Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

happyhippy posted:

Series 9 does not exist. It never existed.
Whatever you saw must have been some cosplay fan fiction writers

To prove this point, when I read the post my brain thought he meant Back to Reality, and was confused. Because yes, season 9 does not exist. (And I’m so glad I never got beyond the first non-existent episode). Everything since has been pretty good fun, which was such a relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Back to Reality is really really good.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I've always thought that Thanks for the Memory was a really great early Red Dwarf episode - maybe not the funniest but really well plotted. Thinking about it now, it's almost like a mirror image of one of my favourite Sci-Fi films, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both have a non-chronological structure and deal with similar themes of memory and relationships - but showing that adding memories could be as damaging as removing them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Heavy_D posted:

I've always thought that Thanks for the Memory was a really great early Red Dwarf episode - maybe not the funniest but really well plotted. Thinking about it now, it's almost like a mirror image of one of my favourite Sci-Fi films, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both have a non-chronological structure and deal with similar themes of memory and relationships - but showing that adding memories could be as damaging as removing them.

Season 1 and 2 are some good Sci Fi. A bit more like the books are and a bit less like 3-6.
This isn't to say 3-6 are worse or anything it's just a really different feel for them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Heavy_D posted:

So good TNG ripped it off wholesale 2 years later!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So good TNG ripped it off wholesale 2 years later!

I'll be fair and say it's not an uncommon concept. I can imagine Grant/Naylor reading the same sci-fi magazines as the people who wrote TNG, you know?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have been watching Elizabeth R (1971) on BBC4. They're putting it on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033w6j5

you just don't get no-bullshit TV like that anymore :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Watching Red Dwarf I was really impressed by how much of a good scifi show it can be and also that it had an overarching plot sort of.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was a proper sitcom in that it was very strong on the situation part. Details of the setting sometimes changed in response to the episodes, but it didn't really matter much because the essential situation - a small cast of idiots stuck together for eternity in a box in space - was always the same.

They had a lot more wiggle room for set dressing than is offered by "a family who live in a house".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of Truth Seekers a while ago and though it was pretty bad, and incredibly dated.

I didn't get that at all, but seeing as it was cancelled I'm willing to believe I'm in the minority. Malcolm McDowell plays an excellent weird father, and was a truly pleasant surprise.

e: spoilered in case anyone else wants the surprise.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Tonight my wife revealed my birthday present: over the last two months she, my daughter and the members of another family have been recording Taskmaster tasks that she compiled. We all got together tonight for some Zoom board games, but then she did the big reveal. We all watched the tasks (for the first time for everyone but her) and I had to assign points.

The tasks:
- tear up the task without using your hands. Most pieces wins. You have 30 seconds. Your times starts now
- write a story using exactly 50 words, best story wins
- choreograph a dance to your ringtone
- sort multicolored goldfish crackers into bowls by color using only these tools, by mouth: toothpick, dry spaghetti, toothbrush, candy cane

It was great. She even did the smash cuts between the different people reading the tasks at the beginning. Ran out of time for a proper soundtrack, but I won't hold it against her. I think we're gonna polish it up just a little and put it on DVD for the other family.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That’s so cool. We did a little one over Zoom for someone’s birthday the other week. I only did studio tasks though so folk did it in front of their cameras and then we judged. Tasks came from the book.

I did my camera and audio through OBS so I could play task music and also made an animation for the tasks and a little envelope. Almost printed them out and posted them out with fake seals on.

Always make the extra effort, guys. It’s worth it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That is such a lovely thing to do. I'm definitely stealing it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of Truth Seekers a while ago and though it was pretty bad, and incredibly dated. This and the awful movie Paul convinced me that Frost and Pegg basically live in some kind of bubble where the 90s never ended. Without Edgar Wright I really don’t rate them.

On a similiar note I went back and tried to watched Spaced a while back, it's not aged terribly well I have to say.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

On a similiar note I went back and tried to watched Spaced a while back, it's not aged terribly well I have to say.

I haven’t watched Spaced in a while either, but I’d be much more forgiving for it in that regard. It was incredibly of its own time. It captured the zeitgeist of that period very well. I can’t fault it for having extended Matrix homages because that movie literally came out the year before. Unlike Truth Seekers which feels like it’s trapped in the same zeitgeist which is now long dead.

Though Spaced probably has some transphobic jokes or thoughtless racism in it that I’ve forgotten, because it seems like everything made back then does.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It has some things certainly that does not look good now in these changed times, but at least those involved (I hope anyway) are not angry defending some of the unfortunate bits with it.

Some solid quotes still, the Jaffa Cakes one rings true sadly despite their reduction in size and amount.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

I haven’t watched Spaced in a while either, but I’d be much more forgiving for it in that regard. It was incredibly of its own time. It captured the zeitgeist of that period very well. I can’t fault it for having extended Matrix homages because that movie literally came out the year before. Unlike Truth Seekers which feels like it’s trapped in the same zeitgeist which is now long dead.

Though Spaced probably has some transphobic jokes or thoughtless racism in it that I’ve forgotten, because it seems like everything made back then does.

You know what I find makes me uncomfortable watching older stuff? The attitude to women.
Watching seinfeld especially I see it, it's so weird now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

You know what I find makes me uncomfortable watching older stuff? The attitude to women.

women!!! :rolleyes:

*audience goes wild*

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I just watched the Good Life and was surprised how well it did with that. Kind of refreshing to see a sitcom where the main married couple actually like each other and have fun together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taear posted:

At least with Seinfeld we see George and Jerry completely unable to hold down a happy relationship too. They don't come across as a player like Joey was, just a bit sad and in need of therapy.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Comrade Fakename posted:

spoilers for transphobic refs, not that anyone might have the plot ruined 20+ years later.

there is the David Walliams guest star episode (what is it with that guy) which uses his character Vulva Brian's mockingly described as "non-gender-specific-ex-chaste-heterosexual-lover" as the butt of the jokes.
a bit cringe. even if generously thinking they did at least try a bit to have Tim presented as the twat for his closed minded attitude in that episode, it doesn't really work and it's too easy to read it as his voice being the author's voice when he says things like big fat tranny.
also the running joke of Marsha abusing Brian with a sex-for-rent arrangement.

otherwise, it's mostly just dated with all the pop-culture references like robot wars or the x-files that unless you've nostalgia for that late 90s / early 2000s period just won't be funny. but for me I still rewatch it now and again and enjoy all that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As much as I enjoy Simon Pegg, Tim is the sort of character these days that is the butt of many comedy jokes and bad politics.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I still like Spaced (though the transphobic episode is quite bad), especially for my main man Tires and the clubbing episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah it still has some grand moments despite the aging process. That whole Paintball episode.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The Spaced DVD was pretty much on repeat during my and my friends teenage weekly weed and shroom binges, so it will forever hold a place in my heart.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even about 10 years ago when rewatching Spaced, it definitely felt like it had dated too much and I gave up. The shortfalls of purposely making something that is very much set at a particular time, though.

Still would like another season, mind!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd be happy with an hour long reunion special, even if just a Podcast or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least with Seinfeld we see George and Jerry completely unable to hold down a happy relationship too. They don't come across as a player like Joey was, just a bit sad and in need of therapy.

Watch season 1, it's so bad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine watching something like Men Behaving Badly, or even something like DtDD.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

Imagine watching something like Men Behaving Badly, or even something like DtDD.

Weird, I was considering bringing up Men Behaving Badly too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

I've watched both relatively recently, they're Okay.
I think it's because what's going on there is expected if that makes sense, it doesn't seem as bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taear posted:

Ah yeah those episodes I never really had any desire to go back to for sure. I’ll definitely take your word for it!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

spoilers for transphobic refs, not that anyone might have the plot ruined 20+ years later.

there is the David Walliams guest star episode (what is it with that guy) which uses his character Vulva Brian's mockingly described as "non-gender-specific-ex-chaste-heterosexual-lover" as the butt of the jokes.
a bit cringe. even if generously thinking they did at least try a bit to have Tim presented as the twat for his closed minded attitude in that episode, it doesn't really work and it's too easy to read it as his voice being the author's voice when he says things like big fat tranny.
also the running joke of Marsha abusing Brian with a sex-for-rent arrangement.

otherwise, it's mostly just dated with all the pop-culture references like robot wars or the x-files that unless you've nostalgia for that late 90s / early 2000s period just won't be funny. but for me I still rewatch it now and again and enjoy all that.

Lol I knew there was something I’d forgotten!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

Yeah it’s obviously worse than the rest, but still has a couple of spectacular episodes.

Seinfeld though is probably the least guilty of being dated of any sitcom. It’s characters are all obviously flawed, take the piss out of themselves, are presented as dumber and less reasonable than the women they date.

Curb your enthusiasm is current, and some episodes of Seinfeld could easily be inserted in there without issue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
On the other hand, Mrs Brown's Boys won't age badly as it started out as awful trash in the first place...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
A friend of mine is relistening to the old Gervais and merchant xfm shows and he has said they've aged really badly. Merchant has a visceral hatred of the homeless, as well as fat people, and for several weeks there is a debate where Karl is arguing that there should be seperate toilets for gay men.

I think social attitudes have axtually progressed a lot in just a couple of decades, more so than we realise, so the comedy of our childhood is becoming as problematic as those in the seventies or eighties.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

A friend of mine is relistening to the old Gervais and merchant xfm shows and he has said they've aged really badly. Merchant has a visceral hatred of the homeless, as well as fat people, and for several weeks there is a debate where Karl is arguing that there should be seperate toilets for gay men.

I think social attitudes have axtually progressed a lot in just a couple of decades, more so than we realise, so the comedy of our childhood is becoming as problematic as those in the seventies or eighties.

I noticed this watching Extras the other day. There are some scenes that were quite uncomfortable to watch with my gay mums

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
The Office had a lot of casual "lol poofters" stuff in too. I enjoyed the show a lot when it came out but even back then I thought that stuff was lazy

Gervais has always annoyed me because he indulges in the worst kinds of hateful humour but seems to think it's okay because he's just doing it ironically

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There is also the Black Books episode where Fran goes on a date with a closeted gay man, which I think is fairly harmless by and large, but if you do find it distasteful I recommend watching it with the DVD commentary. Every time he's in a scene they start riffing on how bad they were at writing a gay character. There's one bit where you can practically hear Dylan Moran bury his head in his hands going "Jesus Christ" at how cliched it is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Conversely, I rewatched Big Train recently and there's not really anything problematic I saw in that, and it held up really well I thought. I suppose it helps that it's pretty absurdist. Far too much staring contest stuff when you binge watch it though.