Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

You're getting close. Keep a lookout for new crafting table recipes being unlocked as you explore the next biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

causticBeet posted:

Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

If you use the item you got from that boss it will lead you closer to stone buildings

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I just raided my first sunken crypt last night. Man are those things crazy profitable. One crypt netted 90 iron, so now I'm rocking a full iron loadout and longship.

causticBeet posted:

Edited because small hints were asked for. The next logical biome has a resource that unlocks a crafting item, which in turn allows you to craft stone Viking-Legos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sinburger posted:

I just raided my first sunken crypt last night. Man are those things crazy profitable. One crypt netted 90 iron, so now I'm rocking a full iron loadout and longship.

They're pretty streaky. Will do two or three with maybe 20 iron from the scrap piles, then get one with 69 chests each with 20 scrap that takes four runs to empty.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Found out that excavating the interior area where rocks are in a large oval shape will sometimes yield buried chests.

Speaking of chests do larger ones become craftable later?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So 2nd boss is down and it's time to branch out properly, will I be spending more time on Plains or in Swamps?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Today while running around my mountain biome I was randomly mobbed by a group of 3 goblin things, which were very far from the plains that are adjacent. They killed me and almost got my 79% tame project wolf. Where the hell did these fucks even come from? Funny how the game still managed to suprise you.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Son of Rodney posted:

Today while running around my mountain biome I was randomly mobbed by a group of 3 goblin things, which were very far from the plains that are adjacent. They killed me and almost got my 79% tame project wolf. Where the hell did these fucks even come from? Funny how the game still managed to suprise you.

I've occasionally found skeletons running around the meadows murdering wildlife; escapees from the black forest apparently.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

PSA: If your construction projects are laggy as hell, it's probably because of the terraforming you did. According to a reddit post, at least. Tl;dr is that any time you adjust the terrain, whether it's digging or raising or flattening ground, you're creating an invisible object that now exists permanently in that spot (actually several of them, since adjusting one spot moves surrounding earth up/down to match). It's like instead of remembering the ground as it currently is, the game remembers how it originally was, and then adjusts it each time. Why they're doing this the hard way, and not just saving a simple height map, I have no idea. Also all of the changes have to stream to each new player when they load the area, so if you're doing multiplayer and have a heavily terraformed base, you get lag city.

I'd assume it will probably get fixed soon, but until then maybe try to match your buildings to the terrain, instead of vice versa.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

I've played for over 50 hours but have done hardly anything except build a sprawling estate with a house and grounds for all the crafting and most the storage, a honey farm and small garden, and now this house with just a beautiful view with big windows looking over the river. I put enough beds in for the four people I play with. I've not done much else but kill the 1st boss and figure out the navigation system. However, my raft disappeared twice. One of my friends has a viking long boat, so can't wait to log into his server again and go for a sail.

Don’t feel bad this is literally 90% of the game you are doing it right

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'd assume it will probably get fixed soon, but until then maybe try to match your buildings to the terrain, instead of vice versa.
Never!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

isaboo posted:

Speaking of chests do larger ones become craftable later?

They do indeed and use iron and fine wood as materials

Regarding boats disappearing, I think the random passersby tend to attack them. I dunno if you need to be around for it to happen, though. I haven't bothered building a fence surrounding my area so I hope they won't hack my longboat to pieces.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2021

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I mean if you're just moving around some dirt for your shack it should be fine. But if you decide to flatten a huge chunk of landscape to build your dream castle village and then surround it with an enormous moat, don't be surprised when your fps turns into a slideshow. I'm sure they'll fix it once they start working on some optimization. Really, for a first early access release the game is surprisingly solid.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

At a coastal outpost I lost a raft and several workbenches to the tides before I figured out what was going on. I thought enemies were spawning in or finding a way around the wall, but actually the water level was changing and destroying them. Had to park boats farther offshore and put the workbenches on higher ground.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

BobTheJanitor posted:

Really, for a first early access release the game is surprisingly solid.

This is one of my main takeaways from this tbh: it's got SO much stuff to do for a game just entering early access and it was made by 5 people. It's got some jank to smooth out and some work to do, content to add etc., for sure, but the foundation seems very solid and it's just got a certain type of charm to it that is very rare these days.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

xzzy posted:

They're pretty streaky. Will do two or three with maybe 20 iron from the scrap piles, then get one with 69 chests each with 20 scrap that takes four runs to empty.

even when you do hit the crypt lottery and walk away with a hundred or so iron, that's only like three weapon upgrades, some arrows for real heinous mobs and maybe some nails or chests.

poo poo is painfully expensive.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Martout posted:

So 2nd boss is down and it's time to branch out properly, will I be spending more time on Plains or in Swamps?

Try both and the answer will become immediately obvious.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Boats ought to just be made invincible. With teleport restrictions, boats are too valuable and expensive to be so buggy. With the added bonus if your boat ever sinks at sea, you have to deal with making a brand new boat to recover the hold.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
losing boats is a total pain when you're starting out, but even soloing there's a point where pocket karves become disposable

blowing them up takes all the suck out of a portage too, so it ain't all bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

boo boo bear posted:

losing boats is a total pain when you're starting out, but even soloing there's a point where pocket karves become disposable

blowing them up takes all the suck out of a portage too, so it ain't all bad.

Getting 80 nails is a bit annoying . At some point I'm going to take a raft, clear the spot where I lost a karve ,and make a diving board . More fun that just mining for copper

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

sinburger posted:

Try both and the answer will become immediately obvious.

I should have elaborated because don't get me wrong I know Swamp is next progression wise because Plains mobs blow me up but it seems Swamp is a biome I will make excursions into and Plains might be a place where I spend more time? idk maybe that's just down to how those biomes got structured in my particular seed, swamps are small and spread out but I found a big nice plains peninsula

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Martout posted:

I should have elaborated because don't get me wrong I know Swamp is next progression wise because Plains mobs blow me up but it seems Swamp is a biome I will make excursions into and Plains might be a place where I spend more time? idk maybe that's just down to how those biomes got structured in my particular seed, swamps are small and spread out but I found a big nice plains peninsula

I'm just working through Swamps on my play through, but my understanding is that every biome effectively forces you to learn the game mechanics in order to master the area, and then the plains are where everything culminates difficulty - wise.

In terms of where you want to spend more time? Personal preference. We have a centralized main base in the Meadows and build satellite outposts as we go and explore other biomes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The game’s economy scales with more players but I say, having 4 or so people help grind materials asynchronously is nice when it comes to a big synchronous session and getting real poo poo done.

I feel like I have the best deal as I have become the architect so I just build all day and my other friends seem to just destroy entire biomes by over-logging and over-mining until the landscape is like The Somme.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Martout posted:

My server's secondary base is a Swamp fort. You need a ton of the resources you get there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Echophonic posted:

My server's secondary base is a Swamp fort. You need a ton of the resources you get there.

A swamp tree house built high up in one of the invincible trees is a good idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Swamp can be done almost entirely with stuff portalled in, you just need to cruise a longship over at the end to pick up your metals.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We were in a good spot near a black forest, so we built a stonecutter and made a small fort with our smelters and such. Has a level 5 forge in it and will probably get to level 7 since it's between our current plains location and our base.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Swamps get trivialized if you use the hoe and a cart. Making a path through the swamp means no more stupid leeches and slowdowns. Now, the biggest hurdle to get iron out is the fact that my pickaxe keeps breaking.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Quote is not an edit gently caress.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
One feature I hope they add is a transition biome that combines elements of the two biomes that are adjacent.

Although I will preemptively say gently caress the swamp+mountain combo biome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've noticed that black forests and mountains do a pleasant treeline thing, but I don't think it's intentional.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

You can ramp a cart off a mountain side with 26 degree wood beams if you have a long enough slope. You just have to disconnect the cart after you get it going and jump out of the way. It'll blow apart on landing but the cargo is preserved and you can recover the materials. It's a fairly good way to get silver down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ughhhh posted:

Swamps get trivialized if you use the hoe and a cart. Making a path through the swamp means no more stupid leeches and slowdowns. Now, the biggest hurdle to get iron out is the fact that my pickaxe keeps breaking.

Yeah this is what I did (to the point of even raising terrain) and man it got so much more pleasant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deathsquitos are actually brosquitos.

https://i.imgur.com/J1u9I0U.mp4

(he ended up stabbing the troll to death too)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

:eng101: only female mosquitos bite, presumably all the deathsquitos you encounter are female

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
As much as I hate the goddamn swamps, they're the best area for exemplifying what makes this game stand out to me: conquer the terrain, conquer the area. Flatten that land and make coherent routes from your base to the crypts, and so much of the bullshit gets significantly easier.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

toasterwarrior posted:

As much as I hate the goddamn swamps, they're the best area for exemplifying what makes this game stand out to me: conquer the terrain, conquer the area. Flatten that land and make coherent routes from your base to the crypts, and so much of the bullshit gets significantly easier.

standing on a recently raised path taunting the leeches is good clean fun

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

standing on a recently raised path taunting the leeches is good clean fun

Just before you cave their suckers in because it's time to make those frost meads.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

For a fresh EA game it's remarkably rich and fun, but it definitely has some issues. Besides the obvious QoL and optimization work that needs to be done, the biggest gameplay issue IMO is iron. It's extremely difficult to find in large quantities and you need SO MUCH of it. Bronze, while it takes a while to mine the copper and tin, is extremely plentiful and easy to find in large deposits everywhere, but once you progress past bronze tier you almost never use it again. Iron on the other hand is used for way more gear for a way longer period, has higher resource costs for that gear (an upgraded iron mace costs 80 iron, for example), and is used throughout the game for chests, boats, and building materials. And it takes ages to find.

Even after you get the wishbone, finding deposits is slow and they net you ~6 iron, while being super tedious to mine out due to the water level. Finding a large swamp with more than 2 crypts takes a huge amount of exploring, and even then you often get duds. After weeks of playthrough on a group server we've only found 2 swamps with more than 2 crypts, and sometimes those crypts have literally zero iron in them. Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a crypt with 100+ iron, but that's rare, and given how much iron you need is still a pretty weak amount.

Then once you get to silver, it's not only much easier to find (a large mountain biome will consistently have 5+ deposits), but each deposit will consistently give you ~60 silver, and given that it's never used for buildings and doesn't there aren't many silver tools/weapons, is more than you need for most things.. Iron just feels like the odd one out, both much rarer and much higher demand than all the other metals. I hope they address that. It needs to both be more common, as well as less of a high demand material. Iron chests for example should only cost 1 iron, and iron beams should be 4m for 1 iron, instead of 2m for 1 iron. Building a two story stone building requires like 50 iron unless you want to have pillars at every other floor section.

Even black metal is really easy to gather in large amounts, once you get to the requisite gear level to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I can’t be alone when I say there in a ton about this game that reminds me of 1999 Everquest and discovering the world. That feeling...