Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

It would have been a decent fit. I'm thinking of the bit in MoS where he gives himself up to the military and is trying to be nice to them while they're putting cuffs on him and scheming to try and tranquilise him. The bit where Batman beats up Superman because he's worried he might turn violent would have an uncomfortable vibe tho

I don't mind the occasional uncomfortable vibe. I will say that Zod should still be played by Michael Shannon because Michael Shannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ugh please don’t do Zod again. Do Braniac finally for god’s sake

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Only thing that stopped Star Wars was Covid.

Disney was ready to have a new movie roll out this year or next I believe but it got delayed.

Like, remember, just because people have lashed out at them doesn't mean Disney cares even a slightest bit. Each of the main three have all made a billion+ dollars.

No, Disney announced they were taking time off from the movies even covid, although even before TROS came out. Solo was really the turning point, but I also think the relative responses to TROS and The Mandalorian solidified their decision to hold off from movies in favor of the fifty or so new streaming shows they've announced since.

Also worth noting is while TROS did not underperform, it achieved the absolute lowest end of what its predicted range, and not only did far worse than Force Awakens and Last Jedi, it also barely surpassed Rogue One. And obviously to studios, even if you make a profit, if you don't make enough of a profit as they think you should make, that's a failure.

I will say the weirdest box office thing I've seen in Star Wars fandom are the people who claim that Solo actually wasn't a giant flop and that it really was a true revenue hit. Real brand defenders.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

No, Disney announced they were taking time off from the movies even covid, although even before TROS came out. Solo was really the turning point, but I also think the relative responses to TROS and The Mandalorian solidified their decision to hold off from movies in favor of the fifty or so new streaming shows they've announced since.

Also worth noting is while TROS did not underperform, it achieved the absolute lowest end of what its predicted range, and not only did far worse than Force Awakens and Last Jedi, it also barely surpassed Rogue One. And obviously to studios, even if you make a profit, if you don't make enough of a profit as they think you should make, that's a failure.

I will say the weirdest box office thing I've seen in Star Wars fandom are the people who claim that Solo actually wasn't a giant flop and that it really was a true revenue hit. Real brand defenders.

That might be how you remember it, but that's not what they actually said

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471403/disney-just-dropped-a-bunch-of-surprise-star-wars-dates

We were supposed to get a new movie next year. Its been delayed to 2023 purely due to covid

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

That might be how you remember it, but that's not what they actually said

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471403/disney-just-dropped-a-bunch-of-surprise-star-wars-dates

We were supposed to get a new movie next year. Its been delayed to 2023 purely due to covid

Yes, the article says that the plan was to go from five years of having a Star Wars movie every year to taking three years off (a "breather") before shifting to an every-other-year format ("a more reserved approach"). In other words, that even before covid (or TROS/Mandalorian) the decision had been made to take time off from Star Wars movies before releasing half as many movies per year going forward.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Only thing that stopped Star Wars was Covid.

I meant from being good. My ideal Star Wars is the cutscenes from The Old Republic MMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdWzZYyC0g

So good.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if this is just a game of telephone and the plan is to make a Steel movie.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chairman Capone posted:

Yes, the article says that the plan was to go from five years of having a Star Wars movie every year to taking three years off (a "breather") before shifting to an every-other-year format ("a more reserved approach"). In other words, that even before covid (or TROS/Mandalorian) the decision had been made to take time off from Star Wars movies before releasing half as many movies per year going forward.

Then what happened was The Mandalorian blew the gently caress up in popularity which made Disney green-light a pile of Star Wars streaming shows to be released until the movies start-up again. Which will be in 2023 at the earliest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

2house2fly posted:

It would have been a decent fit. I'm thinking of the bit in MoS where he gives himself up to the military and is trying to be nice to them while they're putting cuffs on him and scheming to try and tranquilise him. The bit where Batman beats up Superman because he's worried he might turn violent would have an uncomfortable vibe tho

Spider-Man actually played this up for laughs once

(This was in the early 00s, about 7 years before Miles Morales was introduced)

Jimbot posted:

I was happy to have forgotten about Obama Superman until now.

Marvel's editor-in-chief confirmed that Obama's election was the inspiration for creating Miles Morales, fwiw:

quote:

When we were planning 'Ultimatum,' we realized that we were standing at the brink of America electing its first African-American President and we acknowledged that maybe it was time to take a good look at one of our icons.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I don't know American law but why did they let him wear his mask in court?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Weirdly enough, Man of Steel & Batman v Superman with a black Superman probably would have made them better.

Well why don't you go star in an embarrassing rap musical about it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blood Boils posted:

I don't know American law but why did they let him wear his mask in court?
They used an Avengers scanning device to confirm his identity.

If you're wondering why the court allowed a so-called Avengers scanning device to confirm the identity of a litigant in such a high profile case (Spidey was suing Jameson for damages) ....... :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quite a few comic book universes actually have in-universe laws allowing superheroes to testify in their masked identities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Iirc, Spodey also misses out on poo poo like royalties, likeness usage fees, and merchandising because his identity is a secret.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

As a former professional wrestler, Spider-Man is simply respecting the code of the mask. Any punishment American law can mete out is nothing compared to shaming the memory of El Santo by betraying the mask.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc, Spodey also misses out on poo poo like royalties, likeness usage fees, and merchandising because his identity is a secret.

In that particular comic he's suing J Jonah Jameson for damages but realises partway through that even if he wins the case he can't transfer the money to Peter Parker at all, and he considers donating it to a charity instead.

In the end he settles out of court and makes Jameson dress up in a chicken costume and hand out "Spiderman is innocent" flyers on a street corner.

Many many years later he goes "Wait, I'm a scientific/engineering genius, why am I living in poverty?" and gets rich by running his own tech start-up corporation

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Blood Boils posted:

Nah nu trek is pretty good, beyond is the weakest but the other 2 are solid

I say this not as a sarcastic quip, but... there were three?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In that particular comic he's suing J Jonah Jameson for damages but realises partway through that even if he wins the case he can't transfer the money to Peter Parker at all, and he considers donating it to a charity instead.

In the end he settles out of court and makes Jameson dress up in a chicken costume and hand out "Spiderman is innocent" flyers on a street corner.

Many many years later he goes "Wait, I'm a scientific/engineering genius, why am I living in poverty?" and gets rich by running his own tech start-up corporation
No, Otto Octavius after stealing his body went 'Wait, he was a scientific/engineering genius, why is he living in poverty?' and created a tech start-up that Peter basically just shrugged and took over running when he took his body/life back.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Samovar posted:

If I remember right, the villain was a human supremacist played by Idris Elba, who got mutated by an alien device and wanted to destroy or subjugate the inferior alien races of the Federation

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/1365786071632646149

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

If I remember right, the villain was a human supremacist played by Idris Elba, who got mutated by an alien device and wanted to destroy or subjugate the inferior alien races of the Federation

It's a little more nuanced than that but you're essentially correct.

The movie's real sin was casting an actor on the level of Elba, then putting him under 20 pounds of foam latex and having 95 percent of his dialogue be gibberish. Same bullshit as Eccleston in Thor 2 and Oscar Isaac in X-Men Apocalypse.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm guessing this is Dr. Strange.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Twitter seems to be celebrating Amber Heard being fired from Aquaman 2 despite there being no evidence that this has actually happened.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Samovar posted:

Star Trek 2009
Star Trek into darkness 2013
Star Trek beyond 2016

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Twitter seems to be celebrating Amber Heard being fired from Aquaman 2 despite there being no evidence that this has actually happened.

I genuinely can’t decipher what happened with that whole situation because I’m only reminded of it when I see it trending on Twitter and it’s entirely populated by freaks who want to wear Johnny Depp’s skin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really liked 2009 Star Trek. I was really big into Mass Effect at the time (I mean, who wasn't) and it felt like a really similar vibe. Never ended up seeing the other two, and I think I'm better for it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I really liked 2009 Star Trek. I was really big into Mass Effect at the time (I mean, who wasn't) and it felt like a really similar vibe. Never ended up seeing the other two, and I think I'm better for it.

I thought it was rad too, and the complaints about lens flare just felt like people latching on to one harmless visual aspect because the internet decided it was bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes yes yes yes

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hated Trek 09, didn't like Into Darkness, found Beyond to be not necessary. JJ Abrams is a terrible and limited director, in vision, in skill, what he brings to the table, and has one speed for his movies. I look forward to frantic camera action as Superman runs really hard from left to right and then right to left on the screen to indicate heightened tension and sense of urgency and as is with everything he touches, disappointment.

But he's not directing I guess. God I hope whoever that director is manages to save the movie from him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

I hated Trek 09, didn't like Into Darkness, found Beyond to be not necessary. JJ Abrams is a terrible and limited director, in vision, in skill, what he brings to the table, and has one speed for his movies. I look forward to frantic camera action as Superman runs really hard from left to right and then right to left on the screen to indicate heightened tension and sense of urgency and as is with everything he touches, disappointment.

But he's not directing I guess. God I hope whoever that director is manages to save the movie from him.

Abrams didn't direct Beyond, and it is actually pretty fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

Abrams didn't direct Beyond, and it is actually pretty fun.

Yeah that was Justin Lin.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/davefranklin/status/1366077536678137862?s=21

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

Yeah that was Justin Lin.

Justin Lin directing Superman would be cool.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Yes, I think it would be a better situation indeed.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

teagone posted:

Now I think he has to do it (though really a black director has to do it).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

Now I think he has to do it (though really a black director has to do it).

I am tempted to put out Tyler Perry as a name.

I would say give it to Boots Riley but I feel like a studio wouldn't let him express fully a vision.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

I am tempted to put out Tyler Perry as a name.

The one thing that all previous Superman movies have lacked is slut shaming.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I don't

What is the point here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same and I’m caught up to wandavision.

Also it’s funny writers are like OMG they set this up instead of other writers finding ideas in the previous films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Somebody explain it to me because I am dumb and I do not get it. My friend is laughing at me.