Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

Uhhh... why?

Why what?

Why do I think that Wanda will have to kill her children? Because her children her beings of the Hex. So if she takes down the Hex they die just like Hex-Vision was dying at the end of Episode 6. Now, granted that there's always the possibility of some kind of unknown magical bullshit that prevents/mitigates that effort. But everything we've seen so far indicates that's what should happen if/when the Hex falls.

or

Why do I think that Wanda having to effectively kill her own children is punishment enough? Because I'm not an unfeeling psychopath, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Omg they'd play off each other sooooo well. And then they kiss, in this picture i drew.

Completely ridiculous, Hahn's older than Hiddleston, and only by about 6 years. That's not how we do things in Hollywood! The woman's gotta be at least 15 years younger than the guy or everyone will think she's old and gross!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's not a great message to say "all these people's pain and suffering is meaningless compared to the super human's pain and suffering and we're just going to pretend it didn't happen."

Being controlled as a puppet for one to two weeks is probably less awful than having to kill your lover, only to have them brought back before your eyes and murdered again right in front of you and then snapping back to reality to find 5 years have passed without you, that your husband is not only dead but that he's now basically a science experiment and that you don't even have the right to bury him for closure. I mean, I can't say as I have experience of either, but I'm going to guess one is probably less emotionally harrowing than the other. And that, if someone gave me the option to blank away one or two weeks where I wasn't in control of myself and just acting on someone else's whims that I wouldn't choose to leave those memories go, or at least to delete the fear they induced so I know that time was there but don't have that fear anymore, but I don't think I'd blank the pain of a loved ones passing.

So I guess I do think one is less meaningful than the other. Not meaningless, but certainly not comparable.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

Completely ridiculous, Hahn's older than Hiddleston, and only by about 6 years. That's not how we do things in Hollywood! The woman's gotta be at least 15 years younger than the guy or everyone will think she's old and gross!

Forget Hiddleston. I figured he drew Agatha and Wanda making out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

Uhhh... why?

Assuming her children are an artificial construct of the hex then letting the hex go presumably means killing her kids and Vision, no? It theoretically explains why Vision couldn't leave the hex. Because he doesn't exist outside it. His body was in a box. Now I definitely subscribe to the theory that Vision's "soul" was somehow pulled out of the either because of Wanda's connection to the Mind Stone that created him and its possible her kids come from some kind of similar place. But at the very least the twins don't appear to have actual human bodies. Even Monica's transformed clothes were formed from other clothes she went in with. So what are the twins? There might be an answer for that, and long term I expect Speed and Wiccan will reemerge in the MCU, but for now it does kind of seem like the resolution of this means Wanda letting go of what she's been holding onto.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Maybe just have Wanda imbue Vis, Billy, and Tommy with permanent little mini hexes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Inspector 34 posted:

Maybe just have Wanda imbue Vis, Billy, and Tommy with permanent little mini hexes.

That's a great idea, but the whole point is that Wanda, right now, has a gently caress-ton of power but no real knowledge or skill in using it. She doesn't really get how she made the the big Hex, much less how to make "mini-Hexes."

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Still living up to your name. Ok, just we’re clear the only problem I have with Steven Universe is all the crying. All the LGTBQ themes I am copacetic with and support. I’m a grouch, not toxic. Jesus.

Oof. Don't watch movies with me then. Every emotional scene since I watched some movie in 2009 has caused my waterworks to cry at EVERYTHING. Otters with their pups? Tears. Emotional moment in a movie i like? Done. Sad story about animals or kids. Grab me a napkin.

I guess my emotional damage makes me quite the pussy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

Forget Hiddleston. I figured he drew Agatha and Wanda making out.

It was actually a picture of me and Agatha making out, if I must confess.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tsob posted:

Being controlled as a puppet for one to two weeks is probably less awful than having to kill your lover, only to have them brought back before your eyes and murdered again right in front of you and then snapping back to reality to find 5 years have passed without you, that your husband is not only dead but that he's now basically a science experiment and that you don't even have the right to bury him for closure. I mean, I can't say as I have experience of either, but I'm going to guess one is probably less emotionally harrowing than the other. And that, if someone gave me the option to blank away one or two weeks where I wasn't in control of myself and just acting on someone else's whims that I wouldn't choose to leave those memories go, or at least to delete the fear they induced so I know that time was there but don't have that fear anymore, but I don't think I'd blank the pain of a loved ones passing.

So I guess I do think one is less meaningful than the other. Not meaningless, but certainly not comparable.

lol

Her pain takes paramount then and theirs is lesser. A whole town. With kids. For weeks. Wiggle your fingers the problem away no harm no foul. I bet that lady who was weeping as she was forced to robotically attempt to put up that halloween decoration like she was in the Hall of Presidents would be super cool with magic rohypnol'ing it away if you told her about it afterwards.

I get it's super heroes shows but jesus!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So why is the stinger scene a big deal? Without the stone a reactivated Vision has no power he’s just an advanced Stark suit. No flying, no power beam, no mass manipulation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Oof. Don't watch movies with me then. Every emotional scene since I watched some movie in 2009 has caused my waterworks to cry at EVERYTHING. Otters with their pups? Tears. Emotional moment in a movie i like? Done. Sad story about animals or kids. Grab me a napkin.

You are Crying Fan Art Ahsoka Tano and that's okay.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Ignis posted:

Fun anachronism from this week's episode: Wanda was born in 89 and her parents died when she was 10, so that flashback would presumably happen in 99, before those editions of Bewitched S1 (June 2005) and Malcolm S1 (2002) were made. I figure it's just a production goof and not actual foreshadowing to things, fwiw :v:

This actually caused me to double take, since i felt the years didnt add up. I remember watching the latter when it first came on, so, it didn't make sense. Glad you caught it too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Everyone posted:

That's a great idea, but the whole point is that Wanda, right now, has a gently caress-ton of power but no real knowledge or skill in using it. She doesn't really get how she made the the big Hex, much less how to make "mini-Hexes."

Eh, I figure the trauma of having to decide whether or not they get to continue to exist will give her the ability to do it on accident.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

TwT

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

So why is the stinger scene a big deal? Without the stone a reactivated Vision has no power he’s just an advanced Stark suit. No flying, no power beam, no mass manipulation.
It's "white Vision" from the 80-90s so "reference."

Honestly nervous about the dismount on this one, but at least the actors and production team are absolutely killing it with the pathos. This episode hit surprisingly hard even knowing it was just a grief reel.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Looked to me like he had some sort of power stone in his head, blue glow and all.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Never was a slanderous insult more brazenly laid down :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector 34 posted:

I mean, even if that's possible the only person currently present who presumably would have even the vaguest idea of how to do it would be Agatha. And she very clearly didn't seem to have any idea how Wanda was doing it in the first place, let alone how to perfect it. I guess theoretically Strange could pop in with answers but the whole theme of Agatha's thing seemed to be that Wanda's doing this poo poo instinctively and beyond the established rules.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 27, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

lol

Her pain takes paramount then and theirs is lesser. A whole town. With kids. For weeks. Wiggle your fingers the problem away no harm no foul. I bet that lady who was weeping as she was forced to robotically attempt to put up that halloween decoration like she was in the Hall of Presidents would be super cool with magic rohypnol'ing it away if you told her about it afterwards.

I get it's super heroes shows but jesus!

No, I don't think you get it. You seem to think "she's the protagonist/hero/superperson so her pain is automatically more impactful", which is not what I said. If the positions were reversed, and random woman crying as she stood in a loop had just had to kill her husband, then watch him be revived and murdered in front of her and wasn't allowed to bury him for closure because he was suddenly classified as government property and/or a possession, while Wanda was only puppeted through someone else's story for two weeks then I'd say the same thing and that that random woman deserves compassion and that Wanda could probably afford to have her memories of that period deleted, or at least edited to extract any emotional ties.

It's also worth noting that while she was crying, when Norm was awoken, he was emotionally distraught not just because he wanted to get back to his life, but because he could feel Wanda's grief washing over him at all times and it hurt him. So (a) she may have been crying because she can feel Wanda's pain and not just because of her own distress, (b) she probably doesn't want to hold on to Wanda's pain for the rest of her life, and deal with someone else's trauma, never mind her own and (c) she's probably more likely to be sympathetic because she knows WHY Wanda was doing what she was doing, or at least, can feel why to some degree.

And also nevermind that the proposed solution is not "wiggle your fingers and poof it away", it's "ask these people if they want the memories to stay, the memories to be edited or the memories to be deleted and let them choose".

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, Vision is still made from a lot of Vibranium, so Cataract probably has some power just off that alone. He may not be able to phase in and out of things, fire beams etc. but he's probably still super strong and able to absorb a lot of damage at the very least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 27, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Steven Universe is great. The only thing the MCU is doing wrong is not crying and Singing at the same time.

It's the cry signing that's just chef kiss.

https://youtu.be/6OWq38TikzU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

tsob posted:

It's also worth noting that while she was crying, when Norm was awoken, he was emotionally distraught not just because he wanted to get back to his life, but because he could feel Wanda's grief washing over him at all times and it hurt him. So (a) she may have been crying because she can feel Wanda's pain and not just because of her own distress, (b) she probably doesn't want to hold on to Wanda's pain for the rest of her life, and deal with someone else's trauma, never mind her own and (c) she's probably more likely to be sympathetic because she knows WHY Wanda was doing what she was doing, or at least, can feel why to some degree.
This is a key point, I think. Monica has said over and over that she felt Wanda's pain and wanted to help her. We can write that off as one heroic character's sensitivity and compassion, especially since she too is grieving in an impossible way like Wanda. But its certainly possible EVERYONE is feeling Wanda's pain and empathizing with her and what's happening. And its entirely possible that if see has to kill her family to end this they'll all feel that too.

I don't really like the idea of mind wiping everyone. That feels way sketchy to me. But it would almost be more interesting if there was this entire town who was victimized by her but who empathized with her while outside observers just saw her as a threat.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tsob posted:

No, I don't think you get it. You seem to think "she's the protagonist/hero/superperson so her pain is automatically more impactful", which is not what I said. If the positions were reversed, and random woman crying as she stood in a loop had just had to kill her husband, then watch him be revived and murdered in front of her and wasn't allowed to bury him for closure because he was suddenly classified as government property and/or a possession, while Wanda was only puppeted through someone else's story for two weeks then I'd say the same thing and that that random woman deserves compassion and that Wanda could probably afford to have her memories of that period deleted, or at least edited to extract any emotional ties.

And also nevermind that the proposed solution is not "wiggle your fingers and poof it away", it's "ask these people if they want the memories to stay, the memories to be edited or the memories to be deleted and let them choose".

Um how else would you like me to interpret "The thing is, Wanda up to this point has specialized in manipulating memories so I can absolutely see Wanda and Strange together just erasing the fortnight or so that the hex was in effect from people's memories." That is what you proposed and even if people were given a choice it doesn't at all account for uh what happens to people who DON'T go for the ol mind wiperino. What recourse do they have? Forced to sign an NDA because they had crimes committed against them? What if they want to go on tv and say "The Avenger lady mind controlled me and my family to do weird sitcom stuff and psychically projected her sadness into our brain."

Morally, regardless of your grief it's still not ok to rob people of their autonomy. And even if "only a couple weeks" that's because people were trying to stop Wanda, not because she herself wanted or was going to stop. Weighing up somebody's pain against another and deciding when it's ok to let them commit crimes against you is super weird.

Wanda deserves compassion I don't think she should get drone striked while sipping on starbucks but what she's doing is wrong she knows it's wrong and doesn't mean she shouldn't be held accountable for enslaving a town for weeks to make her own little stage show to work through her grief.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It is relieving but not as darkly funny that Wanda isn't loving a dead body

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ignis posted:

Fun anachronism from this week's episode: Wanda was born in 89 and her parents died when she was 10, so that flashback would presumably happen in 99, before those editions of Bewitched S1 (June 2005) and Malcolm S1 (2002) were made. I figure it's just a production goof and not actual foreshadowing to things, fwiw :v:

I want to think that DVD technology developed a lot faster in the MCU and that Frankie Muniz is at least 5 years older so that Malcolm in the Middle actually premiered in the late 90s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pretty sure Hayward is going to be exposed as being evil, or at least immoral by specifically creating a scenario to harm Wanda's mental health and then creating a false narrative where she is a villain and Monica is going to end up in charge of SWORD, which will absolve Wanda of what was happening.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

My Face When posted:

My emotional damage makes me a cardiac risk.

Crying is only acceptable at the funeral of a parent or child. Afterwards. In your car.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For a post-credits to this season... Since Dr. Strange has been filming for awhile, seems like it should be fairly easy to film a coda using the Sanctum set. That way you get a little extra bang for their buck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

But it would almost be more interesting if there was this entire town who was victimized by her but who empathized with her while outside observers just saw her as a threat.
Having this be the public perception of events is also a very smart way to field test how they're going to portray mutants eventually.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

Um how else would you like me to interpret "The thing is, Wanda up to this point has specialized in manipulating memories so I can absolutely see Wanda and Strange together just erasing the fortnight or so that the hex was in effect from people's memories." That is what you proposed and even if people were given a choice it doesn't at all account for uh what happens to people who DON'T go for the ol mind wiperino. What recourse do they have? Forced to sign an NDA because they had crimes committed against them? What if they want to go on tv and say "The Avenger lady mind controlled me and my family to do weird sitcom stuff and psychically projected her sadness into our brain."

I propose you interpret it under the exact context I expanded it out to when you argued about it. Which is why I explained it further in the first place. If someone doesn't want to, then don't force them. Their pain is not insignificant, and I never said it was; only that it wasn't as significant. If someone wants to take further action, then they should, but I think between the two a lot of people would prefer not to hold on to someone else's grief and trauma for the rest of their lives given the chance. It's hard enough dealing with your own, most of the time. I'm sure between the Avengers, SWORD (who do have some complicity in all this) and the American government they'll be able to pony up to settle multiple court cases for damages. At the end of the day though, I don't think punitive measures are a good outcome in this case (in most, really), because such punishments only create misery and misery is what lead to this in the first place, so it'd probably just cause more problems down the line. I also think most of the residents would agree with it, given they've felt the breadth of her grief.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure Hayward is going to be exposed as being evil, or at least immoral by specifically creating a scenario to harm Wanda's mental health and then creating a false narrative where she is a villain and Monica is going to end up in charge of SWORD, which will absolve Wanda of what was happening.

In a vacuum my guess would be that Monica leaves SWORD and becomes a hero in her own right while Hayworth remains head of a shady government agency that ends with your typical truce at gun point with a "watch your step, I'll be watching" parting.

But I still have no real idea what SWORD is or what if anything it has to do with SHIELD, Nick Fury, or Skrulls.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wanda can atone by gentrifying the sad town. Problem solved!

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wanda can atone by gentrifying the sad town. Problem solved!

yeah from what we saw of westview before, if she leaves things in better condition than when she arrived, they might be grateful for her.

maybe.

poor doug looking so defeated as he put up a flyer, as if he knew that it was hopeless, actually made me sad. i hope wanda gave him back his piano.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it'll be a big deal because Wanda is going to be super pissed when she finds out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Love the stupidity of the Sword compound scene.
First the director's office has a view into what can only be useful to watch someone being interrogated or autopsied in.
Garage mechanic sounds and hazmat suits lol.
And to make it dramatic they get someone to buff a bit around the gem space to create sparks as if it was doing anything to the hardest material known to man.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

Morally, regardless of your grief it's still not ok to rob people of their autonomy. And even if "only a couple weeks" that's because people were trying to stop Wanda, not because she herself wanted or was going to stop. Weighing up somebody's pain against another and deciding when it's ok to let them commit crimes against you is super weird.

Wanda deserves compassion I don't think she should get drone striked while sipping on starbucks but what she's doing is wrong she knows it's wrong and doesn't mean she shouldn't be held accountable for enslaving a town for weeks to make her own little stage show to work through her grief.

Okay, well, what exactly does "being held accountable" mean in this situation?

The thing is that when you boil it all down, all of human law is "You will do as the tribe wills or the tribe will kill you." That covers everything from "Don't commit murder" to "don't cut those little tags off of the mattresses."

So what happens when the tribe can't kill you? Or at least can't kill you without risking a bunch of collateral damage AKA a bunch of relatively innocent people snuffing it in their attempt to snuff you.

As far as I can tell "power nullification cuffs" and the like aren't really a thing in the MCU yet. Agatha's technique aside locking Wanda in Supermax isn't really an option. In your post you say that you don't think she should get drone-struck, but I fail to see any real options between "Kill Wanda" or "Pick some kind of punishment that Wanda specifically agrees to accept but can ultimately choose to ignore whenever she feels like doing so."

It isn't fair or nice. It especially isn't "justice" but I don't think "justice" is achievable here. Probably the least worst option is that Wanda ends the Hex and uses her power to repair/mitigate the psychic harm she did.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 27, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mirror123 posted:

I think it'll be a big deal because Wanda is going to be super pissed when she finds out.
Also

(a) He'd still be a vibranium robot soldier designed by Ultron and Tony Stark and presumably capable of poo poo beyond just what the Infinity Stone gave him. No one every said he could phase because the Stone let him or because Ultron designed him to.

(b) It would still be the reanimated corpse of an Avenger and good person who sacrificed his life to try and save half the life of the universe.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo as someone who has been suffering from severe depression for a long while, Wanda's discussion with Vision about her grief just kicked me right in the stomach.

I think that might be my favorite episode of the show. Elizabeth Olsen rules. Kathryn Hahn in full-rear end Witch drag also rules

quoting to say extreme same, i'm pretty emotional right now but i'm glad about it, if that makes any sense

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

My emotional damage makes me a cardiac risk.

Crying is only acceptable at the funeral of a parent or child. Afterwards. In your car.

How is furlough suiting you, Mr Swanson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tsob posted:

I propose you interpret it under the exact context I expanded it out to when you argued about it. Which is why I explained it further in the first place. If someone doesn't want to, then don't force them. Their pain is not insignificant, and I never said it was; only that it wasn't as significant. If someone wants to take further action, then they should, but I think between the two a lot of people would prefer not to hold on to someone else's grief and trauma for the rest of their lives given the chance. It's hard enough dealing with your own, most of the time. I'm sure between the Avengers, SWORD (who do have some complicity in all this) and the American government they'll be able to pony up to settle multiple court cases for damages. At the end of the day though, I don't think punitive measures are a good outcome in this case (in most, really), because such punishments only create misery and misery is what lead to this in the first place, so it'd probably just cause more problems down the line. I also think most of the residents would agree with it, given they've felt the breadth of her grief.

I think we're just gonna go round and round on this so I'll just say regardless of the depth of one person's grief I think offering people the option to mind wipe it away is just papering over the crime regardless of how powerful the perpetrator was/is and not a great solution.

Everyone posted:

Okay, well, what exactly does "being held accountable" mean in this situation?

The thing is that when you boil it all down, all of human law is "You will do as the tribe wills or the tribe will kill you." That covers everything from "Don't commit murder" to "don't cut those little tags off of the mattresses."

So what happens when the tribe can't kill you? Or at least can't kill you without risking a bunch of collateral damage AKA a bunch of relatively innocent people snuffing it in their attempt to snuff you.

As far as I can tell "power nullification cuffs" and the like aren't really a thing in the MCU yet. Agatha's technique aside locking Wanda in Supermax isn't really an option. In your post you say that you don't think she should get drone-struck, but I fail to see any real options between "Kill Wanda" or "Pick some kind of punishment that Wanda specifically agrees to accept but can ultimately choose to ignore whenever she feels like doing so."

It isn't fair or nice. It especially isn't "justice" but I don't think "justice" is achievable here. Probably the least worst option is that Wanda ends the Hex and uses her power to repair/mitigate the psychic harm she did.

It just feels real eeesh that because a person is untouchable you just gotta live with it when they trample on you. I like Wanda and I don't want her strung up but man it also doesn't feel right for her to keep blowing up buildings and taking over towns and because she's had a horrible life that stuff gets swept under the rug.