Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think Punk is just an edgelord who still thinks calling someone gay is a sick burn, even though he knows better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

collocation posted:

There was a rather spirited and excessively lengthy debate on another board as to whether what Punk said was considered homophobic. My take was that while he didn't likely mean it that way, since he has generally seemed friendly and supportive of the community in recent times, it's generally considered homophobic to say that men perform homosexual acts to insult them.
The etymology of telling someone to suck a dick or calling them "cocksucker" has inherently misogynist/homophobic (and sex work shaming) origins because it assigns lower status to people who perform oral sex on male genitalia, but it's not necessarily the same nowadays as "lol ur gay". In modern usage it's more like "the idea of doing that probably repulses you, so go do it".

Not that that makes it better, mind you, just that the intent isn't necessarily the same.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i’m a real boy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It feels like a wash. Yes, it's vague language with a homophobic interpretation. The language is also being used to mock someone for taking money from a country that kills gay people. So it kind of just washes out to a big :shrug: and maybe Punk should learn new insults than what he learned in grade school.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

always wash

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

sticklefifer posted:

The etymology of telling someone to suck a dick or calling them "cocksucker" has inherently misogynist/homophobic (and sex work shaming) origins because it assigns lower status to people who perform oral sex on male genitalia, but it's not necessarily the same nowadays as "lol ur gay". In modern usage it's more like "the idea of doing that probably repulses you, so go do it".

Not that that makes it better, mind you, just that the intent isn't necessarily the same.

Thanks for the explanation. The first quoted word above and "clusterfuck" (as in what a clusterfuck) were always my Father's two favorite exclamations of anger, but they were always yelled at the electronics that he was repairing, rather than people. It was a couple years after first hearing the prior that I learned that it meant something other than televisions and so on that weren't cooperating properly. I still like clusterfuck.

---

As an only now barely related aside, after asking a friend's advice and thinking things over, I am no longer going to include the audience being bigoted, unless it's either really unique or something that they are directed to do by the people on the show. It seems like every indy show that I watch lately has the audience dropping f bombs, and it's really boring and redundant to notate it every time. Plus, as it's not part of the show, it's not really representative of what the people performing or booking the show intended, and thus not entirely relevant.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Even aside from being potentially offensive, and that Kamala bit for sure is, I remember those Diva Search skits just being truly terrible. One had The Rock, who hadn't been on TV in ages, and even he couldn't save it (his scene was a pie-eating contest, which inevitably ended with the contestants trying to eat the pie with their rear end). One revolved around Chris Jericho tricking the ladies into trashing Bischoff's office, which led to the climax of several of them corpsing as Bischoff berated them.

I promise not to use the words Bischoff and climax when talking about the Diva Search ever again.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPV9xjq6IcA

This was from the only WWE house show I ever went to :eng101:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

collocation posted:

Raw 7/26/04:

The Divas search contestants have to verbally seduce Kamala while he talks gibberish and slaps his belly. Amy Weber shakes her butt at him while yelling booga booga booga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3M06IdtzXA

lmfao alright then

imagine someone, anyone at all, walks into the room while this is on your TV

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was wondering why Amy Weber seemed to get such a huge reaction in that clip (yeah, I had some free time and I regret both having said free time and watching it) and looked at her Wikipedia.

quote:

She resigned from WWE in February 2005 because of her allegations of harassment from some of the wrestlers.[4] She later stated that she "wasn't happy with the pay" and the "frat house-like" environment.[1]

Well, that's poo poo, I wonder wh-

quote:

To explain her departure, JBL stated she had been "fired" for accidentally firing a sleeping dart at him the previous week while he was playing with an inflatable dinosaur. The dart was actually intended for JBL's No Way Out 2005 opponent, Big Show.[5]

:crossarms:

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

dromal phrenia posted:

lmfao alright then

imagine someone, anyone at all, walks into the room while this is on your TV

I hadn't seen that full sketch until now, but the person I was living with was someone who had tried out for the Divas thing. That would probably be about the only time one could get away with someone walking in: if they were personally involved. And, even then, she was 6' tall and buff, and despite the fact that I tried to tell her, she hoped they were looking for the next Chyna. So, that still could have gone badly.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I was wondering why Amy Weber seemed to get such a huge reaction in that clip (yeah, I had some free time and I regret both having said free time and watching it) and looked at her Wikipedia.

She was actually probably a bit more famous than everyone else at the time as she had been a cast member of Son of the Beach, which had to have a bit of crossover audience with WWE. Having at least some acting ability, she probably could have been useful in WWE, but she also probably had slightly higher standards than everyone else, and WWE had to be WWE, so that couldn't happen.

---

Also, apparently, Edge and Orton harassed her, per her:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/amy-weber-edge-randy-orton-wwe-harassment/

"In a video she posted to YouTube, former WWE talent Amy Weber discussed why she left WWE, claiming that Randy Orton and Edge harassed her while she was asleep on a flight and that that ended up being the final straw for her. According to Weber, Orton slammed into her seat and knocked her to the floor of the plane and Edge poured a drink on her. Highlights are below.

On Randy Orton and Edge harassing her on a WWE flight to Alaska: “The trainer told me to go into the men’s locker room and to grab two Ibuprofen, which I did. He told me what to do, I did it. And some ice. So when I was on the plane, on the way back to Alaska, we had more matches there, more TV to tape, I was laying across three seats. We were all sleeping, and I’m going to go ahead and call people out because this is a truthful video. Randy Orton decided to come up behind my chair and he slammed into it like a linebacker, so hard that I landed on the floor of the airplane. And then he said to me, ‘You’re gonna learn, [bitch].’ I didn’t understand what he was talking about. So I turned around, went back to sleep. I was awoken by someone pouring a drink in my face. So immediately I popped up, I looked up, and I saw Edge, yes, you, Edge, with a partially drank drink in his hand, there was a little bit left, and it was the same color that was basically all over me. So I stood up on the airplane seat, and I was eye-to-eye to him, and I said, ‘Do you have a problem with me?’ And he goes, ‘What are you talking about?’ Of course he denied it, but the drink was in his hand. So I said, ‘Come on, you want to fight me? Let’s go, you want to be a man, go ahead, let’s go, fight me. You want to pour a drink on me?’ And he kept denying it, but I know he did it, I saw the cup in his hand. At the end of the day, did I deserve it because I took two Ibuprofen that the trainer told me to take, and some ice, from the guy’s locker room? I don’t think so.”

Amy Weber on deciding to leave WWE after the flight: “So when I got to Alaska, Shane McMahon was there, we were all getting our bags, and I was done. I just felt like I couldn’t continue to be in an environment where people really had no respect for me. They had their reasons but I don’t think taking two Ibuprofen for someone to call you names, try to physically harm you, and then pour a drink in your face.”"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kWUpBZtr4c

collocation fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 26, 2021

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG The Secret of the Ooze 8/14/04:

"Leave it to the African American to dunk the basketball" - Excalibur on Human Tornado doing a basketball hoop hurricanrana

---

"Topgun Talwar, showing his Arab roots, rolling, almost like Arabs roll in the sand all day" - Excalibur

---

"You can never trust a Mexican. You know. I have that tattooed to the palm of my hand so I can just refer to it. I mean that adage has been you know I mean in any situation." - Excalibur

---

"You wrote down filthy filthy Mexicans. Mexicans go home. Which had nothing to do with college." - Disco on Excalibur's college entry essay, which they make sure to note is not the same as Esse

---

"I bet those Mexicans stole your wallet Disco Machine, while the referee's back was turned." - Excalibur

---

"I believe at one point during in this match I say who can keep track of those Mexicans, they all look the same and that could not be more true than it is now" - Excalibur

"In California, that's always true." - Disco

"That's very true, you know, I could see uh a Nomar Garciaparra and I could confuse him with Juan who works at Del Taco" - Excalibur

---

"<Joey Ryan> does have a void in his life to fill and Joey Ryan fills that void with young voluptuous women. He's moved on from young voluptuous boys, full lipped boys. <...> That's what he told me he likes." - Excalibur

---

"Joey, you would think that he's more of a pitcher than catcher." - Excalibur

"We could go all day with this." - Disco

"Not really because those are the only two gay references I know involving Baseball" - Excalibur

---

"People like Apollo Khan and the other one <..> - Excalibur

"The other one?" - Disco

Excalibur asks Disco to explain what he thinks he means

"Uh uh people who like Popeye's chicken?" - Disco

"Please Disco Machine let's not turn this into a racist debate." - Excalibur

---

"Now it's funny that the black man is in the ring, Disco Machine, and you start talking about basketball. Is that some of the racist overtones we saw you exhibit earlier on?" -Excalibur

---

But Apollo Khan, those muscular legs and thighs that his people are known for <...>" - Excalibur

"I thought you were trying to make me the racist." - Disco

"I was talking about people from Pro Wrestling Iron, Disco. I don't know what you are thinking about." - Excalibur

---

"Now that's not very polite, I don't come out here and call you a <f word for homosexual ending in "ot"> in glasses. I don't come out here calling you a <f word for homosexual ending in "ot"> <unintelligible>." - Kazarian to individual fans

collocation fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 26, 2021

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW F1 Possesion 8/14/04:

Mdogg-20 calls the crowd <plural r word for mentally challenged people> and <plural f word for homosexual ending in "ots">.

---

"I don't sweat you, holmes" - Justice Pain to Homicide

---

Robby Mireno yells at the camera that someone or something unintelligible were or are <plural f word for homosexuals ending with "ots">.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

collocation posted:

CZW F1 Possesion 8/14/04:

Mdogg-20 calls the crowd <plural r word for mentally challenged people> and <plural f word for homosexual ending in "ots">

wow, nice find. pretty hosed up that Mdogg-20 would say this.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
does he call them r-worded f-words or the r-word and then the f-word? it’s v important

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

The latter is what I said originally and I was accurate and clear when doing so. I apologize for keeping you in suspense over such an important topic or I'm happy that I could provide you with a chance to show your wit. Whichever most applies.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
is holmes a slur

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shayna Baszler posted:

is holmes a slur

Depends on the context. In a vacuum, probably not, but used in a manner that I'm assuming it was - can't say I've seen much, if any, of CZW outside of Jon Zandig's JEEEEZUS!!! interview, so all I've got to go with is what collocation has provided here - its usage can be considered a bit dodgy at the very least.

Homicide is ethnically Puerto Rican, according to Wikipedia at least, so I suppose it's playing into negative stereotypes for heat. I have no idea who's the face or heel in this match-up at this stage in their careers, so I don't know how this reflects on CZW as a promotion or the fans.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Holmes is definitely not a slur. I never said that everything that I would post would be a slur, I said that it would be bigotry or bigotry adjacent. It's a white person using a word that they feel that brown people use and doing so condescendingly because they are talking to a brown person.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
they should call you Slurlock Holmes, for all the bigotry detective work you do.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Similar instances posted earlier:

collocation posted:

Also from the 4/1/04 Smackdown:

<...>

"Hold on a second there, holmes" - Angle to Eddie

---

"This isn't personal, my friend, amigo, it's just business." - JBL to Eddie

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird, now that you've spelled it out I guess I never figured it was "holmes" like Sherlock. I always thought it was "homes" like an alternate version of "homie".

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

This thread keeps Excalibur up at night, we hold his future in our hands.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
H***slice

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

all this stuff was already brought up in recent memory, its why he was off Dynamite for like 2 or 3 weeks earlier in the year.

it helps that he has demonstrably changed as a person considerably in the past 20 years

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eat My Fuc posted:

I knew wwe was bad. I assumed TNA and CZW and others were bad. I didn’t realize how bad Excalibur was though. This stuff is vile, and was vile back then too.

Anyway this is a weird thread but also good. Stuff like this should probably be documented somewhere, might as well be there.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Alaois posted:

all this stuff was already brought up in recent memory, its why he was off Dynamite for like 2 or 3 weeks earlier in the year.

it helps that he has demonstrably changed as a person considerably in the past 20 years

Yea, it's a joke. Also he was off Dynamite for one comment coming out. At this rate the dude has said as much racist poo poo as anyone in wrestling's history, but unlike everyone else he has apologized for it.

I do think if this thread ever got out of Something Awful his career is done for so I hope it never happens, this is the kind of poo poo reddit and twitter would be rabid for because they want to bury AEW every chance they can with fake outrage.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
blackmailing excalibur brb

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you think excalibur is still that same guy but knows how to "play the game" now. like maybe he was misgendering that referee on purpose recently because he knew he could get away with it as an accident. you never know

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

This is kind of embarrassing, but I started the first version of this thread with stuff from before PWG started and when I got to Excalibur I actually considered just stopping or not including PWG because I like Excalibur and I didn't realize the frequency of what happened. (I knew that he had dropped the n word twice and that he played a mentally challenged and/or physically handicapped character at one point, but I didn't know that he was like a 70's era comedian in a smoky hall for every show.) I told a friend of mine, someone who was addressed by more of his comments than I am, that I was thinking about doing so and they told me that I would by a hypocritical rear end in a top hat to do so. They were right, so I didn't.

I've never been able to find his apology, and I guess it was in some old shoot, but my understanding is that it didn't just address the really bad angles that came up recently, but addressed everything in a blanket way. Given that AEW had to have known about the bulk of this when they hired him, firing him would be somewhat craven. I enjoy him quite a bit, but as for whether it was a good idea to hire him, my take would depend on when he cut it out. If he was still doing it in like 2017, that's pretty fuckin' bad. If he stopped over a decade ago, everyone should be allowed to change, and the fact that he thought better of this stuff should be considered a positive thing.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird, now that you've spelled it out I guess I never figured it was "holmes" like Sherlock. I always thought it was "homes" like an alternate version of "homie".

I had to look it up because I've only ever heard it verbally and the l is often silent. I don't always trust internet etymology, but I guess that it comes from home boy, which I assume is where homie comes from also.

---

Raw 8/23/04:

"One question. We got any pie lovers in the house? One for the girls. We got any strudel lovers in the house? Yeah. One dude! <Rock points at crowd> Related to Coach." - The Rock in his last segment for 3 years

---

"What's your favorite type of pie?" - The Rock to Tajiri

"Sushi!" - Some rando in the crowd

"One man says Sushi." - The Rock

<...>

"Ok, here we go, favorite type of pie" - The Rock

"Poontang!" - Tajiri

"I never heard. What is Poon Tong pie?" - The Rock

---

"I'll tell you what. The Rock will tell you this in a couple different languages. Out of respect for my boy Tajiri I'll tell you in Chinese. <gibberish in the same style as a portion of Rock's pie song [and also Cheech and Chong's Next Movie when explaining how children are named] usually used to mock Asian people>." - The Rock to La Resistance

---

Rock's Pie song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40SLbGyxJwA

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40SLbGyxJwA&t=164s

Time stamped for the people's convenience

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

thank you

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I bought that CD at best buy the year it came out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i had volume 4 only. This song on it is bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3T3RpiIk8

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Cavauro posted:

i had volume 4 only. This song on it is bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3T3RpiIk8

Never heard this. I think they just said "some times I make a little mess" and then rhymed it with rear end.

Edit: Also, I raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svlOCKZnwHY

collocation fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 1, 2021

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

yea ok posted:

thank you

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea, it's a joke. Also he was off Dynamite for one comment coming out. At this rate the dude has said as much racist poo poo as anyone in wrestling's history, but unlike everyone else he has apologized for it.

I do think if this thread ever got out of Something Awful his career is done for so I hope it never happens, this is the kind of poo poo reddit and twitter would be rabid for because they want to bury AEW every chance they can with fake outrage.

lol it's not like this thread is in a vault. Everything from here is from videos that are not that hard to watch.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
excalibur paid me off with a bl*mpkin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

your career is done... done started! welcome aboard