Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We repair medical equipment and have a foundation that works with developing countries to refurbish, donate, and deploy still useful medical equipment. It is pretty drat cool and made me really appreciate my job when my daughter had to go in for an IV a couple of years ago; I knew our company’s sticker was on that piece of equipment. I feel good about what we do in the world, especially with what we have been doing to assist with COVID response in the last year.

I lucked into this place and have one more year left before I’m vested, so we’ll see how flexible my morals are come next interview time.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do things outside of work to make the world a better place. Also do labor organizing inside work so you can tell your bosses to get hosed.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 26, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Do things outside of work to make the world a better place. Also do labor organizing inside work so you can tell your bosses about to get hosed.

In 1 year, my union has changed their tune from "WFH is bad and you're all lazy" to "WFH mandatory or strike rah rah rah" lol

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Matt Zerella posted:

All Companies Are Bad

even nonprofit charities where the C-suite gets 6-7 figgies are trash.

I've thought about the implications of compensation in a non-profit working for one myself. The place I work at is great, and is a cause I care about a lot, so just the idea of my getting a compensation bump feels almost wrong to me, because I take a strong stance in stressing that every dollar wasted on something unnecessary is money that could instead be furthering our cause. (mostly in the context of using technology to increase efficiency in our processes) My personal resolution to this problem is that instead of thinking about totals in a vacuum, you need to compare them to market rate. Working in anything but a corrupt money-funneling non-profit means that you'll automatically be working below market rate, from a mix of both people are more willing to accept lower compensation to work somewhere doing social good, and that money is at a much higher premium for allocation.

I believe so long as I'm kicking myself in the rear end to contribute very high amounts of tangible value to my organization, I'm okay with being paid relatively well so long as its still significantly below market rate for people producing similar value. I think the same thing applies for CEOs. They should absolutely be paid significantly less than their relative market value, but if someone is the CEO of a giant multinational nonprofit as an example, them being paid in the upper six or lower seven figgies sounds more reasonable for the relative responsibility they have to take and the value they're expected to contribute to their cause. (so long as they deliver on it)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My goal is to corrupt evil organizations from the inside by doing as little as for as much money as possible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LochNessMonster posted:

My goal is to corrupt evil organizations from the inside by doing as little as for as much money as possible.

This is the way.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Matt Zerella posted:

This is the way.

This has also become my philosophy.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I work for an organization largely seen as good but its actually pretty bad in the grand scheme of things.

because of its cache ive gotten a lot of offers that i have turned down on political stuff i dont believe in, defense contractors, anything that requires a security clearance, and once, an Israeli cybersecurity company that very creepily specifically targeted me.

I feel privileged to do so for sure and I've turned away going from "a good living wage for the area" to "maxing all of your retirement accounts" to maintain that integrity.

That said the job I interviewed for today is in the private sector. Nothing awful or anything but i'm definitely ready to get paid to make someone else money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Matt Zerella posted:

All Companies Are Bad

even nonprofit charities where the C-suite gets 6-7 figgies are trash.

Haha, its not even about the comp although the greed to also get big figures from the comp grows every year. More of the issue is how they spend the money once they have it. They share that money with friends and family through nepotism positions. They throw parties, fund travel, and pay out to vendors who are just money laundering in disguise by to themselves. Its the same poo poo that CEO's do to extract even more company money in the non-profit sectors, its just also used even more so in the non-profit.

The hospital group I work for , the ownership group also owns non-profits. Its essentially a tax break they can funnel their money into (and back into their own pockets) while also grifting the gently caress out of people thinking they are doing a good thing.

In the end, be extremely careful who you give your charitable donations to as trying to not fund rich people's vacations is extremely hard in these areas.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always get a chuckle out of people who talk about running the government like a business as if its a good thing.

I've worked for plenty of corps that have C level employees who spend money on the dumbest things. Like $50k presentations for 200 employees, private plane trips across country to attend some meeting and get back home to the west coast an hour earlier than a commercial flight, buying dumb decorations for their office, etc.

Human green and stupidity are unfortunately not relegated to one single industry.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I always get a chuckle out of people who talk about running the government like a business as if its a good thing.

I've worked for plenty of corps that have C level employees who spend money on the dumbest things. Like $50k presentations for 200 employees, private plane trips across country to attend some meeting and get back home to the west coast an hour earlier than a commercial flight, buying dumb decorations for their office, etc.

Human green and stupidity are unfortunately not relegated to one single industry.

I got me a story that's pretty funny in that string of thought.

A company I worked for went through a large period of expansion, enough so they decided to move out of one building and purpose built a floor in an upscale office building. We[IT and some contractors] kitted out two huge fancy meeting rooms. Like full fancy A/V and presentation suite, phone conferencing, fancy tables and chairs, snacks/water section, easily five to six figures in cash alone not to mention man power to set it up.

The sales team, in their infinite wisdom decided to have off site internal meetings at the hotel conference center in the office park, because they gave you beer tickets for doing that, on the company dime. Finance found out and told them to knock it off and stop spending money on stupid poo poo.

Sales decided to ignore them and ended up doing it another three or four times, which ended up with Finance telling the CEO about it, which ended up with sales getting their corporate card revoked and being told that any extraneous expenditures must be approved far in advanced or they will have to pay for it themselves and risk not being reimbursed for stupid poo poo. This expanded to their IT tickets, in which all purchases made by sales personel where to be routed through finance first.

Personally I don't know why anyone didn't get fired over that kinda crap.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's far more pernicious than that.

A corporations goal is to offer the least service or good for the most amount of money.

A governments goal is to offer the most service or good for the least amount of money.

There is no middle ground, you either strive to achieve one or the other.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

EoRaptor posted:

It's far more pernicious than that.

A corporations goal is to offer the least service or good for the most amount of money.

A governments goal is to offer the most service or good for the least amount of money.

There is no middle ground, you either strive to achieve one or the other.

I don't think the government goal is at all reality. The government goal is for those in leadership positions to take bribes in order to funnel that money into those that bribe them. The government gets so little back for each dollar spent and that is part of the plan.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Sickening posted:

In the end, be extremely careful who you give your charitable donations to as trying to not fund rich people's vacations is extremely hard in these areas.

This is also extremely true. I'm disinclined to trust any non-profit that's operated by a for-profit company or extremely rich person/group. There's still a certain amount of schmooze that needs to happen with donors, and I'm not going to pretend that donor nepotism isn't a thing, but being fully independent and getting most of our cash flow from county reimbursements for the services we provide really keeps it from becoming one of those nonprofits. Our administrative expenses percentage is like one percent below the lowest bracket range in the rating system used by a major nonprofit rating site.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I work for the Illuminati. No problems with it. Decent healthcare. Bonus structure based upon coups and presidents we control.

The zoom meetings are weird when we have to do our enactments and praise the owl god but other than that I got no complaints. I’ve even got a spot reserved in the end of world bunker.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

I work for the Illuminati. No problems with it. Decent healthcare. Bonus structure based upon coups and presidents we control.

The zoom meetings are weird when we have to do our enactments and praise the owl god but other than that I got no complaints. I’ve even got a spot reserved in the end of world bunker.

Are you guys hiring?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Are you guys hiring?

The initiation rights get really freaky.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Freaky is fine. can you also do funky and fresh?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mattfl posted:

If you're currently a nurse look into your hospitals Clinical Informatics department. At least in my hospital org they are kinda IT adjacent in that they are more on the clinical side of the IT department.

Hughmoris posted:

This is more or less what I've been doing for the past 5 years. :hfive:

I had my fill of bedside care in the ICU so pursued a gig in clinical informatics, and now I'm doing application analyst work for a health system. If you have clinical knowledge and you're looking for technical work, clinical informatics is a great first step.

Sounds interesting! I’ll check it out!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know a lot of this thread tends towards money over morals, but please do not work for a defense contractor. I have. I quit because of the morals issue.

Yeah I was a medic and a nurse in the military and I loving haaaaate the military, so that’s a big drawback for me just on personal reasons alone. The place where I’d be working i would probably just be supporting shipbuilding operations so relatively minor as far as morals go for military jobs but I’d rather not if I have a choice.

bus hustler posted:

I work for an organization largely seen as good but its actually pretty bad in the grand scheme of things.

because of its cache ive gotten a lot of offers that i have turned down on political stuff i dont believe in, defense contractors, anything that requires a security clearance, and once, an Israeli cybersecurity company that very creepily specifically targeted me.

I feel privileged to do so for sure and I've turned away going from "a good living wage for the area" to "maxing all of your retirement accounts" to maintain that integrity.

That said the job I interviewed for today is in the private sector. Nothing awful or anything but i'm definitely ready to get paid to make someone else money.

Don’t answer but is it THAT Israeli “cyber security” company?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

jaegerx posted:

The initiation rights get really freaky.

We have Win98 running in prod. I doubt some "freaky" initiation rite would faze me.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Antigravitas posted:

We have Win98 running in prod. I doubt some "freaky" initiation rite would faze me.

Industrial equipment? Some fabrication machine that the company refuses to pay for an upgrade on software? I gotta know why.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

:catstare: 35?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shut the front door

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you guys serious right now?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I never picked up on that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I never picked up on that.

ditto

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You're joking, right? You were today years old when you learned it just like the rest of us

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Just lol at all these youths who didn't learn this stuff from a print magazine in the 90s.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Just lol at all these youths who didn't learn this stuff from a print magazine in the 90s.

i only read pc gamer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

look, gramps,

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

look, gramps,

I’ve got some firmware for you. Not hardware. You just don’t do it for me anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:pusheen:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

You're joking, right? You were today years old when you learned it just like the rest of us

No, but seriously I'm just surprised.

CLAM DOWN posted:

look, gramps,

Look, there's no way I'm older than the average here. We all learned to put two spaces after a period. Right...?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Industrial equipment? Some fabrication machine that the company refuses to pay for an upgrade on software? I gotta know why.

Close. Electron Microprobe.

You can't get an upgrade because the vendor won't upgrade. It's the same story with all our ancient software. Vendors don't give a gently caress.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I know IT is always given a hilarious bad portrayal in media but this latest episode of the good doctor makes me want to scream with how it depicts methods of fighting a cyber attack.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I know IT is always given a hilarious bad portrayal in media but this latest episode of the good doctor makes me want to scream with how it depicts methods of fighting a cyber attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Why didn’t you post hackers scenes? That’s why clam down got into infosec. He was an aol hacker.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Two idiots one keyboard is the best depiction of antihacking in media and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

It's either that, or the vendor is out of business and there's no upgrade path. Research is doing their Win10 migration this year, and I expect to have 250-400 2000, XP, and Win 7 boxes left at the end of the year. We're praying the networked segmentation PoC goes well, or I'm breaking out the epoxy.