Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do wish as you climbed tiers, some of the previous tier stuff would just naturally fall into your lap. Kind of like the leather scraps from sewer crypts.. maybe not enough to never need to visit old content again, going back and farming stuff is part of the game, but at least give us something.

Folding old materials into new tiers is important too, I really need something to do with the two crates of troll leather I got collecting dust.

Also you should get extra meat drops from deer kills as your skill climbs. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd be happier if iron veins spawned in the mountains, so you can keep getting it there and only have to go back to swamps for entrails and bloodbags. The fauna in the mountains is already extremely dangerous to anyone not wearing iron at minimum anyway.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd be happier if iron veins spawned in the mountains, so you can keep getting it there and only have to go back to swamps for entrails and bloodbags. The fauna in the mountains is already extremely dangerous to anyone not wearing iron at minimum anyway.

I like this idea. Really there just needs to be real iron veins instead of just "scrap piles" which drop iron inconsistently (along with other crap like leather and bones).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Taffer posted:

For a fresh EA game it's remarkably rich and fun, but it definitely has some issues. Besides the obvious QoL and optimization work that needs to be done, the biggest gameplay issue IMO is iron. It's extremely difficult to find in large quantities and you need SO MUCH of it. Bronze, while it takes a while to mine the copper and tin, is extremely plentiful and easy to find in large deposits everywhere, but once you progress past bronze tier you almost never use it again. Iron on the other hand is used for way more gear for a way longer period, has higher resource costs for that gear (an upgraded iron mace costs 80 iron, for example), and is used throughout the game for chests, boats, and building materials. And it takes ages to find.

Even after you get the wishbone, finding deposits is slow and they net you ~6 iron, while being super tedious to mine out due to the water level. Finding a large swamp with more than 2 crypts takes a huge amount of exploring, and even then you often get duds. After weeks of playthrough on a group server we've only found 2 swamps with more than 2 crypts, and sometimes those crypts have literally zero iron in them. Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a crypt with 100+ iron, but that's rare, and given how much iron you need is still a pretty weak amount.

Then once you get to silver, it's not only much easier to find (a large mountain biome will consistently have 5+ deposits), but each deposit will consistently give you ~60 silver, and given that it's never used for buildings and doesn't there aren't many silver tools/weapons, is more than you need for most things.. Iron just feels like the odd one out, both much rarer and much higher demand than all the other metals. I hope they address that. It needs to both be more common, as well as less of a high demand material. Iron chests for example should only cost 1 iron, and iron beams should be 4m for 1 iron, instead of 2m for 1 iron. Building a two story stone building requires like 50 iron unless you want to have pillars at every other floor section.

Even black metal is really easy to gather in large amounts, once you get to the requisite gear level to get it.

I've had the opposite experience for these metals. The former we have in abundance, a few big swamps with tons of crypts nearby. The latter's been a loving hassle of multiple zero-vein mountains that I think we're past now that I've got my level 4 Frostner and we have enough for capes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah I'd like to see some more skills like a cooking skill that boosts the values or duration of foods, maybe sailing? Something that makes single player progression better and encourages specialization in groups.

Also I think golems should drop copper, tin, and iron so they become more farmable for post-bonemass.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My starting stone circle was on a nice coastline, so I built my base right up next to it. Like, my outer wall couldn't be moved another inch over without running into 'a mysterious force' stopping me from building. Since then I haven't really felt the need to move. I just create bare bones outposts where I'm working and slap a portal down. In the black forest I commandeered a crumbling stone tower and slapped up some wooden walls in the holes and enough roof overhang for a usable crafting bench. In the swamp it's less than that, just a small rectangle of pole walls with enough room for the portal and a fire and crafting bench under some thatch tiles held up by a couple of beams.

Folks who build giant furnished separate bases in multiple biomes, I salute your tenacity. But I've always found with survival games that I gravitate towards function over looks. Doesn't matter if my forge junk is crammed into a tight corner with half of it outside the building. Does it work? Good enough. I always go in planning to slow down and build something nice, but then in the moment I get fixated on the next progression goal and never take time to spruce things up. I appreciate that Valheim makes decorating your home have a functional impact on the game, really, because that encourages me to at least stop and put up a table and chairs, maybe a nice banner, etc.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I'd love to get a buff for sailing or cooking, since my friends make me sail most of the time. I also generally fly in Warframe's Railjack. I might just be the captain in my gaming crew?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also I think golems should drop copper, tin, and iron so they become more farmable for post-bonemass.

Oh that's brilliant

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I kind of wish there were portal upgrades that required the metal of the next tier that would then allow you to portal the metal of the previous tier. Like you build an iron portal and congrats, now you can teleport tin/copper. Build a silver portal and now you can teleport both of those and also iron, etc. Keeps the original progression and transport challenges in place, but means that you don't have to go back to sailing for 10 minutes both ways because you needed another 3 bits of iron for a project.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

I kind of wish there were portal upgrades that required the metal of the next tier that would then allow you to portal the metal of the previous tier. Like you build an iron portal and congrats, now you can teleport tin/copper. Build a silver portal and now you can teleport both of those and also iron, etc. Keeps the original progression and transport challenges in place, but means that you don't have to go back to sailing for 10 minutes both ways because you needed another 3 bits of iron for a project.

Fwiw it's probably one of the most requested things I see on their discord.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy poo poo it can actually happen!!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

Holy poo poo it can actually happen!!

Having the wind directly behind you is actually slower you fool!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I kinda don't want to do any more playing until the next big patch comes out.

I still need to conquer the plains but I don't want to run in to a spot where the next stage is a cool but empty biome.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

They should just have the swamp boss drop a thing that lets you turn off the rain in the swamp, and I'd almost be happy.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Vanadium posted:

They should just have the swamp boss drop a thing that lets you turn off the rain in the swamp, and I'd almost be happy.

If you move quickly into a swamp biome from a brighter nicer place the game doesn't load the biome lighting fast enough and everything looks so much better and all the enemies have bright beautiful colors.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Having the wind directly behind you is actually slower you fool!

please explain

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Taffer posted:

please explain

If you look at the wind gauge you’ll notice the color gradient. You actually get best speed running perpendicular to the wind. Even tacking a bit at an angle to get out of the grey color of the wind directly at your back will help.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
since we're wishing for stuff, domesticating a boar and then taking it for a walk should make mushrooms sparkle like dropped loot.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Taffer posted:

please explain

A sail perpendicular to the wind will catch more of the push than one at a right angle.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlueGrot posted:

A sail perpendicular to the wind will catch more of the push than one at a right angle.

Only if your vessel has a keel

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ughhhh posted:

If you move quickly into a swamp biome from a brighter nicer place the game doesn't load the biome lighting fast enough and everything looks so much better and all the enemies have bright beautiful colors.

I noticed that this evening. Upon observing a leech I believe my quote was, “that sum bitch is purple”. Quite pretty IMO. That said I understand what they’re going for with the rain. Might be nice if it was only like 90% of the time instead of 100.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Only if your vessel has a keel

Ofc.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Peprpendicular is a right angle tho

Warbird posted:

I noticed that this evening. Upon observing a leech I believe my quote was, “that sum bitch is purple”. Quite pretty IMO. That said I understand what they’re going for with the rain. Might be nice if it was only like 90% of the time instead of 100.

I think the purple leeches are 1 or 2 star ones. same with purple greydwarves and the blue Necks

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Whats interesting is 'iron ore' exists as a game asset you can spawn from the cheat menu. So ya, REALLY hoping veins become a thing more sooner than later.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t be alone when I say there in a ton about this game that reminds me of 1999 Everquest and discovering the world. That feeling...

It’s obviously a very different type of game, but I get huge morrowind vibes. There are some very specific things that make me feel that, like the atmosphere of the burial chambers, but in general it’s really just that feeling of a unique and interesting open world.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Taffer posted:

please explain

poo poo's complicated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forces_on_sails

Taffer posted:

Even after you get the wishbone, finding deposits is slow and they net you ~6 iron, while being super tedious to mine out due to the water level. Finding a large swamp with more than 2 crypts takes a huge amount of exploring, and even then you often get duds. After weeks of playthrough on a group server we've only found 2 swamps with more than 2 crypts, and sometimes those crypts have literally zero iron in them. Of course sometimes you get lucky and find a crypt with 100+ iron, but that's rare, and given how much iron you need is still a pretty weak amount.

I mean that feels just like a situation where more exploration is called for. Our first swamp had exactly zero crypts in it, and we kept looking till we found one that had a bunch; in the end, 17. Those crypts once mined out have provided enough iron for 8 people. There is frankly no sense in using the wishbone to find iron, since it gives you so little. Just look for swamps using your Mk. 1 Eyeballs.

A Karve is plenty capable of hauling out a person, a portal, and even the supplies for a forge to make the tools right there if you don't want to dick around gathering them locally.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 1, 2021

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Peprpendicular is a right angle tho

Blerp english is my second language. I meant diagonal/oblique.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Well I got a karv set up to go across the world since my Elder was apparently spawned over there. I get over there and for some reason my Elder summoning area is inside a swamp surrounded by plains. Also a sea monster destroyed my boat and then me. Grabbed my corpse run gear and had back-up materials for another Karv, then went back on my way. Stayed a bit closer to the coastline once I got nearby, in the hopes of avoiding a sea-monster spawning. Got almost to my corpse and then all of a sudden I was caught on a sandbar and two skeletons in armor killed me pretty much immediately. Is my first grave with my poo poo gone? Cause if so I think I'm gonna create a new world cause sailing half across the entire diameter of the world is really not fun just to get to the next boss.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Well I got a karv set up to go across the world since my Elder was apparently spawned over there. I get over there and for some reason my Elder summoning area is inside a swamp surrounded by plains. Also a sea monster destroyed my boat and then me. Grabbed my corpse run gear and had back-up materials for another Karv, then went back on my way. Stayed a bit closer to the coastline once I got nearby, in the hopes of avoiding a sea-monster spawning. Got almost to my corpse and then all of a sudden I was caught on a sandbar and two skeletons in armor killed me pretty much immediately. Is my first grave with my poo poo gone? Cause if so I think I'm gonna create a new world cause sailing half across the entire diameter of the world is really not fun just to get to the next boss.

The marker is gone but if you get to the actual location the grave/stuff will still be there. This is why if you die it's good to place a custom marker down.

Edit: also the boss fights can be done in multiple places, you're only shown the closest one. There's ways to see the other locations in game but I don't remember right now how.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 1, 2021

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I got tired of running out of room for stuff. Guess I'll go find Elder now. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pik_d posted:

Edit: also the boss fights can be done in multiple places, you're only shown the closest one. There's ways to see the other locations in game but I don't remember right now how.

For the Elder, just sail your boat in the other direction for a while , find a Black Forest, and hit up some burial grounds until you find another marker.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
did the longboats always have a ladder on both sides?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Yes, and that's good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big boat has them on both sides, the karve only on one

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, and that's good.

Yea it was annoying as hell in the karve

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

pik_d posted:

Each boss has multiple spawning points (i don't know the exact number, it may vary) and the runes that reveal their location always reveal the nearest one. So if you want another spawn location, head out in a different direction and explore the necessary biome (black forest for elder, swamp for bonemass, etc).

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Base image dump incoming.

My friend and I set off in our Karve after killing the Elder, hoping to find a sweet, iron-filled swamp. We found a swamp biome on the next continent, almost got killed checking it out, then put up a hut in the meadows next to it. I then spent a billion hours digging this moat and terraforming the earth to make it secure from invasions before exploring the swamp further, only to find that it has 0 crypts. So now we're sailing away in search of crypt-laden biomes, but we'll keep this as our main base for a while yet, it's just so nicely functional. It's also right up to a big mountain biome which should be a benefit once we're done with the swamps.

The only weird thing is that we've never, in about 16 hours of playtime on this base, had a base invasion event. There was once that was activated at our first home, which went on for quite a long time since we weren't there, but it's never happened on this base. Do we need to destroy the old beds for it to occur or something?

csidle fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 1, 2021

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Echophonic posted:

I've had the opposite experience for these metals. The former we have in abundance, a few big swamps with tons of crypts nearby. The latter's been a loving hassle of multiple zero-vein mountains that I think we're past now that I've got my level 4 Frostner and we have enough for capes.
The first line of this has been my overriding impression from a large server, and many different friends playing solo or as groups. The experience is inconsistent person to person and server to server.

Is that something that needs changing or not? I don’t know. I have seen very few examples where that inconsistency is insurmountable, but I’m sure there are extreme examples that rob the game of its joy. And everyone has their own hurdle that needed them to explore and expand.

For me; our server had some initial challenge with iron. We didn’t have an abundance of swamps with crypts nearby, and it prompted a Great Expansion where people set sail in various directions looking for their own swamps to plunder. In contrast, that exploration meant we knew where a lot of mountains were. With distributed smelting and smithing all over the world, it was trivial to exploit those mountains and push through to the end of silver in a handful of hours (this is also aided by silver clearly not being content complete, and having a narrower number of items to upgrade).

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I may be overthinking the fortification game for our hut in the meadows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kinda, but special attacks can and will occur in any base. Had a pack of trolls show up in our spawn base one time.