Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Rolo posted:

-I wish more people played.

So do they...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Armored Core is a fighting game without the obvious punchingness. You wanna see a new Armored Core? What you're asking for is a highly technical fighter along the lines of an arcsys but with the customization and insanity of an RPG. I'm not surprised FROM has kinda backburnered it, especially after the reception of V and Verdict Day. It's an odd genre combo to be sure, and needs to be excellent at both, which, honestly, I'm not sure any dev I know about right now is good at.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think maybe in a universe where Zone of the Enders didn't exist then the idea of a eurojank style menu-driven slow and plodding mech suit game could be exciting and cool but Jehuty is seriously one of the coolest robots ever and the crazy action-setpiece fights and the totally mind-bending 3-dimensional dogfighting with both melee and ranged combat... I mean seriously is there any doubt in your mind that the frames from ZOE wouldn't dumpster any Gundam, Voltron, Megazord, just based on sheer overwhelming action?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Much as I love Jehuty, gonna have to give the nod here to my boy Domon. He's too stupid to be impressed by all that pizazz.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Chinook posted:

So do they...

I never was a fan of scalpers but hindering a first time Souls experience is unforgivable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I think maybe in a universe where Zone of the Enders didn't exist then the idea of a eurojank style menu-driven slow and plodding mech suit game could be exciting and cool but Jehuty is seriously one of the coolest robots ever and the crazy action-setpiece fights and the totally mind-bending 3-dimensional dogfighting with both melee and ranged combat... I mean seriously is there any doubt in your mind that the frames from ZOE wouldn't dumpster any Gundam, Voltron, Megazord, just based on sheer overwhelming action?

To be fair the later AC games like FA were far from plodding. I don't think they are good but they aren't slow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

El Diablo Bob O posted:

So, here’s my unnecessary two cents on the FF7R Standard issue by using my Persona 5 experience.

I’m playing P5 and thoroughly enjoying it, having just stolen the first macguffin. Today I decide to take a look at the general games forum and low and behold I come across a discussion about free standard vs. paid for, full feature games.

“Ha, ha” I chuckle to myself. “This is pretty hosed! It’s a good thing I don’t care about FF7R!”

I continue to read as some information I saw earlier about Persona kept rolling around in my head. Curious, I do some digging and find out that P5 has a “Royal” version with a ton of extra poo poo that can’t be save transferred because it adds so much! Nowhere on the game’s page says that the PSN Free version is the lesser, or that there even is a royal version. It certainly explains why there is a $60 DLC, but is it even the royal stuff?

I really like this game and it is quite disappointing to have to start over because of my ignorance over game versions. Maybe I’m not missing much with the standard version but I’m enjoying it enough to want it all.

I am aware that corpos gotta’ corp (:capitalism: ) but even if it’s for a game they are giving to you for “free” I feel that it’s still disingenuous and it set a shady precedence for what’s happening right now with FF7R.

Just to clarify, Royal isn’t dlc, it’s a new version of the game. There’s no upgrade path between the two, it’s “buy the new game or don’t”. The fat stack of DLC is all just cosmetic poo poo and extra personas.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m sorry for the confusion above, but I wasn’t trolling about a dark souls 3 PS5 remaster. The game, like I’ve said multiple times, is undeniably beautiful in its current state. And yes it plays at 60fps and has near instant load times already. But, looking at places like the smoldering lake and boreal valley city, the insane detail of the undead village.. hell basically everywhere, I just imagine how much more amazing it would look with 4k textures, an update ray tracing/global illumination lighting engine, and updated character/enemy and boss models. After playing the Demon Souls remaster.. it’s hard not to imagine what an amazing experience dark souls 3 would be with that level of update. And also, the haptic feedback on the ps5 controller in demon souls was one of the coolest little bits to playing that game. Firing off spells and the like was just awesome. Bringing all that to dark souls 3 would be rad as hell!

So yeah all of you are just fine in saying, “nobody is asking for this, the game is already up to date”. But it’s not coming from a place of thinking the game looks bad or outdated in its current state. That’s a poor assumption. I brought up the remaster because of the reasons above, making a dark souls 3 remaster with all the same accoutrements of the demon souls remaster would really heighten the already beautiful experience. It would also probably snag a lot of newcomers. The whole From Software soulsborne catalogue is really timeless. So expending resources every so often to bring them forward to utilize the perks of current gen would not be a waste of effort one bit.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Man is anyone else having issues syncing their trophies? I started playing Control about a week or so ago (holy poo poo how did I sleep on this one? It is entirely my jam) and ever since then trophies just will not sync. It gives me error NP-103374-8 but as far as I can tell that's just a generic code. Googling just showed some reddit posts having the same issue with Persona Strikers but then it magically starts working after a day or two. This has persisted for me through multiple complete reboots, logging in and out of my account, disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet, playing a different game, and swapping users. It's weird though because on the PlayStation app and my boyfriends account it shows the proper trophies, so I think it is syncing? I dunno it's odd.

Anyone else having the issue and know how to fix it though?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had the same problem with GOW 2018

lmao wut

Like it’s literally about Norse mythology, dramatic gods, and mythical poo poo

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
When From made the Another Century's Episode series I was so pumped to have an armored core game but with actual anime robots and all made to scale too. The first one was pretty rough but the heart was there. The second and third games were pure joy as being better in every way from the last. Then something happened. The psp one was a giant piece of poo poo and the ps3 one was no joke one of the worst games I have ever played. Nail in the coffin, we are ever getting anything as awesome as those again.

Like watch these intros and tell me it doesn't make you hype as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0XpnyKKLMU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lmao wut

Like it’s literally about Norse mythology, dramatic gods, and mythical poo poo

No it’s a melodrama about a kid and his father

That’s like saying FF7 is about a cyperpunk like dystopia

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

No it’s a melodrama about a kid and his father

That’s like saying FF7 is about a cyperpunk like dystopia

it can be two things

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Casnorf posted:

it can be two things

Not online it can't

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To be fair, Dad of War is about Norse mythology in the same way that the old God of War games were about Greek mythology, which is to say basically not really at all. It's just an aesthetic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cardiovorax posted:

To be fair, Dad of War is about Norse mythology in the same way that the old God of War games were about Greek mythology, which is to say basically not really at all. It's just an aesthetic.

No.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought it actually handled Norse mythology better than most media I’ve seen. I was genuinely impressed with it. It certainly took its own approach to it all but I think that only freed the game up to explore the mythology without having to keep a checklist for pure accuracy tying it down.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dad of War is about slowly climbing up a cliff to hide load times

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah im not replaying on ps5 cause i hate that. Hope they remove all the slow walk parts of ff7 too but they probably wont

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I thought it actually handled Norse mythology better than most media I’ve seen. I was genuinely impressed with it. It certainly took its own approach to it all but I think that only freed the game up to explore the mythology without having to keep a checklist for pure accuracy tying it down.
I guess to me it's kinda like Assassin's Creed Odyssey: it could've really been set anywhere, because it has so little to do with the "real" mythology and history that you could reskin it completely just by switching out the name and the color palette.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Casnorf posted:

it can be two things

Not really that’s the setting which is it’s own thing.I know your being contrarian but this is pretty half assed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

Absolutely wrong, homie. The degree to which Kratos is woven into and out of all the popular Greek myths and stories to make it seem like he is at the epicenter of this gargantuan odyssey is absolutely absurd, and one of the things that I loved about Dad of War is that there are still elements of that mythical Spartan legend here Midgard, but Dad of War basically introduces the pantheon as a cast of antagonists and then gives us a very bare bones history lesson so we know what every race is called.

It’s compounded by the fact that most western schools, at least in the US, have pretty robust Greek myth units in public school, so even if you’re not into the lore at all concepts like Zeus and Hercules and Medusah are things we all grew up learning about in school, whereas Norse mythology has really never gone super mainstream, even when it’s on TV or magic cards or video games, because those myths are much more abstract and not as easy to convey as simply, in part because they lack the foundation that Greek myths are given by our cultures.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess to me it's kinda like Assassin's Creed Odyssey: it could've really been set anywhere, because it has so little to do with the "real" mythology and history that you could reskin it completely just by switching out the name and the color palette.

No, the story is pretty inexorably tied to Norse myth and the events depicted in the prose eddas. Who Atreus is, why Baldur is looking for Kratos' family, all the supporting characters and their motivations, it's not a simple pallette swap at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Why would I play god of war when I could watch Thor (2011), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Loki (2021) and Thor: Love and Thunder (2022) instead.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thor? Well, it hurts

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Thor? More like Bore!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really that’s the setting which is it’s own thing.I know your being contrarian but this is pretty half assed

If u ainted knowin which is who among yggdrasil nidhogg an ratatoskr and why they are important to each other much less to heimdall and the ones u heard of mebbe try just bein thunk a fool instead of proving it chum

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

niflheim more like mannheim amirite

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

just steamroller that joke

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Casnorf posting as both Austin Powers Zamboni and Austin Powers Security Guard

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i can be two things!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

For the record I saw Mannheim Steamroller live at the first Spectrum before it got torn down.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man is anyone else having issues syncing their trophies? I started playing Control about a week or so ago (holy poo poo how did I sleep on this one? It is entirely my jam) and ever since then trophies just will not sync. It gives me error NP-103374-8 but as far as I can tell that's just a generic code. Googling just showed some reddit posts having the same issue with Persona Strikers but then it magically starts working after a day or two. This has persisted for me through multiple complete reboots, logging in and out of my account, disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet, playing a different game, and swapping users. It's weird though because on the PlayStation app and my boyfriends account it shows the proper trophies, so I think it is syncing? I dunno it's odd.

Well I tried updating the console (it said there was an update when I booted in safe mode, but I think I already had it installed), tried rebuilding the database, swapping from my wifi to a hotspot, and deleting the one game I downloaded around when I noticed the issue pooping up. I think my next step is a factory reset, but I've heard people on reddit saying that that might delete my trophies that haven't synced yet.

Anyone have any other ideas before I go nuclear?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Finished the Fenyx plat. I enjoyed the time sink more or less but drat it was a slog. I can't believe how combat never felt challenging for the entire game, and how redundant the enemies felt and became over time. There was one fight the entire game that was hard, and it was due to the enemy having a huge arena to teleport around in and unique, annoying, attacks. I'd give it a 6/10 at best I think.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

y’all defended Dad of War better than I could have, ty ty

I forgot a lot of people couldn’t handle the short bit when Atreus is all ornery & full of angst and prob threw in the towel there

But lol I couldn’t think of a better woven portrayal of GOW & Norse poo poo. I mean, you can just ride around in a boat for hours listening to a severed head telling ya Norse stories

Looking like I might have to do a PS5 play through.

I like history & was looking forward to getting around to Odyssey tho :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all defended Dad of War better than I could have, ty ty

I forgot a lot of people couldn’t handle the short bit when Atreus is all ornery & full of angst and prob threw in the towel there

But lol I couldn’t think of a better woven portrayal of GOW & Norse poo poo. I mean, you can just ride around in a boat for hours listening to a severed head telling ya Norse stories

Looking like I might have to do a PS5 play through.

I like history & was looking forward to getting around to Odyssey tho :(

It definitely does reference many events and people of the early Peloppenesian War, though in that typical Assassin's Creed way where Kassandra is somehow the most important figure in all of this yet never seems to get mentioned by the history books.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Royal has some neat upgrades but it's really not a big deal at all in my opinion and the extra content wasn't great anyway.

If you're not super invested in persona just play the base vanilla game for free and don't worry about Royal. Maybe you can come back later and get Royal on a discount if you ever feel like replaying the game again. I thought it was a disappointing upgrade for $60 for what it's worth and I'm a big persona/smt fan.

Now persona 5 strikers this feels fresh and exciting!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

You, sir, have a corrupt user profile just like I did. Wait for me to dig up my old posts before you do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Dark Souls 3 on PS5 is legitimately one of the best looking video games I have ever played

The art and animation are extremely top-tier. Now looking back on it and I don't feel like the godly animations from Sekiro feel so out of the blue because FROM had already put in the legwork with BB and DS3, it's just that the hitboxes in Sekiro are just insanely good.