Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Surprised to find that I’m not really enjoying Prey. I’m going to give it another play session before I call it quits, but:

-I don’t like the gloo gun. It just doesn’t feel very good to use, particularly because some enemies (flaming phantom guy?) seem to just be immune to it without a real tell as to why.

-It all feels very derivative so far. I’ve played this game a million times now.

-Weapon degradation. This is partially on me for enabling this feature, but it’s implemented poorly in the game. Getting hit hard by an enemy, or touching flames etc destroys your weapon immediately.

-I don’t really feel like playing in a stealthy manner, but at least for now it feels like I have to, as I presently feel quite underpowered, especially against the mechanical enemies.

This seems like a step backward from Dishonored, though I can see why the semi-open world design would be preferable to the level-based design to many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mechanical enemies (and a certain other enemy type) are much more easy to handle once you remember that electronics do not do well when exposed to sudden surges of electricity.

In other words, use the stun gun on them for basically an instant kill. Those floating robots are barely even threatening as soon as you figure that out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the System Shock remake demo. It's kind of a mixed bag when it comes to what they updated and what they left exactly like in the original.

Basically it's nice to see this all-time classic looking like this:

But then the combat is still this:

And that's a VERY carefully chosen scene because of that visceral decapitation in the end, it really feels more like that first hit over and over. Basically imagine if they remade the original Wolfenstein with realistic graphics but the soldiers still behaved and moved around exactly like back then.

The same goes for having an inventory tetris (that the original SS didn't have) with 100 different useless items placed on shelves for you to throwaway immediately, having to endlessly destroy cameras in every room, a lot of the level design feeling very cramped in a video-gamey way. So it's like they updated some mechanics but left some outdated ones like in the original and then changed some outdated mechanics for newer...but still outdated versions. I'll still have fun playing it but it seems they were afraid to implement more modern ideas not to piss off the fans but at the same time the modernizations they went for still won't be enough for a mainstream player so the game sits in an awkward position gameplay-wise.

People got hyper gamer mad when they said they might change the gameplay of OG System Shock so please enjoy it or else you are betraying gamer heritage.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Mechanical enemies (and a certain other enemy type) are much more easy to handle once you remember that electronics do not do well when exposed to sudden surges of electricity.

In other words, use the stun gun on them for basically an instant kill. Those floating robots are barely even threatening as soon as you figure that out.

I figured it would be something like that, I just don’t have that weapon yet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dbzfandiego posted:

Nioh 2 is a fantastic Action-RPG and has way too many systems that you can get lost in its the only thing even remotely Diablo like that i actually enjoy and god bless Team Ninja for bouncing back after Ninja Gaiden 3.
yeah the first Nioh ruled except for the loot. maybe the only AAA PC release i'm interested in this year although i'll probably wait for summer sale

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My mistake with Prey was playing on hard and everything just being an unfun bullet sponge. Definitely make sure you're not doing that.

I ran out of electric ammo attacking a thing that was "weak" to electricity and only got to half health.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also weapon degradation is specifically for the roguelite expansion of Mooncrash. It is possible but not balanced for the full game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Palpek posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the System Shock remake demo. It's kind of a mixed bag when it comes to what they updated and what they left exactly like in the original.

Basically it's nice to see this all-time classic looking like this:

But then the combat is still this:

And that's a VERY carefully chosen scene because of that visceral decapitation in the end, it really feels more like that first hit over and over. Basically imagine if they remade the original Wolfenstein with realistic graphics but the soldiers still behaved and moved around exactly like back then.

The same goes for having an inventory tetris (that the original SS didn't have) with 100 different useless items placed on shelves for you to throwaway immediately, having to endlessly destroy cameras in every room, a lot of the level design feeling very cramped in a video-gamey way. So it's like they updated some mechanics but left some outdated ones like in the original and then changed some outdated mechanics for newer...but still outdated versions. I'll still have fun playing it but it seems they were afraid to implement more modern ideas not to piss off the fans but at the same time the modernizations they went for still won't be enough for a mainstream player so the game sits in an awkward position gameplay-wise.

Yeah, some of the stuff feels a bit archaic, and more impactful combat and a better differentiation between clutter and actually useful objects would be appreciated. It has a few months to go and they said some of the stuff is placeholder, so hopefully there'll be some improvement. But even in it's current state I think it'll be worth it.

Orv posted:

People got hyper gamer mad when they said they might change the gameplay of OG System Shock so please enjoy it or else you are betraying gamer heritage.

I feel this misrepresents the actual events a bit. They've been very open about the fact that they got lost in the weeds and what they were doing in between "faithful remake 1" (on Unity) and "faithful remake 2" (on UE4) was not working. I mean, not only the backers got mad but the actual original dev team walked out on them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

You shouldn't have much trouble getting one. If you're at a point where you're fighting robots, you've definitely already been somewhere that stun guns can be found.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Stunned enemies take more damage from other sources so gloo + wrench destroys most weaker enemies for cheap

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Serephina posted:

That's actually like, a good question?

I hate ARPGs after what Diablo2 turned into (and all of it's totally *drivel* contemporary clones), but I do know that there's a massive loving market for them, they have a huge tail-end of player retention (if not quite technically a "forever-game", they are pretty drat close), are trivial to bilk money out of the willing player base, and are an established genre with known-popular/good mechanics.

I keep seeing various ARPGs being pushed on Steam and have no personal interest in them, but I kind of get the impression that few games have managed to reach the success of D3 and PoE. I wonder why?

My personal pet peeve with ARPGs is the control scheme is still stuck in the 90s "the mouse is magical" phase. I loving hate mouse movement and combat, every moment when you wanted to move but hit something or wanted to hit something but moved because you were slightly off the hitbox has happened so many times it's been elevated from annoying to infuriating.

That being said the reason nothing else rises up is because most are trying to emulate an existing formula they can't pull off (emulating Diablo 2 or 3) or the community has found it's niche and is happy enough with it to avoid looking elsewhere (PoE). There have only been a few attempts to actually fix problems with the genre that don't appeal to the existing community and thus nothing really takes off. The few that do prove a little bit successful are basically going all in one the things that drive a lot of non-ARPG players away (Grim Dawn), self-implode (Torchlight), or get the combo of poorly marketed, limited budget to make it truly competitive, and unlucky in grabbing attention early on (stuff like Victor/Hellsing).

Edit:
To be clear, by "existing formula" I'm talking about how other games can make a game that plays better than Diablo 2 but can't make you feel like you did when playing Diablo 2 because nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and Diablo 3 has the graphical fidelity and polish that money can buy that other companies looking to make an ARPG can't afford on their initial offering in making their own game.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 1, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Heeey, Blasphemous on Twitch Prime! Might actually fire that client for the first time in like two years.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I feel this misrepresents the actual events a bit. They've been very open about the fact that they got lost in the weeds and what they were doing in between "faithful remake 1" (on Unity) and "faithful remake 2" (on UE4) was not working. I mean, not only the backers got mad but the actual original dev team walked out on them.

Oh sorry no that whole thing was independent of people getting extremely mad about nochanges.txt and I frankly cannot guess whether they've actually listened to those people, simply that those people are extremely loud about it.

The whloe thing with the original dev team and stuff is bizarre but completely understandable why it has gone how it has gone.

nessin posted:

My personal pet peeve with ARPGs is the control scheme is still stuck in the 90s "the mouse is magical" phase. I loving hate mouse movement and combat, every moment when you wanted to move but hit something or wanted to hit something but moved because you were slightly off the hitbox has happened so many times it's been elevated from annoying to infuriating.

That being said the reason nothing else rises up is because most are trying to emulate an existing formula they can't pull off (emulating Diablo 2 or 3) or the community has found it's niche and is happy enough with it to avoid looking elsewhere (PoE). There have only been a few attempts to actually fix problems with the genre that don't appeal to the existing community and thus nothing really takes off. The few that do prove a little bit successful are basically going all in one the things that drive a lot of non-ARPG players away (Grim Dawn), self-implode (Torchlight), or get the combo of poorly marketed, limited budget to make it truly competitive, and unlucky in grabbing attention early on (stuff like Victor/Hellsing).

Edit:
To be clear, by "existing formula" I'm talking about how other games can make a game that plays better than Diablo 2 but can't make you feel like you did when playing Diablo 2 because nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and Diablo 3 has the graphical fidelity and polish that money can buy that other companies looking to make an ARPG can't afford on their initial offering in making their own game.

Diablo 3 plays best on consoles but :shrug:

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 1, 2021

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

nessin posted:

I'm still mad they never ported controller support into Diablo 3; playing it a friend's house on the PS4 100% sold me on couch Diablo 3, and now I hate not having it on the pc :<

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what happened with the system shock remake dev team? I followed what was going on up to the point where they admitted they went way past their planned scope and ran out of money after they moved to unreal, but I’m not aware of what happened after that or how they’re still going.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I would play Diablo 3 if they put the controller stuff from consoles on PC.

I really enjoyed Marvel Heroes even if it wasn’t really a good game, it was broken and dumb enough to be really fun anyway once they fixed the worst parts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If I'd my druthers, I'd toss all controllers into Mt. Doom and nobody would ever make them again

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

If I'd my druthers, I'd toss all controllers into Mt. Doom and nobody would ever make them again

who hurt you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

poo poo i need to finally install the twitch gaming launcher thing i guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wamdoodle posted:

who hurt you

XInput. "Oh, your DirectInput controller's going to SEEM to work fine for a while but then glitch out in a way that's so unusual you're going to dig through forums for help in the hopes that you'll be so mad you just buy a Microsoft controller instead of downloading a fix."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wamdoodle posted:

who hurt you

a friend's N64

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordja posted:

I can see this, but also some console-to-PC ports just...don't have control schemes that work for keyboard and mouse. Yakuza for example (well, 1-6, not 7). It's just not comfortable playing it and I'm not sure there is a good way to map it to mouse/keyboard where it works.

Same deal with something like DCS, where a joystick (technically a form of controller) makes flying a joy compared to how fiddly the keyboard is.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The biggest issue with the current crop of arpgs is that they are either complex enough to need a build guide which alienates a lot of folks (PoE, endgame Grim Dawn) or so basic that they end up being really dull even with a podcast on in the background (Torchlight, some of the early access stuff). There’s gotta be a good balance but no game is hitting it. D3 came close but took skill/gear choice out of the player’s hands in the endgame.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It always seemed to me that the core problem of ARPG’s is simple: it isn’t fun to be overwhelmed by a swarm of enemies, but it also isn’t very fun to just be annihilating swaths of monsters unopposed, and threading that loop is quite difficult.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mordja posted:

Okay grandpa, let's get you back to your room.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

what happened with the system shock remake dev team? I followed what was going on up to the point where they admitted they went way past their planned scope and ran out of money after they moved to unreal, but I’m not aware of what happened after that or how they’re still going.

Went looking to make sure I wasn't half remembering poo poo; after the shift from Unity to UE4 and the project ballooning in scope they ended up putting it on hold and reassigning the entire(?) team to other Night Dive projects. The restarted remaster work now being shown off is a 'new' team which I take to mean they shuffled people around because the last setup was producing bad results. So not exactly 'the first team walked out' as much as 'the first team boned it up.'

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

xinput is far from perfect but I'd take the last decade+ of standardised controller support on PC over the total mishmash we had before in a loving heartbeat

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I picked up Crosscode with its DLC, but man, they really uh, didn't do a good job actually hooking you into any sort of plot, did they? It doesn't help that the first few places that I've played so far are just full of like, collectathon quests. The environmental puzzles are pretty cool though, but I can see it being kinda exhausting after a while.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anonymous Robot posted:

but it also isn’t very fun to just be annihilating swaths of monsters unopposed

explain the lasting appeal of dynasty warriors and ace combat

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

I even did the driving in Cyberpunk with WASD. I'm there with you :colbert:

And I agree that no indie studio can match Blizzards polish, nor match PoE's complex sandbox and not enough people want anything else.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 1, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

I picked up Crosscode with its DLC, but man, they really uh, didn't do a good job actually hooking you into any sort of plot, did they? It doesn't help that the first few places that I've played so far are just full of like, collectathon quests. The environmental puzzles are pretty cool though, but I can see it being kinda exhausting after a while.

The interesting parts start about 20 hours in, have fun

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You got me there. It’s fun to do that stuff on a controller v :) v

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

You shouldn't have much trouble getting one. If you're at a point where you're fighting robots, you've definitely already been somewhere that stun guns can be found.

there's a stungun hidden in like the very first area of the game

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Went looking to make sure I wasn't half remembering poo poo; after the shift from Unity to UE4 and the project ballooning in scope they ended up putting it on hold and reassigning the entire(?) team to other Night Dive projects. The restarted remaster work now being shown off is a 'new' team which I take to mean they shuffled people around because the last setup was producing bad results. So not exactly 'the first team walked out' as much as 'the first team boned it up.'

Yeah what happened after the switch is the dev team decided they were gonna do a full reimagining of the game instead of a more straight remake.

This earned them flak from the backers but the big thing was after a year or two of work on the reimagining they realized they didn't have the budget to actually do it. NF put on the brakes and restarted things with something closer to the original vision.

Now System Shock 3? That's the real mess. It's likely dead in the water.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They go all in to make killing huge swarms of enemies seem as pretty and as badass as possible, to distract you from the fact that it's actually kinda boring.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Broken Cog posted:

The interesting parts start about 20 hours in, have fun

I expected there to be some sort of hook after the first elemental temple or something :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Effortlessly destroying large hordes of monsters is incredibly fun in ARPGs when the endgame is about how quickly and efficiently you can do it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

They go all in to make killing huge swarms of enemies seem as pretty and as badass as possible, to distract you from the fact that it's actually kinda boring.

I played the poo poo out of the old ones, but now every time I try a newer one I get about an hour of 'yeah, this is still fun!' before deciding it's boring as hell and never touching it again.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Anonymous Robot posted:

Surprised to find that I’m not really enjoying Prey. I’m going to give it another play session before I call it quits, but:

I didn't like prey either :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome! posted:

poo poo i need to finally install the twitch gaming launcher thing i guess.

drat they have given away a ton of poo poo huh? you dont really realize it until you see everything together.