Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dredd was a major 3D release right at the time people were getting really sick of them too (though it does look quite nice in stereo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Toodles posted:

Search party's whole thing incest thing. I get that it was going for different/millennial/weird/dark comedy but that came out of loving nowhere.

Uhh, you'll have to refresh my memory on this because I just watched all four seasons and definitely do not remember anything about this.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

Uhh, you'll have to refresh my memory on this because I just watched all four seasons and definitely do not remember anything about this.

The last two episodes and the parents of the Twink being brother/sister.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

The last two episodes and the parents of the Twink being brother/sister.

Oh right, I forgot about that part. I thought this was referring to something with the main characters for some reason, which I definitely didn't remember. Susan Sarandon was great as "both auntie and mummy".

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've rewatched Dredd on account of this thredd, and I have to say it's really excellent. The violence is over the top on a couple places, and I personally find psychic stuff in movies dumb in general but that's my problem, it's really well paced and everything is driving towards the credits. I think it might also be so good because it doesn't try to tie what's happening into some larger save-the-world type event, even with everything that happens it was just one random crime in the enormous city. I would have loved a sequel or a series or whatever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Inspector Hound posted:

I've rewatched Dredd on account of this thredd, and I have to say it's really excellent. The violence is over the top on a couple places, and I personally find psychic stuff in movies dumb in general but that's my problem, it's really well paced and everything is driving towards the credits. I think it might also be so good because it doesn't try to tie what's happening into some larger save-the-world type event, even with everything that happens it was just one random crime in the enormous city. I would have loved a sequel or a series or whatever.

I’m still mad all this Marvel & DC schlock gets endless sequels but this didn’t. Although I don’t know how well new fans would have dealt with Judge Death which I think was planned for a third movie...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think I would have dealt with it by seeing it over and over

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Inspector Hound posted:

That's the best thing about Dredd. It's just simply "another day" in the job. The apartment complex was just another apartment complex nothing more.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tom and Jerry is very dull but it is outstanding in how crazy bad the music doesn't fit anything

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Junkie Disease posted:

Tom and Jerry is very dull but it is outstanding in how crazy bad the music doesn't fit anything

That is so true. I caught it at the drive in today and that’s the #1 thing that stood out to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched the first 30 minutes while I was eating dinner and was mostly just confused as to why it exists.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's the best thing about Dredd. It's just simply "another day" in the job. The apartment complex was just another apartment complex nothing more.

I just wished they'd leaned a little harder into Dredd as a violent arm of the fascist state. I spent most of the movie thinking/hoping that it would turn out that the drug Ma-Ma was peddling was just caffeine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dig the movie, but yeah I was definitely expecting/hoping for some kind of fascist twist at the end. I knew that the source material was a police state satire so I assumed that would be a more prominent element somehow. I like what we got, but it wasn't much deeper than a really well made, stylish film about a couple of cops busting a drug ring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you don't need a twist for cops to be fascist v:shobon:v

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I don't think that would work with the structure of the movie, which has very little character development and thematic depth. It is tightly focused on delivering action around one location.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I mean, his job is walking up to people and going "INNOCUOUS BEHAVIOR... THREE YEARS IN ISOCUBES... GUILTY" before he shoots them in the head in slow motion, and he's wearing a terrifying mask the whole time, what could the twist have even been? I think it's almost like Starship Troopers, where the twist is that the way things are described, it's not great but it's the way things have to be, and everyone does their job with dignity and is courageous in their own way. Then you see it, and the reality is a hobo being threatened by the murder cops before the apartment building lockdown door squishes him, or Judge Dredd getting ready to jail/kill the hacker guy Ma Ma was holding captive. Maybe the twist is that by the end, you're looking for a twist, because the horror all seems completely status quo dun dun DUUUUUUUN

Judakel posted:

I don't think that would work with the structure of the movie, which has very little character development and thematic depth. It is tightly focused on delivering action around one location.

Also this, it's like Speed

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you don't need a twist for cops to be fascist v:shobon:v

Well, yeah it's a movie with cops as the protagonists so it's inherent. The "three years in isocubes" stuff isn't any significant extension beyond how cops behave in the real world so I don't consider that to have much satirical weight. Based on the comic's reputation I was expecting some gross exaggeration of and commentary on real-world issues, but I guess that's tough when real-world police behavior is already a grossly exaggerated version of what it purports to be.

Really I was just expecting a coda to do with how the police state consciously creates or directly benefits from creating the conditions as seen in the block tower (beyond the direct real-world systemic analogues). I guess I just wanted it to make a commentary on those ideas rather than just accurately depicting them.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 27, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

Really I was just expecting a coda to do with how the police state consciously creates or directly benefits from creating the conditions as seen in the block tower (beyond the direct real-world systemic analogues). I guess I just wanted it to make a commentary on those ideas rather than just accurately depicting them.

I don’t know that the source material ever gets into that. Judge Dredd started as an over-the-top satire of Dirty Harry/Death Wish/Reagan/Thatcher tough-on-crime vigilante justice turned up to 200% and made completely legal. The main commentary is probably that this system doesn’t work, does nothing to combat the root causes of societal issues, and utterly tramples on the freedoms of average citizens along the way.

Of course, this comic has been running for 40 years and I’ve only read a portion of it, so maybe some of the later stories get into the Justice Department being more nefarious.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Son is a good horror movie about escaping a cult in pursuit. It's on Google Play.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The trailer left me cold, but we gave it a shot anyway — and Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar was a delight. I'm very happy that the trailer didn't spoil what an unexpectedly weird, dark, loving and very stupid movie it was going to be.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 27, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

anatomi posted:

The trailer left me cold, but we gave it a shot anyway — and Barn and Star Go to Vista Del Mar was a delight. I'm very happy that the trailer didn't spoil what an unexpectedly weird, dark, loving and very stupid movie it was going to be.

Yeah, it wasn't the follow up to Bridesmaids that I was hoping for, but it was certainly fun.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Based on the comic's reputation I was expecting some gross exaggeration of and commentary on real-world issues

At the time the comic was released, it was a gross exaggeration.

Reality has caught up

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

veni veni veni posted:

I watched the first 30 minutes while I was eating dinner and was mostly just confused as to why it exists.

I figured it's like Jon Peters' giant mechanical spider. If an executive likes something enough, it'll eventually get made, whether it needed to or not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I really dig the movie, but yeah I was definitely expecting/hoping for some kind of fascist twist at the end. I knew that the source material was a police state satire so I assumed that would be a more prominent element somehow. I like what we got, but it wasn't much deeper than a really well made, stylish film about a couple of cops busting a drug ring.
I haven't read it but from what I've heard the comic varied wildly in terms of things like this and probably was only a police state satire at some points during its run.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The tone of Dredd comics can definitely vary- there are some that are very over-the-top in their satire and where Dredd himself barely features (Requiem for a Heavyweight is one example, it's about illegal eating contests) and there are others that are more straight action with a dystopian background.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ChickenMedium posted:

I just wished they'd leaned a little harder into Dredd as a violent arm of the fascist state. I spent most of the movie thinking/hoping that it would turn out that the drug Ma-Ma was peddling was just caffeine.

This is why the juvie cubes thing was so controversial during its release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Dredd and Karl Urban is fantastic in just about everything, but I don’t think you can do any kind of Dredd continuation now without making the fascist aspect way more blatant and obvious than any studio is going to be comfortable with.

I think the best you can hope for in that MegaCity One tv show they’re making is something like what we already got, with Dredd being upheld as a Good Cop and coming into conflict with other corrupt cops.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think the best you can hope for in that MegaCity One tv show they’re making is something like what we already got, with Dredd being upheld as a Good Cop and coming into conflict with other corrupt cops.

Bring back Almost Human

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fartington Butts posted:

Bring back Almost Human

God, I wish. I loved that weird show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone watch The Bridge on HBO Max? It’s a UK reality show where a bunch of mainly twenty somethings need to build a bridge to an island in order to win 100K. It’s terrible. It can’t decide whether it wants to be inspirational or cutthroat and the rules change arbitrarily from episode to episode.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

It’s terrible. It can’t decide whether it wants to be inspirational or cutthroat and the rules change arbitrarily from episode to episode.

So what you're telling me is that it's a UK reality show :j:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The UK is absolutely next level in regards to reality show trashiness. They have prime time shows like this one that I think is called "disgusting bodies" where they'll just have some fat guy with his tiny dick rotting off and they will spend the whole show zooming in on his fungus dick while he lurches around the house. And another called "naked attraction" which is like a dating show but they reveal different body parts and they eliminate people by looking at their vaginas/butts or whatever.

Both shows include factoids and doctors talking in between segments and I think they want to be perceived as "educational" hahaha.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Dredd and Karl Urban is fantastic in just about everything, but I don’t think you can do any kind of Dredd continuation now without making the fascist aspect way more blatant and obvious than any studio is going to be comfortable with.

At some point you also run into the issue of not making it an absolute slog to watch too, even on top of a studio getting cold feet at pointing out cop problems. 90-120 minutes of over the top fascism would be pretty brutal and I'd be afraid that you'd end up with an interesting movie that only film nerds cared about.

I think the movie did a decent job by highlighting the relative indifference of it all though. And there were some light attempts to draw parallels between Dredd/the Judges and Ma-Ma. I'd have to rewatch it to remember them all, but the speeches mirror one another and there's "something" to how her slo-mo death ends with the blood making the Dredd "X" over her face to match his helmet. There's tons of collateral damage and it's pretty clear that Dredd's only goal is busting the drug ring regardless of how many people get killed. It ties well into how it's just a day in the job. Nothing changes and the system rolls on.

They probably could have used a little more of the outright satire though. The cleaning truck nonchalantly mopping up the blood in the food court as the temporary closing announcement was read out did a pretty good job of setting up the universe.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

The UK is absolutely next level in regards to reality show trashiness.

What's funny is that American television used to get all the credit for "ruining television" when basically ever terrible idea they had they just took from us

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

At some point you also run into the issue of not making it an absolute slog to watch too, even on top of a studio getting cold feet at pointing out cop problems. 90-120 minutes of over the top fascism would be pretty brutal and I'd be afraid that you'd end up with an interesting movie that only film nerds cared about.

I think the movie did a decent job by highlighting the relative indifference of it all though. And there were some light attempts to draw parallels between Dredd/the Judges and Ma-Ma. I'd have to rewatch it to remember them all, but the speeches mirror one another and there's "something" to how her slo-mo death ends with the blood making the Dredd "X" over her face to match his helmet. There's tons of collateral damage and it's pretty clear that Dredd's only goal is busting the drug ring regardless of how many people get killed. It ties well into how it's just a day in the job. Nothing changes and the system rolls on.

They probably could have used a little more of the outright satire though. The cleaning truck nonchalantly mopping up the blood in the food court as the temporary closing announcement was read out did a pretty good job of setting up the universe.

They also have a side-plot with the family of one of Ma-Ma's goons that show that at least some of her henchmen have essentially been forced to join the the gang against their will, but are gunned down nonchalantly by the Judges none-the-less.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

They even had crooked Judges show up and try to kill Dredd. Dredd doesn't even stop to consider that the power a Judge wields is being corrupted he just keeps on murdering and blowing poo poo up.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
That's the power of dredd: when he realizes that the only way forward is to kill cops, he does so without hesitation

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

That's the power of dredd: when he realizes that the only way forward is to kill cops, he does so without hesitation

Dredd (2012) as copagenda is fascinating precisely because of moments like this. We need good murder-cops to protect us from the bad murder-cops, it's a mini-repeat of Magnum Force. Oh sure Dirty Harry is a hyperviolent person who violates the law and leaves nothing but dead bodies in his wake, but look at these worse cops who don't share his virtues *waves hands*

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Edit: Eh wrong thread. NVM.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Double-post, but to fix my post above. I totally forgot about Domnhall Gleeson being in Dredd. He’s been in a bunch of real good poo poo. And is even animatroniced at two Disney parks.