Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the best thing he ever wrote, the beginning of his JSA run, is about a C/C+ quality. that's the absolute heights of his talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I didn't read his JSA but I think Green Lantern Vol. 4 and Booster Gold Vol. 2 are quite good.

God help us that he was ever allowed to write Flash comics though.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 22, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

His Wally-era Flash, some of his JSA, and the very very beginning of his Teen Titans wasn't half-bad, and then he wasted his gifts by redrawing the sandbox to be exactly the way he wanted it... which just happened to be "too obvious" Bronze Age fellating. That wasn't healthy when it was happening and it only seems to have made him worse at every possible turn.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Flashpoint was good if only because the Thomas Wayne take on Batman was interesting, but just imagine how terrible a Joss Whedon Batgirl movie would have been.

Lmao.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bogus Adventure posted:

Flashpoint was good if only because the Thomas Wayne take on Batman was interesting, but just imagine how terrible a Joss Whedon Batgirl movie would have been.

Lmao.

"Get this, she doesn't wear shoes, so every time she kicks someone, there is a close up of her bare feet."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

"Get this, she doesn't wear shoes, so every time she kicks someone, there is a close up of her bare feet."

"And she has a boyfriend named Jos---no. JOE. Joe Sweden."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"It's extremely important we establish early on that she was sexually assaulted by the Joker and survived. We show the opening montage of her learning to walk again as a strong, empowered woman with lots of closeups of her crying in the shower. Later on we reveal the assault made her have a hysterectomy and Joe Sweden has to use his nebbish, doughy charm to reassure her that she's still a real woman."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Ok, Catwoman, right? But get this: she runs a brothel. With like a bondage basement."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"The critical part of this story is Babs' relationship with Joe, and the peak of her hero's journey is sacrificing the power and freedom that she has as Batgirl in order to become pregnant with Joe Sweden's baby."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

i never watched it but i like the clip where they through people into turbines

The guy who gets kicked into the turbine is Zangief from the Street Fighter movie lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

"Ok, Catwoman, right? But get this: she runs a brothel. With like a bondage basement."

keep going

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

indigi posted:

keep going

"Joe Sweden ends up in that bondage brothel basement, and Batgirl catches him tickling Selina's feet with an ostrich feather. When Babs confronts him, she realizes that she drove him to do this. She was so concerned with making Gotham safe---following Bruce's mission to make sure that nobody ever had to experience a loss like his again---that she forgot about Joe's needs. It's at this point that Babs joins Joe and Selina in the bondage basement, and Joe dips his bald head in oil and rubs it all over their bodies..."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And there's a scene where Nightwing is tripped by Harley Quinn and falls face first into Batgirls cleavage.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

These posts are really starting to remind me of the Batgirl parts of the animated Killing Joke movie. We we sure Joe didn't have something to do with it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

And there's a scene where Nightwing is tripped by Harley Quinn and falls face first into Batgirls cleavage.

Man Firefly got super weird in the comic-based sequels

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a part in the middle where she gets hit with Joker gas and it makes her see poo poo like in Doctor Strange, except that literally everything is feet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

These posts are really starting to remind me of the Batgirl parts of the animated Killing Joke movie. We we sure Joe didn't have something to do with it?
Nah that was Bruce Timm working out some poo poo he really should have worked out in his early 20s.

indigi posted:

keep going
Midway through Catwoman gets killed by the Joker to motivate Batman, and it's Batgirl's job to save his soul during the climax.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Midway through Catwoman gets killed by the Joker to motivate Batman, and it's Batgirl's job to save his soul during thewith a climax.
ftfy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The important thing is Batgirl proves her strength by being the best Mommy possible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“You see, the series bible explains in more detail, but basically I made sure the show has both kinds of women. There is “mommy but sexy” and “sexy but not mommy” and I made a little chart with all the characters on it. Both do high kicks, so you’ll want to keep that chart handy to tell the difference.”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh but there is a part where Batgirl is dosed with Ivy's love potion and she is making eyes at Joe Sweden but he's such a gentlemen he doesn't take advantage of it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

And afterwards, Joe Sweden tells Batgirl this, and Batgirl passionately rubs her feet on him.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"One of the most important parts of this story is the villain. We need to focus on her motivation. Yes, I said her. Batgirl's villain has to be a woman, a foil. This woman is strong, but flawed. Her origin story involves being assaulted by a group of men. It's heavily implied that they, uh, have their way with her. Her pursuit for justice is foiled at every turn, and she resorts to revenge. She makes a pact with dark forces, granting her the ability to make dolls that represent her target. Anything she does to these dolls happens to the target. She takes the dolls and she slowly crushes them under her foot. Her bare foot. You can hear the screams of her assaulters over the scene.

This is the story we are going to tell."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

She fights Clayface but her shoes get stuck in him so she has to take off her shoes and fight him without any shoes on.

Yes I got this idea from Hideo Kojima, why do you ask?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Quentin Tarantino is going to come in and guest direct a dream sequence taken from Frank Miller's All-Star Batman. Batgirl will be fighting and cursing in an arcade. She'll snap out of it in a cold sweat because her feet are outside of the covers and they got cold. She'll call Joe Sweden over to warm them up for her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"So we'll have some lighter episodes too, of course. Bat Mite for example will come along and make Batgirl grow to giant size. She'll be a giantess towering over the city and Joe Sweden as well, of course and-- Yes, Marti we've been over this. Her clothes and especially her boots and socks will be torn apart because clothes don't grow when magic transforms you into a perfect giant goddess who's embarrassed to be nude and so, so gigantic with her statuesque form just towering over everyone. But she'll also feel like mighty and, um, empowered? Yes! It will be empowering, which is my intention."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Kinda getting the feeling that some of you folks are posting with less and less irony as this joke goes on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alternatively we all grew up sucking on his man-teat-- whose excretions soaked into nearly every corner of mainstream nerd culture over the last twenty years-- and we really really know how he likes to roll by now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ooh ooh, and Nightwing will wear a funny hat! And we can sell those hats and people will wear them long after everyone else has stopped caring. Do you think we can cast Ben Shapiro and Damian Wayne?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's incredibly important that we have a lithe, nubile, flexible woman as a mysterious character, and it is incredibly important that that character is played by Summer Glau.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's incredibly important that we have a lithe, nubile, flexible woman as a mysterious character, and it is incredibly important that that character is played by Summer Glau.

I'd hope she has sense to stay away from anything with Whedon's name on it. He'll just cast another white lady to play an asian character like Cassandra Cain or Katana.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I'd hope she has sense to stay away from anything with Whedon's name on it. He'll just cast another white lady to play an asian character like Cassandra Cain or Katana.

I dunno, she did do this...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My phone pinged me with some Variety expose on all the Whedon crap, saying they canvassed about 40 people who worked on the shows and basically found nothing new that was terribly juicy. Seems to be exactly what it looks like-- a case of a privileged princeling being a douche because he could, leveraging verbal abuse on employees he didn't like because he knew he could get away with it, and using his "We're the feminist show!" reputation as a shield to keep them from rocking the boat. The only thing that stood out was that they couldn't get full details on what Tracthenberg meant specifically beyond "He's not allowed in a room alone with [her] again" besides "there was an inappropriate verbal exchange" which could honestly mean a lot of things and none good.

In the end I mostly skimmed it because it had all the air of a sleazy afternoon TV movie that deglamours the franchises down to all but their very brightest moments, stripping the long-dead corpses for carrion. You can practically feel the thick SoCal evening sun drenching the mood and making everything feel wet and sticky. Kind of lurid, but ultimately very pedestrian and common. A tale of sleaze and corruption older than its participants, betraying every pretension to progressivism the show ever attempted to solidify. In some ways I actually think that does a bit of harm, as when this stuff was private or conjecture the shows did do some objective good for some people, even if it was based on faulty people and typical show business lies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

My phone pinged me with some Variety expose on all the Whedon crap, saying they canvassed about 40 people who worked on the shows and basically found nothing new that was terribly juicy. Seems to be exactly what it looks like-- a case of a privileged princeling being a douche because he could, leveraging verbal abuse on employees he didn't like because he knew he could get away with it, and using his "We're the feminist show!" reputation as a shield to keep them from rocking the boat. The only thing that stood out was that they couldn't get full details on what Tracthenberg meant specifically beyond "He's not allowed in a room alone with [her] again" besides "there was an inappropriate verbal exchange" which could honestly mean a lot of things and none good.

In the end I mostly skimmed it because it had all the air of a sleazy afternoon TV movie that deglamours the franchises down to all but their very brightest moments, stripping the long-dead corpses for carrion. You can practically feel the thick SoCal evening sun drenching the mood and making everything feel wet and sticky. Kind of lurid, but ultimately very pedestrian and common. A tale of sleaze and corruption older than its participants, betraying every pretension to progressivism the show ever attempted to solidify. In some ways I actually think that does a bit of harm, as when this stuff was private or conjecture the shows did do some objective good for some people, even if it was based on faulty people and typical show business lies.

I liked the Cosby Show when I was a kid, but I sure don't miss it now and I'm glad to see it gone. To each their own, but I don't think I could watch Whedon's shows again because I'd spend the whole time thinking about how they're just an alibi to let him get away with horrible things.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh I stopped a watch of Angel/Buffy/Firefly I was doing with my girlfriend midway because we both agreed this news was making the shows too unpalatable. Aside from some highlight reels those shows are gonna get buried.

All the same the shows did bring a lot of comfort and guidance to me during a very dark period, stupid as some will inevitably say that is, and I know they did for a lot of other people too. They're very flawed programs at the best of times, but they did have their moments of insight. I still consider Angel's finale to be a shockingly mature examination of how class politics actually works, even if it's all a thinly veiled metaphor for Whedon's impotent potshots at his bosses for canceling his show.

What chafes me is that for all of Buffy's trailblazing-- and make no mistake it did in-fact blaze some trails-- the drama behind the scenes was so loving basic. Like it couldn't be something really lurid or weird, it was just another case of a privileged rear end in a top hat being a privileged rear end in a top hat because everyone lets rich douchebags do whatever the gently caress they want.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bogus Adventure posted:

I dunno, she did do this...

When was this? Also holy poo poo that face, "yea I sexually assaulted this woman but she still will hug me" face.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

When was this? Also holy poo poo that face, "yea I sexually assaulted this woman but she still will hug me" face.

Based on the background, I guessed Comic Con? I think it was from the San Diego 2012 Comic Con after the Firefly 10th Anniversary Panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V85olh2aZ34

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s worth noticing that Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, and Gina Torres did not show up. I don’t know what they had going on in 2012, but it seems like at least one could have made it if they really wanted.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s worth noticing that Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, and Gina Torres did not show up. I don’t know what they had going on in 2012, but it seems like at least one could have made it if they really wanted.

Morena has a pretty decent career. She had just wrapped up V and was in the middle of doing Homeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bogus Adventure posted:

Based on the background, I guessed Comic Con? I think it was from the San Diego 2012 Comic Con after the Firefly 10th Anniversary Panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V85olh2aZ34

Yea that's 9 years ago, a lot can change in that time. Like Joss Whedon being outed as a sex monster who is garbage and should never work again.