Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 19, 1943)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

You know, I'm beginning to understand why Josh of the comics curmudgeon quit even hate-reading Luann. The stakes in this comic are so low they're wedged now into the earth's mantle. I almost get to feeling like I"m being robbed of my life with the time I've wasted reading it, just these few seconds per day.

You know the kind of writing it reminds me of? Someone who just found out about TVTropes, and has decided to write a story so "clever" it subverts or avoids all narrative tropes, completely failing to actually bother attempting to tell a compelling story in the first place. Like the evanses think they're coming up with these really interesting twists, but what they don't realize is that twists are only cool narrative devices if the payoff is more dramatic, interesting, or at the very least funnier than the expectation. It's not a twist if you just suck all the tension out of the story, it's just a boring rear end flat story.

gently caress!!!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm just impressed that they have, in Bernice, created a character more instantly hateful than the most artfully constructed villain, and entirely by mistake.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She is a more complete villain than Chatu (The Python!).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Inspector Javert, the College Years

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Poil posted:

Where is Ballard Street and are there any vacancies? :allears:

It would truly be the greatest place on earth.

One of the things I love about Ballard Street is that it is, for the most part, completely devoid of judgmental commentary. People be crazy and that’s okay!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Inspector Javert, the College Years

Javert is at least driven by a sense of misplaced morality and a deep seated terror of chaos. Bernice is just a buzzkill.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

I can't believe I'm asking this, but how does Trapeze Doofus walk down a hall while hanging from a trapeze?

Imagine being an engineer for NASA and getting picked to work on creating a ship for the Mars exploration program, and feeling proud to help with such an amazing project. At first, you hear some grumbling from the pilots about nepotism because the computer selected the lead scientist and all of her friends to man the ship, with that douchey basketball player who wears sunglasses 24/7 being the one to pilot it. It's weird, you suppose, but it doesn't really have anything to do with you.

Then the requests start coming in. A gigantic fish tank in the lab, one that can comfortably contain something as big as a shark. The living quarters made to look like college dorm rooms, complete with wooden doors. Placing 3D printers out of every orifice of the ship, with half the project budget spent on buying ABS. Childproofing the entire ship, and somehow trying to figure out a way so the crewmember's children don't get killed by the G forces during the launch. And just when you thought you're done with this nightmare of a project, one last request comes in: They want you to install trapezes in every corner of the ship. :shepicide:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm just impressed that they have, in Bernice, created a character more instantly hateful than the most artfully constructed villain, and entirely by mistake.

If they weren't from completely different comics, I would've thought that Bernice was actually Les Moore's kid with how equally repugnant both of them are

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 13, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 22, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 8, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 3, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 3, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 15, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (October 5, 1947)

Those Were the Days (November 1, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 25, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 25, 1965)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Christ almighty.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

amigolupus posted:

And just when you thought you're done with this nightmare of a project, one last request comes in: They want you to install trapezes in every corner of the ship. :shepicide:

"Oh, and the main computer interface needs to be a costume that a man can live inside, 24 hours a day, for two or three years."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's out-of-order Blueberry: Being bitten by a snake is very bad. To get an idea, please click this link, or another editorial I took into my hands - in the comic, Cochise describes the tent as a 'tipi', now, not only is it obviously NOT a tipi in structure, it's extremely unlikely that Apache people would have referred to ANY tent-like structure as a tipi, that was more something used by other Native peoples. If anything, Cochise would have probably referred to such a structure as a wickiup, but even then, the tent being used is drastically different in structure, that I shouldn't think he'd even use THAT term, or Bascom schemes...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm just kind of amazed that in a comic strip where science is literal magic that transforms people into other creatures and time travel happens constantly, the dumbest thing is still the loving trapeze kid.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

You can't fool me, this is an edit, because the father didn't repeat what the baby said to provide exposition.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (October 5, 1947)

:hmmyes: You can only deny a reasonably-priced military jacket in your size for so long

quote:

I love this strip because every single gosh-darn installment is a unique window into how bad the 1890s were, but then also how much worse the 1950's were

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (November 8-12, 1999)

I'm going to repeat myself from yesterday: :capitalism:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mikl posted:

I'm going to repeat myself from yesterday: :capitalism:

Ok the mink joke is funny.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I laughed at a Family Circus today.

quote:

Foob

:yikes: Do not loving try to make us feel bad for an abuser. Jesus christ.
I read the webcomic, Wilde Life, which has also had an abusive father figure feature prominently recently, and it's like the polar loving opposite of how Foob is doing things.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Promotion by dead man's shoes? Dharma is grim. :stare:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Green Intern posted:

:yikes: Do not loving try to make us feel bad for an abuser. Jesus christ.
I read the webcomic, Wilde Life, which has also had an abusive father figure feature prominently recently, and it's like the polar loving opposite of how Foob is doing things.
See, I interpreted it differently, which is that Gordon is a kid who loves his parents which is a position that makes it so much harder to really accept when they're hurting you and to try to get away. Obviously Lynn has her own complicated history, but part of that is I thought she was physically abused growing up, and she had a really hard time cutting her parents out of her life because the idea that 'family trumps all' had been so ingrained in her by her parents. So, uh, I don't think she's writing Gordon as 'everyone should just forgive me no matter what because I'm sad', but 'this is how I felt growing up about my parents'.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Missed a day.

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 26, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 26, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 26, 1989)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 26, 1943)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like how their eyes match. Was Courtney in the strip at the later years? She's pretty funny most of the time. She cares as much about Grumbles as she is paid and treated to.

But Yen is Japanese isn't it? So about $5?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poil posted:

But Yen is Japanese isn't it? So about $5?

About that much, yeah.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (November 3, 1989)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mammila is a sort of opposite to a standard soap comic strip like Rex Morgan. It doesn't spend 4 weeks labouring between every story beat, it covers three on one page and then skips a month and leaves you to fill in the gaps.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Poil posted:

I really like how their eyes match. Was Courtney in the strip at the later years? She's pretty funny most of the time. She cares as much about Grumbles as she is paid and treated to.
Looks like she eventually get fired, but it will take 7 years.

goatface posted:

Mammila is a sort of opposite to a standard soap comic strip like Rex Morgan. It doesn't spend 4 weeks labouring between every story beat, it covers three on one page and then skips a month and leaves you to fill in the gaps.
Well there is 2 weeks between each page.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Mikl posted:

I wonder how many K&K punchlines can be replaced with a Flintstones style "eh, it's a living"?

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Poil posted:

Promotion by dead man's shoes? Dharma is grim. :stare:

Just wanting to kill the boss, perfectly normal.