Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Target Track Jacket posted:

I already own it on PS4 so the free upgrade to PS5 (if or when I can ever acquire one) is a sweet bonus to only pay for the one piece of side-content they're throwing in with Yuffie. I don't think the other guy featured in the video was in the original FF7 though.

somebody didnt play the weird ff7 games they made in the 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Been playing Battlefield 4 again the last couple of weeks and man it's so much more fun that BF1 (BF 5 wasn't fun so it's not comparable). Last night spent some time on a squad where the other guys were all in a clan and spent the whole of each game in a tightly packed circle all using mortars. Was weirdly hilarious watching them and was actually surprisingly cool because they were always camping in really useful places and somehow surviving.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

toiletbrush posted:

Been playing Battlefield 4 again the last couple of weeks and man it's so much more fun that BF1 (BF 5 wasn't fun so it's not comparable). Last night spent some time on a squad where the other guys were all in a clan and spent the whole of each game in a tightly packed circle all using mortars. Was weirdly hilarious watching them and was actually surprisingly cool because they were always camping in really useful places and somehow surviving.

all signs about BF6 are pointing to it being a "next-generation BF4" and I am extremely looking forward to it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I played poo poo loads of 4 and then completely stopped but I remember the mortars being *brilliant* before they adjusted the cool down so I hope 6 is just as wildly unbalanced at first

just endless *thunk* double kills all day while people raged at you lmao

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
with a ssd in bf4 you could load before anyone else so me and my friends would rush to destroy the skyscraper on one of the maps and it would crash half the server. I love :dice: bugs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nevergirls posted:

you're constantly on a knife's edge while managing like eight different limited resources and prioritizing demons in combat

yeah i don't want that from a game. i can just fire up SAP and do work if I want that.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was going to respond to that doom eternal post about how the combat loop isn't that complicated and i've played WoW but it seemed like a lot of effort

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

doom eternal good

outriders is dogshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

neither was the original

Huh? Subnautica 1 seemed pretty complete to me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i liked bf1 alot because of how different it was from bf4. i loved bf4 at launch, but toward the end it started to suck rear end because they patched the game to make planes and helicopters immortal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Battlefield Bad Company is the best traditional Doom-clone, because of the terrific sound design.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tell you what tho, Doom 64 is pretty solid. It's amaging what they did only six years after Tennis for Two.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Huh? Subnautica 1 seemed pretty complete to me
the above ground bits seemed really unfinished, and there were real bad performance issues in some of the deeper parts

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

outriders is dogshit
'Cover mechanics' are the worst thing to ever to happen to video games (except lootboxes)

it's what stops the modern Deus Ex games from being good

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sleepwalkers posted:

outriders is dogshit

was there a beta or something

toiletbrush posted:

'Cover mechanics' are the worst thing to ever to happen to video games (except lootboxes)

it's what stops the modern Deus Ex games from being good

actually it's extremely good

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
stealth is great, cover mechanics are terrible

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cover mechanics are good in turn based strategies and bad in action games

my roommate had the original gears of war and I remember flipping open the manual and reading a note from CliffyB about how he watched saving private ryan or something and had an epiphany about how people don't take cover in video games, and the cover mechanic in this game will be a revolutionary step forward, and he feels so privileged to have been smiled upon by heaven with the most important idea in the history of culture

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cover mechanics explained:

Is there a wall? If yes, high explosives. If no, incendiary rocket.

And that's how I won UFO Enemy Unknown.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

oh yeah the new deus ex games are terrible but that's not due to any cover mechanic. stealth mechanics are typically awful but id rather there be a button to hide instead of just standing bolt upright behind a corner and hoping the game doesn't see me

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

cover mechanics are good in turn based strategies and bad in action games

my roommate had the original gears of war and I remember flipping open the manual and reading a note from CliffyB about how he watched saving private ryan or something and had an epiphany about how people don't take cover in video games, and the cover mechanic in this game will be a revolutionary step forward, and he feels so privileged to have been smiled upon by heaven with the most important idea in the history of culture

gears of war is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gears of war is one of the worst games ive ever played. 3rd person shooters are trash

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Shaggar posted:

gears of war is one of the worst games ive ever played. 3rd person shooters are trash

shaggar was wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
3rd person shooters are a workaround for how terrible controllers are for aiming

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

sorry you couldn't manage "pull trigger, pull other trigger"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I just cannot handle the gears of war aesthetic. I love turn based strategies but I couldn't even get into gears tactics because the of all the grimdark square men and their angst over the mole people

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

actually i think you'll find these square men are filled with pathos and the story is a good take on the "hubris of the human race" while also carving your enemies up with a chainsaw gun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

sorry you couldn't manage "pull trigger, pull other trigger"

it sucks to know people have only used controllers and consoles and dont know any better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the batman games have the best stealth mechanics and, in a strange combination, also the best fighting mechanics.

Shaggar posted:

it sucks to know people have only used controllers and consoles and dont know any better

i use a mouse and keyboard for rts games and first person shooters with precision aiming, and all my flight sim gear for flying, but a gamepad is actually the superior controller for basically anything else. especially if the game was built for consoles first, as they all are these days.

like i played dishonored 1 with m+k and dishonored 2 with an xbone controller and the latter was definitely the correct way.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 27, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cat Face Joe posted:

gears of war is good

Gears Marines are canonically pedophiles

https://gearsofwar.fandom.com/wiki/Birthing_Creche

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
:whitewater:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

third person shooters are fine.

gears sucks rear end though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finally getting around to playing hotline miami 2 on psnow after bouncing off it years ago. it's fun but i always pick tony the tiger if given the chance

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What in the gently caress

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

oh yeah the new deus ex games are terrible but that's not due to any cover mechanic. stealth mechanics are typically awful but id rather there be a button to hide instead of just standing bolt upright behind a corner and hoping the game doesn't see me
IMHO cover mechanics are worse for this because you're constantly at the mercy of wether or not a dev remembered to tag a crate with 'provides cover', and because cover makes you invisible when you're blatantly visible and vice versa it ultimately ends up unintuitive.

You also tend to end up with dumb grid-like level design where everything is waist height and the level telegraphs the route you're supposed to take or where you're gonna get ambushed from or whatever. Compare the level design in DE:Manking Divided to something like Dishonoured 2 - one has level design that's about as fluid and natural as the first Tombraider games, and the other has natural, flowing, realistic architecture that lends itself to experimentation. That's not the designer's fault - its cover mechanics.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What in the gently caress

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what is your number one wished for game to show up on gog or w/e

mine is Sid Meyer’s SimGolf

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

no one lives forever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m continuing to play more and more rear end creed england.

i’m enjoying it more. wish the rpg element was deeper but oh well

i can see why people complain about pay to win, but tbh if you took the store away you wouldn’t be missing anything you’d just think the upgrade path is slow. i’m like 17 hours in and mostly wearing the same gear albeit upgraded that i got in the first couple hours. not that i mind, in some ways it seems better than a new weapon every hour.

with runes it reminds me of ff7 and so there’s less incentive to change coat or whatever anyway coz i just upgrade it so it has more rune slots.

the graphics, especially the lighting and effects are incredible

in greece the distance pop up was “avoided” thru the plants “growing” rather than popping in , but it did look odd

in this game the sky is always half cloudy so the landscape gets shadowed on and off by the clouds and it almost seems like the use the edge of the moving shadows to pop in plants and stuff. that’s probably wrong but regardless the sky effects are too notch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

what is your number one wished for game to show up on gog or w/e

mine is Sid Meyer’s SimGolf

lemmings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal