Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

cool av posted:

she was 92. she could have sold the property, perhaps to someone who wanted to live there, and lived it up for the rest of her life no?

this isn't really an easy choice for elderly good-faith landlords (like the one described you were referring to) because think of it this way: once you're past a certain age, and your income is fixed on social security, if you sell your property (which had a fixed cost, even if mortgaged/relatively slow-changing property tax rate, and some added supplemental income in this case which isn't a given but let's say it is) you now have a fixed sum of money, and (if you can't afford to outright buy a new property at a fixed rate, which we'll come back to) you're now at the mercy of changing rent because we have no rent controls that are worth a drat (at least in the US)

those mostly-unregulated rent changes (i.e. hikes by parasitic corporate landlords that you cannot afford on your fixed income, something as "small" as $50 a month means an extra $600 a year, and if your social security combined income for two people is $24k USD a year, that's pretty fuckin difficult to swing, especially when it happens again the next loving year but your social security only went up a whopping $3/month) those loving piss-poor-regulated rent changes can literally set you on a course for homelessness while you're already very old with all of the medical effects and general mental and bodily deterioration that comes with advanced aging. you're loving tired. all the time. and maybe you're taking care of your partner, so you're not just old you're still acting like a caretaker. it's insanely loving brutal, even if it doesn't sound like it, until you've seen daily care of a loved one by their partner or done it yourself, even for a short period of time.

so! with that lovely reality aside, let's say you're "only" forced to move and find a cheaper place. now you need to handle the logistics of moving your things, which you may be otherwise healthy (if you're lucky) but STILL just unable to physically move furniture. so now you need to have the money or social network to get people to help you move that aren't likely to just rip you off, if you even have anything worth stealing/depending on how lovely of a situation you're already surviving. plus now, we got a pandemic going on, so bonus difficulty! and even if you're already going into another property, you're now giving up your landlord income, so on top of all that other bullshit of finding a new property and getting the move pulled off (while you're so loving tired) you are now not as able to handle the adjustments of property taxes (or repair costs) over time, because your income has been further reduced by loss of the rental.

cool av posted:

she was 92. she could have sold the property, perhaps to someone who wanted to live there, and lived it up for the rest of her life no?

and that's all with the very loving lovely implication you made: "she's 92! she's gonna fuckin die soon! let the bitch fuckin sell the property to someone younger and she can go deal with all that poo poo, she'll be dead soon anyway!" alright, what about if she's 72? what then? just eat poo poo of stress for 20 more years, or still, gently caress em, gently caress the shortened life expectancy of all that stress? what's the age cutoff that makes the age not relevant to bring up here?? (not to call you out specifically cool av, I just want to highlight the very real cruelty that this kind of thought process reveals, conscious or not)

none of this is to say that i think it's great to be a landlord, I think housing should be a guaranteed right, it's loving monstrous to leave it to the market, it's bafflingly insane except for when you realize OH right it's one more way that capital can make people more precarious; you want that lovely future? or do you wanna have the money to maybe be a landlord? etc etc etc

tl;dr: gently caress everyone who thinks housing, healthcare, and food shouldn't be guaranteed rights, those people are very goddamn stupid and their beliefs cause untold amounts of damage through intensely stressful situations. they likely never spent extended time around elderly people and or are just garbage human beings with no empathy, because that's really what you're saying: you're fine with old people becoming homeless and just dying wherever, because you're a huge piece of poo poo, and you should feel bad or, OR, just unfuck your broken-rear end beliefs and accept that anything less than basic dignity as a human right, in the loving year 2021, means your country is a colossal shithole under the control of assholes who should be imprisoned, not in power.

but also I'd like a large jumbo jack, with cheese, and a diet coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The one UK chain owned by Walmart is renowned as being poo poo compared to Tesco and Sainsburys. They are just cleaner, better laid out and the staff don’t act like they want to shank you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BigPaddy posted:

and the staff don’t act like they want to shank you.

they still want to though

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I worked at Trader Joe's for about a year. It blew big time, I and my coworkers all had to work poo poo hours closing the store every single night cause deliveries come in daily. A friend of mine worked stocking beverages after close for a few years and his body is now all hosed up from the lifting. We had one dude who was ripped and very good at doing the overnight beverage stocking and everyone liked him but he got fired because he smoked weed before he came into work once.

Of course every time I talk to people who go to Trader Joe's they're always like "wow the employees seem so happy there!!" If you don't act friendly enough you get in major trouble though.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Tempora Mutantur posted:

but also I'd like a large jumbo jack, with cheese, and a diet coke

generally agreed -- it wasn't clear to me that the home she was renting out was also her own home. I don't think anyone should have to sell her own house and move, that's just a huge pain.

But just in general, the purchase of a property to make money on as a landlord must have a ROI measured in decades, and conversely the lump sum from selling is going to be more valuable in the short term.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

BigPaddy posted:

The one UK chain owned by Walmart is renowned as being poo poo compared to Tesco and Sainsburys. They are just cleaner, better laid out and the staff don’t act like they want to shank you.

99 Ranch best store!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Tempora Mutantur posted:

or are just garbage human beings with no empathy, because that's really what you're saying: you're fine with old people becoming homeless and just dying wherever

A lot of people here are explicitly maoist and have zero empathy for all landlords period full stop end of story op

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://motorsport.tv/embed/uDGKQaYS-nissan-rogue-crash-test

Dont buy a Nissan.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
the funniest thing about this is who the tweets are coming from

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1365671211817201668?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

Of course every time I talk to people who go to Trader Joe's they're always like "wow the employees seem so happy there!!" If you don't act friendly enough you get in major trouble though.

Yeah it's part of the cult like company brain washing that keeps the local liberal Karens returning.

Wow these people are so happy to have this job!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

at least the kids now know they are screwed from the beginning and are basically conditioned to get by however they can. the people who graduated into the one-two punch of the dot-com bust and us housing market/global financial meltdown were the generation who grew up indoctrinated with boomer bullshit about "just finish college and the jobs will come flying at you" and fantastic tales of lifetime employment with pensions, so when the rug was yanked everyone just looked around and said "ok, so what now?"

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Preen Dog posted:

You can measure air changes by CO2. More: "the rate of air changes is high by design, and the allegation that it's not is spurious". Whistleblowing on the man is awesome but try to make it credible.

I think the allegation is intended to get personal attention for his music career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cEpUq4mps&t=16s

what in tarnation

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Joey Steel posted:

Lidl for that matter as well.

True grocery heads know Lidl is the king

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if it’s any consolation the aldi scions are apparently huge shitstains desperate to become gawdy billionaire stereotypes, but are kept in check by the trust fund requirement for them not to be idiots, and are currently tearing each other apart in court over accusations that they’re embezzling the trust fund fortune anyway

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dolphin posted:

i own plot of land and I'm building a house on it with my own two hands. it's my covid project. the whole lumber price thing is really loving with my plans though

It's crazy. I'm building a detached garage and stud 2x4's are over 6 dollars.

The last time I bought studs a few years ago they were less than 2 dollars.

Sheesh.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

A lot of people here are explicitly maoist and have zero empathy for all landlords period full stop end of story op

little old ladies can be landlords until social security is increased to a level that can properly support them

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I always get a kick out of the fact that the Australian Woolworth has nothing to do with the original American chain, the guy who founded it realized that while the US Woolworth had a bunch of subsidiary chains in the UK and Europe, the brand wasn't trademarked in Australia yet so he filed the paperwork and poached the name for his own stores.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Back to back lost generations, high five everyone!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I always get a kick out of the fact that the Australian Woolworth has nothing to do with the original American chain, the guy who founded it realized that while the US Woolworth had a bunch of subsidiary chains in the UK and Europe, the brand wasn't trademarked in Australia yet so he filed the paperwork and poached the name for his own stores.

Back to back lost generations, high five everyone!

all generations are lost from now on

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

spacetoaster posted:

It's crazy. I'm building a detached garage and stud 2x4's are over 6 dollars.

The last time I bought studs a few years ago they were less than 2 dollars.

Sheesh.

If I had the space and needed a decent amount of dimensional lumber I’d seriously consider building a solar kiln and buy it wet

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hmmm i wonder if cspam is being psychotic freaks...

*checks thread*

not at all! Just pure normalcy today! nothing but normality from east to west haha :cheers:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ArfJason posted:

*checks thread*

not at all! Just pure normalcy today! nothing but normality from east to west haha :cheers:

Thanks for this, Arf

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Trader Joes loving sucks

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ArfJason posted:

*checks thread*

C-SPAM is a singular thread...? :thunk:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Trader Joes is pretentious Aldi with 30% higher prices. Same exact company, same exact food, but costs more, and is full of yuppies and has an indecipherable layout.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

MysteriousStranger posted:

99 Ranch best store!

Worst COVID compliance of all the stores I used to go to. Everyone packed like sardines, many masks off.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i swear to god, trader joe's is like if the movie idiocracy were actually in fact a documentary about grocery stores

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

bedpan posted:

Thanks for this, Arf

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i like posting normally and also being normal while i do so

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Trader Joes is pretentious Aldi with 30% higher prices. Same exact company, same exact food, but costs more, and is full of yuppies and has an indecipherable layout.

aldi is more straightforward, product wise. Trader Joe's has some really good gimmicky foods and better original frozen foods

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

one of the best things about texas is HEB

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

one of the best things about texas is HEB

:yeah: heb rules

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

oxsnard posted:

aldi is more straightforward, product wise. Trader Joe's has some really good gimmicky foods and better original frozen foods

You're right, TJ's is the only place I can find cum flavored truffles.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I have an aldi an heb a Mexican grocery and a Ranch 99 less than 10 minutes from my house, we pretty much cycle through them for our shopping needs

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
there's also an Indian market that someone built in an old fast food restaurant so you can go in to buy all sorts of crazy pastes and sauces or pick up a quart of paleek paneer or alogobi that they make there in the drive thru

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Dolphin posted:

i own plot of land and I'm building a house on it with my own two hands. it's my covid project. the whole lumber price thing is really loving with my plans though

have you considered domes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Trader Joe's is my go-to for white people food, like multi-syllabic cheeses, fruit jams, vegitable preserves, and human grade dog treats.

When it comes to grocery, the korean H Mart has been my gold standard. They got a lil old lady at the front who puts gloves on your hand when you enter the store. High quality experience.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

bedpan posted:

Thanks for this, Arf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_PPdjD6mg

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

howard edward butt

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Trader joes might be for yt people, but it still beats the depressing dehumanizing experience of a lot of chain groceries in the US

Where i used to live in new england, the major chain had these dystopian robots rolling around that were supposed to notify the workers when something was spilled but also may or may not have been recording/photographing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

thalweg posted:

Where i used to live in new england, the major chain had these dystopian robots rolling around that were supposed to notify the workers when something was spilled but also may or may not have been recording/photographing you

lol are you talking about stop & shop