Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Dash Rendar was the lame, console version of Boba Fett. Apparently the devs wanted to do a Fett game, but Nintendo wanted an ~exclusive character~ so they came up with Dash instead.

where did you read this

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I keep trying to read the SotE novel to mentally insert myself into all the dash scenes (im Dashs irl best friend in my headcanon) but i cant get passed the lameXizor parts

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cease to Hope posted:

where did you read this

It was mentioned by Jon Knoles, one of the lead designers and animators of the game, as part of an interview in this detailed video on the whole history of Shadows of the Empire project. The part about originally wanting Boba Fett to be the main character is about 24 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Godspeed You Dash Rendar

Sally posted:

one of my favourite bands.

D#R#∞

Lift Yer Leather Space Gloves Like Antennas To Space

Skyhook X.O.

IG-88! Don't Bend! You Physically Can't!

"Yo, It's Me Dash"

Luciferian Rendar

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

man, I hardly needed to change anything at all. These things are just basically "Dash Rendar's Bar Stories: The Meme":

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

I keep trying to read the SotE novel to mentally insert myself into all the dash scenes (im Dashs irl best friend in my headcanon) but i cant get passed the lameXizor parts

When I was in the hospital unconscious for a week and a half due to an illness a few years back, my mother came to visit me often and would read to me at my bedside to help me through it. She decided to grab whatever I'd left on top of my desk before going to the ICU. That book just happened to be Shadows of the Empire.

She later confessed to me that she read about five pages out loud, put the book down and went to find a newspaper instead because it was that god awful :allears:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

When I was in the hospital unconscious for a week and a half due to an illness a few years back, my mother came to visit me often and would read to me at my bedside to help me through it. She decided to grab whatever I'd left on top of my desk before going to the ICU. That book just happened to be Shadows of the Empire.

She later confessed to me that she read about five pages out loud, put the book down and went to find a newspaper instead because it was that god awful :allears:

what does your mom think about fleek eels?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jazerus posted:

what does your mom think about fleek eels?

What the gently caress is a fleek eel?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress is a fleek eel?

xizor loves 'em

that's all we know, really

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Shadows of the Empire basically invented En Fleec.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rash Dendar

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zoran posted:

Rash Dendar

They have a cream for that now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Q: Why is Dash Rendar wearing two-thirds of a tire?

A: Dash Rendar comes from the planet of Firestooine, and is the long lost prince of House Mish-El-Yn

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my question is, where did he put the other part of the tire

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
His closet as a spare.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
well drat

Robot Style posted:

Apparently the shoulder pads were a result of Dash being the player character of an N64 game, and they needed a way to attach his low-poly arms to his body in a way that only looked a little hosed up.

As for why they were tires specifically, they might have been inspired (consciously or otherwise) by the segmented padded curves that are all over the inside of the Falcon, which might subconsciously read as "smuggler".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Dash Rendar is okay.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Counterpoint: Dash Rendar is problematic

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Give the people what they want Disney.

Dash movie
How about the R-rated version?
https://vimeo.com/266741574

Big Beef City posted:

"What if instead...I shoot ya right in the fuckin FACE"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, that's an in-franchise explanation, but really it was just the style at the time. The 90s were real big on presenting characters with big, exaggerated forms to make them look more manly and muscular and top-heavy. The posterboy for that was Cable, who had these big ridiculous shoulderpads along with an ever-shifting assortment of bandoliers of ammunition, pouches, and weird generic shapes (that he would never actually use, it's unclear the artists even knew what they even were aside from some extra detail and visual interest).

The combination of shoulderpads and bandoliers eventually stylistically developed into making the shoulderpads padded to kinda have an aesthetic like bandolier pouches.

Although Dash Rendar's big plush, padded shoulderpads also go with his padded pants, which have a plush quilt pattern like the rest of the Rebel uniforms at Hoth. Because it's chilly there. But it's still the 90s, so Dash has to get bicep-frostbite to show off his guns.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I like that Dash Rendar is still considered canon even though he was only brought back for a joke line.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Counterpoint: Dash Rendar is problematic

Dash seems like the kinda guy who listens to Tatooine's version of Joe Rogan, who'd probably be called Drig Rogast.

halokiller posted:

I like that Dash Rendar is still considered canon even though he was only brought back for a joke line.

I was at Disney's Hollywood Studios on Saturday and I swear to god I saw Dash Rendar for a split second during Star Tours. I rode it three more times but of course they were all different.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Robot Style posted:

Dash Rendar was the lame, console version of Boba Fett. Apparently the devs wanted to do a Fett game, but Nintendo wanted an ~exclusive character~ so they came up with Dash instead.

Nonsense, he was envisioned as having his own story from the beginning and he predates the games -- as a novel, a game and a soundtrack as "a movie starwars without a movie" multimedia project, wasn't it?

I think what I remember most about SOTE is Gall Spaceport which blew my mind as a kid.

https://kotaku.com/an-n64-star-wars-game-had-one-level-that-was-ahead-of-i-1826240307

Here, this too: This video, though an hour long here is fantastic once it finally gets going and might blow the minds of people who previously just assumed everything achieved in the game was something any game was capable of. Its also something I urge any aspiring level designers to watch, because it gives you a sense of how levels were designed before "honest geometry" became the norm.

SOTE is really drat interesting when you think about it in context.

I like to think they're either pockets or some sort of portable shield generator but ultimately idk there's lots of potential functional uses.

I don't remember the Outrider having a galley(??) so I think he keeps all of his snacks there in case he gets hungry :3

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 19, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I saved this thread till the time in my life I most needed to read speculation about the tire-shoulder man's origins, and it did not disappoint.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
sometimes bumping your old zero effort threads pays off

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dash rendar is here for you in this trying time

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Dash Rendar is cool and good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

josh04 posted:

I saved this thread till the time in my life I most needed to read speculation about the tire-shoulder man's origins, and it did not disappoint.

:hai:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dash Rendar came to me in a dream, flying and bouncing on his shoulder pads ever closer. Making kick-ball noises the entire way. Breathtaking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Dash Rendar Memes thread has caused me to learn an important fact- Dash isn't wearing two-thirds of a tire at all. He's just born so buff that he has a few extra sets of abs growing off each pec into each lat. In addition to the normal eight-pack that he also has.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Dash Rendar is cool and good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dash Rendar movie is what we need to pull star war out of its boring funk. Comee on Disney what do you have to lose?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Dash Rendar movie is what we need to pull star war out of its boring funk. Comee on Disney what do you have to lose?

Rogue One was in a lot of ways just Dark Forces. It even had video game objectives for plot points and action sequences.

-get key to door
-find plans
-fetch quest
-rotate satellite
-climb long ladder
-escape in time before destruction
-open door after a sequence/pattern

Even Jyn Erso is strikingly close to Jan Ors.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 18, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dash Render considering whether or not he should wear two-thirds of a tire.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ultimately the way people dress is an expression of their outlook

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

josh04 posted:

Dash Render considering whether or not he should wear two-thirds of a tire.

:hmmyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Rash Dender

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

We have Han Solo at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Who do you think Dash Rendar's Dengar is?