Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why is everybody so crazy for Else Ring? Has there ever even been any gameplay footage? I thought there was just one cg trailer like 3 years ago

Because of everything the studio produced before.

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls 1-3

Bloodborne

Sekiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Blind Rasputin posted:

I dunno, every time I fire Pierce in Control I feel like I’m about to lose half my hand in a lithium explosion and that’s retry rad.

yeah Control has made great use of the haptics

Where is this full Elden Ring trailer!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why is everybody so crazy for Else Ring? Has there ever even been any gameplay footage? I thought there was just one cg trailer like 3 years ago

FROM Software title, with the story writer being George R.R. Martin, so everyone is just assuming it'll be completely batshit bananas good.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah pretty nuts that people are nuts for the newest game from the developers of five of the best games in the last ten years

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never played A FROM game except a demo of Dark Souls. I'll probably get around to trying Bloodeborne at some point

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ineffiable posted:

Because of everything the studio produced before.
You'd think people would learn from when they said the exact same thing about Cyberpunk.

I mean, I trust From to make a good game way more than I ever trusted CDPR to do so, but still.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The FROM games such as the Souls and Bloodbornes and the like are very good at what they set out to be, but I never understood the rabid obsession people have with insisting they’re the end all be all of gaming. They’re certainly not for everyone.

I’ve beaten a handful of them, they’re compelling and evocative and challenging as gently caress. But constantly championing them as the best games ever released always puzzled me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yeah pretty nuts that people are nuts for the newest game from the developers of five of the best games in the last ten years

Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro... what’s the fifth one?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Cardiovorax posted:

You'd think people would learn from when they said the exact same thing about Cyberpunk.

I mean, I trust From to make a good game way more than I ever trusted CDPR to do so, but still.

From Software has the cache to literally saying NOTHING about the game except for one trailer that doesn't explain anything. That is the only official/believable thing and that's how excited people are for it.

Cyberpunk on the other hand had years and years of constant insane promises and pre-rendered video that everyone was led to believe was real and on PC/last gen hardware.

Of course there is always a chance Elden Ring will be disappointing, but it won't be on hype or false promises. Plus also they made fucken bloodborne dark souls demons souls and sekiro

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Demons Souls (2020) you pedantic rear end!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

dark souls 2 and demons souls and eternal ring and deceare and kings fields and and and

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Like anytime someone in the PS4 thread was like hey guys what game should I get for my new system the same handful of people come out to scream how Bloodborne is the greatest game of all time play that. But I can think of plenty of other titles that are just as good and probably a lot more accessible to a wider audience.

I’m not saying they aren’t good and unique games, but the rabid following they’ve cultivated is a bit much sometimes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fedule posted:

(it's like a whole system that doesn't do anything except trick some players into feeling like garbage)

Yeah Sekiro rules I agree

Bloodborne has the fan base it does because it’s extremely rare for an action video game to hit on all the levels it does. Bloodborne is a surprisingly emotionally and psychologically resonant game for a lot of people who otherwise don’t connect with video games in the same way, and conversely if you’re someone who really loves VIDEO GAMES, there are some for whom Bloodborne is basically The Best Video Game.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 1, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bows1 posted:

Demons Souls (2020) you pedantic rear end!

FROM didn't make that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

man nurse posted:

Like anytime someone in the PS4 thread was like hey guys what game should I get for my new system the same handful of people come out to scream how Bloodborne is the greatest game of all time play that. But I can think of plenty of other titles that are just as good and probably a lot more accessible to a wider audience.

I’m not saying they aren’t good and unique games, but the rabid following they’ve cultivated is a bit much sometimes.

yes but, and hear me out, they should play bloodborne.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't care about FROM until they bring back Chromehounds.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

I’ve beaten a handful of them, they’re compelling and evocative and challenging as gently caress. But constantly championing them as the best games ever released always puzzled me.

Not sure how Opinions being subjective puzzles you? A lot of people have Nintendo ips in their greatest of all time but I don't rate any of them highly except Fire Emblem series.

Fromsoft games are some of my favorite games but I can completely see why someone would not like any of their games(since they are very similar).

Aidan_702 posted:

From Software has the cache to literally saying NOTHING about the game except for one trailer that doesn't explain anything. That is the only official/believable thing and that's how excited people are for it.

Cyberpunk on the other hand had years and years of constant insane promises and pre-rendered video that everyone was led to believe was real and on PC/last gen hardware.

Of course there is always a chance Elden Ring will be disappointing, but it won't be on hype or false promises. Plus also they made fucken bloodborne dark souls demons souls and sekiro

Ya honestly if this game is a buggy mess or it's complete shight. It isn't really Fromsoft or Bandai Namco's fault in terms of marketing. They have in fact not marketed it at all.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

metal wolf chaos

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Aidan_702 posted:

Just saying, maybe getting way overenthusiastic about games we barely know anything about yet is... not good?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

metal wolf chaos

That came out more than 10 years ago

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

From Software and Miyazaki have a much better track record than CDPR. Cmon man

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CDPR have only released one game that's a Genuine Certified All-Time Classic, and they've been coasting on the good will from that game for six years

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That came out more than 10 years ago

its remaster didnt. :smuggo:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

its remaster didnt. :smuggo:

FROM didn't do that either!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dark Souls literally redefined gaming in the 2010s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The decade of Dork Quarrels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:siren: I don't care about FROM until they bring back Chromehounds. :siren:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

I said come in! posted:

:siren: I don't care about FROM until they bring back Chromehounds. :siren:

i have one on the shelf the real question is can you play on fanservers since the real ones are long gone

ask me about playing pso i and ii plus on gcn on fanservers yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I finished Shadow of the Tomb raider and I know this series is basically considered a lesser Uncharted but I have to say I think it did a better job past the first chapter of making me not actually mind having to kill the villains. In Uncharted I always feel bad about how many people I gotta kill but in the second 2/3rds of Shadow I was like "gently caress these assholes"

I guess I didn't care for all the Yaaxil the game asked me to kill but also it made them sufficiently scary that it seemed more like self defense.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I hope Elden Ring isn't too open world. I'm tired of open world.

But, their game design is exceptional so I am still very keen to see what its all about :).

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Cardiovorax posted:

Just saying, maybe getting way overenthusiastic about games we barely know anything about yet is... not good?

Absolutely it's not a good idea. But, Dark Souls and Bloodborne (and Sekiro) are my favourite games of all time, by quite a margin. If it's nothing but just "more of that" I will feel totally content and the hype will have been worth it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

henpod posted:

I hope Elden Ring isn't too open world. I'm tired of open world.

But, their game design is exceptional so I am still very keen to see what its all about :).

I can’t see From falling into the traps that make open world games trash. They are probably not going to have slay n of creature x, talk to guy at point A then talk to guy at point B (on other side of map), yellow exclamation marks everywhere type of junk. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t even give you a map

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FROM didn't do that either!!!

what is FROM but a miserable pile of secrets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, usually it's a pretty excellent pile of secrets.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

punished milkman posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t even give you a map

This would own so hard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Casnorf posted:

i have one on the shelf the real question is can you play on fanservers since the real ones are long gone

ask me about playing pso i and ii plus on gcn on fanservers yes

There isn't, I would buy a Xbox 360 again if I could. I still have my copy too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man sure would be nice if PS remote play wasn’t such a piece of poo poo that disconnected me constantly for no reason at all

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

I said come in! posted:

There isn't, I would buy a Xbox 360 again if I could. I still have my copy too.

we should fix this

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FROM didn't make that.

Oh I was told that they used their original coding for all the gameplay and just revised the graphics, I didn't know that bluePoint rewrote all the code as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man sure would be nice if PS remote play wasn’t such a piece of poo poo that disconnected me constantly for no reason at all

Drop down to uggo resolution and it happens less