Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

bows1 posted:

Oh I was told that they used their original coding for all the gameplay and just revised the graphics, I didn't know that bluePoint rewrote all the code as well.

The code is more than 10 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
it had a bad case of bit rot

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It runs on a completely different engine, presumably they had to rewrite most of it for that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardiovorax posted:

You'd think people would learn from when they said the exact same thing about Cyberpunk.

I mean, I trust From to make a good game way more than I ever trusted CDPR to do so, but still.

Fight me if you must but before Cyberpunk (which was a new evolution for cdpr's style) cdpr basically made an decent card game, two janky Witcher games and one decent Witcher game. So basically an okay track record with really just one outstanding game (and it's expansion packs).

From Software has made half a dozen solid rpg/action games, and Elden Ring is in the same style/spirit. The only big worrying part may be the horse combat system and the 'open world'

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
bluepoint built off the original demons souls code base. that’s why the game plays nearly identical to the original. remaking every nuance and bug of the original game without using the original codebase would be nearly impossible.

this is literally bluepoint’s specialty, they used the same technology for building their shadow of the colossus remake which uses the original code as a foundation

here’s an article if anyone else cares about this nerd poo poo https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-shadow-of-the-colossus-tech-interview

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What's wrong with being excited about upcoming games from studios that make great games? You can be excited about a game without pre-ordering it so there's literally no risk involved.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In a masterstroke to enrage multiple fanbases at once, Elden Ring is actually set in the LotR-verse with new GRRM-written stories about the fellowship you know and love from LotR, brought back together 17 years later because someone has cloned Sauron.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

To be frank, I much prefer the excitement over something sight-unseen to incessant cynicism over something sight-unseen. It's real refreshing, and kind of shocking to see coming from goons

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Be happy about stuff, and if something is disappointing just move on to something that doesn't disappoint you instead so you can stay happy

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I mean even if Elden ring ends up disappointing and people "over hyped it" in their heads or whatever, who cares?Putting aside the legitimate reasons to be excited for this, so what if people get excited and disappointed over video games?

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
bring back chromehounds

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

liquidypoo posted:

To be frank, I much prefer the excitement over something sight-unseen to incessant cynicism over something sight-unseen. It's real refreshing, and kind of shocking to see coming from goons

shouldnt u b working

nah, I'm just The Worst and I like bein' jazzed about stuff but without the self-reflection that makes that jazz valuable this hype train can only lead to dad-town: I'm not mad, just disappointed. I saw the train lead to its inevitable conclusion with No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk, which are at worst fine. So if I sound contrarian it's only to encourage the idea that examining your own motives can lead to a greater ability to withstand that kind of disappointment -- that you can only have your expectations fail to be met if your expectations don't align with reality.

But, hey, critically examining yourself fairly is tough and hingin' your emotional security on literally zero information is easy. So what do I know.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Basically full trailer of Elden Ring seems to have leaked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/lvdxsc/elden_ring_is_a_game_last_post_29_turbo_hd/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even accepting the horrible state that 2077 released in, I was still right to be excited about it because i played it a lot and it was fun, so in conclusion, I learned nothing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

punished milkman posted:

I can’t see From falling into the traps that make open world games trash. They are probably not going to have slay n of creature x, talk to guy at point A then talk to guy at point B (on other side of map), yellow exclamation marks everywhere type of junk. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t even give you a map

That's a good point. Not every open world is a Ubisoft or Rockstar with 1000 shallow things to do. I guess From would make it all cryptic and spooky, filled with murky lore...let's see if they pull it off!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dark Souls literally redefined gaming in the 2010s

No, it just spawned a bunch of equally tedious video-games-as-self-flagellation imitators for people to jerk off over.

There’s just an incredibly vocal minority of people who think that type of game is literally god’s gift to gaming, especially since video games are already a hobby where people were prone to dickwaving about how hardcore they are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

No, it just spawned a bunch of equally tedious video-games-as-self-flagellation imitators for people to jerk off over.

There’s just an incredibly vocal minority of people who think that type of game is literally god’s gift to gaming, especially since video games are already a hobby where people were prone to dickwaving about how hardcore they are.

no it's actually just an extremely popular genre of video games that lots and lots and lots of people like.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

I love dark souls :) it's my favorite franchise of all time because

Wow ur analysis on award winning soulsborne games sounds super objective and unbiased. Maybe you should make your own YouTube series and show them how it's really done!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

KingSlime posted:

Wow ur analysis on award winning soulsborne games sounds super objective and unbiased. Maybe you should make your own YouTube series and show them how it's really done!!

guess what, people are allowed opinions on video games without posts like this, my dude.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hell one of the things I legit love about Soulslikes (or, one of the things I wish more games would copy from Dark Souls) is the approach to world and map design. Admittedly most of that stuff is to do with a networked layout of small spaces, but I imagine they could make some decent hay out of a more conventional open world. At minimum, we know they'd almost certainly let you wander into places you're absolutely not equipped to deal with.

(Souls maps honestly seem to me to be the most metroidvania-like you can get with a game that isn't actually a metroidvania, it's just saying the quiet part loud on that count and giving you literal keys and literal gates instead of a double jump that lets you use a new shortcut)

The comparison that comes immediately into my head when you say "Fromsoft open-world" is something like Final Fantasy XII, which wasn't so much an open world as much a space approximately as complex (in graphing terms) as a Souls but which happens to be largely comprised of wide open plains and other environments, but also having a lot of more structured spaces and dungeons and caves and the like connecting them.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 1, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

guess what, people are allowed opinions on video games without posts like this, my dude.

People are allowed to respond to them my dude, what are you even trying to argue. He chose his words specifically to bait responses lol

"self-flaggelation"

"Jerk off"

"dick waving"

I'm sorry if you think I'm being too aggressive but you're not judging our posts fairly buddy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When your opinion is "they're tedious self-flagellation-as-games for people to jerk off over," you can't really complain when people give you poo poo right back for it. That's not expressing an opinion, that's just picking a fight.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

just SHUT TF UP.

THIS THREAD WILL BE AS GOOD AS THE PS4 THREAD ALWAYS IS SO HELP ME, I SO DECREE ON THIS HOLY ELDEN RING LEAK DAY OOOOOOOOOHHHH

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 1, 2021

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Vikar Jerome posted:

OOOOOOOOOHHHH

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wait Elden is a FROM game? I thought it was another Elder Scrolls or whatever I don’t care about, this changes everything.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Will Elden Ring be the first game to make horse combat actually interesting and fun?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 1, 2021

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Rolo posted:

Wait Elden is a FROM game? I thought it was another Elder Scrolls or whatever I don’t care about, this changes everything.

Hell yeah it is brother

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I mean, like, you all saw what I've just been posting about Sekiro, and yet I'm also p hype for Elden Ring and will probably buy it a bit after release, because I really want to like one of these games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lmao god youre so stupid

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Source your quotes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why is everybody so crazy for Else Ring? Has there ever even been any gameplay footage? I thought there was just one cg trailer like 3 years ago

It's a new game by the most prominent video game auteur of the last decade.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Elsa's Ring is going to be all snow levels all the time

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I just finished Bloodborne and didn't like it as much as I expected to, I think mostly because I really didn't like the map/world. It's the first Souls-like I've played where I really never felt like I made any sense of the map, I just felt hopelessly lost the entire time. The combat was really good though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

The FROM games such as the Souls and Bloodbornes and the like are very good at what they set out to be, but I never understood the rabid obsession people have with insisting they’re the end all be all of gaming. They’re certainly not for everyone.

I’ve beaten a handful of them, they’re compelling and evocative and challenging as gently caress. But constantly championing them as the best games ever released always puzzled me.

They are some of the best games ever released.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re all lovely and boring and the page after page of SOULSBORNE :fap::fap::fap::gizz::gizz::gizz: that comes up every time anyone mentions any of them or asks for a recommendation on what to play is the absolute worst and most tedious part of any general thread in all of Games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro... what’s the fifth one?

DeS motherfucker!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
What about dark souls 2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

They’re all lovely and boring and the page after page of SOULSBORNE :fap::fap::fap::gizz::gizz::gizz: that comes up every time anyone mentions any of them or asks for a recommendation on what to play is the absolute worst and most tedious part of any general thread in all of Games.

im so sorry for you and others who havent been able to discover the ultimate beauty that is Every Single Souls Game (including DLC)