Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Edge & Christian posted:

The Incredible Hulk movie (and Hulk movies in general) are in a weird place because back pre-Disney, the fledgling Marvel Studios worked out a deal to get film production rights for Hulk back from Universal, with the agreement that Universal would still get to distribute all Hulk movies. This was fine for Marvel Studios, but a dealbreaker for Disney. The deal apparently lets them use Hulk in all the other films with no strings attached. This is largely why Thor Ragnarok was like half a Thor movie and half Planet Hulk.

Hulk as a standalone film franchise isn't worth a ton, but Universal also has theme park rights to a bunch of Marvel characters they acquired back in the 1990s that is another bone of contention between Universal and Disney, and a big part of why Disney's been limited in the theme park exploitation of the Marvel characters.

So basically fighting over the ability to make Marvel Superhero Rollercoasters is why the Incredible Hulk isn't on Disney+.

Disney isn't allowed to use the Marvel logo or name anywhere for theme parks, and east of the Mississippi, can't use any characters from Marvel. That contract has allegedly been handshake modified (since they'd never publicly admit to it) into Disney being unable to use any character or character family in the eastern parks that Universal uses in their parks.

The really funny part is the cheeky things they do to get around it, for example, the Avengers advertising wrapped monorail train at WDW couldn't run on the line that entered EPCOT, but it was okay as long as it never crossed into a park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Buff Hardback posted:

Disney isn't allowed to use the Marvel logo or name anywhere for theme parks, and east of the Mississippi, can't use any characters from Marvel. That contract has allegedly been handshake modified (since they'd never publicly admit to it) into Disney being unable to use any character or character family in the eastern parks that Universal uses in their parks.

The really funny part is the cheeky things they do to get around it, for example, the Avengers advertising wrapped monorail train at WDW couldn't run on the line that entered EPCOT, but it was okay as long as it never crossed into a park.

I imagine the Universal will likely end up closing the Marvel park in the next few years. Everything there is 20+ years old now and since they haven't announced anything new there other than some refurbishment which is now 5+ years old. It would make more sense for them to move to something either they own entirely in which they don't have to worry about rights holders or something that they aren't going to worry about someone else buying. They already have the Transformers in the parks, probably the easiest thing to do is to change it to Transformers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think they're trying to work out a deal with Nintendo and it's slow-going because Nintendo is famously slow to adopt new things-- especially when it involves their IPs getting handled elsewhere. If Mario World in Universal Japan is a true-blue success my guess is they'll revamp Marvel area.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bettany’s been in a bunch of well regarded and well known movies for 20 years now, the MCU didn’t make his career.

Bettany's been in loads of stuff, but he's never broken past that phase that loads of British actors who try to make it in Hollywood have, which is that it's entirely plausible that there's never a next offer after the current project.

There's a 5 year gap between Master and Commander and getting to voice Jarvis in Iron Man (which was a tiny part anyway, but it got his foot in the door of the Marvel/Disney machine and set his path). The few productions where he's been lead were not astonishing successes. He's always been good, but the MCU absolutely is what has guaranteed him steady work for the last 10 years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Djarum posted:

I imagine the Universal will likely end up closing the Marvel park in the next few years. Everything there is 20+ years old now and since they haven't announced anything new there other than some refurbishment which is now 5+ years old. It would make more sense for them to move to something either they own entirely in which they don't have to worry about rights holders or something that they aren't going to worry about someone else buying. They already have the Transformers in the parks, probably the easiest thing to do is to change it to Transformers.

I imagine the issue is that to update it, they'd need a new deal with Marvel Studios to use the movie style branding and designs, maybe even actors' likenesses, and Disney aren't going to sign off on that.

Edge & Christian posted:

Just to clarify some Comics "Secrets":

Secret Invasion: A 2008 comic book series about a militant sect of Skrulls using their shapeshifting powers to infiltrate all of the power bases of the world, from governments to superhero teams to organized crime. The announced television show is Secret Invasion. It will likely differ greatly from the comic books outside of the high concept.

Secret Wars: Actually at least four distinct comic events

1984: Marvel Superhero Secret Wars, a comic book literally designed to sell action figures, and named Secret Wars because focus groups of young boys really liked the words "secret" and "war". A big cosmic being plucks a bunch of heroes and villains who were going to have action figures made onto a BATTLEWORLD and makes them fight. Notable for a few things character arc-wise, but mostly remembered for where Spider-Man gets his new costume that eventually becomes Venom (they wanted two different Spider-Man toys)
1985: Secret Wars II was a much bigger event where The Beyonder (the cosmic being) comes to Earth to try to understand hu-mans. Spider-Man has to teach him how to poop, and he turns a building owned by a slumlord clearly modeled after Donald Trump into solid gold, destabilizing the building and the global economy. No one really likes this book, and there are no wars, secret or otherwise in it.
2004: Secret War, a mini-series with no relation to the previous two, though it's by the same author as Secret Invasion and serves as a soft prequel to the long Avengers run that both Secret Invasion and House of M spin out of. Basically the person who replaced Doctor Doom as head of Latveria is selling weapons of mass destruction of super science to low level terrorists supervillains and there's a big conspiracy running to allow/encourage this for REASONS. Those reasons were I think ultimately revealed to be "gently caress poo poo up" in the run-up to Secret Invasion.
2015: Secret Wars, a giant event where all of the multiverse is collapsing in on itself and the only portion of reality spared is a BATTLEWORLD sewn together of dozens of different realities held together by Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom. Though there hasn't been any sort of indication the MCU is tackling it, given its recency, popularity, and that it's Marvel's biggest "MULTIVERSE" event a lot of people are speculating it will be adapted eventually.

I don't know the rules for comic book spoilers here but I figured the broad outline of comics from thirty years ago with no obvious connection to Wandavision or the MCU are probably fine, I spoiled things that might actually come into play in shows/films that are currently announced/in production.

Given that there's a decent amount of Fantastic Four stuff that lead into the 2015 Hickman Secret Wars, I wouldn't be shocked if that's the eventual endgame (hehe) for that franchise.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

mind the walrus posted:

I think they're trying to work out a deal with Nintendo and it's slow-going because Nintendo is famously slow to adopt new things-- especially when it involves their IPs getting handled elsewhere. If Mario World in Universal Japan is a true-blue success my guess is they'll revamp Marvel area.

Actually that makes a ton more sense.

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine the issue is that to update it, they'd need a new deal with Marvel Studios to use the movie style branding and designs, maybe even actors' likenesses, and Disney aren't going to sign off on that.

Well according to what I have read they have use of all Marvel Comic stuff pre-2009. So they can't use the movie stuff at all. Which if Disney wanted to play hardball they could push the issue that it is two separate things and just go ahead with pushing the movie/tv versions. I don't see them doing it because it would take longer to get it settled in court than just waiting for Universal to give up the rights.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

Remember how they set up a story about a black sheep royal overthrowing a monarchy that does nothing for the kingdom's poor, but made the black sheep the bad guy? And forgot to explain why what he's doing is wrong? Or why we should root for the ineffectual royal family?

but enough about black panther

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are both solid and rudely underrated.

Thor 2 is the worst of the franchise (unless you count Iron Fist or certain seasons of Agents of SHIELD), and even its not THAT bad.

mind the walrus posted:

It was also early days and Edward Norton supposedly thought he'd get more creative input on "the machine" than any one person really gets on any Marvel project. Honestly that movie is underrated. It's nothing mold-breaking but it's smartly and efficiently put together with a lot of nice little touches that make it one of the best versions of what it's trying to be-- e.g: good in the exact way most good MCU projects are.

People gotta stop using "underrated" when they mean "exactly properly rated but I like bland cinematic gruel anyway".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

People gotta stop using "underrated" when they mean "exactly properly rated but I like bland cinematic gruel anyway".
Take it to CineD hot stuff.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Necrothatcher posted:

but enough about black panther

bad take, friend

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mind the walrus posted:

Nintendo is never going to license mario to the clowns at universal. He is a plumber that shits out mountains of cash.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elephanthead posted:

Nintendo is never going to license mario to the clowns at universal. He is a plumber that shits out mountains of cash.

They already did in Japan.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQaRBOI-9kg

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Would a Skrull know about magic or what Wanda's powers could potentially be?

A Skrull wouldn't, but a Dire Wraith would.

Speaking of things with complex rights situations, you can see the original contract re Marvel in Universal Parks at https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm even though the character schedule isn't included.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Mario's also planned to be licensed to the them (specifically the Minions people) for a moovie

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mind the walrus posted:

The rumor mill is that, like Harry Potter, Nintendo will have a presence in all 3 Florida universal parks after the first one goes well.

Super Nintendo World in their new Epic Universe park will be first by 2024/5, a Legend of Zelda land in Islands of Adventure which would replace The Lost Continent area by 2027, and perhaps also by 2027 a Pokemon land to replace Woody Woodpeckers's Kid Zone at Universal Studios.

No idea what theyll do with the Marvel Superhero Island

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Establishing Skrulls as refugees and a oppressed people experiencing Genocide by the Kree and then turning around and making them an insidious infiltrating force is a really, really bad idea. Even if you add a "No, you see some Skrulls are good some are bad" it's still feeding into right wing fears.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also totally unncessary considering a good chunk of Kree are literally indistinguishable from boring rear end white dude #4 (no offence to Jude Law), just have it be the Kree infiltrating.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

twistedmentat posted:

Establishing Skrulls as refugees and a oppressed people experiencing Genocide by the Kree and then turning around and making them an insidious infiltrating force is a really, really bad idea. Even if you add a "No, you see some Skrulls are good some are bad" it's still feeding into right wing fears.

I think you can use the Skrulls as villains despite their victim status without feeding Right Wing propaganda about refugees as long as you focus on it being a "Cycle of Hatred," type issue. Revolutionaries that are entirely justified and are fighting back against evil imperialists still hurt innocent people in the process. Right Wing fears about refugees are racist poo poo like The Great Replacement or burdening the social safety net so that it might not be available for "deserving," white people or that they are secret terrorists who want to destroy America or what the gently caress ever, I don't think "They don't really care about humans, but are going to cause some collateral damage to us because they're striking back at their oppressors," would get a ton of traction on OANN or whatever.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Mario's also planned to be licensed to the them (specifically the Minions people) for a moovie

It won't be as good as Super Hornio Brothers.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

It's also totally unncessary considering a good chunk of Kree are literally indistinguishable from boring rear end white dude #4 (no offence to Jude Law), just have it be the Kree infiltrating.

I could see them doing Kree undercover operatives too. Either way, Hayward’s second-in-command in ep. 7 definitely had weird special effects going on with her eyes that make her seem like a shapeshifter, probably keeping tabs on him for Fury & Talos.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What time do the new eps get posted? Might actually stay up late for the finale...

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sanguinia posted:

I think you can use the Skrulls as villains despite their victim status without feeding Right Wing propaganda about refugees as long as you focus on it being a "Cycle of Hatred," type issue. Revolutionaries that are entirely justified and are fighting back against evil imperialists still hurt innocent people in the process. Right Wing fears about refugees are racist poo poo like The Great Replacement or burdening the social safety net so that it might not be available for "deserving," white people or that they are secret terrorists who want to destroy America or what the gently caress ever, I don't think "They don't really care about humans, but are going to cause some collateral damage to us because they're striking back at their oppressors," would get a ton of traction on OANN or whatever.

Eh, the whole "this relatively powerless group defending themselves against the oppression of a more powerful group is EXACTLY AS BAD AS the oppressor group, because they're using Violence and Violence Is Wrong" thing is pretty bad, too. It plays into the idea that oppression is an individual choice that can be changed by everybody agreeing to be nicer to each other, rather than a structural problem. Every bigot who complains about how those people are the real bigots because they saw a marginalized person being mean to a privileged person buys into this idea. Disney ought to take care to avoid playing into that narrative, too.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Masonity posted:

It won't be as good as Super Hornio Brothers.

With Nintendo's history of pumping out cinematic masterpieces, Illumination really does have their work cut out for them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

massive spider posted:

Yeah she's basically made a 'perfect' town where no one gets hurt if you don't think about it too much.

Sure, but they also get hurt if Wanda doesn't think about them too much.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Pththya-lyi posted:

Eh, the whole "this relatively powerless group defending themselves against the oppression of a more powerful group is EXACTLY AS BAD AS the oppressor group, because they're using Violence and Violence Is Wrong" thing is pretty bad, too. It plays into the idea that oppression is an individual choice that can be changed by everybody agreeing to be nicer to each other, rather than a structural problem. Every bigot who complains about how those people are the real bigots because they saw a marginalized person being mean to a privileged person buys into this idea. Disney ought to take care to avoid playing into that narrative, too.

That's fair, although I don't think that portraying the cost of violence to bystanders even in a situation where one side of the fight is clearly the oppressed/colonized side automatically lends to the message BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY WRONG. Its all in the execution. Dragon Age had a character who was the leader of an oppressed group of people fighting a rebellion against an evil empire, and that guy was a psychopath and a full-blown terrorist with many undeniable atrocities to his name because he didn't care how he hurt his enemies as long as it advanced the cause. The game's narrative never really acted like his side was exactly as bad as the imperialist police state, it just wasn't afraid to acknowledge that he was not a good person despite fighting for a good cause and the ultimate arc of his storyline is trying to find someone who can take his place who can carry on the fight in a better, more noble fashion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I saw some speculation about how, Bettany interview spoiler, the great actor that Bettany adores, has been waiting his life to work with and everyone will be amazed by the chemistry, is totally himself in some Vision vs. Vision scenes and if that's true that is hilarious.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sanguinia posted:

That's fair, although I don't think that portraying the cost of violence to bystanders even in a situation where one side of the fight is clearly the oppressed/colonized side automatically lends to the message BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY WRONG. Its all in the execution. Dragon Age had a character who was the leader of an oppressed group of people fighting a rebellion against an evil empire, and that guy was a psychopath and a full-blown terrorist with many undeniable atrocities to his name because he didn't care how he hurt his enemies as long as it advanced the cause. The game's narrative never really acted like his side was exactly as bad as the imperialist police state, it just wasn't afraid to acknowledge that he was not a good person despite fighting for a good cause and the ultimate arc of his storyline is trying to find someone who can take his place who can carry on the fight in a better, more noble fashion.

Dragon Age is a decent example of how power differentials affect the morality of a terrorist or freedom fighter's actions - though magic ability is not a great example of a marginalized trait. On the other hand, you don't have to move away from video games to find an example of Both Sides Are Equally Bad. Don't get me started on Bioshock Infinite!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I saw some speculation about how, Bettany interview spoiler, the great actor that Bettany adores, has been waiting his life to work with and everyone will be amazed by the chemistry, is totally himself in some Vision vs. Vision scenes and if that's true that is hilarious.

I heard James Spader, who voiced Ultron, was on the cast list for WandaVision. Could Ultron be the voice and personality of White Vision?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 27, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Was anything ever said in interviews or w/e about why Dottie bled red in episode 2?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dragon Age is a decent example of how power differentials affect the morality of a terrorist or freedom fighter's actions - though magic ability is not a great example of a marginalized trait. On the other hand, you don't have to move away from video games to find an example of Both Sides Are Equally Bad. Don't get me started on Bioshock Infinite!

I heard James Spader, who voiced Ultron, was on the cast list for WandaVision. Could Ultron be the voice and personality of White Vision?

Oh poo poo, that would be dope as hell, makes sense in universe, and the resolution could be to somehow merge WandaVision with UltronVision to get back regular Vision and then booya we got regular ol Vision back. However, building on how the MCU borrows from the comics but with a twist, I could see new Vision ultimately giving up his new body and splitting it in two to give real life to the twins who would genuinely be part of Wanda and part of Vision.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Barreft posted:

Was anything ever said in interviews or w/e about why Dottie bled red in episode 2?

I guess that like how Wanda knew that Hal from Malcolm in the Middle wasnt really hurt because it's "not the kind of show", Dottie being hurt was something that didnt belong in Wanda's sitcom, so it broke the mirage for a bit, and Wanda lost control of the magic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barreft posted:

It's probably because sitcoms in that era didn't portray blood, if I had to guess, but it's not anything I've seen talked about.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Djarum posted:

I imagine the Universal will likely end up closing the Marvel park in the next few years. Everything there is 20+ years old now and since they haven't announced anything new there other than some refurbishment which is now 5+ years old.

No way. IoA is the only place in Florida you can meet Spider Man, Wolverine, and Captain America; there's no way Universal would give up that sort of edge.

Also it isn't as though spending there is zero - Hulk got a massive refurb back in 15-16 that involved a lot of the theming being redone and large chunks of the ride being re-tracked. 5 years isn't that long for a land to sit still at these places.

EDIT: Also are they really not going to explain why Agatha went with a different name in the Hex? I still feel like it's the dumbest misdirection ever.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, Haywood's plan is super dumb no matter how you spin it. He's just smooshing together powerful forces he neither understands or can be sure to control and seeing what happens.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ignis posted:

Fun anachronism from this week's episode: Wanda was born in 89 and her parents died when she was 10, so that flashback would presumably happen in 99, before those editions of Bewitched S1 (June 2005) and Malcolm S1 (2002) were made. I figure it's just a production goof and not actual foreshadowing to things, fwiw :v:

Wait Wanda was born in 89? Shes 31 without the 5 year scan? A little surprising.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

Wait Wanda was born in 89? Shes 31 without the 5 year scan? A little surprising.

Elizabeth Olsen is 32.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxman posted:

No way. IoA is the only place in Florida you can meet Spider Man, Wolverine, and Captain America; there's no way Universal would give up that sort of edge.

Also it isn't as though spending there is zero - Hulk got a massive refurb back in 15-16 that involved a lot of the theming being redone and large chunks of the ride being re-tracked. 5 years isn't that long for a land to sit still at these places.

EDIT: Also are they really not going to explain why Agatha went with a different name in the Hex? I still feel like it's the dumbest misdirection ever.

Not really a spoiler so not tagging, Agatha seemed to think Wanda was actually trained, so it's possible she was doing some kind of 'true name' hiding in case that would've let Wanda do poo poo to her. Once she realised she was dealing with basically a learner driver with a hypercar, I guess that didn't matter so much. Or just was worried her reputation would precede her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor Nutt posted:

And yet you can watch Inhumans on Disney plus while The Incredible Hulk is nowhere to be seen. Kind of a bizarre choice given the RDJ cameo and the fact that General Ross pops back up in Winter Soldier like we're supposed to know who he is.

The more important thing is that Helstrom is on Star or whatever it's called, but Cloak & Dagger isn't.

I really hope if that show is dropped from MCU canon they pull an Evan Peters and get the leads back to reprise their roles, they're the best part of a great show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

The more important thing is that Helstrom is on Star or whatever it's called, but Cloak & Dagger isn't.

I really hope if that show is dropped from MCU canon they pull an Evan Peters and get the leads back to reprise their roles, they're the best part of a great show.

Is there a reason Runaways isn't on it? I'd like to watch season 2, I didn't hate season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Thundercracker posted:

Man, Haywood's plan is super dumb no matter how you spin it. He's just smooshing together powerful forces he neither understands or can be sure to control and seeing what happens.

Hey, it worked out the first time, right?