Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I liked Helstrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Okay I'm already regretting opening this can of worms, haha.

So we're in a MCU timeline where all of the following are true:
- Thanos destroyed the stones.
- The time-travel heist happened, creating multiple timelines, one of which being the current MCU one where all of the Avengers successfully returned with the stones.
- Cap went back in time to try to put the stones back, creating yet-more timelines, one of which being the current MCU one where somehow he was successful at preserving most/all original events, including everything which happened in IW/Endgame.

Side question: Was it addressed how Cap planned on putting back the offworld stones?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jassa posted:

Side question: Was it addressed how Cap planned on putting back the offworld stones?
It was not but since the Guardians presumably socialized with the main crew and Nebula's been around a while, there wasn't much trouble getting him offworld transport.

Cap on a Ravager ship sounds like fun.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it was awkward when he went to return the Soul Stone

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/C_GraceT/status/1366065188227710979?s=20

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cap didn't create any alternate realities so long as he put the stones back right where the rest of the team got him.

Why are people so mad about that grief line? I thought it was pretty good, especially the way Bettany delivered it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Everyone that uses twitter has a broken brain, basically. Myself included

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kathy Najimy liked a post I made and my Twitter has been downhill ever since that peak.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i feel like any piece of dramatic dialogue written anywhere will forever have a division of people who think it's deep and insightful and people who think tryhard shallow bullshit

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Codependent Poster posted:

Cap didn't create any alternate realities so long as he put the stones back right where the rest of the team got him.

Why are people so mad about that grief line? I thought it was pretty good, especially the way Bettany delivered it.

Him staying in the past to dance with Peggy before the two of them spent the next 50 years kicking Hydra rear end created a pretty fun sounding alternate reality that I hope Loki gets to visit

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah Bruce was really specific with The Ancient One about that. Not sure where exactly everyone is getting "six new divergent timelines" from.

quote:

It's pithy and even a little trite, and it's a superhero show reaching for profundity. It's basically fresh bait for everyone who wants to hate the big mainstream "thing" du jour. I don't blame them-- if I wasn't into this stuff it must be the most insufferable crap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why can’t it just be what it is, a bittersweet line from one comic book character trying to comfort another?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m excited to see Loki as D.B. Cooper.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The new timeline idea is because when they went back the first time it created a split timeline, so when Steve tries to go back the second time then logically it should take him back to another split timeline, not a version where he can replace stones (the stones won't get abducted in the timeline he goes back to because they can't change the past - that's the whole premise).

The way they talk about it it's as though Steve is expected to go back in time to the alternate timeline and hide from both the original Avengers and the endgame Avengers, until the moment he can replace the stones. Which is ironically how time travel works in back to the future 2.

Basically it doesn't make much sense. No time travel media does. It makes even less sense when you try and wonder how Steve returned from the alternate timeline where he got married.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
In Endgame:

Ancient One: if you take the stones out of time it will create other timelines
Hulk: not if we go put them back when we're done

me, a stupid idiot: yeah that makes sense

brainful geniususes all over the internet: okaY BuT WHAT IF they made MULTIPLE. timelines? the thing that they had, said wasn't the thing,. what if there's is a new timleinel

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Perhaps one of the new branching timelines will feature Dracula and the Wolfman and maybe even Frankenstein’s monster. The Mummy could show up and cuss someone out.

MCU and Universal Monsters together at long last.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why can’t it just be what it is, a bittersweet line from one comic book character trying to comfort another?

Because twitter is a hell of our own making, that's why.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Gonz posted:

Perhaps one of the new branching timelines will feature Dracula and the Wolfman and maybe even Frankenstein’s monster. The Mummy could show up and cuss someone out.

Marvel's already got this covered. They've all been around for a long time.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 1, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because when they post lines from great novels 1 in 5 tweets get a retweet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonz posted:

WandaVision season 2: monster squad

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Marvel's already got this covered. They've all been around for a long time.

HOLY HELL

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bleck posted:

In Endgame:

brainful geniususes all over the internet: okaY BuT WHAT IF they made MULTIPLE. timelines? the thing that they had, said wasn't the thing,. what if there's is a new timleinel

Didn't Endgame have a stinger with things going different with Loki in the past because of the time travel changes?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They absolutely created divergent timelines with the time heists. The Winter Soldier would have played out very differently if Sitwell thought Cap was Hydra, for one.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Didn't Endgame have a stinger with things going different with Loki in the past because of the time travel changes?

Endgame had no during or post credits scenes. Loki exited the narrative once he teleported away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dracula has basically been a Marvel villain for years, Blade and all, and has fought everyone from the X-Men to Luke Cage.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dracula has basically been a Marvel villain for years, Blade and all, and has fought everyone from the X-Men to Luke Cage.

Yeah, but he's no MICHAEL MORBIUS!

Fetch me the NEOGENIC RECOMBINATOR!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The United States posted:

They absolutely created divergent timelines with the time heists. The Winter Soldier would have played out very differently if Sitwell thought Cap was Hydra, for one.

Thanos (and Nebula and his whole army) are dead in the Power Stone timeline, which will probably have some positive effects, but also Gamora is gone, which means that the Guardians don't exist and that there's no one to stop Ronan from destroying Xander/generally being a space tyrant.

But considering that he escaped with a mindstone, Sitwell will probably just it was Loki in the elevator when Cap starts roughing him up. Though with Loki gone, there's no one to hide Odin on Earth so Ragnarok gets all messed up.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 1, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The question I got asked more than any other after Endgame is where did Loki go? What happened to Loki? This series will tell you what happened to Loki right after that. He goes to a number of places.
Pretty hyped for Sliders But Loki

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sticklefifer posted:

Pretty hyped for Sliders But Loki

Starring Sabrina Lloyd

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7bZOJV3v8

Olsen spoiled the whole show for us four years ago

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My main takeaway from all that was the shot of Elizabeth Olsen holding a D20 cutout just made me imagine how horrible she'd be as a D'n'D player. "Oh boy, another natural 20; what are the odds!". Her, or Domino.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bleck posted:

In Endgame:

Seriously they do a visual diagram and everything, and Banner explains before the time travel that anything they do to change the past becomes the past retroactively. It's silly nonsense but all of this stuff is.

kilus aof posted:

Because when they post lines from great novels 1 in 5 tweets get a retweet.
:hmmyes:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

tsob posted:

My main takeaway from all that was the shot of Elizabeth Olsen holding a D20 cutout just made me imagine how horrible she'd be as a D'n'D player. "Oh boy, another natural 20; what are the odds!". Her, or Domino.

Now I want a weird Marvel sketch show just so I can see a sketch where Scarlet Witch, Domino, Destiny, Black Cat and Longshot are all playing DND.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The same source that gave accurate info on the runtime of previous episodes has said that ep 9 will be 50 minutes long, and that there is no 10th episode.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

mind the walrus posted:

Seriously they do a visual diagram and everything, and Banner explains before the time travel that anything they do to change the past becomes the past retroactively. It's silly nonsense but all of this stuff is.

That's explicitly what Banner says doesn't happen - they can't change the past. Otherwise Thanos would have already have been dead well before Infinity War since they kill 2014 Thanos. They go back in time and change things, but those changes are now localised in a new timeline - they will affect the future of that timeline but not the original Prime timeline (which has an immutable past). The problem is that logic is inconsistent with the idea of 1) replacing the stones at the moment they were taken (because all the stone heist stuff was never part of their pasts, and within those timelines the reappearance of Steve just causes another timeline split), and also 2) Steve going the long way around to meet up at the time machine at the end of the film.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ravel posted:

That's explicitly what Banner says doesn't happen - they can't change the past. Otherwise Thanos would have already have been dead well before Infinity War since they kill 2014 Thanos. They go back in time and change things, but those changes are now localised in a new timeline - they will affect the future of that timeline but not the original Prime timeline (which has an immutable past). The problem is that logic is inconsistent with the idea of 1) replacing the stones at the moment they were taken (because all the stone heist stuff was never part of their pasts, and within those timelines the reappearance of Steve just causes another timeline split), and also 2) Steve going the long way around to meet up at the time machine at the end of the film.

Except we are also told that the Infinity Stones are what creates timelines so basically the film says don't think about it too much but also there aren't other timelines really spinning off.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thebardyspoon posted:

Now I want a weird Marvel sketch show just so I can see a sketch where Scarlet Witch, Domino, Destiny, Black Cat and Longshot are all playing DND.

Nah, if Destiny's playing, she's the GM since her future sight is about the only thing that might be able to gently caress with all the players rolling constant nat 20s. Or maybe you get a Uata to do it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Except we are also told that the Infinity Stones are what creates timelines so basically the film says don't think about it too much but also there aren't other timelines really spinning off.
Yeah the Thanos thing is a bit of a hole, I can see that, but otherwise the film plays by its own logic very well, I feel. There's really no other spot where I think "the only way to explain this is via a divergent timeline." Peggy and Steve could have kept their stuff on the downlow after the 70s (presumably where he went back to), Loki can get back to his Thor 2 timeline very easily, and everything else washes out very cleanly.

I just think that with Multiverses becoming an explicit thing, they don't want to complicate matters further by going "oh and also there are these divergent timelines." Multiverse is already a hard enough sell, why increase the granularity there?

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

Ravel posted:

The problem is that logic is inconsistent with the idea of 1) replacing the stones at the moment they were taken (because all the stone heist stuff was never part of their pasts, and within those timelines the reappearance of Steve just causes another timeline split)

Agree with all the other stuff you said, but I don't see how this is really a problem.

So they go back in time to get the stones, and when they do, it causes a split: Timeline 1, where they DIDN'T re-enter the past to borrow the stones (i.e. the main MCU); and Timeline 2 where they DID re-enter the past to borrow the stones. In Timeline 2, Loki escapes, Sitwell thinks Cap is Hydra, and eventually their Thanos leaves and dies, so Timeline 2 ends up with some noticable differences from Timeline 1.

When Cap returns to the past to return the stones, he has a couple of options. He could return to his own past, the timeline where the stones were never borrowed - doing so would create Timeline 3, a universe with two sets of stones, the untouched original set plus the returned set. Obviously that's not what he wants to do. OR, he could re-enter Timeline 2 at a later point, and yes, doing so creates a split - Timeline 2.1, where the stones are borrowed and NOT returned (the default, which according to the Ancient One will be hosed), and Timeline 2.2, where the stones are borrowed and in fact returned by Cap.

Is it depressing to think that the doomed Timeline 2.1 exists, and cannot be prevented from existing? I guess yes, but the nature of a branching universe is that (even without time travel) there are an infinite number of what-if timelines doomed because the Avengers failed at any number of critical points. They lost to Loki here, they lost to Cul Obsidian there. Nobody can stop those timelines from existing either. The best one can hope for is that you can work towards *some* timelines out there that get a good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are no timeline splits. Every individual has their own personal timeline (which is why your past can never be your future). When you access the quantum real all of time is happening 'simultaneously' at once and you get to move from moment to moment at will without worrying about causality beyond what happens to you. Unless you pick up a magic infinity stone, in which case consequences suddenly get very real.