Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I feel like if you like Joy Division, you also need to check out early New Order, since they are basically the same band, minus Ian Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Brown was an astonishing singles artist and this really is a case where the compilation box is the right answer. "Star Time" is one of the best compilations ever made.

If you don’t want to spend for the entire Star Time collection, Foundations of Funk is a great double album to get started. It’s probably what I go back to most when I want to clean the house or something and just want a good hour or two of funky James Brown

I mean you are probably streaming so the cost of Star Time doesn’t matter anymore but I still love Foundations of Funk.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Transmission is one of the greatest songs ever. Joy Division only have two albums so just dive in. New Order’s Movement is basically the third Joy Division album IMO and you should listen to that too.

Edit:

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like if you like Joy Division, you also need to check out early New Order, since they are basically the same band, minus Ian Curtis.

Yeah this. The first 7” is literally two JD songs.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 28, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Toe Rag posted:

Transmission is one of the greatest songs ever. Joy Division only have two albums so just dive in. New Order’s Movement is basically the third Joy Division album IMO and you should listen to that too.

Edit:

Yeah this. The first 7” is literally two JD songs.

Just to add as I think it’s been said: you will miss a good number of Joy Divisions best songs if you only listen to their two albums and don’t pick up Substance or another singles/hits collection.

Like Transmission, which I agree is one of the greatest songs ever, but isn’t on either album.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's probably a good idea to listen to some live Joy Division since it sounds completely different from the 'playing far away in an aquarium' sound on the albums, Les Bains Douches 18 December 1979 is a cool live recording.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really don't know much about Bruce Springstreen other than his more popular singles - Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run are the only 3 songs I know off the top of my head, what else should I check out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really don't know much about Bruce Springstreen other than his more popular singles - Born in the USA, Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run are the only 3 songs I know off the top of my head, what else should I check out.

Do you like any of those songs? Especially, I mean.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 28, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bruce really had a strong run starting from his second LP The Wild, The Innocent & the E-Street Shuffle, to 1987's Tunnel of Love. He's had other good stuff since then, but his batting average goes down. But where to start?

Born to Run is his breakout success, and would be a great place to start. It's a big panoramic album, filled with characters and a big brash sound that fills up the room. You already know the title track, and the fact that it's everywhere hides just how deft the moves are. It's an amazing cross between Roy Orbison, Phil Spector, and your local bar band.

The River was his double album. He was just pushing out material, and this album has a pretty wide range. There's new wave infused rockers like the Ties that Bind, there's bar band antics like Sherry Darling, there's ballads like the River, there's the theatrical Drive All Night, there's him trying to write a song for the Ramones with Hungry Heart (which would be his first top 10 single). There's plenty of songs that could have been hits like "Out on the Streets." There's also a collection called The Ties That Bind which presents the original single disc version of the album (which has a lot of differences even on the songs that appeared in the final version) and a collection of stuff that wasn't released at the time. Loose Ends and Little White Lies just show you what he was throwing away was just as strong as what he was putting into the albums.

Born In The USA as an album was huge. It had 7 top 10 singles, so if there's other Bruce songs you know, they might be here.

A lot of people are going to mention Nebraska. It is a really good album, but it's different than a lot of his other stuff since it's basically just acoustic demos that he felt he should release. It's a very dark and very sparse album. Atlantic City is probably the only track that suffers by not being turned into an E-Street band song, but otherwise, the sparseness of the album really matches the themes of the song. I would say though it's really a next step after you get into Bruce.

As for TWTI&TES, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and Tunnel of Love - they're all really good. Some might say Darkness is his best album. His second album is definitely him still finding his sound, but "Fourth of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" is a huge standout. Darkness is a continuation of Born to Run, but overall it's a lot darker. Badlands is Bruce listening to punk, Prove It All Night is the poppiest number here, but the standout is Racing in the Street, which is dark and bold and cinematic, and finds a way to reference Dancing in the Streets and make it sad and depressing. Tunnel was him moving on from the E-Street band, and is probably his most 80s record. But Brilliant Disguise is a huge standout.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Born to Run is by far the most essential Bruce album and has three of the most undeniably great rock songs of all time. After that I would go with its jammier predecessor (The Wild, The Innocent...) and its darker successor (Darkness on the Edge of Town).

Born in the USA is worth listening to and it's his best selling album, but it can get pretty mixed responses due in large part to the extremely dated production. It doesn't really sound like anything else in his discography.

After all that, if you're converted to the cult of Bruce, come back to us for where to go next.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's me, the guy who is going to bring up Nebraska! Nebraska is an album I'd recommend unreservedly. It's a lot more intimate than the stadium stuff (just Bruce and an acoustic guitar I think, with some overdubs) but it blew me way away.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Nebraska is amazing, and if you like quieter, acoustic Bruce, try The Ghost Of Tom Joad, which is wonderful.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

All of the above are excellent suggestions. After you finish them, I wholeheartedly recommend his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.. Despite what is an incredible catalogue of music, this still remains my personal favorite. It’s a great, if under appreciated, collection of tunes. Growin’ Up, Hard to be a Saint in the City, and For You are consummate Bruce tracks. Also, his version of Blinded by the Light is far better than Manfred Mann’s.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where do I start with grime?

I've pretty much just listened to Boy in da Corner

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

evilpicard posted:

Where do I start with grime?

I've pretty much just listened to Boy in da Corner

gently caress, I saw grime and was ready to slam type Dizzy Rascal, I'm not a grime expert but I am from the UK so there is that....here are a few of my favourite Grime Songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVcEL0-iWg - Lethal Bizzle - Fester Skank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqQGUJK7Na4 - Stormzy - Shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClYy0MxsU0 - Stormzy - Vossi Bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSRYI0aBsRw - Giggs - Baby

And probably most classic of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7VhofoV3qs So Solid Crew - 21 Seconds

That Giggs - Baby one is a bit poo poo now I think about it but if you like the Stormzy and Lethal Bizzle thats a good popular entry into grime

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How about Gogol Bordello?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

"Multi Kontra Culti vs Irony" to start, then "Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike". They've only got 7 albums, so you can keep going forward with "Super Taranta!" and beyond, or backtrack to "Vio-La Intruder!". Also, look for live performances to watch, cuz their live shows rule.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ultrafilter posted:

I first heard start wearing purple the night i lost my virginity so its the natural choice

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I first heard start wearing purple the night i lost my virginity so its the natural choice

For OP, this song's on Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike. Still a huge staple of their live shows.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
This isn't for me but people who ask me

Pink Floyd?

I love them to death and want to say Dark Side of the Moon because Time is one of the best songs ever. Probably in my top one. But then again Endless River is a surprisingly good album. Not to mention all the other super famous ones. Where would you tell people to start?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

This isn't for me but people who ask me

Pink Floyd?

I love them to death and want to say Dark Side of the Moon because Time is one of the best songs ever. Probably in my top one. But then again Endless River is a surprisingly good album. Not to mention all the other super famous ones. Where would you tell people to start?

Depends what they're looking for. Wish You Were Here is probably the best for combination digestibility and having songs one may already know. Dark Side as well...people way overblow its complexity, it's just a good record. If they're coming to them as a prog fan it's gotta be Animals. If they actually don't like any of what they know about Floyd it's Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it's hard to think of a better pink floyd album to start with than dark side of the moon unless you came for the psychedelia/syd barrett stuff in which case relics is a good sampling

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If it was someone going in almost completely blind, I'd probably recommend The Division Bell just because it's the most accessible.

If they generally know and like what Floyd they've heard on the radio but that's the extent of their knowledge, DSotM.

Now, what's the worst Floyd album for a first timer? Gotta be The Final Cut, right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Now, what's the worst Floyd album for a first timer? Gotta be The Final Cut, right?

Ummagumma maybe?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Atom Heart Mother

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ummagumma maybe?

The live half is good at least. I might go with atom heart mother. That goes nowhere slowly.

Edit: like he said^^^

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Idk, I always liked Fat Old Sun and If. The Final Cut is just so portentous, there's zero fun or joy in it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Atom Heart Mother cooked live (the KQED version is fantastic) but it's so weak on record.

I'm gonna throw a wrench in the works and say that the wall is actually worst for a first timer. It's got so much of the "no way, it's really deep, maaaaaaaaaaaaan" baggage associated with pf fans, it's so relentlessly grim for such a long time, the only redeeming parts are the ones that dave wrote, and it barely sounds like anything else they ever did elsewhen

and don't get me wrong, I like roger and his songs about pouting

but the wall is for later

also, never start with a double album.

meddle, wish and moon (in any order) are the three to start with, then animals, imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TV on the Radio?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
No mention of The Wall?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No mention of The Wall?

There was mention of the wall. I think it’s bad though. I’d much rather listen to the final cut. At least that’s a single album.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Wall is a very good single album that is unfortunately a double album. The movie's tracklist improves on the album significantly. It's still not a top 3 Floyd album, I'd put it squarely at #5 behind DSotM, Animals, WYWH, and Meddle. SoS at 6, tied with the Gilmour albums.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Wall is probably my favourite album ever, it feels like an actual start to finish story rather than just a collection of songs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Wall is a lot to sit through if you're not sure whether you like the band. Save that for after they're hooked by Dark Side of the Moon.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

algebra testes posted:

TV on the Radio?

Young Liars EP in 2003 lead to the album Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes. and both are great for a number of reasons. (The Pixies covers, really muddy, dirty sound, super-heavy bass). Return to Cookie Mountain in 2006 gives you Wolf Like Me, which you might know, and is a super album. Don't be put off by the very odd sounding opening track - you'll grow to love it.

Then move forward through the next two albums, both of which are great, and show more maturity, fewer brought edges (and for those reasons, I like them less.) First four albums are all great. I've not heard Seeds, 2014.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Wall is a great album, but it does have a bit of fluff by virtue of being a very story-driven album. I mean, it has amazing songs on it and it's worth checking out for sure, and some of their most popular songs (Another Brick In The Wall). Not to mention Uncomfortably Numb has my second most favorite guitar solo ever. (First is still Funkadelic's Maggot Brain).

Wish You Were Here is still my favorite Floyd album, but I of course started with Dark Side of the Moon. I went backwards to the beginning from there, and Piper is very much only for those curious, or if you liked 60s psychedelic. Meddle's when they finally had a good album start to end, so that's the earliest album I'd say to start with, but Dark Side was right after.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pink Floyd’s singles from 67 and 68 were really fun and the band went downhill from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DGpINHX5Q

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Where do I start with Sheena Ringo? She's been around awhile, so where do I go to understand her musical identity in general? I asked this in a separate discord as well recently, and I was told her that her "Tokyo Jihen" stuff was good, but I don't know exactly how that lines up with her career and discography.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blue Labrador posted:

Where do I start with Sheena Ringo? She's been around awhile, so where do I go to understand her musical identity in general? I asked this in a separate discord as well recently, and I was told her that her "Tokyo Jihen" stuff was good, but I don't know exactly how that lines up with her career and discography.

shoso strip and kalk samen kuri no hana are the two go-to solo albums and they’re both excellent

tokyo jihen is a side project where she’s still the frontperson; for that i’d start with adult

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Living Colour? I know and like Cult of Personality but Wikipedia says they've put out 6 albums, three of them after breaking up and reuniting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ExecuDork posted:

Living Colour? I know and like Cult of Personality but Wikipedia says they've put out 6 albums, three of them after breaking up and reuniting.

Basically just go in chronological order, Vivid was the best and has Cult of Personality, Time's Up is good, and after that it's kind of meh with the next best being... the next album after that, Stain.