Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to snipe an XsX? My Xbox One X is dying and Microsoft wants $200 for repairs. Otherwise I'd wait a year or two to see if the console gets cheaper / better but my One X is really dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
@Wario64 on twitter. Set up push notifications. Always be near a computer and logged into every webstore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anno posted:

Got some new campaign screenshots for Halo Infinite and it actually looks really nice now? More of an improvement than I was expecting at least. I’m more than happy for the game to look like that if they get it running well.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1365085164980871175

Ooh gosh yeah, this is a huge improvement over the Halo 3 quality graphics of when Infinite was originally announced.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Ooh gosh yeah, this is a huge improvement over the Halo 3 quality graphics of when Infinite was originally announced.

I have a suspicion* that the year has been spent putting so much work into the Series S/X version that its like a pre-emptive remaster and that the one S is going to run at like 540p and missing stuff. Game looks fun with the promise of "assault this base and clear it out" being the best part of Halo anyway but now as a sidequest whenever.

*I think this is a fact

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It's crazy that games are still being made for the OG Xbox One lol.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Anno posted:

Got some new campaign screenshots for Halo Infinite and it actually looks really nice now? More of an improvement than I was expecting at least. I’m more than happy for the game to look like that if they get it running well.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1365085164980871175

I'm loving what they're doing with Halo. Lots of good points in there.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

It's crazy that games are still being made for the OG Xbox One lol.

Only a few million Xbox Series or PlayStation 5 consoles have been sold so far, and supply is going to be heavily constrained through the end of this year at best. Making cross-generation games if you can right now is very smart.

The backward compatible nature of both consoles means that I think you'll see brand new indie releases on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for years and years.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
The position my series X is in currently, there's a good part of the day where the sunshine beams directly through the window onto it's full sexy upright body (side and back). Since we're getting to the part of the year where London actually sees some sunshine, I'm wondering if this going to be bad for it? I could move it to the other side of my TV.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

The position my series X is in currently, there's a good part of the day where the sunshine beams directly through the window onto it's full sexy upright body (side and back). Since we're getting to the part of the year where London actually sees some sunshine, I'm wondering if this going to be bad for it? I could move it to the other side of my TV.

It'll be fine

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zerot posted:

Only a few million Xbox Series or PlayStation 5 consoles have been sold so far, and supply is going to be heavily constrained through the end of this year at best. Making cross-generation games if you can right now is very smart.

The backward compatible nature of both consoles means that I think you'll see brand new indie releases on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for years and years.

I agree but games being finished now definitely did not start production thinking covid was a thing

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I agree but games being finished now definitely did not start production thinking covid was a thing

Games being finished now were likely targeting cross-generational release anyway, and that's not unusual. I think the effects of the pandemic are going to be reflected in continued game delays and first party support of the 2013 hardware for much longer than we are accustomed to seeing.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read that Gran Turismo and God of war for PS5 are being delayed. The COVID factor. (i hope Bradley is OK)

Is there something specific to gaming development that would require people to be in an office to get things done, like easy access to systems required/large file sizes etc? Seems to have really slowed development of a lot of AAA games more than it's affecting other industries.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dirt 5 is available now on Game Pass, this is a series X enhanced game too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Is there something specific to gaming development that would require people to be in an office to get things done, like easy access to systems required/large file sizes etc? Seems to have really slowed development of a lot of AAA games more than it's affecting other industries.

There were a lot of headaches brought on because many people don't have access to robust enough internet connections to work on things remotely, and also, critically, a lot of game devs didn't really have WFH allowances before so they could prevent people from having easy methods of leaking data. So a lot of game devs had to suddenly work out methods to do this in a way that still retained a certain degree of security.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

They had an influx of new users after that Sony presentation.

lol I wanted to watch that presentation on Xbox but Live being down meant I couldn't log into Twitch :thumbsup:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

lol I wanted to watch that presentation on Xbox but Live being down meant I couldn't log into Twitch :thumbsup:

I don't know why Xbox still forces all online interactions through XBL.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Dirt 5 is available now on Game Pass, this is a series X enhanced game too.

The setup part at the start where you have to choose between performance or graphics is somehow confusing to me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

John F Bennett posted:

The setup part at the start where you have to choose between performance or graphics is somehow confusing to me.

https://youtu.be/0Cr2PIGi7w8

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zerot posted:

I don't think people were completely wrong to make fun of Microsoft's "Make everything work on all our hardware" strategy back when they first announced it, but after the pandemic it sounds like it's going to work out well for them. The PS4 and Xbox One are going to continue getting big games well into 2022 due to nobody being able to buy those new consoles - or new graphics cards.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I was able to order an All Access bundle from WalMart. I'm a current PC Gamepass guy. Is there a list of games that'll have my saves carry over?

Most important are my Yakuzas and Dragon Quest, I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

I was able to order an All Access bundle from WalMart. I'm a current PC Gamepass guy. Is there a list of games that'll have my saves carry over?

Yakuza should. I'm guessing Dragon Quest probably will too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

univbee posted:

Yakuza should. I'm guessing Dragon Quest probably will too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Talking about Yakuza 0 in particular. The PC version is called "Yakuza 0 for Windows 10" and isn't listed as Play Anywhere.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Talking about Yakuza 0 in particular. The PC version is called "Yakuza 0 for Windows 10" and isn't listed as Play Anywhere.

Oh that might not work, then. Could go either way.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

DQ XI is definitely Play Anywhere. I don't think Yakuza 0 is, so no save migration.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

GigaPeon posted:

Here's a list: https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-play-anywhere/games

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anyone itt bought one of the Seagate expansion cards? i want one but also it's expensive and i feel like as soon as i buy one they're gonna come out with the 2TB version lol

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

barnold posted:

has anyone itt bought one of the Seagate expansion cards? i want one but also it's expensive and i feel like as soon as i buy one they're gonna come out with the 2TB version lol

I got one, it works flawlessly with no problems. It also costs twice what it should.

If you've got money to burn, go for it, if not, do an external SSD and deal with the minor inconvenience of with transferring stuff around instead.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I'm just using the external SSD I bought for my OG xbone one forever ago and it seriously takes no time at all to transfer games between it and the series x internal drive. When I first got the series X it took maybe 20 minutes to transfer 7-800 gigs of games, saves etc onto it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When I get my xbox series x, can I just use my external platter drive to transfer stuff from my one to the sex? Or would local transfer be recommended? My internet is fast and uncapped too so I could probably just redownload poo poo honestly, but I'm primarily wondering what the best method is just from an ease of use/less technical difficulties standpoint.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Nutt posted:

When I get my xbox series x, can I just use my external platter drive to transfer stuff from my one to the sex? Or would local transfer be recommended? My internet is fast and uncapped too so I could probably just redownload poo poo honestly, but I'm primarily wondering what the best method is just from an ease of use/less technical difficulties standpoint.

Just swap from your external.

When you setup your Series device itll download your settings and dashboard layout changes from online anyway, so the only real thing you need to transfer are the games themselves.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Crafty posted:

I would be careful and personally I'd move it out of direct sunlight, more so for Summer than right now.

The video I shared with the console thermals being tested was in the US and a lot of people here live in the US with well-ventilated homes and/or air conditioning. Here in the UK we do not have that and our homes are built to trap heat, which is why every Summer breaking records for temperature is accompanied by more deaths of elderly people in their homes unable to get out that are suffering from heat-related problems since houses turn into ovens, even with all the windows wide open.

American homes are much cooler and have good air ventilation so it's less of a worry (even if some states get freakishly hot e.g. Arizona and what happened there with everything melting :stare:) but I would definitely get any hardware you have away from direct sunlight, positioned for good airflow and be mindful that come Summer London's gonna be cookin' yet again :cheers:

You really don't wanna be indoors playing video games anyways when it rolls round but given Covid and our government being the worst this country has ever seen I'm expecting we'll need to enter yet another lockdown by then given the proposed lifting that's happening right now and the stages leading up to June.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crafty posted:

You should probably put it in your basement and use really long cords to connect it to your TV. I live in Arizona where it's sunny 99% of the year and my Series X lightly combusts every day at exactly 11:47am. They don't build houses with basements here so I have no choice but to live this way.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My series X randomly can't read my mafia definitive edition disc. I had downloaded it but never played it. Everything else is fine, disc isn't damaged. So weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

never let sunlight touch your discs!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

All my life I assumed that racing games weren't for me so I never bought them. But now that there are a bunch on gamepass I discovered that I am into racing games.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I touched the side of my Xbox today when the sun was beaming on him and it was scorching. I guess it’s just the outside that’s getting toasty, and I wouldn’t really be playing when it’s sunny because you can’t see poo poo on my TV when it’s this bright anyway. I’ll probably move it, but I’ll be sure to keep you all updated.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just move it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

John F Bennett posted:

All my life I assumed that racing games weren't for me so I never bought them. But now that there are a bunch on gamepass I discovered that I am into racing games.

Horizon 4 especially is good for the "do whatever you're in the mood for" factor.

It's a little thing but I was surprised when my not terribly common first name was in the nickname list, and even more surprised when characters started regularly using it in voiceovers. It has this surreal, xbox-has-come-alive feel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't get racing games where you can't shoot or blow up your opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
probably because you're bad at racing games and need to get good. common problem :blastu: