Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

kater posted:

whats wrong with saying duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Burning Rain posted:

I can easily imagine a HoMM-like or an indie Total War game spliced with autobattler (although you could argue that the latter is basically Paradox games).

Dominions

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That was the first thing I thought of, too. Battles in the Dominions series are programmable to a limited degree, but ultimately your armies do their own thing in a fight.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hey, what was that 4x game everyone liked that had a limited-time demo at the same time as loop hero and all those other new indie thingies? I remember tons of people loving it, but I totally forgot to wishlist it. All I remember is, like, supply chains and nodes connecting different systems or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slipways

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yeah, Dominions is a good example, but I feel there's space for more games of the kind

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah! Thanks a ton, that's it :)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the System Shock remake final demo is up on Steam. I guess it's a really real thing this time coming out in the summer. I guess pre-ordering gets you a free copy of System Shock 2 Enhanced which may or may not come out before the heat death of the universe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Burning Rain posted:

I feel like single player autobattlers are one of the fastest-evolving genres atm. There's a lot of experimentation going on in, say, Loop Hero, Astronarch, Hadean Tactics and Despot's Game, and I feel like there are a lot of options still available to intermix with other strategy-adjacent genres. I can easily imagine a HoMM-like or an indie Total War game spliced with autobattler (although you could argue that the latter is basically Paradox games). Or sports management games, which have arrived to the approach via a very different route and could do with shedding off some of the simulationist approach.

The main thing is to step away from mindlessly cloning idlers and autochess games, where the genre originates.

Welp, that's my unasked-for rant for today

*eagerly adds Astronarch and Despot's Game to the wishlist*

It is fascinating watching genres evolve in real time!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Givin posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the System Shock remake final demo is up on Steam.

Downloading.

Bracing myself.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In a world where Prey didnt exist, a System Shock remake would be one of my most anticipated games pretty much ever.

Fortunately we do not live in such horrible world, no matter how much it might suck otherwise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked up RDR2 a couple nights ago

I like it, and goddrat is it ever pretty, but the pace sure is plodding. I get that that's intentional, but even things like looting bodies & locations take so long I get worried The Law is gonna ride up, even in the middle of nowhere :v:

I imagine fast travel is coming eventually, but are there any other gameplay mechanics or shortcuts to move things along just a little faster that'd be good to know?

(e) also i just did early story mission "A Quiet Drink" and that was a pretty good lol. I was very surprised afterwards to see what the medal requirements are

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 27, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

no its just a slow ponderous game and i hated every minute of it. especially on ps4 with like 25 fps, its was horrid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

no its just a slow ponderous game and i hated every minute of it. especially on ps4 with like 25 fps, its was horrid

yeah i think i would have called it off, straw-camel-back style, if i didn't have a computer giving me 60+fps at 3440x1440 on ultra-ish

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

I imagine fast travel is coming eventually, but are there any other gameplay mechanics or shortcuts to move things along just a little faster that'd be good to know?
You can hold... select or start, I forget which, to go into "cinematic cam" autotravel mode. In that mode, your horse will automatically navigate along roads towards your current map marker while maintaining the last speed to which you set it, without any further button presses even if that speed is a gallop. It will still get tired, though, so don't forget about that. Having your horse keel over on you halfway to where you need to be is not fun.

Trains can drop you off at a number of stations all over the map, it's a great way to get to some difficult-to-reach places early.

Stage coaches can be hired in and to places where trains are not available.

Once you purchase the map upgrade for the camp you can travel from there to a number of places in the game, but not back to it.

When you take all of that together it combines to a decent number of ways for getting where you want to go fairly quickly. You don't need to ride from one end of the map to the other if you don't want to, although it's a very engrossing experience and you'll miss out on random events if you don't.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Downloading.

Bracing myself.

It seems to be locked to 1080x724 with no way to change it, so I immediately uninstalled. I'd rather just wait for the full thing, I think, than experience it at the original game's resolution. It doesn't have the intro movie or menus yet, either. (The original SS is my favourite game ever.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

You can hold... select or start, I forget which, to go into "cinematic cam" autotravel mode. In that mode, your horse will automatically navigate along roads towards your current map marker while maintaining the last speed to which you set it, without any further button presses even if that speed is a gallop. It will still get tired, though, so don't forget about that. Having your horse keel over on you halfway to where you need to be is not fun.

Trains can drop you off at a number of stations all over the map, it's a great way to get to some difficult-to-reach places early.

Stage coaches can be hired in and to places where trains are not available.

Once you purchase the map upgrade for the camp you can travel from there to a number of places in the game, but not back to it.

When you take all of that together it combines to a decent number of ways for getting where you want to go fairly quickly. You don't need to ride from one end of the map to the other if you don't want to, although it's a very engrossing experience and you'll miss out on random events if you don't.

Interesting, didn't know that about cinema cam - when I used it traveling with the posse yesterday, i slowed to a stop when I let go of A. I guess it doesn't apply when you're not alone? :shrug:

Thanks for the tips. And yeah it is weirdly relaxing and interesting to just look around - wouldn't quite say engrossing, but same energy :v:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up RDR2 a couple nights ago

I like it, and goddrat is it ever pretty, but the pace sure is plodding. I get that that's intentional, but even things like looting bodies & locations take so long I get worried The Law is gonna ride up, even in the middle of nowhere :v:

(e) also i just did early story mission "A Quiet Drink" and that was a pretty good lol. I was very surprised afterwards to see what the medal requirements are

With RDR2 you better learn to mosey or you're gonna hate it. And even then you might end up hating it. It took me more than 50 hours to the credits and I fought with the controls until the end. Apparently it's "realistic" to shuffle back and forth for five second before you can pick up a can of beans from a countertop. The story and atmosphere were great though, a fantastic experience. Play on its terms or save yourself the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Interesting, didn't know that about cinema cam - when I used it traveling with the posse yesterday, i slowed to a stop when I let go of A. I guess it doesn't apply when you're not alone? :shrug:
It might not work while you're in a mission, because keeping up with your posse is something you do actively. It will work for autotravel to a map marker, I know that from experience, although it can be a bit finicky and I don't quite remember if you need to set your speed before you go into travel cam or afterwards.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

great stoned game, i'll say that much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You're not playing RDR2 right unless you're at least as drunk as Arthur at all times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
RDR2 is a dadgame. Every action is as arduous and laborious as possible, probably to build character.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, how often do you get to play a video game character who can become as chubby and hairy as you are? That's a selling point to the average Dad right there.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hunting in RDR2 is awesome and singlehandedly skinning a whole swampa gators is fuckin awesome.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

urtuk https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181830/Urtuk_The_Desolation/ left early access today

anyone playing it?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am not but the probably simplistic pitch of "Battle Brothers with monsters" is definitely interesting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

credburn posted:

Why is it called "Auto Chess"?

I've asked this a few times, maybe not here, but have never gotten a real answer. The few "auto chess" games I've played have had nothing to do with chess, cars, automation or any combination thereof. The only similarity I can find is they both use a grid. I'm thinking this is just another evolution of words created by Twitch kids that have zipped past this old guy still holding on to that 2001-era Internet dream.

I guess it's not really important.

Isn't automation the entire premise of the genre?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I played it for a while a couple of months back, it's pretty fun.
It's more class based than BB, and instead of speccing into perks, you use mutators extracted from enemies to customize your characters in various ways. The combat is also more "positioning"-based than the squad strategy of BB, with a lot of characters focused on knocking enemies around or repositioning themselves.
It's also not quite as open ended as BB. You have a story, and goals to aim for, and all movement happens between nodes on the main map.

Still, if you like the combat of BB, I can absolutely recommend it, I had a lot of fun with it. Should probably try it out again now that it's officially out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Wind and Wilting Blossom - I finally played it and woah, I am having to fight my brain on this one. I love the small-scale tactical battles and unlocking new stuff as you play the game, but I HATE the FTL structure, as you move from nodes and if you take too long you get attacked constantly. I shouldn't mind it here because it's a neat balancing act between mastering the battles, getting more resources and moving on, but due to being burnt by FTL so badly I already want to uninstall it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Broken Cog posted:

It's more class based than BB, and instead of speccing into perks, you use mutators extracted from enemies to customize your characters in various ways. The combat is also more "positioning"-based than the squad strategy of BB, with a lot of characters focused on knocking enemies around or repositioning themselves.
It's also not quite as open ended as BB. You have a story, and goals to aim for, and all movement happens between nodes on the main map.

Still, if you like the combat of BB, I can absolutely recommend it, I had a lot of fun with it. Should probably try it out again now that it's officially out.

Is combat as deadly as in BB?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pipski posted:

It seems to be locked to 1080x724 with no way to change it, so I immediately uninstalled. I'd rather just wait for the full thing, I think, than experience it at the original game's resolution. It doesn't have the intro movie or menus yet, either. (The original SS is my favourite game ever.)

That's a pretty weird one to use. I would have thought the original SS would have run at something more like 640x480 or 800x600, with 1024x768 for rich fuckers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Angry Lobster posted:

Is combat as deadly as in BB?
Actually, yes and no. I'd say your characters are probably more likely to die every now and then than BB, but when they die in combat, they just get "injured", which means you have to spend some medical supplies, and gives them the "injured" debuff for a set amount of turns. They have to actually die again while injured to die for good, but you can just bench them for the duration if you have some backbenchers ready.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Wind and Wilting Blossom - I finally played it and woah, I am having to fight my brain on this one. I love the small-scale tactical battles and unlocking new stuff as you play the game, but I HATE the FTL structure, as you move from nodes and if you take too long you get attacked constantly. I shouldn't mind it here because it's a neat balancing act between mastering the battles, getting more resources and moving on, but due to being burnt by FTL so badly I already want to uninstall it.
I tried this, but it just doesn't have the depth or feel of other games of its type. There is a very limited set of maps, units, and enemies, so it gets kinda boring after a while.
Edit: Also, the main quest is the same every time, so you are gonna see the same exact story events and battles every time you play it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just bought CrossCode after enjoying the demo and when I boot the full game it wants me to go through the whole demo tutorial stuff again. Is there a way to pick up where I left off?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pipski posted:

The System Shock demo actually defaults to 1024x768, or says it does. Swapping to full screen let me change it to native resolution (2560x1440 for me), but it still seems to be borderless windowed.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just bought CrossCode after enjoying the demo and when I boot the full game it wants me to go through the whole demo tutorial stuff again. Is there a way to pick up where I left off?
Not as far as I'm aware, but isn't the demo content only like 20 minutes long? Yeah it's a little annoying, but the rest of the game is so worth it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Not as far as I'm aware, but isn't the demo content only like 20 minutes long? Yeah it's a little annoying, but the rest of the game is so worth it.

Yeah its not the end of the world, just figured it was worth an ask to save that 20min. Especially since I ended up doing the demo basically twice since I crashed near the end without saving the first time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't there a Skip Tutorial setting in the options somewhere?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Broken Cog posted:

Going to second what Broken Cog wrote and add that there is a more sandboxy game mode called Conquest, which I don't have first hand experience with. Highly recommend it for people who like squad tactics games with a strong emphasis on positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whenever a game on steam doesn't support cloud saves, I become the joker