Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

We have a fight card on Saturday. Shall we break it down?

Fight Night Rozenstruik vs Gane

Main Card ESPN+
:siren:Heavyweight Jairzinho Rozenstruik (+231) vs Ciryl Gane (-220)
Hey this is a good fight and a proper-rear end main event. This could have been a great co-main for any of the recent thin numbered cards. “Bigi Boy” Rozenstruik is a Surinamese striker with a 76-8 kickboxing record. He has a 5-1 UFC record and every single one of those fights has ended in violent-rear end KO, though he was literally 4 seconds to losing a decision to Overeem before permanently disfiguring poor Alistair. He dropped a 20 second KO loss to Ngannou but bounced back with a second-round KO of JDS in August.

Gane is a French kickboxer with a more diverse game. He’s 7-0 overall and 4-0 UFC. The intriguing thing with Gane is that even though he has a striking background, two of this three UFC finishes are by submission. In December he also secured a second-round KO of JDS which I’m re-watching as I type.

This is cool because Gane has the more diverse game and probably the more scientific striker, but Bigi Boy has the power advantage. The winner of this fight could conceivably be close enough to a title shot to be a late replacement if one is needed. I wouldn’t complain if the winner of this fight fought Lewis for a #1 contender spot, either (though Lewis is probably deserving as-is).

:getin:Light Heavyweight Nikita Krylov (+299) vs Magomed Ankalaev (-340)
gently caress yes sign me up for some Urasian violence. Krylov is a veteran at this point. He is on his second UFC stint, his first one running 2013-2016, and ending with Krylov requesting his own release so he could fight closer to home in Ukraine. He began as a heavyweight, actually, and his UFC debut vs Soa Palelei is an all-time great trashweight fight which everyone should watch at some point. Right now he’s 2-2 in this second UFC stint, most recently taking a decision from Johnny Walker in March. Note that the losses in this run are to a split decision to Glover and a submission to Jan so “2-2” doesn’t seem so bad. He’s a multiple-threat fighter, with wins by flaily KO strikes, and wins by scrambly submissions. He owns.

Anakalev is a Dagestani whose primary attack seems to be kickboxing. He’s on a 5-fight winning streak, most recently taking out Ion Cutelaba twice in a row (remember, Cutelaba claimed that he was “faking” being hurt and said the ref was dumb and pled early stoppage, and then in the rematch Ankalaev sent him to the loving land of wind and ghosts and probably seriously reduced Ion’s quality of life down the road). Anakalaev is the betting favourite in this one, but Krylov – a guy who has been in there with the current champ and multiple title contenders and who has a KO win over a top-ten heavyweight- is a big step up for him. Maybe Krylov is a value bet?

Flyweight Montana De La Rosa (+126) vs Mayra Bueno Silva (-130)
How does De La Rosa keep moving up on the fight cards while losing fights? She kinda sucks. She was scheduled for a December 5 fight but pulled out because her cornerman tested positive. This is what I wrote then I don’t like de la Rosa. I think she’s overrated and has bad fights. In her last fight she lost a decision to Viviane Araujo, but she’s 4-2 UFC. Silva is a contender series product who is 2-1 in the UFC. She lost a decision to Maryna Moroz. Yeesh. Though that won Fight of the Night so maybe it was ok. I don’t remember. She’s coming off of a win against an opponent who is like 1-5 UFC.

:siren:Bantamweight Pedro Munhoz (+133) vs Jimmie Rivera(-145)
This was rescheduled due to someone in someone’s camp testing positive, so here’s what I wrote a few weeks ago: Yeeeaaaahhh get the gently caress in. Munoz may have dropped a split decision to Frankie Edgar in a 5 round FOTN back in August, but that was a robbery. Munhoz won that fight. Before that he dropped a decision to current contender Aljamain SterlingHe has a KO win over Cody Garbrandt too, and his fights are fun. In fact, none of his UFC losses are to weak opponents. Rivera was looking at title contention when his 20-fight win streak ended at the intersection of his face and Marlon Moraes’s shin. Since then he has gone 2-2 with losses to current champ Petr Yan and Sterling. This is actually a rematch of a 2015 split decision that went Rivera’s way. Stylistically Munhoz is a brawler/puncher with a good guillotine. Rivera is a compact wrestler type who is willing to brawl too. Maybe I could describe him as a less-lovely Clay Guida? Someone help me out in describing Rivera’s style.

Strawweight Angela Hill (-345) vs Ashley Yoder (+309)
Angie is back with a short notice fight, and actually a rematch of a 2017 fight. In September she got robbed of a decision in a great fight vs Michelle Waterson, and before that she got robbed in a decision vs Claudia Gadelha. Don’t let Angie’s 12-9 record fool you – she started in the UFC with basically no pro experience, and has fought heaps of champs and title contenders from the get go. She’s a pretty fun kickboxer, and she’s a pro-follow on twitter. Lots of her fights are extremely good. Yoder is an 8-6 grappler with a 3-5 UFC record. I don’t like her that much, but at least I can say that she’s usually pretty game and she does fun gumbi-girl grappling. This is a tune-up fight for Angie, and an opportunity for Yoder.

:hmmyes:Featherweight Alex Caceres (-200) vs Kevin Croom (+180)
Caceres is another fighter whose record (17-12, by the way) doesn’t tell the whole story. He has been around for ages, making his debut via the TUF that was coached by GSP and Koscheck. Nobody would have thought then that “Bruce Leroy” would be a 24 fight UFC veteran, but here he is making that walk. His fights are almost always fun. Right now he’s on a 3-fight win streak after beating the crap out of young prospect Chase Hooper and RNCing Austin Springer in August. Croom is 21-12. He’s the hillbilly who came in as a one-day late replacement vs (probably now failed) prospect Roosevelt Roberts and scored a sudden guillotine upset. That was flipped to an NC :420:. Should be good. I think Caceres is undervalued here.

Prelims Also ESPN+
Lightweight Thiago Moises (+169) vs Alexander Hernandez (-185)
Both of these guys fought on the Oct 31 card and won, so I’ll just take what I took there. Hernandez exploded into the UFC with a massive 42 second upset KO of Dariush and a dominant win over Olivier Aubin-Mercier to follow it up. Since then he has gone 1-2, with TKO losses to Dober and Cerrone. Moisés is a 25 year old product of DWCS Brazil 3. He’s 22 in the UFC including a loss to Dariush and an Achilles Lock win over Michael Johnson in May. Hernandez KOed Chris Gruetzmacher, and Moises took a decision over Bobby Green.

Welterweight Alex Oliviera (+105) vs Ramzan Kuramagomedov (-112)
Brazilian Cowboy was supposed to fight Randy Brown. This doesn’t seem like a good change for him. Anyway Cowboy Olivieria is an anyone, anytime, anywhere journeyman and usually good, if not for a good fight, for some entertaining cheating. He has a section on Wikipedia called “Grenade attack on Christmas Eve 2018” and another “Incidents in May 2019.” He’s rangy, has good power, and an aggressive submission game. He is coming off of a first-round guillotine loss in October to a Khazakh super prospect. Kuramagomedov is making his promotional debut, too. He’s an 8-0 Russian who has lots of submission wins. This is a bad opponent switch for Oliviera. Oof.

Bantamweight Sabina Mazo (-200) vs Alexis Davis (+180)
Alexis Davis is still around! Good for her! She’s a WMMA pioneer/veteran who has been in some bloody-rear end brawls in Invicta and Strikeforce. She’s best known for her koshi guruma / scarf hold punches KO loss to Ronda Rousey, and her absolutely atrocious fight vs Cindy Dandois but she has just been around forever. Right now she’s on a three-fight losing streak at flyweight, and so here she’s moving back up. Mazo is a bantamweight who is also moving up (so maybe this is just at lazyweight?), a Colombian with a 3-1 UFC record, most recently with a submission of Justine Kish (and a loss to Maryna Moroz :wtc: has every woman on this card fought Maryna Moroz?)

Light Heavyweight William Knight (-105) vs Alonzo Menifield (-107)
Menifield is one of those dudes who had a lot of hype. He’s a contender series prospect. He’s blacksplosive. But then, you know the story, after getting some first-round KOs, his opponent made it to a second round and then Mennifield died. And then here OSP KOed him with a loving highlight reel shot from hell in September. In September I wrote Knight is an 8-1 contender series prospect making his big show debut, and all of his fights have ended in stoppage. He won that fight by UD and I don’t remember it.

Bantamweight Vince Cachero (+145) vs Ronnie Lawrence (-157)
I don’t know these guys but I’ll look at their tapology pages so you don’t have to. Lawrence: 6-1, American, DWCS September. Cachero, 7-3, 0-1 UFC. Has a 2019 loss to Casey Kenney.

:siren:Light Heavyweight Dustin Jacoby (-167) vs Maxim Grishin (+154)
I need a smilie that draws attention to a fight without seeming too excited. Dustin Jacoby might have an interesting story going that could be worth following, and this is a chance to get in near the ground floor. He had a 2011-12 UFC run where he lost to Clifford Starks and Chris Camozzi, and then he spent time in the hinterlands, taking a hiatus from the sport in 2015 after a bad run in Bellator. But then he won a Glory kickboxing tournament, and some weird B-league thing with boxing, kickboxing, and mma bouts. And then he fought his way back into the UFC via DWCS and won his debut in October via leg kick TKO. It’s a story, right? Grishin is a 31-8-2 Russian who KOed Antigulov in October after losing his UFC debut to Tybura at heavyweight in July. He’s a tough opponent. This is actually a good fight so I’ll just put a siren on it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
this is way too much grishing, far beyond maximum allowable levels

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
End of the round saved him there

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

End of the round saved him there

Yeah but I'm still cheerin' for him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Calf kicks causing problems.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder what solid technical advice is being offered in the corner between rounds?

"You need to knock him out."

Well, there you go.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

by the way the Snack Rating for this card is "pulled pork nachos"

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
I only caught the last 30 seconds of that fight, was that stoppage as bad as it seemed

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
Jerin Velel and very late stoppages. In other news, sky is blue and water is wet.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gently caress that ref, goddamn

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That 3rd round was just an rear end kicking in all forms

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Lawrence looks good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's see if I can remember who Ronnie Lawrence is for the next time that I give a preview of one of his fights.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy how the calf kick has become a key piece of so many fights in the last year or two.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Quite a back and forth. Wonder why she waited until end of the second to shoot

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Ouch sabina

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Hernandez is like CB Dollaway v2.0

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Seeing Hernandez get clowned warms my heart

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Let's go choom croom

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Just tuned in for the main card. Any must watches from the under card?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Eat This Glob posted:

Just tuned in for the main card. Any must watches from the under card?

Not really *edit* took out spoilers

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Noted. Thanks!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Croom looks weird as hell in that picture.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

Croom looks weird as hell
Want a rundown of all those tattoos.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Croom looks drunk

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
caceres owns. he looks so young!

edit: wtf he's 33

crepeface fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 28, 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Hollandia posted:

DogTroop (the troop that is a dog) is an interesting choice

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Croom seems like a good guy but he looks like Gaethje’s deadshit brother.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Is someone blackmailing Bisping to act excited or what

LOL time for a ranked opponent

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 28, 2021

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Is that staph on his collarbone

E:oh is a tattoo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hollandia posted:

the man's called "The Hard-Hittin' Hillbilly" for a reason

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

butros posted:

Is that staph on his collarbone

E:oh is a tattoo

I think it's the acid kiss scar from Fight Club

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Also what happened to Angie’s fight tonight?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Something vague related to covid protocols. They're trying to rebook it for March 13.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1365714905115017224

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

butros posted:

One of them got Covid I think?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ccubed posted:

I think it's the acid kiss scar from Fight Club

We don't talk about that, bruv

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

wilderthanmild posted:

One of them got Covid I think?

They are trying to reschedule mid-March so I think it’s a contact trace thing.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
That green hair dude out of jail?? Is that the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
these flurries are making me cum