Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hobbesmaster posted:

HOLY COW I'M TOTALLY GOING SO FAST OH F***
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

LDFLAGS='-Wl,-O1,--enable-new-dtags,--sort-common,--allow-multiple-definition,--allow-multiple-definition,--relax -z combreloc -z muldefs -s'

CFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2"

CXXFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fabi-version=0 -fpermissive -fno-enforce-eh-specs"

if something ever has more than 3 flags my eyes immediately glaze over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hbag posted:

if something ever has more than 3 flags my eyes immediately glaze over

—relax

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

LDFLAGS='-Wl,-O1,--enable-new-dtags,--sort-common,--allow-multiple-definition,--allow-multiple-definition,--relax -z combreloc -z muldefs -s'

CFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2"

CXXFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fabi-version=0 -fpermissive -fno-enforce-eh-specs"

i ain’t reading all that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

i ain’t reading all that

ieee 754 is for losers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Captain Foo posted:

i ain’t reading all that

quote:

(2) stop using such ridiculous CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

no

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
USE="GAPING_SECURITY_HOLE

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

-fno-ring

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

hobbesmaster posted:

these compiler flags do not exist dot com

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

honestly it’s art, I mean look at the ldflags

--allow-multiple-definition,--allow-multiple-definition

it’s perfect

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

psiox posted:

these compiler flags do not exist dot com

https://doesnotexist.codes/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

ieee 754 is for losers

you cant deny that anyone who cares about the effects of -ffast-math is a huge nerd

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
funswitch and funroll sound like words you'd hear at a furry party

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you cant deny that anyone who cares about the effects of -ffast-math is a huge nerd

point 1: I do care about the effects of -ffast-math
point 2: I am a turbo nerd

story checks out

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

GAPING_SECURITY_HOLE

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/netcat/+/refs/tags/android-2.2.3_r1/netcat.c#570

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

-fno-enforce-eh-specs

eh specs sounds like a canadian dialect

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

never forget that 2.4 linux had a web server built directly into the kernel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Private Speech posted:

also fedora is what Linus himself is using these days

you mean he hasn’t just been carrying a single system image forward since he started hacking on MINIX-386?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Gentle Autist posted:

my kid is loving nuts for jurassic park and you’ve just given me a great in for ruining his life by teaching him linux

gently caress that, get your kid an Octane running Irix 6.5.30 and they’ll be the coolest kid in the computer science department

raise them on default ksh and 4dwm Motif and MIPSpro C++ and OpenInventor

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sb hermit posted:

never forget that 2.4 linux had a web server built directly into the kernel

time to bring it back but update it to run a node.js server.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

sb hermit posted:

To be incredibly honest, I don't really know if 30 GB is enough to install Gentoo because it needs to download and install packages from source, and also keep around development headers and etc. Especially if you want to use a graphical environment and not just run a barebones apache server or something.

But yeah, please try it out and let us know how it goes.

I think that’s enough for NetBSD, the OP should try that

also that’s plenty of room for Haiku, and it’ll probably run really well too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My mother bought one of those 30GB netbooks from a pharmacy a couple of years ago against my advice because she is a cheapskate, and it's been horrible. The first year or so was fine but there is no room for anything anymore on that thing and every time I visit I'm spending an hour to clean up temp files and old updates and stuff like it's 1999. It still runs Windows 8.1 because the upgrade to 10 kept failing due to lack of space. I refuse to touch it anymore.

So yes, perfect for installing gentoo or whatever.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

My mother bought one of those 30GB netbooks from a pharmacy a couple of years ago

please buy your mother an ipad thanks

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

please buy your mother an ipad thanks

That's exactly what I did

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

My mother bought one of those 30GB netbooks from a pharmacy a couple of years ago against my advice because she is a cheapskate, and it's been horrible. The first year or so was fine but there is no room for anything anymore on that thing and every time I visit I'm spending an hour to clean up temp files and old updates and stuff like it's 1999. It still runs Windows 8.1 because the upgrade to 10 kept failing due to lack of space. I refuse to touch it anymore.

So yes, perfect for installing gentoo or whatever.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/quick-start-guide

or you could install chromium os on it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you don't have to keep the sources, so 30GB is plenty, even for gentoo

just remember to clean out your distfiles folder when done

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Careful though, a Linux source tree can get pretty large after building. 5GB for 5.11. Probably a good idea to use gentoo-kernel-bin anyway.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

spankmeister posted:

time to bring it back but update it to run a node.js server.

and then take everything else out, unikernel bitch

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

currently bedridden with my fedora laptop after getting cool and fun side effects from my covid vaccine
so uh i guess ill try setting up either an arch or a gentoo box

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

I think that’s enough for NetBSD, the OP should try that

also that’s plenty of room for Haiku, and it’ll probably run really well too

haiku is real pretty, but i wonder if it's as interesting for anyone who didn't use beos

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Anyone got any experience with the builds put out by Neverware, who have apparently now been acquired by Google (so may not exist by the time you see this lol)

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey hbag, welcome to the pos.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

haiku is real pretty, but i wonder if it's as interesting for anyone who didn't use beos

it’s far more usable than any desktop Linux I’ve tried

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a hell of a place to set the bar

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
yeah I'm a hacker *types emerge x11-base/xorg-drivers and sits back*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah I'm a hacker *types pastes emerge x11-base/xorg-drivers into terminal and sits back*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bah

code:
$ cat ~/bin/yolo
#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/xsrc
git pull --rebase
cd /usr/src
git pull --rebase
./build.sh -U -u -x tools
./build.sh -U -u -x kernel=GENERIC
./build.sh -U -u -x distribution
./build.sh -U -u -x install=/
cp /netbsd /netbsd.old
cp /usr/obj/sys/arch/`uname -m`/compile/GENERIC/netbsd /netbsd
shutdown -r now

$ sudo ~/bin/yolo
what’s the worst that could happen

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

eschaton posted:

bah

code:
$ cat ~/bin/yolo
#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/xsrc
git pull --rebase
cd /usr/src
git pull --rebase
./build.sh -U -u -x tools
./build.sh -U -u -x kernel=GENERIC
./build.sh -U -u -x distribution
./build.sh -U -u -x install=/
cp /netbsd /netbsd.old
cp /usr/obj/sys/arch/`uname -m`/compile/GENERIC/netbsd /netbsd
shutdown -r now

$ sudo ~/bin/yolo
what’s the worst that could happen

a functional netbsd system

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

currently bedridden with my fedora laptop after getting cool and fun side effects from my covid vaccine
so uh i guess ill try setting up either an arch or a gentoo box

they are probs good distos for tinkering around with to figure out how linux linuxes

i think you’d probably learn more by setting up a server tho. if you have somewhere you can run VMs or an old desktop (hopefully with low tdp cpu) set up fedora or ubuntu on it and install some shiz you might find useful at home like a file server, seedbox, plex server, ad-blocking dns, etc

having poo poo that is long running, deals with permissions, and for which you need to mildly monitor and log dive and futz around with systemd definitions is useful linux skillz imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

a functional netbsd system