Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Dire Lemming posted:

It's a system designed to slow down the game basically. As you work you get weary which makes you work slower and also attack slower I think? Anyway it's another system to drag out the game to the desired 90 day season timescale without actually adding content to fill that time. It's also another reason to play Bright Nights instead.

it has been in the game for half a year but you can actually tell whats going on now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It doesn't seem to do anything at all though. Like I can still grind up a skill to expertise in a day or two of book learning, and the weary malus up there never alters from a 0% penelty.
The weary gauge itself will alter seemingly at random, but does not seem to affect anything.

Maybe it's some kind mind game thing...

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it makes you slower by giving you a penalty to speed. you become weary when doing demanding activities like fighting zombies and hard manual labour! you can reduce your weariness by doing stuff like reading or sewing.
when your activity thingy says none your weariness will go down, when it says medium or extreme it will go up. this mechanic has been in the game for atleast 6 months but previously it was much less transparent and a lot buggier.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sounds like it's overly complicated, unpredictable, easily sidestepped via trivial-yet-tedious workarounds like going to sleep constantly, and has no actual effect other than to vaguely attempt to punish you for doing anything other than sitting in a bunker.

So, like half the mechanics in CDDA, then

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Let's say you accepted a mission from a NPC really early in a game. It's much later now and you've traveled very, very far. You have no idea where that NPC is anymore.

How does one find them with the intention of clearing this quest log?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Let's say you accepted a mission from a NPC really early in a game. It's much later now and you've traveled very, very far. You have no idea where that NPC is anymore.

How does one find them with the intention of clearing this quest log?
There should be an @ map marker wherever it was that you last saw them. No guarantee that they're still there, though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also, if you select the mission in the quest log, you should get a map icon for the next step in the mission. If the next step is off what you can see on the overmap, there should be a red arrow on the side of the overmap.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well huh. Two NPCs disappeared from the game. Not just from their location, they are no longer in the save file. Oh well. Still, it would be nice if the game every now and then checked to see if the target/giver exist in the world.

I'm playing Bright Nights and keep reading about the nested container system in the main branch; is that coming to BN any time soon?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well huh. Two NPCs disappeared from the game. Not just from their location, they are no longer in the save file. Oh well. Still, it would be nice if the game every now and then checked to see if the target/giver exist in the world.

I'm playing Bright Nights and keep reading about the nested container system in the main branch; is that coming to BN any time soon?
Nope, BN devs don't like it so they won't be adding it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nested containers is an awesome idea but CDDA did it horribly. The gold standard in this area is *checks notes* Project Zomboid, which is not known for having a good inventory system.

E: I was kicking around this idea in my head for a CDDA clone that embraced the per-pocket thing but there is no good way (that I have found) to streamline the UI of "I want to put this thing in my inventory" when you have 20 different places to put the thing. First thing I would do if I was king of CDDA would be to eliminate individual pockets on a single item. Unless you're simulating the time it takes for the right hand to take a thing out of a right/left pocket, there's no need to treat every pocket on a pair of cargo pants differently.

E2 \/\/ That's what I meant, my bad on language.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It has a perfectly fine inventory system, it just has a godawful inventory UI.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Nested containers is an awesome idea but CDDA did it horribly. The gold standard in this area is *checks notes* Project Zomboid, which is not known for having a good inventory system.

E: I was kicking around this idea in my head for a CDDA clone that embraced the per-pocket thing but there is no good way (that I have found) to streamline the UI of "I want to put this thing in my inventory" when you have 20 different places to put the thing. First thing I would do if I was king of CDDA would be to eliminate individual pockets on a single item. Unless you're simulating the time it takes for the right hand to take a thing out of a right/left pocket, there's no need to treat every pocket on a pair of cargo pants differently.

There was a mod way back in the day that made backpacks have their own inventory that you interacted with by using the advanced inventory system. It was a million times more easy to use than these pocket rules.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Roobanguy posted:

There was a mod way back in the day that made backpacks have their own inventory that you interacted with by using the advanced inventory system. It was a million times more easy to use than these pocket rules.

That's the only part I really want. Just to be able to put things specifically in a duffel bag and be able to drop it and pick it back up without 3/4 of my inventory randomly chosen to shoot out onto the ground.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

There's a ton of ways to do really simple, straightforward inventory nesting like this but they'd be built around inventories that are a little more abstracted in terms of size/weight capacity. Escape from Tarkov has really good container nesting because it uses a Resident Evil 4/Diablo style grid size system.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

There's a ton of ways to do really simple, straightforward inventory nesting like this but they'd be built around inventories that are a little more abstracted in terms of size/weight capacity. Escape from Tarkov has really good container nesting because it uses a Resident Evil 4/Diablo style grid size system.

Inventory Tetris on a per-container basis (think NEO Scavenger) works. Not well, but better than any other idea I've seen.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

What I'd probably do is extrapolate out how much volume you could hold by adding up all the volume you could potentially hold with the containers strapped to your body, and if it meant a player could theoretically put 3/4ths of their crowbar into a duffel bag and 1/4th into a backpack it turns out that's totally fine.

Oh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of the big problems with the system from any angle is that everything has to be perfectly enclosed. A crowbar could be fairly easy to carry in any pack in real life because you just slide it in and it takes up very little space and the rest sticks out the top or whatever. Or you make a quick loop, or you snag it on something. But there's no system in CDDA for an item that's sticking out of a backpack. You can't put a crowbar or pipe or rifle in a backpack if the barrel sticks out, it has to be completely enveloped by the fabric or there's no way to pick it up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ask for that kind of thing and all you'll get is a new mechanic where items that are too long for the container you put them in have a chance of falling out of your inventory any time you do something too strenuous or athletic, because "if it sticks out of the backpack, it's clearly not safe from sliding out of it."

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Then a mechanic where you have to secure all loads in a vehicle or else you'll get brained by a 2x4 siding in your truck when you make a sharp stop.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Give me a 'velcro-like skin' mutation line.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Give everyone the velcro skin mutation, throw in some multipliers for dexterity and stealth, call it a day.

Oh.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'd probably go with you just have one big mass of inventory, but you can proactively assign stuff to particular items of clothing within that inventory. Anything that you assign to your clothes instead of your backpack definitely won't get dropped. Anything you assign to the backpack definitely will. Anything that isn't assigned, will follow the previous rules for dropping stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

I'd probably go with you just have one big mass of inventory, but you can proactively assign stuff to particular items of clothing within that inventory. Anything that you assign to your clothes instead of your backpack definitely won't get dropped. Anything you assign to the backpack definitely will. Anything that isn't assigned, will follow the previous rules for dropping stuff.
Just put like, a manual priority on any items you want and if it fits in the remaining volume capacity it'll be dropped in reverse order of priority. Stuff gets dropped at random except the stuff you're intentionally not dropping. Seems easy.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
you can kinda do that with the favorite system

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Do we actually have any reports from the nightly branch on how the nested containers are working out on main? I was fascinated when I heard they were trying to do it and the stuff about pockets eating everything in them randomly and so on, but I haven't had time to investigate it myself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't played in months but at the time they were working fine. I didn't run into much in the way of bugs, and beyond the aforementioned problem of rifles, crowbars, and similar long items fitting into almost nothing, it did as advertised. It was actually pretty convenient being able to keep specific items on me at all times, or sort priorities for auto-pickup.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Saman posted:

Do we actually have any reports from the nightly branch on how the nested containers are working out on main? I was fascinated when I heard they were trying to do it and the stuff about pockets eating everything in them randomly and so on, but I haven't had time to investigate it myself.

they have been in the game for almost 10 months now so it works very well. they have made a lot of very good changes to the game as a result of the new container system, a few weeks ago they even fixed a bug with oxygen tanks that has been in the game for atleast 4 years!!!

every single item in the game has basically been reworked in the last 10 months, most of the items that were previously implemented in lovely hackish ways have been either fixed or made irelevant because of the new system, the game is so much better imho.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I did like that there was now a lot of open room to play with in terms of game design, when it came to backpacks. It's not just about carrying space to encumbrance. Now there's factors to consider like internal dimensions. Plus, since encumbrance for most containers scales based on how full that container is, wearing an empty backpack doesn't weigh you down during combat and you don't need to keep taking it off.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I gotta ask, is there a reason to use that NPC Survivor Camp option that I'm missing?

Because while it's nice to have the ability to automate some of the tedium of the game, it's less nice to spend several months building the place (and raiding a few lumber mills and home improvement stores to do so).

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think it's just a goal in itself.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's a goal/ timesink when you have basically done everything else.

Everyone who I have seen discuss it is pretty upfront that you can do like 80% of things the base does without the base as long as you know how to use zones.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why not just remove volume from the inventory system

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Stairmaster posted:

Why not just remove volume from the inventory system

Then you can carry around too many 10 ft poles and that's very unrealistic *proceeds to drive into a giant skeleton zombie with my home made electric tank*

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lately I've gotten pretty bored with the game, but for some reason taking the wayfarer trait got me back in. Don't get me wrong, the deathmobiles are probably the best part of the game. But having to hoof it everywhere changes the dynamic completely. Suddenly there's a reason to build bases and prioritize what you loot.

If I were a normal person I'd just do all the challenge starts but I am not good enough at the game to complete any of them. So wayfarer is my challenge start I guess.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lately I've gotten pretty bored with the game, but for some reason taking the wayfarer trait got me back in. Don't get me wrong, the deathmobiles are probably the best part of the game. But having to hoof it everywhere changes the dynamic completely. Suddenly there's a reason to build bases and prioritize what you loot.

If I were a normal person I'd just do all the challenge starts but I am not good enough at the game to complete any of them. So wayfarer is my challenge start I guess.

The secret to challenge starts is that 99% of it is based on the RNG and to restart if conditions are not optimal.

Like certain starts you absolutely can not do if certain (admittedly fairly common) items do not drop or spawn.

For example my prison escape strat that worked 3/4 of the time was reliant on some source of light or ignition being dropped so that I could see enough to craft the materials needed to escape.

The very bad day start is another. If your RNG dictates that no antibiotics spawn OR that all your doses fail then you die in 24 hours.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 4, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
VBD was a lot better when first aid kits could cure infections. nowadays they should really just change it so you're addicted to cocaine or something.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like the army base start, and mainly dwelling in the tunnel system below the base. Sightlines are perfect for m249s etc to just go wild vs a packed corridor.

It was interesting, most of the corpses were below ground leaving the surface mostly ok aside from bash damage from zombies upstairs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mountain Lightning posted:

I gotta ask, is there a reason to use that NPC Survivor Camp option that I'm missing?

Because while it's nice to have the ability to automate some of the tedium of the game, it's less nice to spend several months building the place (and raiding a few lumber mills and home improvement stores to do so).

Time to add a stacking 'loneliness' debuff to morale if you spend too much time without nearby NPCs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Time to add a stacking 'loneliness' debuff to morale if you spend too much time without nearby NPCs.

Thats what your best friend the Gracken is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can you tame the noble gracken and put it in a pet carrier?