Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh, it'll make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

should i be direct selling stuff from the station with traders, rather than waiting for people to come?

I just bought a buffalo, what an amazing looking freighter. and fast too!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
L freighters are generally very slow but I think a lot better with the gate changes in the beta.

Definitely assign a couple traders to your factory. If you find they're constantly busy later selling stuff, assign some more!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hm yes... this factory is now making GBS threads money out, I blink and its account has gone up by another million.

Looks like I should set up a claytronics factory next? Jesus, loving 75 million or so for a 6 claytronics station.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

Hm yes... this factory is now making GBS threads money out, I blink and its account has gone up by another million.

Looks like I should set up a claytronics factory next? Jesus, loving 75 million or so for a 6 claytronics station.

Claytronics is very expensive to set up (especially if you want a full vertical integration), but it'll make shitloads of money because there is always a ton of demand for it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah claytronics absolutely prints money.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I use L Freighters for ferrying around building storage supplies. Also did they ever fix the fact that the AI traders will never bring turret/shield/weapon components to your stations build storage? It's really annoying to have to do that manually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Claytronics are also required to build stations, as with hull parts, so you can use the parts you make to expand your stations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Thom12255 posted:

I use L Freighters for ferrying around building storage supplies. Also did they ever fix the fact that the AI traders will never bring turret/shield/weapon components to your stations build storage? It's really annoying to have to do that manually.

That works now as expected in the current beta.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Where can I sell these unstable crystals? I've tried the Hatikvah trading station but they don't want them and I can't seem to find any black market missions. I'm stuck.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Travic posted:

Where can I sell these unstable crystals? I've tried the Hatikvah trading station but they don't want them and I can't seem to find any black market missions. I'm stuck.

I think you have to unlock black markets by scanning station signals until you find a piracy related one.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think you have to unlock black markets by scanning station signals until you find a piracy related one.

So far I've found: "Get me off this station", "Kill random guy", and "Disable turrets".

And if course the discount ones, but I doubt that's it.

Does doing one unlock all black markets or just for that station?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
IIRC correctly it's for all and it'll be something about smuggling stuff to one of the black markets. The HAT plotline may unlock them too though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i have a weird bug now. my main hull part station will not work with station traders at all. i set up a smart chip station no issues and station traders are hauling stuff around, but whenever i assign traders to my hull parts station they do nothing. I checked their orders and hull parts isnt even in the list to sell:

just refined metals is in there for some reason.

nothing there says my ships shouldnt be able to pick it up and sell it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The "X" in the top right corner there indicates that ware is being restricted somehow. I'd double-check the station's settings. I distinctly remember this being a pain in the rear end to iron out, unfortunately.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I thought I heard the emergency klaxon over the TV at work and for a second I got excited that there might be a station signal somewhere nearby.

I may have played too much X4 this weekend.

Did they decrease the spawn rate of crystals? I remember people recommending crystal hunting as a good way to make money in the early game, but they seem veeeery rare.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Apparently they really nerfed the spawn rate of them to where I found something like 1000 of the really cheap ones and only one spawn that was 10k/per.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah crystal mining is rear end now.

but grabbing the free destroyer in faulty logic takes 5 mins and sells for at least 6.5m so that can get you rolling with like 30 miners right at game start.

re my issue up there, i just deleted and remade my "my faction only" trade block and now it works fine? like, 0 changes to it, but now theyre shuttling stuff around again.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat. Oh well. I got lucky with a few crystals and some missions and made enough to buy a miner who is bringing in monstrous (for me) amounts of money. I do feel bad because I don't pay these people at all and they've already paid back the cost of the ship. :v:

I'm glad I watched some tutorial videos about getting started because I would have tried to set up an auto trader instead of a miner. Like I did in X3.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah even with the mining nerfs, or reallocation of minerals or whatever, plopping down sector auto miners in grand exchange is still a really drat good way of getting started.

also jesus, in my current game there are like 0 weapon components going around any more, i cant build a ship with any guns on it at all in any shipyard.

I guess i know what my next station is going to be.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Mining nerfs?

It's really interesting. I bought this game back when it came out and bounced off of it until it got patched up. In true Egosoft fashion. Then I get super into Factorio and Dyson Sphere program and right about the time I get done with those I remember X4 exists. A perfect storm of industry games.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Travic posted:

Mining nerfs?

It's really interesting. I bought this game back when it came out and bounced off of it until it got patched up. In true Egosoft fashion. Then I get super into Factorio and Dyson Sphere program and right about the time I get done with those I remember X4 exists. A perfect storm of industry games.

not really nerfs, they just moved resources around to make the outer areas more packed with resources and the inner areas around the superhighway loop have less. makes it a bit more dangerous mining out in the reaches since you need to protect them more.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I find the mining changes frustrating as the patrol behaviours in the game are basically non-functional. I now have to listen for attack alarms in like 6 sectors and micro-manage defense ships there each time something happens. Seems like a weird thing to balance this late in development.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

well, i was saving up to build a claytronics factory but ive never had a big ship in this game yet, so i splurged

i had to cart all the weapon components there on my own since nobody seems to be making them, but hell yeah. now to figure out how to fly a big ship.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
There's something uniquely and weirdly satisfying in this game when you order a ship and then your own traders supply the components to build it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do you guys usually make every factory self sufficient? im going to do a weapon part factory, so far for my hull parts and smart chips i just produced everything in the station. weapon components seem to have a lot more steps.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
When I played unmodded I would never make large self-sufficient factories because the build times would be in days of game time, so a large network of factories being simultaneously built and extended is way more efficient to get going.

However now I'm using a 10x build speed mod and a mega self-sufficient factory is much more doable and fun.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Less Fat Luke posted:

When I played unmodded I would never make large self-sufficient factories because the build times would be in days of game time, so a large network of factories being simultaneously built and extended is way more efficient to get going.

However now I'm using a 10x build speed mod and a mega self-sufficient factory is much more doable and fun.

ill probably grab this because its really boring waiting for poo poo to be built. not sure i understand whyit takes so long.

edit:

wonder if it would be worth setting up big refineries for each resource and feeding factories from those. you could build them in mining areas with some defence, then feed them into like, storage stations closer to the safe areas. miners could flee to them when attacked

though I guess you could just run L or XL (from x:r ships) since they dont seem to be bothered much by the belt pirates.

queeb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I'm really starting to get into this. Unfortunately that means I have lots of questions.

Is it worth it to add crew to my miners and traders? Will that make them work faster?

How do I get started autotrading? I don't really want to install one of those mods that makes autotrading one or zero stars, but I will if I have to. Do I just have to put the pilot in a cheap fighter and tell her to revisit known stations until she's 3 stars?

Do I need resources probes to help my miners? They seem to be mining just fine without them, but would they be more efficient with probes?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Travic posted:

Ok I'm really starting to get into this. Unfortunately that means I have lots of questions.

Is it worth it to add crew to my miners and traders? Will that make them work faster?

How do I get started autotrading? I don't really want to install one of those mods that makes autotrading one or zero stars, but I will if I have to. Do I just have to put the pilot in a cheap fighter and tell her to revisit known stations until she's 3 stars?

Do I need resources probes to help my miners? They seem to be mining just fine without them, but would they be more efficient with probes?

1. No, doesnt seem to do much except maybe speed up self repair.

2. Ive found running miners on sector automine skills up the pilots fast, then you can swap them into trade ships after awhile. sector autominers in grand exchange make a lot of money, since all 3 "zones" in grand exchange count as 1 sector, so they'll cover that whole area.

3. Yes if you're in the beta patch, no if not.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

queeb posted:

2. Ive found running miners on sector automine skills up the pilots fast, then you can swap them into trade ships after awhile. sector autominers in grand exchange make a lot of money, since all 3 "zones" in grand exchange count as 1 sector, so they'll cover that whole area.

Is that with Learning All the Things or vanilla? Currently I'm running with no mods.

One other question I though of. To transfer pilots do I have to have both ships dock at the same station or can I just reassign them? I reassigned a guy to my ship and he hasn't moved. Do I have to go physically pick him up?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Welp just bought this game and all its expac content including the unreleased terran stuff because I have been jonesing for some X and AP is just dated enough at this point

Rip my free time

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Travic posted:

One other question I though of. To transfer pilots do I have to have both ships dock at the same station or can I just reassign them? I reassigned a guy to my ship and he hasn't moved. Do I have to go physically pick him up?

Iirc they need to be in proximity, and it's easiest if they are docked.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Welp just bought this game and all its expac content including the unreleased terran stuff because I have been jonesing for some X and AP is just dated enough at this point

Rip my free time

Great timing too, now you get to wait for the next DLC to drop before you can play the game, but it's going to sit in your library tempting you. You have to wait just two more weeks!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2BwzOKjhs

gently caress it looks good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Looks like the cock are returning!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they changed the cock in the beta patches to be a bit more active. That station is actually in the game anyway, they appear in remote corners of the universe.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My body is ready.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

who knew that what X really needed as a series was giant axial laser cannons

Also I loving love that Terran ships apparently have sails now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering what that was for too.

I also really like how well they translated the X3 terran station design too. Big docking ring is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maybe it's a solar panel array?

Anyway shame that I'm too broke to get X4 nevermind the expansion, maybe I'll play some X3 more though.