Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
cars: still bad
traffic: still bad
roni: still killing loads
but at least we are one month closer to eternal peace and rest

this is a chat thread, you better chat and be chill.
in fun news i finally got a flat (yay) which i cant park my car at (boooooo)
so i guess i'll have to walk to where my car lives but at least i dont have to wear pants anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big dong wanter posted:

but at least i dont have to wear pants anymore

It's the small things that truly matter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I still wear pants on weekdays. They're what signal me to get into work mode.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
upside boys and girls: this march is probably going to be significantly less lovely than last march

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

I still wear pants on weekdays. They're what signal me to get into work mode.
Literally same. The one thing I still do is dress in my work clothes weekdays, even though I work from home 85% of the time. Other 15% of the time I'm at a clients and most of those would rather I remember to wear work clothes too.

But, I will admit, getting this extra 30-45 min sleep in on work days is nice and going to suck when I can't anymore. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

But, I will admit, getting this extra 30-45 min sleep in on work days is nice and going to suck when I can't anymore. :(

I still wake up around the same time. I'm going to miss pre-work coffee+youtube hanging out on the couch with my cat time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Kicking this month off right. Went to bed last night at like 10PM and got a full 8 hours.
Feels weird.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I don't have any new pet pics for this month so here's a picture I drew of Stormy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Kicking this month off right. Went to bed last night at like 10PM and got a full 8 hours.
Feels weird.
Same. Getting old when a full 8 hours is reason to be happy. :(

I'm usually getting approx 6, maybe 7. And toss and turn during the night it's nothing near a full deep sleep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

upside boys and girls: this march is probably going to be significantly less lovely than last march

I dunno about that, I just checked the numbers on worldometers and the worst days of last March (right at the end, pointed out here) were barely approaching the best days in months right now, which are probably only this low because the last two days were a weekend with low reporting as usual. We've just become desensitized by mass deaths.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

We've just become desensitized by mass deaths.

This is the insane thing, both the UK and US are just hellbent on putting our heads down and marching on as if this is in any way an acceptable number of deaths.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

drat, it's still March

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

drat, it's still March

Again even.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

Same. Getting old when a full 8 hours is reason to be happy. :(

I'm usually getting approx 6, maybe 7. And toss and turn during the night it's nothing near a full deep sleep.

My latest problem is my wife will stay up late and keep the heat on, and it won't drop automatically because she's past the last programmed time. So I wake up at two am sweaty and upset.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This March I turn 50, and it's kind of depressing tbh :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GF told me to leave something out to remind her to pay rent. You know, the thing she's done on the 1st of the month for her entire adult life.

I printed up about 30 copies of the rent logo and plastered them all over the apartment, and set about 20 different reminders on the Nest Hub to go off at full volume... they're every minute from roughly the time she gets home until she gets pissed off enough to rip the cord out of the wall. I really should have set up a routine to go with it, something to make all the wifi connected lights start flashing, but :effort:.

I think that's subtle, right? :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Congrats on your impending return to singledom.

I hope she thinks it's hilarious.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I mean... a few months ago, she forgot to pay rent (normally I give her money for rent through the month, and she pays it on the 1st). She's been paying rent on the 1st religiously her entire life until then, and this apartment complex has a very generous grace period (5 days). I got sort-of-blamed for not reminding her until I pointed out she's been paying rent on the 1st of every month, for the past ~325 months. We got dinged for $150 for paying late that one time. I think that's the only bill she's ever been late on paying in her life. Obviously I share some blame in not checking that it had been paid, but I'm used to just transferring money into her account every week when I get paid, with her taking care of it on the 1st. I mean FFS, the apt complex offers auto pay, she has literally everything else on auto pay.

So when she says "hey remind me to pay rent", after trying to pass the blame to me once, I'm going to follow the letter of what she asked. :v:

She also loves Rent (the musical), so at least using the logo as a reminder should get a slight smile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 1, 2021

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

why would you not just set it up as a direct debit/auto recurring payment?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

My latest problem is my wife will stay up late and keep the heat on, and it won't drop automatically because she's past the last programmed time. So I wake up at two am sweaty and upset.

Can you set a new programmed time of like 1 or 2-3 am to kick it back to whatever temp to beat whatever her late bedtime is?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

GF told me to leave something out to remind her to pay rent. You know, the thing she's done on the 1st of the month for her entire adult life.

I printed up about 30 copies of the rent logo and plastered them all over the apartment, and set about 20 different reminders on the Nest Hub to go off at full volume... they're every minute from roughly the time she gets home until she gets pissed off enough to rip the cord out of the wall. I really should have set up a routine to go with it, something to make all the wifi connected lights start flashing, but :effort:.

I think that's subtle, right? :v:

My GF asked me if she could move into my apartment without paying for any of the rent because half of $1100 ($550) is too much for her?

I said no and I'm pretty sure she's going to break up with me now because she's been really difficult since that conversation.

If it truly is worst case scenario then I probably dodged a bullet tbh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If someone is on hard times and you're helping them out that's one thing, but if they are "expecting" to live rent free because of monetizing sex or just $valuating$ their half of the relationship, yeah, that's bullet dodged dude.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

When my wife and I moved in together, we worked out rent and bill payments proportional to the amount we earned. If you think that's equitable, you could suggest that to your GF.

Now that we've been together for eleven years, we just dump most of our money into the same pot and call it good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

64bit_Dophins posted:

My GF asked me if she could move into my apartment without paying for any of the rent because half of $1100 ($550) is too much for her?

I said no and I'm pretty sure she's going to break up with me now because she's been really difficult since that conversation.

Is this the otherwise cool lady? If so that really sucks, sorry man :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

slidebite posted:

If someone is on hard times and you're helping them out that's one thing, but if they are "expecting" to live rent free because of monetizing sex or just $valuating$ their half of the relationship, yeah, that's bullet dodged dude.

Her dad owns 4 buissnesses and she has a fat trust fund. She has a job working for one of his companies and only makes like $16 an hour but in exchange he pays for her health insurance. She graduated college into the pandemic so it's basically a "I'll give you money, take care of you, and let you live at my house but you have to do something" kind of thing.

I made less than that for years and $550 a month is incredibly manageable if you have any full time job and make more than $10/hr. It's also not a permanent situation for her either.

Safety Dance posted:

When my wife and I moved in together, we worked out rent and bill payments proportional to the amount we earned. If you think that's equitable, you could suggest that to your GF.

Now that we've been together for eleven years, we just dump most of our money into the same pot and call it good.

That is a pretty good idea. She suggested to just buy some things here and there to 'contribute' but that's poorly defined. I'm also not ready for that step with her really.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is this the otherwise cool lady? If so that really sucks, sorry man :(

Yeah she's pretty awesome all around except for this. Also she told me point blank that if I did not get along with her friends it probably wouldn't work out between us. She mostly hangs out with these 25-26 year old dudes she went to highschool with. They're into competitive smash brothers and are the drug nerd Research Chemical, smoke weed every day, popping pills, and drinking a lot - type.

It's very weird because she isn't really like that at all. From what I can tell she only smokes weed occasionally. Anyways, I'm sober and am not really trying to hang out with her loser friends. I don't understand why she cares so much about that really. Not sure if that's a deal breaker though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can you set a new programmed time of like 1 or 2-3 am to kick it back to whatever temp to beat whatever her late bedtime is?

Like maybe? There's only four changes allowed per day on this t stat. Wake up, leave, return, and good night. Since it's not every night she stays up, it's wasteful to plan it later for every night.

Maybe it's time for a smart thermostat but in the meantime it's cheaper to not spend the money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

She mostly hangs out with these 25-26 year old dudes she went to highschool with. They're into competitive smash brothers and are the drug nerd Research Chemical, smoke weed every day, popping pills, and drinking a lot - type.

That's a huge red flag man, just saying.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tomarse posted:

why would you not just set it up as a direct debit/auto recurring payment?

A lot of people living paycheck to paycheck might not have the funds to make sure they won't overdraw their account doing this, and get blasted with fees they can't afford in the process.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

Her dad owns 4 buissnesses and she has a fat trust fund. She has a job working for one of his companies and only makes like $16 an hour but in exchange he pays for her health insurance. She graduated college into the pandemic so it's basically a "I'll give you money, take care of you, and let you live at my house but you have to do something" kind of thing.

I made less than that for years and $550 a month is incredibly manageable if you have any full time job and make more than $10/hr. It's also not a permanent situation for her either.

That is a pretty good idea. She suggested to just buy some things here and there to 'contribute' but that's poorly defined. I'm also not ready for that step with her really.

Yeah she's pretty awesome all around except for this. Also she told me point blank that if I did not get along with her friends it probably wouldn't work out between us. She mostly hangs out with these 25-26 year old dudes she went to highschool with. They're into competitive smash brothers and are the drug nerd Research Chemical, smoke weed every day, popping pills, and drinking a lot - type.

It's very weird because she isn't really like that at all. From what I can tell she only smokes weed occasionally. Anyways, I'm sober and am not really trying to hang out with her loser friends. I don't understand why she cares so much about that really. Not sure if that's a deal breaker though.

"I'll never grow up, I'll never get old."

https://www.healthline.com/health/peter-pan-syndrome

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is why that person in r/relationships told their SO they rent the place instead of owning it so their SO wouldn't argue about paying part of the "rent" to stay there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys 'R Us kid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, I was totally the work related part but not because of being a peter pan, I just didn't take any bullshit and didn't care if i'd be homeless or not so I'd walk out whenever somebody pissed me off :v:

Luckily I always found another job pretty easily tho, and once I got into bartending I stayed pretty grounded.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elviscat posted:

A lot of people living paycheck to paycheck might not have the funds to make sure they won't overdraw their account doing this, and get blasted with fees they can't afford in the process.
Not only that, absolutely nobody has access to my accounts for auto debit. Utility companies/creditors/banks love taking money out, but if they gently caress up it's a disaster getting it fixed. You're totally on their schedule.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Elviscat posted:

Overdraft fees that are more than the aforementioned $150 penalty for late rent payment?
American banking is hosed.

I get an arranged overdraft on my account here and it costs me nothing in charges if I fix it within 24 hours.
After that the daily charges are just interest based with a monthly cap.

I also get low and high threshold balance alerts that come thru as text and app alerts so I know when my wages have dropped and know when I need to stop spending each month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kastein posted:

I dunno about that, I just checked the numbers on worldometers and the worst days of last March (right at the end, pointed out here) were barely approaching the best days in months right now, which are probably only this low because the last two days were a weekend with low reporting as usual. We've just become desensitized by mass deaths.

you're absolutely right in absolute death terms, but i meant more from a psychological perspective. the situation is improving (slowly, etc) vs last march where things were getting worse and there was way more uncertainty about exactly how bad this would get.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a huge red flag man, just saying.

I don't think it's inherently a red flag (she just graduated college so those people are her peers, basically), but the fact that ya'll aren't on the same page about it is!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I never asked my wife to pay rent/mortgage/whatever on any place we've ever had together - when I was ballin out of control, this was no problem, but over the last year, things have swerved a bit differently - she asked if she could help, but I always decline - she gets me really crazy awesome/expensive presents and is super awesome, and she allows my cars and antique bullshit everywhere, and takes care of our child, and does nearly everything else.. She has her own business and while she doesn't make great money, she makes enough.. enough to become the bread winner last year. I've always been really proud of her.

in other news: cheap rear end chinese junk horn relay almost toasted my roadster and maybe my garage last night....

you can see the plastic part pulled away from the metal housing and grounded itself to the case of the part as evident by the weld mark at the top left of it... burned down the wire and destroyed the fuse holder as well. thankfully the fuse did its job and only took out this part of it. I'm buying an NOS original now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Competitive smash brothers is a bigger red flag than drug use IMHO.

When my now wife moved in, she didn’t pay half because I made significantly more. She paid what we agreed was fair (pretty much what she paid for her room in her old place). No big fights over it either

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think it's inherently a red flag (she just graduated college so those people are her peers, basically), but the fact that ya'll aren't on the same page about it is!

Yeah that's pretty much what I was alluding to. She wants to move in and take it to the next level, but then still wants to party and do drugs with her male friends. That's a hard lol no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also she told me point blank that if I did not get along with her friends it probably wouldn't work out between us.

The Spice Girls had a song about this.