Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

Are they using +12V only mobos and PSUs

This is where everything is heading anyway. I can’t wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

bus hustler posted:

intel will be cheaper through the oem because it significantly decreases complexity, thats my hunch

They also won't suffer scalper issues if they sell them predominantly through OEMs, meaning they might actually end up being "reasonably priced" by comparison.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

bus hustler posted:

These are a pretty good deal actually. What are 3080s going for? $1500?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope this crisis doesn't permanently distort GPU prices

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rinkles posted:

There’s no way it isn’t bad for awhile

I think someone linked an article either in here or the PC Building thread about how this issue will persist into next year

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2080ti pricing was not that long ago and people ate that poo poo up. 4090 at $4090 here we come

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah I don't see nvidia at least ever offering another line of cards at these msrp price points again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rinkles posted:

Depends what you mean by distort GPU prices. Everything is going to be a lot more expensive going forward because money printer has been going brr at unprecedented rates and the inflation that results is going to be bonkers. Relative to the value of everything else, sure, GPUs will go back to being reasonable. But even if we take inflation out of the picture, the days of $3xx GPUs that perform 85% as well as the best GPU you can buy are gone. The market for higher end products exists, and that demand is going to keep being filled.

I think 2 years from now $600 will be the new $300 and $600 will buy you a drat good GPU - but that GPU won't compete with the $1200 and $2000 products in the way products like the 970 and 1070 bought you almost all the performance you could get in any GPU for $350ish.

e - one thing you can say for certain is that we won't see anything like the launch 3080 any time soon. A high-end product being the most efficient product you can buy by almost every metric is extremely unusual and people should not set any future expectations based on that.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

edit: not crypto thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well if it gets to those prices this hobby will be dead IMO. Catering only to some rich fucks to PC game will destroy it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Vintersorg posted:

Well if it gets to those prices this hobby will be dead IMO. Catering only to some rich fucks to PC game will destroy it.

Yeah, the presence of McLaren, Ferrari and so on mean that nobody can buy a Corolla any more.. wait, what

People will just have to get used to sucking it up and buying the shittier cards; and god forbid - turning settings down

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Those 3080 prices make me feel less stupid about paying almost $2k for a Asus TUF 3090. Yikes

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, the presence of McLaren, Ferrari and so on mean that nobody can buy a Corolla any more.. wait, what

People will just have to get used to sucking it up and buying the shittier cards; and god forbid - turning settings down

If that happened, it's going to go back to the PS2 and early PS3 days of PC ports being total rear end that publishers can't care about so there would be no point in paying through the nose for one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

4k 120fps ultra is MANDATORY, what are you even talking about? Any game older than 3 months is dead and you arent allowed to play it. Only the newest hardware is suitable for my needs

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Yeah, if 1200+ is the new price for the 80 series next gen, I’ll be buying a ps6

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

I recommend low budget gaming builds to people, but even I'm having trouble suggesting a $220 GTX 1650 or a $350+ 1660 Super to someone who doesn't have a Microcenter nearby nor is willing to stand in line starting at 4 AM to get one. Those cards are bare minimum I would consider for PC gaming in tyool 2021 (with obsolescence by 2022-2023 with setting tweaks). Why the hell would someone spend that on a single component when you have the Series X and PS5 right there for a little more?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
people tend to justify the cost of pc components in different ways given how essential a PC is right now, and although right this second this is untrue typically you can always go last gen - a 970 right now works a hell of a lot better than trying to run a ps5 game on a ps4. with that said i don't think these prices are at all sustainable and strongly suspect they were priced to keep the consoles at bay.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I would have more trouble recommending someone to ebay a 6 year old card with unknown usage

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 27, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Canna Happy posted:

Yeah, if 1200+ is the new price for the 80 series next gen, I’ll be buying a ps6

I'll just keep buying every other generation (save for the time I went from a 970 to a 1080Ti which was absolutely no regrets)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jisforjosh posted:

I'll just keep buying every other generation (save for the time I went from a 970 to a 1080Ti which was absolutely no regrets)

That was my original plan until I ended up with a 3060ti instead of a 3080. I think I may do a high-end 4000 and then wait for the 6’s.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

jisforjosh posted:

That’s what I do as well, but still...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

When the low end cards are $300, is there still a low end?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people are being swayed by recency bias if they're predicting permanently elevated GPU prices
anyway if we really end up talking about chip supply issues a year from now, i'd be more worried about the broader economy

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would guess the next time we get comparably decent prices will also be around the next console launch tbh

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You will buy what is being offered at the price being offered by companies like good little capitalist cogs. Well like maybe atoms that make up the cogs, lets not get any ideas that you're significant.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also don’t forget that the lockdowns have elevated demand for computer stuff immensely between home office stuff, more time for gaming, and people having income that would have gone to trips and other stuff that they’ve been sitting on. It’s not a situation where it shows “oh, the market will always pay 2000 for a GPU” because the supply and demand is turbofucked in both directions right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CoolCab posted:

people tend to justify the cost of pc components in different ways given how essential a PC is right now, and although right this second this is untrue typically you can always go last gen - a 970 right now works a hell of a lot better than trying to run a ps5 game on a ps4. with that said i don't think these prices are at all sustainable and strongly suspect they were priced to keep the consoles at bay.

I have a 970 paired with a i5 6400, and while yes I can easily hit 30 fps most of the time, a lot of games struggle with 60 (and no FreeSync adaptive sync on a 970) so it doesn't end up being that big an advantage over a PS5*, especially since getting a good 30 fps experience on PC isn't always trivial.

(the biggest advantage is that it's an open platform, and I can play way older games or use emulators, or do a hundred other things).

*in so far as we're talking about PS4-ish games. PS5 can for sure run CP77 better than my pc could, even in BC mode (minus the crashes, maybe)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 28, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s dead now but this was a good deal.

Probably the best you are gonna be able to do right now tbh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

It’s dead now but this was a good deal.

Probably the best you are gonna be able to do right now tbh.

Lol, poo poo. Wish I had jumped on that. Coulda bought it, dropped the 3080 in the PC I have now, put the 3060ti in the Alienware, and sold it to at a minimum break even on the whole thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

people are being swayed by recency bias if they're predicting permanently elevated GPU prices
anyway if we really end up talking about chip supply issues a year from now, i'd be more worried about the broader economy

I have bad news for you: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...cks-11614020156

But don't worry, it's great for stocks. No way to say whether the shortages are a good or a bad thing!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lol, poo poo. Wish I had jumped on that. Coulda bought it, dropped the 3080 in the PC I have now, put the 3060ti in the Alienware, and sold it to at a minimum break even on the whole thing.

It lasted pretty much all of yesterday - prebuilts probably offer the best chance at a 3080 right now outside of having your own bots and playing the F5 lottery.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That prebuilt was a good price. There was an HP Omen one a while back with a 3090 for like 1700. I'm not in the US and we don't get deals like that on prebuilts, but if I were in the US, would have definitely jumped on that poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2021, when Alienware is the value option

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

2021, when Alienware is the value option
I was not ready for a gut punch like this, jesus christ.

I want off this goddamn ride.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

That prebuilt was a good price. There was an HP Omen one a while back with a 3090 for like 1700. I'm not in the US and we don't get deals like that on prebuilts, but if I were in the US, would have definitely jumped on that poo poo.

:thunk:

More than likely $2700 unless I'm really underestimating OEM pricing and bulk discounts when a $1700 computer has a $1500 MSRP GPU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

:thunk:

More than likely $2700 unless I'm really underestimating OEM pricing and bulk discounts when a $1700 computer has a $1500 MSRP GPU

Whoops! Yes I meant $2700! It was this one: https://slickdeals.net/f/14825563-omen-30l-desktop-gt13-0380t-with-rtx3090-gpu-2659

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I could have almost believed the 1700 dollar price, there’s deals on Omens sometimes that are bizarre. I got my i7-9700+2070S one for 1200 bucks a bit over a year ago. I literally couldn’t have built it for that cheap. Case was a bit small for upgrading to a 3 series so I just replaced the whole thing this winter but still, that’s a goddamn bargain. I could have sold the card out of it for that much right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Canna Happy posted:

:lol: like you'll be able to find a PS6 to buy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

When will I be able to purchase a 3080Ti by logging into my friendly online retailer of choice and clicking “buy now and deliver in a few days” ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wouldn't expect the 3080Ti until August-September at the earliest and probably Q1 2022 would be more realistic. I don't care what anyone says about April. They have no incentive to self-sabotage their most desired SKU.