Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lore post:

So is 500.000 people trying to make a life in a valley, surrounded by deadly storms. Things are so bad that they eat childrens. And are stuck on a perpetual war with tanks, trenches and superpowered monsters. The big macguffin is a signal or possible space elves (or timetraveling shenanigans)

Our character is basically a criminal working has mercenary that had a tough life, and for the first time he/she feel at home in this distopian future.

I have to admit that this game does a lot of things worse than Anthem, but have a better initial lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
the lore is the 80s movie version of the anthem's kids cartoon based on the same property

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I suck at this kind of game, but still enjoy them a lot. I played the technomancer guy through 5 levels and using a sniper rifle and assault rifle works pretty good and while it took quite a few tries to kill captain Raines(?) on that side quest, I was able to kill Gauss on the first try.

I was doing pretty good and having fun playing the tank (devastator?) class, teleporting in and smashing bad guys, but god drat do the bosses and captains just wreck me. I just can't kill them fast enough to sustain healing and die over and over again when I hit certain points. I was able to take Captain Raines out surprisingly easily, but then I had to back off the world tier to 3 (from 4 where I am at now) to take out Gauss after dying countless times, and then I went into the save McCain quest and get to a section where there's some rear end in a top hat captain who just wrecks me, even on T3.

I'll try a few hundred more times tomorrow after I've gotten some sleep.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i mean it seems like it's selling from the demo, so who the gently caress knows

maybe we're the weirdos?????

Are we sure that doesn't count demo "purchases"?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bideo James posted:

Shame about Earth huh? Anyways here's this new planet but what about Earth? We hosed up the Earth real bad. We got a new start here, but this isn't home. I miss Earth. Boy Earth was a shithole.

We backed up the entire Internet.

*31 years later*

gently caress, our data is all gone!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The demo is a different SKU and has no price attached to it. Also, I just checked, the banner image is different. People are legit buying it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well I figure ~2 hours is enough time for a lot of people to come to their senses and refund that mistake :mmmhmm:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

ZeeBoi posted:

Well I figure ~2 hours is enough time for a lot of people to come to their senses and refund that mistake :mmmhmm:

2 hours and you might have made it out of the tutorial

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Steam's global sellers list is ranked by revenue, so those are all sales.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

The Locator posted:

Devastator is my favorite so far, and the bullet reflect shield is really powerful in situations where there’s a boss + group. It gives you time to stall for your other cooldowns, and can dish out huge damage to whoever you trundle up to unleash it on. If you haven’t been using it / aren’t letting it run for its entire activation time, you’ll be surprised how hard it can hit.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The Locator posted:

I suck at this kind of game, but still enjoy them a lot. I played the technomancer guy through 5 levels and using a sniper rifle and assault rifle works pretty good and while it took quite a few tries to kill captain Raines(?) on that side quest, I was able to kill Gauss on the first try.

I was doing pretty good and having fun playing the tank (devastator?) class, teleporting in and smashing bad guys, but god drat do the bosses and captains just wreck me. I just can't kill them fast enough to sustain healing and die over and over again when I hit certain points. I was able to take Captain Raines out surprisingly easily, but then I had to back off the world tier to 3 (from 4 where I am at now) to take out Gauss after dying countless times, and then I went into the save McCain quest and get to a section where there's some rear end in a top hat captain who just wrecks me, even on T3.

The first time I fought Gaussc was rough with the devastator until I figured out every class heals to 1/3 life for free just by not getting hit. You can play hit and run with him dealing damage till you are low and then line of sight him until you get hp back.

Bosses become much easier as you get to lvl 7 with some mods. Life steal or shielding on guns makes a huge difference and you can also get armor that heals you for 100% of your gravity leap damage which really helps keep you alive when you aren't one shotting everything.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fighting Gaussic with the technomancer + snipers (sit at range, cryo him, snipe headshot him and stay at max) vs Pyro/trickster (both of whom use kills to heal) was very drastically different

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Frustrated posted:

Bosses become much easier as you get to lvl 7 with some mods. Life steal or shielding on guns makes a huge difference and you can also get armor that heals you for 100% of your gravity leap damage which really helps keep you alive when you aren't one shotting everything.
Finding that "this class is bad solo" is fixed by gear upgrades. The last part of the find the lieutenant quest is a good gear check. My first two characters' initial attempts were like OH gently caress THIS poo poo but I waited on my third character and quickly cleared it on my first try.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The biggest praise I have for the game is that by level 7, you're getting gear that changes how you play. Compare that to Div 2 or Destiny where your basically just "+2 damage" until endgame. It is a solid like B+/A- jank game tho

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
From the times I checked there were 3-4 times the numbers of people playing the demo compared to the Avengers beta.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
There was a boss here. It's gone now.
https://i.imgur.com/YhUpu2k.mp4

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Roman posted:

Finding that "this class is bad solo" is fixed by gear upgrades. The last part of the find the lieutenant quest is a good gear check. My first two characters' initial attempts were like OH gently caress THIS poo poo but I waited on my third character and quickly cleared it on my first try.

Yeah I was having a harder time with Pyro than with the other classes, until I got armor that gave me 2 charges of thermal bomb and boosted all my healing a bunch.

Also tried some 3 player co op last night and it's pretty fun despite there not being much to do in the demo. The number of enemies with 3 players is nuts. It makes the big flashy AoEs like thermal bomb and temporal blade extremely satisfying to use.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 28, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Licarn posted:

Outriders: i reinstalled anthem

:sickos:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
https://i.imgur.com/l3WddQ4.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

brainSnakes posted:

Devastator is my favorite so far, and the bullet reflect shield is really powerful in situations where there’s a boss + group. It gives you time to stall for your other cooldowns, and can dish out huge damage to whoever you trundle up to unleash it on. If you haven’t been using it / aren’t letting it run for its entire activation time, you’ll be surprised how hard it can hit.

I'm assuming that this is the 4th skill? I don't have it yet, I have the earthquake, the 65% damage reduction, and the teleport/leap slam thing.

Frustrated posted:

The first time I fought Gaussc was rough with the devastator until I figured out every class heals to 1/3 life for free just by not getting hit. You can play hit and run with him dealing damage till you are low and then line of sight him until you get hp back.

That's how I managed to beat him. I couldn't figure out why I was healing, but I definitely figured out it was happening so I spent plenty of time hiding behind boxes trying to time interrupts and sniping him until I finally got him down.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have to give it to this game, I've never seen a looter shooter take this long to open up and let me shoot and loot.

It's going to be a hard barrier to recommend people to get past so that you can actually play the game proper especially when the story is a big ole pile of whogivesashit!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Deakul posted:

I have to give it to this game, I've never seen a looter shooter take this long to open up and let me shoot and loot.

It's going to be a hard barrier to recommend people to get past so that you can actually play the game proper especially when the story is a big ole pile of whogivesashit!

At least you only have to go through it one time. Every other character after your first you can choose to skip right to the battlefield and start shooting stuff.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Deakul posted:

The demo crashed on me near (I assume) the end of the prologue and it was going to make me go through it again so I said "gently caress it" and uninstalled it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I survived Cyberpunk so I am willing to extend some grace here as it has been scratching the itch. I thought I was going to play Devastator but holy poo poo Trickster slaps. Blinking around with the shotgun and then popping the Time Bubble is some real, “I’m not in here with you, you’re in here with me!” poo poo.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I hear you burt.

It’s funny to me—I rate this game higher playing the Trickster than the other classes.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the more favorable demo reviews surrounded by “well I played the Trickster as my char.”

We have a goon who was in the Insiders program and was able to demo the entire game a few months ago and has been sharing some info in the discord with us and answering questions and it has me perked up a little more for what’s to come. Since NDA is dropped now, here goes.

Said the tier system for expeditions is extremely tough at high levels and will be extremely hard solo when you go up. He went to WT13 to test and it was murder.

Story is truly 35 hours long with majority of side quests done. Not including expeditions which are all unique.

Trickster and Devastator are the bestest.

Trickster just melts as you go further into the game. Some skills are game changers.

All of us agree the demo is dumb.

Mods/crafting really are diverse and change the game completely.

Believes you can get through everything in a month essentially. After about a month, onto the next game. I feel this same way.

Pyromancer picks up deeper into the game. Rough start. Didn’t have anything on Technomancer. I’ll just chime in and say it’s a good steam game.

Overall, like many of the Insiders have said, it was fun and while generic, it’s fun. That’s about as exciting as you’re gonna get, team!

This game is $46 on GMG. I think it’s a decent price. I feel at $30 you’d be getting a great value out of this. Don’t spend $60 peeps.

It’s mindless fun from what I’m gathering.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh. One heavy negative that is going to loving suck. The cutscene poo poo is heavy in the story. You’ll be seeing a ton of them.

Sound issues too. Some of the guns and environment sounds are just not good. Sound quality is dookie basically.

Cover system is for enemies. Not for you. Problem is game does a poor job showing us this. You’re supposed to play aggressively and cover is emergency only. Don’t play it as a cover shooter. Again, poor system by the devs and for a more casual player or somebody just wanting to get in, it’s a mixed message. I get it too.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ICR posted:

Oh. One heavy negative that is going to loving suck. The cutscene poo poo is heavy in the story. You’ll be seeing a ton of them.

Sound issues too. Some of the guns and environment sounds are just not good. Sound quality is dookie basically.

Cover system is for enemies. Not for you. Problem is game does a poor job showing us this. You’re supposed to play aggressively and cover is emergency only. Don’t play it as a cover shooter. Again, poor system by the devs and for a more casual player or somebody just wanting to get in, it’s a mixed message. I get it too.

Hey, I like the cutscenes. The shaking cam only affect some people, for some of us is invisible.

I live for another line like "I will kill your dick".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H11N7medIU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgqHMknkHDk

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2021

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Cover system is for enemies, not for you, is some real dumb sounding poo poo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
We put terrible gameplay in our game, as a joke

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Handsome Wife posted:

The demo crashed on me near (I assume) the end of the prologue and it was going to make me go through it again so I said "gently caress it" and uninstalled it.

Same with me. I tried 5 times and now I give up. Hard pass until I feel confident they will fix it.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I think I’m gonna end up buying this despite my critiques. It’s a weird case of the wrong game hitting me at the right time. I’m totally in the mood for a new arpg right now. And to be honest the Devastator’s gravity leap is the deal maker for me, it’s so much fun.

I wandered around replaying side missions a bit last night and noticed two things. First, my iron capped out at like 1000 and now I can’t find any more. So I guess they don’t want people farming the demo excessively since it carries over to launch, which is fine.

Second, someone dropped a legendary shotgun that gives me the Devastator’s stone armor for free every time I kill something. :black101:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just started the demo and I’m digging the b-tier vibes I’m getting from the voice acting lmao

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I dunked on Gauss as a technomancer, but holy poo poo do I not see how you're supposed to handle him as one of the other classes at lower level.
Healing on hit is the only thing that kept me alive, coupled with the turret's natural short cooldown.
The hitbox on his electric spotlight ground wave is incredibly fucky also, my health was getting shredded even when I wasn't even close to the edge of it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ICR posted:

Pyromancer picks up deeper into the game. Rough start. Didn’t have anything on Technomancer. I’ll just chime in and say it’s a good steam game.

I went back to Techno after finishing the demo with Trickster. If you ignore the spiel about it being a ranged support class it is pretty fun since it gets the heals with every hit instead of death. Run into death, drop your cryo turret and the missiles, then just start blasting. A boss starts doing their special then throw an interrupt grenade. If you have a shields on kill gun you are unkillable and will never go under 80% health. I kill the McCain boss faster than with my Trickster but that might mostly be with where the Trickster teleport places you though. I have a freeze on the rockets skill so with that and the cryo turrent he just sits there while I melt his face. I spend more time waiting to die after killing him than actually killing him.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hit level 7 and world tier 5, got some nice gear that enhances my skills along with a life-leech double-gun and everything is suddenly so much better... blew through the McCain side-quest that was stopping me cold on my first try with relative ease while leaving it at WT5.

Leap-slam skill now heals me for 100% of damage dealt or 200% if it kills something.
Bullet shield now hits the dude with most health for 50% more damage.
Earthquake is now usable 2x before cooldown.
Double-gun with 12.8% life-leech.

It's stupid how much different that stuff makes.. it's actually fun now that I've run out of content...

Edit: The ending of the McCain quest made me chuckle.. I might be broken.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder how well this stuff will scale, and whether there's more depth or mostly just bigger numbers after the demo content.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Idk man I'm really digging this game's vibe. The gunplay was also very good. I think I'm gonna buy this and play with my friends lol.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
How many of the 35 hours are watching cutscenes

I feel like this is a pretty important question cause it kinda sounds like it'll be like 5 or 10 hours worth of BEASTIE BOYS ON VINYL

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

leftist heap posted:

We put terrible gameplay in our game, as a joke
Wasn't that the Serious Sam 3 defense?

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I dunked on Gauss as a technomancer, but holy poo poo do I not see how you're supposed to handle him as one of the other classes at lower level.
Healing on hit is the only thing that kept me alive, coupled with the turret's natural short cooldown.
The hitbox on his electric spotlight ground wave is incredibly fucky also, my health was getting shredded even when I wasn't even close to the edge of it

Pyromancer has that ability that heals you and immobilized the enemy, plus even early game the skills have short cool downs, so its just a matter of hiding in cover once in awhile and timing interrupts.

I actually ended up having the most fun with the Pyro, turning dudes into flaming blood balloons is my scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I will freely admit that a good chunk of my fondness for this game is the Mortal Kombat aesthetic they have going on with the powers.