Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Asuka being swole is great

Edit: Papaya is also cyclops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Some better pictures of a few of the villains (click the left one to see the Witch herself):

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1365501561141555200

The big bad is a stright up Mega Digimon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Edit: Papaya is also cyclops!

Just like Cure Lovely from HaCha. I love this series already.

Also seems like the video for the OP got taken down, anybody have a backup?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also thanks to someone hacking the toys we have a name for our fifth member: Cure LaMer (french for “the sea”)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xkh0Jrgw7II

Laura’s full name is Laura Apollodoros Hyginus LaMer, just saying.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge has begun and in my opinion that was a great premiere. Manatsu is a wonderful lead and her dynamic with Laura is a lot of fun. I like how Laura is sort of sarcastic about the whole thing.

The setting is colorful and the animation is vibrant. The OP is definitely better than the ED but the whole package is great. Looking forward to more of this and seeing the subbed version in a few hours.

Also Manatsu seems to have just the right level of energy to be fun without being annoying and Laura’s great too.

I also like that they seem to be taking their time and not immediately introducing the next Cure in the following episode (which I believe only HeartCatch, DokiDoki, and Healin Good have done in the past if I remember right).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 28, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So Laura is a super villain

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

She does seem to be doing this for personal gain at the moment and is literally using the Precure as a stepping stone to become queen. So in a sense, yeah (she even refers to humans as “sacrificial pawns”)

Obviously this will change later but an ally character with an inherently selfish motive is kind of a first for this series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
making up for past regina/ace mistakes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nodosaur posted:

She's Namor if Namor was a pre-teen girl who was going to become a Precure, someday

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laura is great and she and Manatsu make a perfect couple.

Also laugh that transformation item is just a palette swapped Kira Kira compact

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s some subbed versions of the OP and ED songs:

OP: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4opWvITMURI

ED: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Co7AfqPjxlo

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 28, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This being an incredibly goofy season definitely feels like a corona thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

This being an incredibly goofy season definitely feels like a corona thing.

I mean it makes sense, after the bad earthquake that hit Japan during Suite we wound up getting the much more lighthearted Smile the following year as a result. Honestly, I don’t mind a slightly goofier season this time around all things considered.

Also minor gripe but “Witch of Delays” is kind of an awkward way to translate the Big Bad’s name, “Apathy” or “Procrastination” probably would have worked better in my opinion.

She does at least seem like she could probably be threatening if she actually gave a drat about anything though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 28, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing from the mask she probably isn't the main villain of the season

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I always wondered how far in advance they planned each season. Like there were theories about what a school play in one season would be would end up being a hint towards next season or something? Or lyrics in the EDs? Super like tangential and probably a coincidence, but I always thought the idea was interesting.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a toy anime so they probably have to lock visuals down fairly far in advance to make sure new toys are on the shelves for kids

Now story? That sometimes can go through changes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently Chongire the Crab guy is a chef. So the villains are the Witch's Butler, Chef, Doctor, and maid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

True, it’s possible she’s a mermaid or something being controlled by the mask on her face (she released a bunch of power when she first woke up before immediately going back to sleep), so it’s possible there’s someone else working behind the scenes here. We’ll see I suppose.

I do sort of hope there’s at least a Joker-esque villain that gets introduced later as so far while they seem entertaining I can’t really take any of these guys seriously as villains at the moment. Either way, I’m still curious to see where things go.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 28, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That was a really good first episode, and it makes me wonder if they didn't miss a trick by bringing in Aoi Yuki a season too early.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Why is that. We have had several main villains that wear masks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why is that. We have had several main villains that wear masks.

Mostly because it seemed to create an intense surge of power that appeared painful to her when she woke up, at which point she immediately went back to sleep.

Either way, like I said it might be nice if we got a Joker/Kawarino style character later that was a bit more menacing.

Also given the attention Sango seems to be getting in both this episode and the following one I’m going to hazard a guess that Coral will be the second Cure to appear in this series (and I just noticed that Kururun was floating beside the queen during Laura’s introduction)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 28, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Mostly because it seemed to create an intense surge of power that appeared painful to her when she woke up, at which point she immediately went back to sleep.

I thought she was just giving off power cause she was pissed, then because of her laziness she went back to sleep to deal with it later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought she was just giving off power cause she was pissed, then because of her laziness she went back to sleep to deal with it later.

Yeah, that could also be the case

That aside so far this series looks like the second coming of Smile (if not even goofier) and personally I’m all for it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did Manatsu wind up getting smacked upside the head by something in this episode like most Lead Cures are wont to do?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Manatsu wind up getting smacked upside the head by something in this episode like most Lead Cures are wont to do?

Yep, her suitcase in her very first scene.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Yep, her suitcase in her very first scene.

Ah right (though it wasn’t a fairy this time at any rate)

Speaking of fairies I’m curious how Kururun winds up with the Cures since by her brief appearance in this episode it seems like she’s the Queen’s pet (I’m guessing either she’s sent to keep an eye on Laura or she just happens to wander out into the human world somehow)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My current theory regarding the Witch is that either the mask is controlling her somehow and she’s not the real villain (it released a lot of power when she first woke up) or she just really is that lazy and the Motivation Power her minions are collecting is being given to her.

Either way I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually get a Joker/Kawarino style character that’s a bit more threatening later on.

Also in some versions of the Little Mermaid story the sea witch is the sister of the ruler of said mermaid’s kingdom that was banished. I wonder if the same winds up being true here.

I’m also curious if other aspects of the story wind up coming into play as well (like Laura eventually tries to make a deal with the witch that ultimately winds up backfiring or something)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I like the funny little theory that "The Butler Did It".

Because it's just the sort of silly turn this should take.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I like the funny little theory that "The Butler Did It".

Because it's just the sort of silly turn this should take.

I hadn’t even thought of that. Yeah, Seahorse Butler being the real villain would be hilarious actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Miracle Leap was actually surprisingly good. Fun gimmick, decent villain, Nodoka got some good development. As far as precure crossover movies go it's way above the standard most of them are at, it's a pretty decent shonen movie. Only real complaint is it's very Nodoka-centric, even Chiyu and Hinata don't get much to do, but it feels more like an actual movie for having that focus so I don't mind it.

https://s1.webmshare.com/yjOE6.webm

and this was rad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it was kind of the Nodoka Movie as you mentioned and I would have liked it if the actual crossover aspect of the movie was handled a bit better (especially since this is likely going to be both Star Twinkle and Hugtto’s last hurrah for a good while).

Still a decent film in terms of story though (and the little cameo by Urara and Hibiki’s mom at the beginning was a nice touch as well).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 02: There was a lot to like in episode 2. No appearance from Minori and Asuka, but Sango established herself pretty well as a main character. We also met her mom. However, Laura refused to stay in her Bugvisor and kept almost getting discovered. I love that their school is shaped like a boat, that’s some dedication to theming.

The action was fun, but I'm just about ready for the team to have another new member and shake things up. Also, Laura said "Mermaids can't become Precure." which is some interesting foreshadowing to be dropping this early in the show's run.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laura and Manatsu have big time dating energy already its great.

Also Laura is a big time gremlin and also impeccable standards for judging Precure

Edit: Just finished Miracle Leap and it's one of the better All Stars movie thanks to the focus. Helped it had some great fights with the final fight being great. Though part of me wishes we got more of the Star Twinkle girls comfy camping

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another great episode, Sango is adorable and we got some extra insight into Laura’s personality (along with some rather blatant foreshadowing regarding our upcoming fifth member). I kind of hope they start going into the story behind the villains pretty soon though.

Also interesting thing of note: Seahorse Butler is the only member of the group so far that actually seems, well, motivated at all (that coupled with the fact that he’s the only one aside from the Witch of Procrastination herself not shown fighting in the OP makes me think my joke about him being the real villain might not actually be that far fetched. We’ll see I suppose)

I’m curious when Kururun is going to show up though since we’ve got titles for 6 episodes now and aside from a brief cameo in the premiere she hasn’t been seen or mentioned outside of the opening.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I’m curious when Kururun is going to show up though since we’ve got titles for 6 episodes now and aside from a brief cameo in the premiere she hasn’t been seen or mentioned outside of the opening.

It wouldn't surprise me if seal fairy doesn't show up until the crew get their first group finisher. And I don't actually mind that because the role that's usually filled by the main mascot is being filled by Laura and she's great. Frankly that makes me wonder if Kururun is actually going to be very important to the show, I could see her being in a supporting role out of obligation to the franchise with Laura continuing to be the important focal nonhuman character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if seal fairy doesn't show up until the crew get their first group finisher. And I don't actually mind that because the role that's usually filled by the main mascot is being filled by Laura and she's great. Frankly that makes me wonder if Kururun is actually going to be very important to the show, I could see her being in a supporting role out of obligation to the franchise with Laura continuing to be the important focal nonhuman character.

She barely even appears in the OP either so you might be on to something there. She’s technically the fairy of the series but as mentioned Laura has already taken over most of the usual duties you’d expect out of one.

Also I posted this before but we apparently have a name for our fifth Cure already:

Larryb posted:

Also thanks to someone hacking the toys we have a name for our fifth member: Cure LaMer (french for “the sea”)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xkh0Jrgw7II

Laura’s full name is Laura Apollodoros Hyginus LaMer, just saying (if you recall, Ruru’s last name was also her Cure name).

To add to this, Manatsu’s the one doing the introduction for the toy so we don’t know what #5 sounds like yet and there was the rather blatant bit of foreshadowing with the whole “Mermaids can’t be Precure” line from the recent episode.

It’s possible they could wind up pulling a Cure Ace on us but for the moment I’m about 95% sure it’s going to be Laura.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I would hope Toei would have learned there lesson, you never want to go full Cure Ace.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You'd be hard pressed to look up anything about Tropical Rouge without seeing Laura, you couldn't really say the same for Regina.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

You'd be hard pressed to look up anything about Tropical Rouge without seeing Laura, you couldn't really say the same for Regina.

Yeah, she literally has as much presence in the marketing as the Cures themselves do. Meanwhile I don’t remember if Regina got any merchandise at all, so I don’t think we have much to worry about in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We got the Ace leaks around the same time we usually did for Doki and the design looks enough like Regina that people were 100% sure she was Ace. And she was popular with kids too, especially given her arc being really good and mostly finished by the end of the second cour (With her sacrificing herself to save Mana and Mana going nope, gonna save us both being a legit great Precure moment). So just by the way the show was going and the look of merchandise everyone was 100% sure she was gonna be Ace and whelp...Toei pulled a swerve and it blew up in their face.

So if they pull it with Laura it'd probably be even worse cause mentioning Mermaids can't be Cure's, having her be a gremlin and having her be at the start clearly hints that her arc is that she learns to be a better person and becomes a Cure (Though hopefully still a gremlin in ways much like Biburi)