corp power struggle. It looks like it might be leading in that direction, since as your city gets nicer and more attractive you start attracting certain named corps. It doesn't really hit the thematic cyberpunk marks yet, it seems like it's not aiming for being all that nuanced about it but it may just be an EA thing.

You zone everything as explicitly Rich or Poor, so there's Poor Residential and Rich Residential, Poor Industrial and Rich Industrial. They need different "amenities", and the Rich need lots of Poor around because Poors are the people who Do The Work and etc. I put "amenities" in quotes because the poor don't really get amenities. Every building needs water, but you need to surround the poor zones with things like surveillance drones and cameras, propaganda relays, and corp/government sponsored free cybernetics augments to make them better workers. The more augs they get the more dissidents appear and you need security buildings to arrest the dissidents, underground gulags to throw them into, etc. Meanwhile the rich need luxuries like nature parks, roadblocks to stop Poors from coming into their neighborhoods, helipads/airports for transport, etc.. Rich corps bring in most of your money so you need to cater to them, but there hasn't been anything so far forcing me to make things worse/different for the Poors for the benefit of the Rich or whatever.

But so far none of this amounts to anything more than some graphs. It's the Anno model of, zones have 4 levels and you need certain amenities within distance of them in order for them to level up. If you don't have enough security your Poor residential zones won't level up. If you don't have enough public worker automaton access and rogue automaton hunters nearby, Poor Industrial won't level up, etc.

Also no I have no idea why Poors Do The Work if you need to provide your poor industrial with access to public automatons

In theory it would be a v. appropriate thematic shift for the game to start this way then at a certain point the corps start forcing power out of your control and your slums start sprawling on their own, etc, but I have no idea if that's planned, and based straight up tile/road/zone RCI system circa Sim City 2k I kind of doubt it. Like it would be rad if a couple hours in, this named Social Media corp that came to my city early on starts making absurd demands, and it turns out they're 60% of my city's taxes and if I say no they'll leave and I'll be hemorrhaging money

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 27, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1419130/Airstrife_Assault_of_the_Aviators/

quote:

Airstrife: Assault of the Aviators is a modern re-invented vertical shoot em up game that allows you to fly your plane, dodge bullets and missiles, upgrade your plane's parts, research for more weapons, and explore a beautifully hand-drawn vast world. The game features a souls-like take on the shoot em up platform with an engaging story for you to discover.

Game Features
A re-invented modern classic vertical shoot em up game. Not a usual or typical shoot em up bullet hell game.
Souls-like and RPG elements added to a shoot em up game to further increase the challenge and give the player a more engaging experience.
Skills Required. Use your Aileron Rolling to dash and evade bullets and missiles while destroying enemy planes.
A more Realistic Approach. Experience damages on your planes, both visually and internally, on each side and consumable bullets and missiles that are not infinite.
Experience customization and freedom to create the plane you can use the conquer your enemies. Upgrade the parts of your planes and research for more weapons to mount on a wide choices of planes you can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hell yeah, I'll take a new Tyrian/Raptor