Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just beat Origami King. I was... whelmed. The combat by the end really did my head in. The boss fights were a lot better but also some of the solutions seemed pretty obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

man, it seems like whenever i'm hit with an item in mario kart i just immediately stop and it takes like three seconds to get going again. but then i see some competitors get hit and they, yea, get interrupted but are still able to either move a touch or get going super quick. am i missing something? i'm using tanooki mario and the blue falcon if those matter.

If you're online it might be that they got hit on your switch but not on the server side? Otherwise it's because they have high acceleration

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Muk Dumpster posted:

I dont want to live in a world where you have to catch other pokemon to get exp, I need to battle

get the pokeball, take your buddies with you on walks, and then come back with OP monsters that obliterate trainers

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I want to battle to get exp? Like every other game?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wild Pokemon aren't a challenge though they're just Derpy fuckwits you body fifty thousand times to grind levels. Also dog fighting is cruel.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Wild Pokemon aren't a challenge though they're just Derpy fuckwits you body fifty thousand times to grind levels. Also dog fighting is cruel.

I dunno man, getting into a fight with a zubat every 5 steps is part of the appeal

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dugong posted:

Just beat Origami King. I was... whelmed. The combat by the end really did my head in. The boss fights were a lot better but also some of the solutions seemed pretty obtuse.

I never got the hang of the ice maze.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Piranha Creeper Creek after dark is much harder on switch. gently caress this is hard. 8 directions makes things much simpler. 360 makes this feel impossible. Ugh. Only thing I have left.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tore my hair out for like 2 hours on it before I decided to just go as slow as possible and focus on killing every single plant and then I ended up getting it on like my 3rd try. It's definitely the 2nd hardest thing in the game next to Champion's Road though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is Puzzle Quest: The Legend Returns as good as the first Puzzle Quest? It looked a bit ugly and maybe a little clumsy when I played the demo, but that was just a little bit, and I haven't played the original in ages.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Muk Dumpster posted:

Hori split pad pro is amazing, and joy cons are the worst controller ever invented

you're gonna say this while giving various N64 third party controllers a pass? I'll be a heretic and throw the original N64 controller in that pile too

Black Griffon posted:

Is Puzzle Quest: The Legend Returns as good as the first Puzzle Quest? It looked a bit ugly and maybe a little clumsy when I played the demo, but that was just a little bit, and I haven't played the original in ages.

It's a remake of the first Puzzle Quest with new classes and some expanded campaigns

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

American McGay posted:

I tore my hair out for like 2 hours on it before I decided to just go as slow as possible and focus on killing every single plant and then I ended up getting it on like my 3rd try. It's definitely the 2nd hardest thing in the game next to Champion's Road though.

That's what I've been trying to do. It's what I did on the Wii U version. But due to the looser movement on the remake it is much more difficult. I'm sure I will get it but gently caress.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

abelwingnut posted:

man, it seems like whenever i'm hit with an item in mario kart i just immediately stop and it takes like three seconds to get going again. but then i see some competitors get hit and they, yea, get interrupted but are still able to either move a touch or get going super quick. am i missing something? i'm using tanooki mario and the blue falcon if those matter.

Tanooki Mario is a medium driver so he'll take a bit longer to recover than light drivers, that might be what you're seeing. I forget how it works in MK8 but your kart body and components might have an impact on that as well.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Drawing fanart of Chun Li with a power glove beating up a Sega mega drive controller and sending it in to Nintendo Magazine Systems letters page

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Is LittleWood any good? Looks like a Stardew clone but with enough distinct differences to be its own thing.

It's more like a budget Animal Crossing, but yes it's good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Muk Dumpster posted:

I just want a gen 1 remake with the original starters and without the Go catching mechanic, seriously why did they take out random encounter battles

So, Fire Red/Leaf Green?

And thanks for the Smallwood replies! I ended up getting BD2 but I’ll put it on the wish list for when I start craving that kind of game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The single greatest improvement it makes to the Farm Life genre is tying the progression of time with your stamina bar, so that you never have to actually rush to do anything.
If you want to fart around terraforming or interior decorating villagers' homes for a couple hours without worrying about multiple days going by, you can do that.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 28, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I never got the hang of the ice maze.

I did the boss time trials and tried to squeeze out the most efficient boss wins, but the ice maze is kinda lame because there's only one plausible solution for it.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Mega64 posted:

So, Fire Red/Leaf Green?

And thanks for the Smallwood replies! I ended up getting BD2 but I’ll put it on the wish list for when I start craving that kind of game.

Yes, firered leafgreen deluxe

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nintendo Switch:

Mega64 posted:

And thanks for the Smallwood replies!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Waltzing Along posted:

So what you are saying is you want to smash Maya Fey?

She's old enough by the third game. She's written like she's like 12 though, so no.

:hmmno:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope the next Pokemon 'mainline' game takes the Sw/Sh circuit setup and expands on it: You go through the gyms and beat the 'champion' and when you do it's not "you're just the best, kid who started training days ago" it's "ok you passed certification to be a professional competitor, no more kid gloves from the gyms and fellow pros" and if you take on any gym leaders, elite trainers...etc, they have properly setup teams like the battle tower fights.

Granted, the story is designed with kids in mind so "congrats you're the best" is going to fly better than "the real dark souls begins now" for the target audience but it always feels like a wasted opportunity. I'd say they could push online play but kids will just get merked by adults who take their Pokemans way too seriously.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope the next Pokemon 'mainline' game takes the Sw/Sh circuit setup and expands on it: You go through the gyms and beat the 'champion' and when you do it's not "you're just the best, kid who started training days ago" it's "ok you passed certification to be a professional competitor, no more kid gloves from the gyms and fellow pros" and if you take on any gym leaders, elite trainers...etc, they have properly setup teams like the battle tower fights.

Granted, the story is designed with kids in mind so "congrats you're the best" is going to fly better than "the real dark souls begins now" for the target audience but it always feels like a wasted opportunity. I'd say they could push online play but kids will just get merked by adults who take their Pokemans way too seriously.

They should start saving hall of fame data and have it portable to your home account. Then use the circuit idea and pull past characters/their hall of fame team for challengers.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Until every team is 6 level 100 mewtwo or whatever OP pokemon are

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

people have been hoping for that for 24 years

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

In Fire Emblem what does equipping magic do? i have this unit called mercedes. she has a bow equipped but I noticed she can use white magic anyways. so what would I gain from equipping the magic?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vorik posted:

so what would I gain from equipping the magic?

You can choose what she's going to retaliate with. Bows can't usually retaliate in melee combat. White magic can sometimes attack while healing the user, to heal up during the enemy turn during your counterattack.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

Put Pet Shop in Smash, you cowards.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

"ok you passed certification to be a professional competitor, no more kid gloves from the gyms and fellow pros"

Oh hell yeah. I'd go one step further: winning the championship nets you a license to open your own gym. You recruit trainers to fight, build an obstacle course Mario Maker style, and watch a little tower defense/dungeon master minigame unfold. Then you can upload your gym online and other people can download it and try to beat you (ie your team piloted by an AI) at the end.

Hell if I know what the rewards would be, cosmetics (eg some kind of shiny charm) maybe?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh man you could even put some Animal Crossing style furniture collecting and decor stuff in there. You start off with a basic gym and decorate it with swag. How is this not already a thing

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Chronojam posted:

You can choose what she's going to retaliate with. Bows can't usually retaliate in melee combat. White magic can sometimes attack while healing the user, to heal up during the enemy turn during your counterattack.

Ooh that's awesome. Thanks

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Marx Headroom posted:

Oh man you could even put some Animal Crossing style furniture collecting and decor stuff in there. You start off with a basic gym and decorate it with swag. How is this not already a thing

It is. It's called the Secret Bases in ORAS.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

jaguar controllers were made by high demons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

jaguar controllers were made by high demons

This controller had thirty-two buttons! Do you think that's enough for you to buy our console? We can add more! Do you really think you will?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

It is. It's called the Secret Bases in ORAS.

Oh yeah. That's pretty much exactly what I posted. Man SwSh really was missing a lot of stuff.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's a shame secret bases went away but the Pokemon games have never carried over those sort of things between games, I guess to give each generation their own feeling of uniqueness.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Wow the jump from Hard to Maddening in Fire Emblem three houses is pretty drat big... can actually play the game in hard now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: Wrong thread. But yeah maddening is... Interesting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the netcode for mario 3d world just really spotty? Played some tonight with my friend and we were getting little hiccups every like 10 seconds. It was still playable but...Annoying. Both of our networks say they have good connection too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

boy oh man luigi sucks red raw anus in mario 3d world