Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So once you 'finish' there are just 3 repeatable quests, correct? McCain, the chinaman's shop, and the head of the captain. Am I missing anything or is that all that's left to do once you hit the end of the demo at level 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Locator posted:

So once you 'finish' there are just 3 repeatable quests, correct? McCain, the chinaman's shop, and the head of the captain. Am I missing anything or is that all that's left to do once you hit the end of the demo at level 7?

There's also a woman directly across and up a few stairs from the male vendor. She starts a quest to collect a historical doodad (with presumably more in the full game). You access the quest area directly opposite from the head-of-the-captain area.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I dunked on Gauss as a technomancer, but holy poo poo do I not see how you're supposed to handle him as one of the other classes at lower level.

Trickster completely clowns on the guy. Teleport in and shotgun him in the face with Twisting Bullets within your Time Bubble. When he teleports out, switch to a longer range gun and keep closing the distance, as soon as Twisted Bullets come off cooldown he's toast.

What I noticed is that enemies in this game have way stronger impact reactions to your skills, compared to games like Division or Destiny. Keeping them staggered is the key to success. You don't want to hide til your skill come off cool down.

The guy is a pushover once you got some blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYb_5AIjMo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Locator posted:

the chinaman

ok boomer

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
the cutscene stuff makes this game extremely awful

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

This game seems really bad, which is a shame because I was hoping it would be a destiny/division mash up but good?

I've tried out all 4 classes. The cut scenes are low frame rate, bad voice acting, terrible lip sync and far too frequent, loading screens are everywhere, cool downs on skills are too long, the guns sound and feel weak, the class skill trees are just boring +% effect things with a weapon damage/tanking/anomaly damage tree for each class, and the graphics feel very mid last generation.

Am I missing something?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bad Parenting posted:

cool downs on skills are too long

man what

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
just noticing the DLC / pre order bonus is guns that are already in the game with a single decal added to them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Bad Parenting posted:

This game seems really bad, which is a shame because I was hoping it would be a destiny/division mash up but good?

I've tried out all 4 classes. The cut scenes are low frame rate, bad voice acting, terrible lip sync and far too frequent, loading screens are everywhere, cool downs on skills are too long, the guns sound and feel weak, the class skill trees are just boring +% effect things with a weapon damage/tanking/anomaly damage tree for each class, and the graphics feel very mid last generation.

Am I missing something?

no, the game would have been a dope PS4 release title or if it was like a first gen looter shooter 4 years ago. The loading screens are particularly nuts

but instead it does everything that every other looter shooter has already done, except worse? my friend described the game perfectly as "adequate"

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I just farmed all blue gear for all characters and made sure the perks matched the abilities I was using and used guns with perks like burning/toxic etc. and I have lots of fun destroying everything

If you don't try and make anything resembling a build the gameplay won't be as fun. If you don't want to take time to make builds then the game isn't for you anyway.

I maxed all 4 classes and their gear and world tiers and am ready for April

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

There's also a woman directly across and up a few stairs from the male vendor. She starts a quest to collect a historical doodad (with presumably more in the full game). You access the quest area directly opposite from the head-of-the-captain area.

Yeah, did that one but it's not repeatable and the door to that area remains locked after you do it once.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

it was a bold decision to make an always online single player game

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

it was a bold decision to make an always online single player game

Way too many companies are doing that bullshit now. Why do I need to sign into your online auth service to play the game I gave you money to play? It's pretty annoying and I almost didn't install it because it forced me to make an account.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait when did they rename anthem

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

The Locator posted:

The uhhhh what shop now?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

The uhhhh what shop now?

A nice Asian gentleman invites you to gaze at his good wares, and then gets shot before you get to see the good stuff. You then get to go avenge him. I'm bad at remembering names of quests.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Locator posted:

Why do I need to sign into your online auth service to play the game I gave you money to play?

In most cases? Cosmetic microtransactions. In this case? Crossplay.

Hammerstein posted:

Trickster completely clowns on the guy. Teleport in and shotgun him in the face with Twisting Bullets within your Time Bubble. When he teleports out, switch to a longer range gun and keep closing the distance, as soon as Twisted Bullets come off cooldown he's toast.

I ran him a few times with my setup and the deciding factor on time was whether or not he teleports, which seems to be linked to range. Killing him fast meant bubbling so you were standing on opposite ends of the bubble and only teleporting to him when he was casting. I could probably get faster but at that point I realized I'm speedrunning a demo and stopped.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This is bad. Back in the oven for another year at least.

Oh wai

EDIT: But on a serious note, this game has hints of something good, mainly with that merchant quest and the McCain guy one... that oddly out of place dark humor and just goofy dorkiness goes a long way, if the tone of the overall game is more like that, it could actually be a fun and entertaining thing.

Seems like it's huffing its own farts a bit too hard and trying really, really hard to be all serious mode epic story. gently caress that.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2021

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Why are yall giving an actual gently caress about the dumbass story and writing?
There's guns that fire literal bone hurting juice?
You get to summon an ice turret with your loving mind, I don't give a goddamn about this plot, and neither should you

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why are yall giving an actual gently caress about the dumbass story and writing?
There's guns that fire literal bone hurting juice?
You get to summon an ice turret with your loving mind, I don't give a goddamn about this plot, and neither should you

Yeah I feel like the hate this game is getting for its story/dialogue is taking the game too seriously meanwhile for me its just goofy nonsense.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm not gonna defend the quality of the story/writing/voice acting, but I'm kinda bewildered that people are playing a game where you turn people into goofy cartoon skeletons with your magic sword, and use shotguns that turn them into a Quentin Tarantino-rear end blood cloud and then the blood cloud moves in slow motion because they're in your slow time bubble, and then drawing the conclusion that the game takes itself too seriously.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mailer posted:

In most cases? Cosmetic microtransactions. In this case? Crossplay.
It's nice for keeping matchmaking populated but it's in beta and totally random right now (when it works). I would hope they make some kind of crossplay friends list system like CoD

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I feel like the hate this game is getting for its story/dialogue is taking the game too seriously meanwhile for me its just goofy nonsense.
It bugged me when I had to sit through a half hour of it to get to the good stuff but on the plus side you can skip the prologue on alts and won't even have to do it on your main again in the full game

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Man this sure as gently caress a better avengers game than the avengers game

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Having played anthem beta and this, and with 6 years of brain poisoning from playing destiny, people who are claiming that anthem beta was better is smoking crack. Anthem beta never made me want to buy anthem.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I think the best feature they included in the demo is that if you like the game and want to buy the full version, you can transfer all your progress/stuff from the demo into the full version. I know I wouldn't want to play through the prologue and first chapter again in the full version, but they eliminated that and at the same time give you a bit of incentive to farm a nice loot set to springboard you into the full game when it releases.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roman posted:

It bugged me when I had to sit through a half hour of it to get to the good stuff but on the plus side you can skip the prologue on alts and won't even have to do it on your main again in the full game

I laughed out loud when the bad guy in the beginning was like "CONTAIN THIS!"

That poo poo was just so out of nowhere and idk it got me. Its just so goofy!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Roman posted:

It's nice for keeping matchmaking populated but it's in beta and totally random right now (when it works). I would hope they make some kind of crossplay friends list system like CoD

This is absolutely needed. The dumb friend code system worked flawlessly when the wife and I were playing, but it's still dumb and a small amount of effort to allow for locking in crossplay friends (even if it required the code once) would be good. I'm sure there's a bazillion rules they have to follow for crossplay stuff so maybe this is the compromise, but it feels bad.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

They need to stop with that friend code poo poo.
It has never been well received in any medium, ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whether you consider this a positive or negative is up to you---personally I hate forced always online whatever the reason--- but one thing it should prevent is the situation in BL3 where you're really likely to run into to players with hacked gear (even with insane, impossible stats, because there's no sanity checking).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

They need to stop with that friend code poo poo.
It has never been well received in any medium, ever.

Its good when your friend gets the game for free though, like A Way Out or wolfenstein youngblood

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

The Locator posted:

oh I'd missed the captain's head one. didn't realise there was a questgiver outside the city.

eonwe posted:

wait when did they rename anthem

a few days before it was announced :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Whether you consider this a positive or negative is up to you---personally I hate forced always online whatever the reason--- but one thing it should prevent is the situation in BL3 where you're really likely to run into to players with hacked gear (even with insane, impossible stats, because there's no sanity checking).

Pretty sure that's not happening. The SE server tracks stats and matchmakes but I'd bet good money that's it. Trying to track state and sanity check aren't worth it unless part of the game relies on it (microtransactions, leaderboards, etc) and this isn't a service game.

Thank christ BL2 didn't state check because playing through the OP levels without save editing updates to your gear would be borderline impossible.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My brothers and i skipped every cutscene and it sounds like we made a wise move? Like, this game left a pretty positive impression on me, we had a bunch of fun.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So I started to enjoy the Technomancer a lot more when I realized it the combination gameplay of a Division 2 skills build with the Mass Effect 2/3 Infiltrator. Throw out the turret to tank/freeze mobs, use the shrapnel bomb to get people camping behind cover, and the Missile Barrage to knock people around while sniping headshots for days. The Trickster and Devastator were differernt variations of the ME 2/3 Vanguard gameplay that were pretty good after getting some levels into them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ME2 is what came to my mind as well.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BexGu posted:

So I started to enjoy the Technomancer a lot more when I realized it the combination gameplay of a Division 2 skills build with the Mass Effect 2/3 Infiltrator. Throw out the turret to tank/freeze mobs, use the shrapnel bomb to get people camping behind cover, and the Missile Barrage to knock people around while sniping headshots for days. The Trickster and Devastator were differernt variations of the ME 2/3 Vanguard gameplay that were pretty good after getting some levels into them.

Yeah the freeze turret, mine and rocket turret are incredible for keeping people from rushing obliterating people who rush you so you can hang back and splode heads.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Playing through on the Pyromancer now, and only thing left is McCain. Gotta say the roughest part by far was the approach to the Solar Tower where all those tough melee dudes keep rushing you.. The Pyromancer just isn't equipped to deal with that very well and I died a bunch of times before I managed to get through that. Once you hit level 6 and get the 4th skill I think that would be a lot easier, but the timing is wrong and you don't have that when doing this part.

With the technomancer I just head-shotted my way through this bit with a sniper rifle and the freeze turret, and with the Tank it wasn't a big deal at all.

Saving Trickster for last.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Blighted Rounds is great on techno, especially if you get gear with the mod that makes it apply to two mags.

Snipe 1 enemy and everyone around them takes damage. Plus use the turret to freeze bosses and get free headshots with blight up.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

does matchmaking in this game seriously just straight up not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Locator posted:

The Pyromancer just isn't equipped to deal with that very well and I died a bunch of times before I managed to get through that. Once you hit level 6 and get the 4th skill I think that would be a lot easier, but the timing is wrong and you don't have that when doing this part.

The 4th skill does big damage, but only when used on people already on fire. It's also a point blank aoe, so they need to be on fire AND right next to you. It's pretty underwhelming. Deva's bullet shield is also pretty lame. They really should have included the pyro's hard aoe CC, since that would help with a lot of issues the class has.