Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Is the whole outrageous disk writes things only on machines with low RAM? This is my 16GB 1TB M1 Air that I got early/mid December. This is not something I've ever paid attention to so idea if that is ~normal~:

code:
SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x00
Temperature:                        21 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          99%
Percentage Used:                    0%
Data Units Read:                    4,175,155 [2.13 TB]
Data Units Written:                 3,726,517 [1.90 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 60,629,448
Host Write Commands:                49,496,873
Controller Busy Time:               0
Power Cycles:                       177
Power On Hours:                     44
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   3
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not enough hours to really tell..

On my old Mojave rig, right before I wiped it for Big Sur, my two year old Inland Premium 1 TB only had 20.2 TBW after 6,146 hours of power-on time (8 months or so.)

We'll see how well this holds up after I finish slapping Big Sur onto it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Is it possible to stop my 2019 16" from automatically booting when the lid is opened or the touchbar is brushed? I tried the old sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 and it doesn't seem to work any more.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this whole thing feels like the software parkinsons law. Software will grow to fill all hardware capability. We now have fast SSDs, so software is now build with that in mind (explicitly known or just as a byproduct) and does a lot of IO just because it's performant enough

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobHoward posted:

I admit I did not look at the spec. Still seems very unlikely for incompatibility to develop since so little has changed about how things communicate on the bus.

e: haven't found a place where the draft or release spec are posted to the public, but this PR:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/introducing-thunderbolt-4-universal-cable-connectivity-everyone/

says that TB4 "is fully compatible with prior generations of Thunderbolt and USB products."

Oh, I was thinking of the USB4 spec. 20201015 USB4 Spec (not thunderbolt 4) 2.1.5 on page 13 says "can optionally support interoperability with Thunderbolt 3 (TBT3) products"

I'll have to look up the tbt4 spec later, I bet you're right about tb4

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just to be on the safe side, I ordered and received a few of the CalDigit 0.8 meter Thunderbolt 4 cables.. sheesh the price went up a bit since I bought them..

As soon as I get my TB4 NVME enclosure from AliExpress that uses the newest Intel 7440 controller, I'll see if there's any speed difference between the supplied cable and the CalDigit..

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you outside of the return window? Sorry man but you're making me feel better about springing for a 16GB MBP which is on its way. Good to know I won't be hitting the swap too often.

I am, unfortunately. It's okay, I was always planning on trading in for the next generation anyhow and I've found that periodically restarting/killing Firefox and re-opening it really attacks the problem. 16bg is definitely the right decision though.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
As good of a deal as the 8GB seemed, I too have felt nothing but validated in my decision to go for a 16GB Air

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Let me tell you about the experience of trying to work with an Excel workbook that requires 4 GB of memory on an 8 GB M1 Mac.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Let me tell you about the experience of trying to work with an Excel workbook that requires 4 GB of memory on an 8 GB M1 Mac.

I’m actually curious about both the experience and what said Excel file is accomplishing. Like, I’m guessing it belongs in a proper DB?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I’m actually curious about both the experience and what said Excel file is accomplishing. Like, I’m guessing it belongs in a proper DB?

Probably. But I'm having to bolt on a bunch of automation functions that work off of a CSV export of a database to simplify some daily reporting for a short-term project and no one is going to be willing or able to put together a SQL database and rejigger all of the existing reporting that has been set up for something that will end in a couple of days.

The experience actually isn't that bad. Which I guess goes to show you how quick nvme storage has become since I've got an enormous page file.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 28, 2021

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I work in insurance and we've got a few excel files that can push that amount of memory, normally it is someone with a very casual knowledge of VBA doing a tool that has to sort through large amounts of data. there was a small group of us screaming for years that we just needed a 64-bit version of windows to fix our issues and they sent us new laptops loaded with 32-bit windows instead lmao.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if anyone is interested but I just put up my M1 16gb Pro in SA mart

Setset fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well a year later and I'm still daily driving a 2009 MBP17. It's not my only daily but its a legit daily.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Setset posted:

Not sure if anyone is interested but I just put up my M1 16gb Pro in SA mart

Wait are you from the future?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait are you from the future?

:confused:

Are you confusing 16gb with 16"?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Shaocaholica posted:

Well a year later and I'm still daily driving a 2009 MBP17. It's not my only daily but its a legit daily.

Ah. I like this.

I used an Early 2010 17" as my main workstation/desktop for quite a while, during a time in my life when I was moving around fairly often. It's a great form factor for such things. And all those ports. I also did a ton of Starcraft 2 laddering on it.

I still have it. Mostly these days I use it as a portable "big screen" and for a long while it was an Ableton laptop (maybe one day again).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh wow didn’t think you could run SC2 on a 2010 competitively especially with the mac build but then I don’t know poo poo about running SC2 I just watch troll games.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Starcraft 2 could run perfectly well on a potato when it came out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Lord Bude posted:

Starcraft 2 could run perfectly well on a potato when it came out.

I beg to differ I had a 1920x1200 core2 thinkpad and wings 1.0 was balls slow on low.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

:confused:

Are you confusing 16gb with 16"?

Good grief, yeah. Whoops.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with the keyboard replacement program? How willing are they to swap out keyboards and what has your experience with turnaround time been?

I have a 2018 retina Macbook Air that has had the double keystroke/sticking key issues for some time but it is becoming intolerable. I'm torn between having the keyboard replaced (or attempting to) or just trading it in for an M1 MBA.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kgibson posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the keyboard replacement program? How willing are they to swap out keyboards and what has your experience with turnaround time been?

I have a 2018 retina Macbook Air that has had the double keystroke/sticking key issues for some time but it is becoming intolerable. I'm torn between having the keyboard replaced (or attempting to) or just trading it in for an M1 MBA.

I have had it done a few times on a few different Macs. No questions asked. Usually have it back within a day or two, even if I mail it in. If you call apple support they will send you a fedex box to ship it in (for another $20)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kgibson posted:

I just got my 2018 rMBP replaced and it took 1-2 weeks with the delays due to Texas freezing over. It’s pretty easy: just get a chat dialog going through their iMessage thing and ask them to send you a box. Pack it up and drop it off somewhere and it’ll get back to your door probably the next week. When they delivered the laptop the label did explicitly say signature required though, but during COVID I think that just means the UPS guy needs to see someone open the door to get it rather than leaving it on the welcome mat.

There was no resistance of reluctance for it. They just asked if there was water damage and it’s it.

E: If you wanna upgrade to a M1 MBP, I’d still get the keyboard replaced because that comes with a new set of batteries cause it’s glued onto the top case which all needs to be swapped out. Then you could sell a MBA with a brand new battery and keyboard at least. I think trackpad too.

Bob Morales posted:

I have had it done a few times on a few different Macs. No questions asked. Usually have it back within a day or two, even if I mail it in. If you call apple support they will send you a fedex box to ship it in (for another $20)

They sent it to me free, not sure why they charged you.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: If you wanna upgrade to a M1 MBP, I’d still get the keyboard replaced because that comes with a new set of batteries cause it’s glued onto the top case which all needs to be swapped out. Then you could sell a MBA with a brand new battery and keyboard at least. I think trackpad too.

As I've said before, a new Top Case Assembly gets you a new keyboard, trackpad, battery, speakers, and microphone on 2016-2019 MBPs and 2018-2019 MBAs.

On 2020 MBPs the trackpad is a separate part.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks. Do you all know if there's any issue with having a firmware password set up? Do they need it to be bootable/accessible for testing of any sort?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just got my 2018 rMBP replaced and it took 1-2 weeks with the delays due to Texas freezing over. It’s pretty easy: just get a chat dialog going through their iMessage thing and ask them to send you a box. Pack it up and drop it off somewhere and it’ll get back to your door probably the next week. When they delivered the laptop the label did explicitly say signature required though, but during COVID I think that just means the UPS guy needs to see someone open the door to get it rather than leaving it on the welcome mat.

There was no resistance of reluctance for it. They just asked if there was water damage and it’s it.

They sent it to me free, not sure why they charged you.

Actually that last one where I had to pay was a straight up battery replacement for a 2015, not a keyboard. So that's probably why.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
I have a mid-2015 MBP which started experiencing intermittent keyboard issues a year or two ago (some keys not working). To fix that, IIRC it would have been something in the mid-$400s or higher.

Fortunately, the battery started officially failing shortly thereafter. And that repair was only $199. :D

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kgibson posted:

Thanks. Do you all know if there's any issue with having a firmware password set up? Do they need it to be bootable/accessible for testing of any sort?

They’ll tell you what to do before sending it in. IIRC, they’ll need you to disable find my Mac, turn off the firmware password, and turn off your admin account password. Last one is a bit ehhh, if you’re paranoid or have things that you can’t risk getting out I’d just clone the drive and reformat it before sending it out.

E: thinking about it sending an unencrypted and completely unlocked computer to someone is probably high on the list of things you should never do, even if the recipient is an Apple employee.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 2, 2021

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

They’ll tell you what to do before sending it in. IIRC, they’ll need you to disable find my Mac, turn off the firmware password, and turn off your admin account password. Last one is a bit ehhh, if you’re paranoid or have things that you can’t risk getting out I’d just clone the drive and reformat it before sending it out.

E: thinking about it sending an unencrypted and completely unlocked computer to someone is probably high on the list of things you should never do, even if the recipient is an Apple employee.

Makes sense. I'll probably end up just wiping it if that's the case.

I jumped on the chat with them a little while ago and requested a box to ship it back to them, so that ball is rolling. No mention in the chat of anything to do apart from making sure I had a backup, though they did ask for the admin username. Can't wait to get it fixed--it's kind of unreal to me how awful the keyboard has gotten!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kgibson posted:

Makes sense. I'll probably end up just wiping it if that's the case.

I jumped on the chat with them a little while ago and requested a box to ship it back to them, so that ball is rolling. No mention in the chat of anything to do apart from making sure I had a backup, though they did ask for the admin username. Can't wait to get it fixed--it's kind of unreal to me how awful the keyboard has gotten!

There’ll be a piece of paper in the box with instructions I think.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

There’ll be a piece of paper in the box with instructions I think.

Ah, got it. Thanks again for the info.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Oh, I was thinking of the USB4 spec. 20201015 USB4 Spec (not thunderbolt 4) 2.1.5 on page 13 says "can optionally support interoperability with Thunderbolt 3 (TBT3) products"

I'll have to look up the tbt4 spec later, I bet you're right about tb4
Yeah that's the usual USB-C supported feature crap which still continues with USB4. "TB3 is part of the USB4 spec! ...but it's totally optional so there's no guarantee a USB4 port will support TB."

As of TB's shift to USB-C with TB3 and becoming part of the USB4 standard, they've basically shifted messaging gears to say TB is the ultimate full featured USB-C port/cable, since the standard is such a shitshow with all the optional stuff. It can be anything from a low power only and/or USB 1 data to 40Gbps TB3 w/100W power.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh wow. Someone threw out a 15 inch 2011 MacBook Pro. i7, 8gb ram, dual GPU. Runs like a dream now that there's a cheapie SSD in it.

No metal support so I'm stuck on High Sierra. :saddowns:

Most of my casual use apps install. It's gonna be a sweet laptop to throw around the driveway when working on cars. :3:

Adds to my collection of other TrashBook Pros

2009 MacBook Pro 13 - Works perfect despite being in a coworkers house fire. The old battery door is so neat.
2010 MacBook Pro 13 - I bought this and abused this for a very long time.
2010 MacBook Air 11 - Someone tossed this for a ballooned battery. Still works ok after replacement. But a slight pain with a core2duo and outdated OS. Nvidia 320M drivers in Win10 is also a pain in the arse.
And the MacBook Pro 15 mentioned above.

Old beater aluminum MacBooks are so fun to throw around.

The rest of my machines (11, 13, 16) runnin' Biggie Sur.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of old Macs, here’s something I came across the other day. Remember how PowerMac G5s were used as Xbox 360 dev kits? Apparently the OS got dumped a while ago and can be run with the right G5 and particular set of parts:

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2019/01/21/power-mac-g5-sdk/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Speaking of old Macs, here’s something I came across the other day. Remember how PowerMac G5s were used as Xbox 360 dev kits? Apparently the OS got dumped a while ago and can be run with the right G5 and particular set of parts:

I wonder if MVG will do a video on this

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1368223357250899971?s=20

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Some people who used to program for the Apple //GS were able to get golden parachutes writing for the Super Nintendo, as both machines used the 65816 (the SNES running a variant produced by RICOH.)

Burger Bill (now Rebecca) Heineman made a board that let you use an Apple //GS to write / program SNES games, using //GS native tools like Merlin for assembly and ORCA / C for C stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

On top of that they disabled configuration so you're stuck with the standard build if you decide to throw away some money on one.

That means you can only get the 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Vega 56 with 8 GB HBM2 VRAM for the low low price of $5000..

Sure, the RAM and SSD are expandable after the fact, but only if you bring it in to a Fruit Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

On top of that they disabled configuration so you're stuck with the standard build if you decide to throw away some money on one.

That means you can only get the 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Vega 56 with 8 GB HBM2 VRAM for the low low price of $5000..

Sure, the RAM and SSD are expandable after the fact, but only if you bring it in to a Fruit Stand.

eh, probably fine for the school computer labs that still need matching grey imacs, which I imagine are the only places that would care about this