Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's amazing how much better this makes the theme.
https://twitter.com/Jumbalia23/status/1364777969814802432?s=09

It's probably mandated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
gently caress, you're totally right. It sets up the mood for how the soundtrack handles action scenes, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's still bad but it's definitely an improvement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's still bad but it's definitely an improvement.

I like it quite a bit and I'd want to hear a full arrangement (again, sans Go Go Power Rangers).

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's definitely still not a favourite, but there are elements in there I don't mind that it's like "this could have been a decent theme"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What the theme songs really need to learn from Zeo is that you give the unique part plenty of room to establish itself and then break into a Go Go chorus just before announcing the name of the season one last time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Everytime I hear the Zeo theme I think back to when it premiered and all the weekly build up. God it was perfect. The theme fit soooo well. Second favorite theme.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the guitar riff sounding like a revving engine at the start of Turbo, and then you get the melody once before even the "might engines roar" and then finally the go power rangers turbo. Though I think the tv version might have truncated that somewhat.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Right before the Zeo premier I got grounded from watching TV after bringing home a bad report card. I can't even begin to describe the torture I went through trying to ease drop on my younger brothers as they watched from the other room. To this day I still have never seen the first half of the show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
whoops

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's probably mandated
No, it still sounds like KidzBop got their hands on it

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

It's probably mandated

Wow, that's wild! It totally goes from 'trash' to 'weak' with that one change.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

this is so loving long and boring holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1365658913014620162?s=20

but then the actual meat of the show is, I think, pretty good, at least so far?

Red feels like maybe a bit of a shite actor, but maybe that's him doing a bit since he's an alien???
I can't believe they'd cast someone that wooden as their Red

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You haven’t seen Jaden or Troy.

Zayto is “wooden” as a point of character. He’s disciplined and serious compared to his teammates. That’s different from how those two were the character equivalent of drywall.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The part where the costume appears on them in outer space or some poo poo is neat and if I was in the position I was in during the 90s where I hadn't seen the next suits a year in advance, I'd be okay with them fullscreening each of those transformations for the first time like they used to.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nodosaur posted:

You haven’t seen Jaden or Troy.

Zayto is “wooden” as a point of character. He’s disciplined and serious compared to his teammates. That’s different from how those two were the character equivalent of drywall.

Y'know what, you're right. I had honestly forgotten how bad Jaden and Troy were

Maybe it stands out more to me here because everything else around Zayto is pretty good? While Samurai/Megaforce were just all around flat and boring?

Still, hoping it gets better or I fall into the groove

e: also, quibble with the CG morph-- given that it's all knight themed, I don't like how the helmets come around from the side of their faces rather than leaning into the theme and having the visor come down from the top

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The buildup was a bit too long but the actual morph sequence itsefl is amazing. Definitely way better than Beast Morphers' was. Though I'll agree it would have been better if the helmets had come in from the top and bottom instead of from the sides. Not only would it have looked like the visors of the knight helmets they're supposed to be, but it also would have evoked the imagery of the helmets 'biting down' on them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sockser posted:

Red feels like maybe a bit of a shite actor, but maybe that's him doing a bit since he's an alien???

I didn't even fully watch that season but Jaden was way, way worse from my recollection

But overall, the part where he looked back at the other rangers on some "alright, we're going to do this for real" probably could have had some better separate camera shots

And I felt the morphing sequence was fine up to that "link to the morphing grid" stuff where I feel like they could have skipped that; just skip to them slamming their keys into the morpher or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the Morph was pretty good for the first time. Should deffo be cut shorter in later morphs, but the full sequence is rad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For what it's worth, the source material's transformation is about 58 seconds long, so I think it's only "excessive" in so far as they didn't even include the entire team.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first and last transformation is always the longest, ya'll know this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To me, Zayto reads extremely cool and confident rather than wooden. He's serious but keeps giving these little smirks to his teammates like he's really happy to actually be talking to other people again.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, the Buzz Blast boss lady's robot is from Hartford Robotics, like the dude from Operation Overdrive

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Judge a first morph by what remains in the second.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Sockser posted:

Eh, having seen the full episode it works in context but I agree that's way too long to be regular. It's also a shame the helmets don't come in vertically, even though the rest of the stock footage is nice. I definitely think Russell Curry is playing a serious alien type, he's nowhere near as lifeless as Jayden or Troy were.

A fun bit is near the end where Zayto makes a PSA as the Red Fury Ranger. :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That morphing sequence is visually similar to the comics Omega Rangers, which also were given powers by the Morphin Masters

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So far this is not only a good season but probably better than its Sentai counterpart to boot. The fact that the monsters can’t (so far) be permanently destroyed is interesting as well.

Also I forget, is Ollie’s mom the first PR character smart enough to actually sort of recognize a Ranger’s voice as someone she knew?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Someone uploaded episode two on YouTube but cut out all the fight scenes, which kinda defeats the purpose. That being said I really really likes what I saw and I might actually have to start watching the show again if this keeps up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the pump action swords. I'm not sure why they have to pump them but I like it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I like the pump action swords. I'm not sure why they have to pump them but I like it

Gotta extract the juIce from the boost keys :v:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Larryb posted:

Also I forget, is Ollie’s mom the first PR character smart enough to actually sort of recognize a Ranger’s voice as someone she knew?

nope, I believe at least as far back as Lightspeed where Kelsey made friends with an astronaut and she recognized the voice over the radio when they were saving the crashing shuttle.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

That's how I feel with the lever Kamen Rider belts, there's something so satisfying when they spam-crank them once a season for a super base-form finisher.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mateo360 posted:

nope, I believe at least as far back as Lightspeed where Kelsey made friends with an astronaut and she recognized the voice over the radio when they were saving the crashing shuttle.

Oh yeah, forgot about that (though then again, that season didn’t have secret identities)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mateo360 posted:

Which was taken directly from the Sentai

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Which was taken directly from the Sentai

Only difference is that in the Sentai said astronaut wound up becoming one of the show’s major supporting characters

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Pookina1/status/1366929683233705988?s=19

https://twitter.com/Pookina1/status/1366930886852112387?s=19

Power Rangers showrunner. This guy rules

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"We're gonna toss your salad!"

Dang, TJ, okay

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Post changeover Turbo is pretty decent, having watched the five episodes after the handover so far. Passing the Torch is a pretty good story on its own, apart from the actual transfer feeling kind of abrupt and like something that could have been developed a smidge more. Though honestly there probably wasn't a whole extra episode in that either, really, it's just that the "hey, remember guys, this is your Ultimate Mission" comes out of nowhere in the last ten minutes

And then after that it feels like the show is willing to embrace the Sentai footage a bit more instead of using as little as possible the way it felt like at the start of the season, Bulk and Skull taking on and immediately failing at jobs is a better comedy b plot than the stuff when they were monkeys, it all just kind of works a bit better

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Today I noticed that the PR wiki's index of anti-hero characters hasn't seen a new TV ranger since RPM Black, and in fact the only character who isn't on a black or white morality spectrum for the past ten years was Heckyl.

Saban people really thought the fandom's love for Tommy was about wanting to see Jason David Frank until he's on Social Security, and not that people are interested in characters who are at least temporarily not wholesome role models or card-carrying villains. More than mediocre theme songs, desperately clinging to 25 year old ideas, etc I think this focus on starkly defined morality has really sunk the show to me. Magna Defender didn't even have a face and he's more complicated than most of the characters that do today.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nice. I hope the Warden solves some intense Woodland Crimes