Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rick posted:

I like conferences for the purpose of making sure roughly 70% of your team’s games are on at a time friendly to your time zone but I have come around to not really seeing the point for playoff seeding anymore.

Conferences impose meaning on place. Geographically-delimited playoff brackets let the emerging teams not just be division champions or finalists, but also the representatives of some certain area. They’re the best of the East, or representing some area of the upper East coast. This is good and far more valuable than the superficial parity of eliminating conferences, seeding, or any other geographic ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

nah

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ost

Wost

The Pelicans could fight back into the playoffs. Anything could happen in the east. Charlotte could easily get in. The fading for cade will continue

What are the odds that Denver misses the playoffs?

lmao, how do the Hawks have as bad a record as the Pels? They were absolutely built to start winning this season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

triple sulk posted:

this is infuriating

I laughed pretty hard once I figured out who I was watching and how completely meaningless the play was. I'm still on the verge of laughter, minutes later, just thinking about it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

verbal enema posted:

Go The Cleveland Cavaliers

It was nice to see them able to weather a comeback, a couple games ago the 6ers would've just came back and held the lead til the end.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Veryslightlymad posted:

I laughed pretty hard once I figured out who I was watching and how completely meaningless the play was. I'm still on the verge of laughter, minutes later, just thinking about it.

It was a good video. You go from, okay someone made a three? To oh, Benjamin Simmons made a three! And it was a deep one! To oh, Ben Simmons jacked up a three only when the games literally out of reach :lol::lol::lol:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/davidaldridgedc/status/1366050212930854915?s=20

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Raptors probably not playing more games until after the ASG. https://twitter.com/LeoRautins/status/1366052164834107395?s=20

edit: what he said

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrandonTierney/status/1366031803249811457?s=19

Knicks hit .500 and the most horrific takes start to form

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Getting rid of conferences would be a problem if like 6 of the 8 first round games were all in the West/Mountain time zone. You'd either have to play those games at horrible local times or canabalize your own TV schedule and just say screw you to a bunch of people in the US who want to watch playoff games live at a reasonable hour.

Same problem if there's a bunch of East Coast teams with the best record but lol

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

This feels like a bizarre comparison to even try to make, unless I'm missing something about the two players.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
But also regardless of position or era or role or whatever Julius Randle isn’t and won’t be better than Chris Bosh

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Covid robbing us of an epic battle for home court between the Raps and Bulls. Shame.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Randle has had one good season and bosh had a decade of all star performance. What the hell kind of take is that?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

Getting rid of conferences would be a problem if like 6 of the 8 first round games were all in the West/Mountain time zone. You'd either have to play those games at horrible local times or canabalize your own TV schedule and just say screw you to a bunch of people in the US who want to watch playoff games live at a reasonable hour.

Same problem if there's a bunch of East Coast teams with the best record but lol

This country has become far too divided. We need to heal and come together as one, and that is why I propose we all join God’s preferred time zone of Pacific Standard Time and rename it American Standard Time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Randle was very good in New Orleans too but yeah Bosh was like a top 20 player in Toronto and then completely changed his game to become a key part of a title team after that. He's going to easily make the hall of fame. It's a dumb comparison.

For as much poo poo as Lakers fans deservedly get no one in the league is ever more overrated than any half way decent Knick.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

MourningView posted:

Randle was very good in New Orleans too but yeah Bosh was like a top 20 player in Toronto and then completely changed his game to become a key part of a title team after that. He's going to easily make the hall of fame. It's a dumb comparison.

For as much poo poo as Lakers fans deservedly get no one in the league is ever more overrated than any half way decent Knick.

Nah, it was super reasonable for someone to pay $20K for a Jeremy Lin rookie card

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bosh and Dwight used to have amazing games against one another. Part of me wants to look up the game logs but I also don’t want to ruin the few fond (on court) memories I have of those Raptor teams.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lockback posted:

An easy solution is to just reassign teams to new cities. Too many wins in the west? The Suns are now the Orlando team and we ship the Magic the Phoenix.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

BWV posted:

Bosh and Dwight used to have amazing games against one another. Part of me wants to look up the game logs but I also don’t want to ruin the few fond (on court) memories I have of those Raptor teams.

I know you said in this very post I'm quoting you didn't want to see game logs but this did get me curious and I looked some of them up and saw a 2008 game where Dwight and Bosh combined to go 27/32 for 77 points. Holy moly

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have mentioned this a few times, but Zion just doesn't get the respect from refs I believe he should. For example, I don't believe the Spurs were called for a flagrant foul on this play:

https://twitter.com/PootieWayne/status/1366083073985642504?s=20

Kibner fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2021

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Most young stars are on the "when will the refs start giving you every ticky-tack call" waitlist, Zion was on the "when do the refs start treating you like Shaq and let the other team foul just to make it fair" waitlist. And not for very long.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
yeah part of being so strong that guys just bounce off you like they're not even there is that the refs treat it like they weren't even there

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I could see the Bosh/Randle thing if you squint at just the on-paper counting stats and you also highlight and underline the "peak" thing to emphasize it means any one season. But that still isn't looking at defense, where Bosh was pretty underrated for much of his career. And also, I'd be interested to see what Bosh could do in the "new" NBA, where they might actually run the offense through him more overtly. Sure, Randle has more than double Bosh's best ever assist per game total, but I would hesitate long and hard before saying Bosh couldn't have done it if given that responsibility.

At any rate, even the stats argument basically falls apart if you take like, twelve seconds to dig into even some basic advanced stats. Bosh's best years were really efficient.

So there's really no comparison. I'm still baffled why, of all the guys to call out, you call out specifically Bosh. Is it because as a Third Star, he looked like an easy target? Because they nominally play a similar position? I do not get it. Bosh was cool and had a gut-wrenching end to his career. Don't hate on Bosh. What's wrong with you.

Insane takes like this bother me a little less than they could because basically everywhere outside of Knick fandom seemingly underrates just how good of a season Randle has had, and he definitely earned his spot this year. It's just kind of nuts to me that you don't seem to have a middle ground between "Eh. Randle's OK. gently caress the Knicks" and "God drat, Randle is better than a future hall of famer's best ever season".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's also only like 34 games

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kibner posted:

I have mentioned this a few times, but Zion just doesn't get the respect from refs I believe he should. For example, I don't believe the Spurs were called for a flagrant foul on this play:

https://twitter.com/PootieWayne/status/1366083073985642504?s=20

that's pretty, pretty bad

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I totally forgot about that white kid who created a loving anthrax scare and campus lockdown just cuz he did the lebron pregame. Poor bastard
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ucf-building-evacuated-student-pulls-lebron-james-stunt-article-1.3847178

quote:

The man is accused of standing up inside of a classroom, which he was not a student in, and throwing baby powder up in the air. He also allegedly yelled, "I'm taking my talents elsewhere. I'm going to Miami," as he threw the powder.

Police described the man as being 6'2 while wearing a red and white LeBron James Miami Heat jersey.

Definitely one of the greatest knights of lebron. Was trying to find out how much trouble he got into but there's not a lot on him.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Karl Anthony Towns gets hosed over so much on calls. Yes I'm still watching the Timberwolves and I'm mostly crying.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
From watching Jokic the last few years, all you need to do to get more calls is go \:mad:/ at the refs whenever you take a contested shot every single time, make or miss, for 250 consecutive games. Easy!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I could see the Bosh/Randle thing if you squint at just the on-paper counting stats and you also highlight and underline the "peak" thing to emphasize it means any one season. But that still isn't looking at defense, where Bosh was pretty underrated for much of his career. And also, I'd be interested to see what Bosh could do in the "new" NBA, where they might actually run the offense through him more overtly. Sure, Randle has more than double Bosh's best ever assist per game total, but I would hesitate long and hard before saying Bosh couldn't have done it if given that responsibility.

At any rate, even the stats argument basically falls apart if you take like, twelve seconds to dig into even some basic advanced stats. Bosh's best years were really efficient.

So there's really no comparison. I'm still baffled why, of all the guys to call out, you call out specifically Bosh. Is it because as a Third Star, he looked like an easy target? Because they nominally play a similar position? I do not get it. Bosh was cool and had a gut-wrenching end to his career. Don't hate on Bosh. What's wrong with you.

Insane takes like this bother me a little less than they could because basically everywhere outside of Knick fandom seemingly underrates just how good of a season Randle has had, and he definitely earned his spot this year. It's just kind of nuts to me that you don't seem to have a middle ground between "Eh. Randle's OK. gently caress the Knicks" and "God drat, Randle is better than a future hall of famer's best ever season".

a lot of it is that most people only remember third option miami bosh (who was still really loving good and the biggest reason they could play small and switch everything on defense) and forget that he was once a very good first option in Toronto.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

He had a few stinkers mid-February, but Barrett does look like he's actually coming around.
https://twitter.com/NYSportsFanCush/status/1365849198386642948?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

what the gently caress is 22.5 games

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Hand Knit posted:

Conferences impose meaning on place. Geographically-delimited playoff brackets let the emerging teams not just be division champions or finalists, but also the representatives of some certain area. They’re the best of the East, or representing some area of the upper East coast. This is good and far more valuable than the superficial parity of eliminating conferences, seeding, or any other geographic ordering.

Of course this is your take, you're enjoying the 4th seed instead of missing the playoffs like you would in the West.

That's how poo poo this is, currently only 3 teams in the east have a record good enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Declan MacManus posted:

:shrug:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MourningView posted:

a lot of it is that most people only remember third option miami bosh (who was still really loving good and the biggest reason they could play small and switch everything on defense) and forget that he was once a very good first option in Toronto.

Just flying too high to the sun, Knicks fans.

Julius Randle is currently playing like a rich man's Antoine Walker. There's your realistic comparison against a former NBA All-Star.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

https://twitter.com/NYSportsFanCush/status/1366080315928825857?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

understandable but also dumb as poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I guess Randle and Bosh have that "face-up PF with ball-on-the-floor skills", so its not ridiculous to compare them but without getting too mad at a stupid tweet, it was a really dumb tweet. I even like Randle a lot but he has a LONG way to go before he gets to All-NBA guy or "3rd option on a historically great team" level.

Randle is going to shine as the guy on a bunch of .500 teams, which is still really good and everything but let's not get crazy.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

i am a moron posted:

It was a good video. You go from, okay someone made a three? To oh, Benjamin Simmons made a three! And it was a deep one! To oh, Ben Simmons jacked up a three only when the games literally out of reach :lol::lol::lol:

Ha yeah took me so long to get it. At first I was so confused by the jerseys - I thought it was the Timberwolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I liked it in my minds eye where he went like 1/15 from 3 in the first half 23 games ago.