Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
OK college baseball is back for what promises to be an intensely weird season, first because of the ongoing COVID case stuff that's going to knock out series and have teams scrambling to find opponents, and second because the short MLB draft meant a lot of seniors and redshirt juniors and first years playing this year instead of signing contracts and playing in the low minors. Should make for a great CWS, assuming we get there!

Anyway, below is the composite preseason poll, which takes most of the major ones into account. There's already going to be a shakeup next week, since Miami took two off Florida this weekend. In general, the SEC is even more loaded than usual; the ACC lacks a real elite team except maybe Louisville, but every single team in the league has a real shot at making a regional.

code:
1	Florida (16-1)	
2	UCLA (13-2)	
3	Texas Tech (16-3)	
4	Vanderbilt (13-5)	
5	Ole Miss (16-1)	
6	Louisville (13-4)	
7	Mississippi State (12-4)	
8	LSU (12-5)	
9	Miami (Fla.) (12-4)	
10	Virginia (14-4)	
11	UCSB (13-2)	
12	Arkansas (11-5)	
13	Texas (14-3)	
14	NC State (14-3)	
15	TCU (11-4)	
16	Arizona (10-5)	
17	Florida State (12-5)	
18	East Carolina (13-4)	
19	Georgia Tech (11-5)	
20	South Carolina (12-4)	
The only really important resource is the scoreboard at D1Baseball, which is the most reliable one around. Oh and there's a lot of random games that pop up on the various ESPN and Fox regional feeds, though fewer than there used to be.

Adding in here:

Popete posted:

If anyone is looking to get into following college baseball I highly recommend checking out Wheels Youtube Channel they do a great job editing games down to 10-15 minutes and they tend to feature exciting games.

Usually I'd encourage people to go look up a game near you, but maybe don't do that just yet!

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
pulling over from MLB thread:

Popete posted:

College baseball started today and we got some monster dingers, this pitchers reaction is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRvzsoitv8&t=531s

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is looking to get into following college baseball I highly recommend checking out Wheels Youtube Channel they do a great job editing games down to 10-15 minutes and they tend to feature exciting games.

Edit: Like that link elentar posted!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UF’s back to back championship campaign off to a slow start!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kumar Rocker looking dominant in his outing today. 8 strikeouts before being pulled in the 5th after walking 3 straight batters, didn't give up any runs though and only 1 hit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This pitcher pointing up to the ball like it's a routine fly out lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTPWW5SLv80&t=216s

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The wildest first weekend in years, at least for rankings turnover: the composite top 3 are all going to drop (Florida losing series to Miami, UCLA losing series to San Francisco, Texas Tech having a disastrous 0-3 weekend at the State Farm Challenge).

In general the State Farm thing was very bad for top 10 Texas teams, with Texas Tech, Texas, and TCU going a combined 1-8. The flip side was the SEC teams doing ominously well: Ole Miss will probably be the new #1 after sweeping the Texas teams, and Arkansas likely #2 after doing the same thing, unless the voters move Miami up for the Florida win. Mississippi State will also probably be top 5 after going 2-1.

The other team to drop heavily since the preseason polls is West Virginia, which split a four-game series against Georgia State but more importantly lost a weekend starter and their shortstop for the season—and probably with it any chance at Omaha. Tough times early for the Big 12.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

UF will probably put it together and Miami is actually really good for the first time in awhile.

Disappointing start though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Georgia State beat Vanderbilt 4-2 was a pretty wild game. Well played defensively by Georgia.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

yesterday was another wild day, in addition to Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, Louisville, and Miami all lost to unranked teams—only Arkansas survived out of the top 6.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

MSU battled back after dropping G1 to Tulane's nasty ace with back-to-back walk-off wins. Game 2 ended with a walk-off grand slam after Tulane kinda leaves their closer hanging out to dry. Game 3 ended with Tulane taking the lead in the top of the 9th only for us to come right back and walk it off again. My heart can't take a whole season of this.

Game 2 salami

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1365810201840918529?s=20

Slow-mo bat drop

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1365855919351861249?s=20

And Tanner Allen breaking his like 0 for 4 slump on the day with the walk-off

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1366146817600020481?s=20

elentar posted:

yesterday was another wild day, in addition to Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss State, Louisville, and Miami all lost to unranked teams—only Arkansas survived out of the top 6.

This is guaranteed to be a weird season. Probably more parity amongst the different leagues this year thanks to the shortened MLB draft and extra COVID eligibility. Lots of guys still in school who would probably be in the minors right now in a normal year.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 1, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Was that first walkoff a GS? Scoreboard showed runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Either way...loving bomb.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Was that first walkoff a GS? Scoreboard showed runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Either way...loving bomb.

Yeah, they had the scoreboard wrong. The guy on first had just gotten walked (think it was intentional too, can’t remember) and Hancock pulled the trigger on the first pitch.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We took the series 2-1 against a solid Kent State team today and threw a combined no-hitter (with a few nice defensive plays to preserve it including this one for the last out https://streamable.com/zqhzbk ). I'm liking this squad a lot this year!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Boston College came back to win against Auburn in extra innings after being down 8 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, what a crazy game.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Popete posted:

Boston College came back to win against Auburn in extra innings after being down 8 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, what a crazy game.

Just absurd lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ja6A2tVsuw

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

PitchingNinja guy was tweeting Kumar Rocker clips all weekend, I guess he had a really dominant game

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368293947043381252

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368311160576090114

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

God this is loving filthy rockstar poo poo. Electric.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kumar is practically MLB ready and he's just dominating at the college level.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

PitchingNinja guy was tweeting Kumar Rocker clips all weekend, I guess he had a really dominant game

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368293947043381252

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1368311160576090114

It’s not fair that they have Leiter too

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hell yeah, happy to see this thread exists. Cocks are playing very well so far (10-0 and beat Clemson!) and Wes Clarke is an absolutely insane dinger machine at the moment. Big road test this week with a trip to Texas.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 10, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Hell yeah, happy to see this thread exists. Cocks are playing very well so far (10-0 and beat Clemson!) and Wes Clarke is an absolutely insane dinger machine at the moment. Big road test this week with a trip to Texas.

I'm gonna try to moonwalk up to Cola for the UF series at the end of the month if I can scrape up some tickets.

Vaccinated baseball baybee :toot:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Miserable season for NC State continues, starting 1-5 in the ACC and now getting a COVID pause that cancels a very winnable series against Duke.

hoping to get to some UVA games now that I'm back in Charlottesville, but the state and system are dragging their heels so much that I still can't schedule an appointment despite being an asthmatic required to teach in person

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So it turns out we're a pretty good pitching squad. Some highlights:

- 2.25 team ERA striking out 219 of 515 batters faced. That's close to half.
- It's not obvious from the pic, but we've got probably 5 or 6 guys that could be legit SEC weekend starters. We've just gotta pick 3 before next weekend.
- Landon Sims looks to be settling in as our likely closer. He's faced 42 batters and struck out 30 of them

e: nvm no pic

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Friday night's Southern Miss v. Louisiana Lafayette got lit.

https://twitter.com/SECbaseball/status/1370771032143958017?s=20

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

Friday night's Southern Miss v. Louisiana Lafayette got lit.

https://twitter.com/SECbaseball/status/1370771032143958017?s=20

Did I see that right? 74 pitches by the 2nd inning? That's a tough night drat lmao

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Blown out by a 500 Seminole squad smh

Aren’t going to defend our 2020 title that way!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out Kumar Rocker might be human after all, gave up 2 runs today. His first of the season.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Popete posted:

So it turns out Kumar Rocker might be human after all, gave up 2 runs today. His first of the season.

Vandy's "#2" guy Leiter comes out the next day and throws a CG no-hitter. Unreal. I think he was also just one walk from throwing a perfect game (he walked the first batter he faced of the game).

In other news, we took the series at LSU yesterday. Our pitching staff has a 0.56 ERA over our last 81 innings pitched. No one has better starters than Vandy, but we might have a better overall staff cause our bullpen is ridiculous.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vanderbilts bullpen gets like 4 innings combined over an entire weekend.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Been a wild season all over, hope it doesn’t get called off. https://twitter.com/umichbaseball/status/1373985311143964672?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vanderbilt is just so stacked. Leiter and Kumar are dueling it out for #1 draft pick right now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I should be more bummed that UF is not very good at the moment but honestly this is a year where we are all just hoping for fourth behind Arky, Vandy and Miss St.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The last four or five series that Arkansas and Miss State have had were home sweeps so I wasn’t expecting much out of this weekend but by God the Hogs went to Starkville and took all 3 games. Part of me thinks “Going to #3 and sweeping them should make us #1!” But then I remember the ridiculous pitching Vandy has and lol I don’t think they will lose a series this season

I was expecting kind of a down year for Arkansas tbh and so I’m waiting for things to fall apart, but I’m absolutely thrilled with this start

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/joncgoodwin/status/1376987319656460292?s=20

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

The last four or five series that Arkansas and Miss State have had were home sweeps so I wasn’t expecting much out of this weekend but by God the Hogs went to Starkville and took all 3 games. Part of me thinks “Going to #3 and sweeping them should make us #1!” But then I remember the ridiculous pitching Vandy has and lol I don’t think they will lose a series this season

I was expecting kind of a down year for Arkansas tbh and so I’m waiting for things to fall apart, but I’m absolutely thrilled with this start

That was a tough one to watch for me. Our pitching has been pretty much our only bright spot this season and y’all hit what, 9? 10? homers on the weekend? Y’all are on another level compared to us for sure. This squad still has the pieces to make some noise in the post season, though. Prob won’t be able to stay in the hunt for a National seed, though.

Also, I didn’t see every homer y’all hit, but good lord every one I saw was a no-doubter. Arky has some fuckin pop in their lineup

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 30, 2021

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gotta say I'm extremely pleased and surprised we swept Florida after how we looked in the Vandy series. Then again, we avoided a sweep against them and they're ludicrously talented, so it was probably premature of me to kinda write us off. Still, good stuff on display against a top-5 Gators squad.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Speaking of Vandy, they got absolutely throttled by Georgia last night 14-2. I think Georgia hit 7 HRs in the game? Rocker gave up 2 or 3 I think. Uncharacteristic game for him, but he'll bounce back for sure. Will be interesting to see how Leiter does today.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Speaking of Vandy, they got absolutely throttled by Georgia last night 14-2. I think Georgia hit 7 HRs in the game? Rocker gave up 2 or 3 I think. Uncharacteristic game for him, but he'll bounce back for sure. Will be interesting to see how Leiter does today.

Thought I was basically immediately have to eat my words about Vandy not losing a series lol. UGA choked away game 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

chaoslord posted:

Thought I was basically immediately have to eat my words about Vandy not losing a series lol. UGA choked away game 2

Did have to eat my words. GEORGIA of all teams won a series against Vandy at Vandy. Wow.

Well, that means tomorrow’s Arkansas/Ole Miss game probably determines who will be #1 in the country. I expect this is the point where the wheels will start to fall off for Arkansas. Would love to be wrong, though.