Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Larryb posted:

I haven’t been following the latter too closely lately, how much does Zenkaiger look like it’s going to be leaning into the whole anniversary aspect?

Well, the collectables are explicitly based on the previous teams, and the team is all themed after previous mechs, so it seems like we're going the Gokaiger route instead of the Zyuohger route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Well, the collectables are explicitly based on the previous teams, and the team is all themed after previous mechs, so it seems like we're going the Gokaiger route instead of the Zyuohger route.

True, I wonder if that means we’re getting guest stars and tribute episodes as well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still need to catch up (Over time batch torrent plz), but apparently they got the out of suit actors to do the role call poses :stare:

Poor Green and Yellow

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 1, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ooh, neat. I don't really know much about the Kamen Rider manga (people only ever talk about KR Spirits) but I got Ishinomori's Zelda comic for Christmas and his art has a nice charm to it so I'd be interested in reading this

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Unlucky7 posted:

I still need to catch up (Over time batch torrent plz), but apparently they got the out of suit actors to do the role call poses :stare:

Poor Green and Yellow

If the producers didn't the cast like, three months before filming that they'd need to get into good enough shape to pull those poses off, then they have failed at their jobs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The way they made that shot also looks like they could've possibly had help by edited out assistants or wires

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Unlucky7 posted:

Poor Green and Yellow

I was entirely sure they were going to get the helmets before they did the poses because there's no way they'd actually have the face actors do that. And then they went and did it, the absolute madmen.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What are the 3 best rider shows since Gaim came out?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBX posted:

What are the 3 best rider shows since Gaim came out?

Amazons, Build, and Ex-Aid.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Amazons, Build, and Ex-Aid.

Seconding this. I don't think any of the rest quite reach the same level.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks guys.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Usual warnings with Amazons, it's very violent, all that

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Yeah if you find Amazons too dark. I would probably bump in Drive with Build and Ex-Aid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, it just me or does the Zenkaiger leader (I forget his name) look more like he belongs in Kamen Rider than in Super Sentai?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, it just me or does the Zenkaiger leader (I forget his name) look more like he belongs in Kamen Rider than in Super Sentai?

Zenkaiser, and he has a very Ishinomori look so he looks like where old Kamen Rider and Sentai intersect.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Vise the Stompy posted:

Yeah if you find Amazons too dark. I would probably bump in Drive with Build and Ex-Aid.

Drive is what I'd add, too. In some ways I feel like it's a better show than Build was. But Be The One is one of the best OPs in all of Rider.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Nah, he's just a throwback to GoRanger.

Which as Blaze said, has some overlap with Rider, though not as much as you'd think. Compare AkaRanger and ZenKaiser and you'll see where the source is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Nah, he's just a throwback to GoRanger.

Which as Blaze said, has some overlap with Rider, though not as much as you'd think. Compare AkaRanger and ZenKaiser and you'll see where the source is.

Ah yes, I see it now (I think it was the antennae on the helmet and the bug eyes that were throwing me). I’ve seen Goranger but for some reason it didn’t immediately click in my head.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ultraman Ginga seems like the least essential part of Ultraman Ginga S

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Ultraman Ginga seems like the least essential part of Ultraman Ginga S

Yeah I wasn't exaggerating about it.

Its got fans! Every show is someone's favorite!

...It's not the worst one!

but it is Ginga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Kiramaiger Vs Ryusoulger is still going to happen:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S8AJqKXS-Wc

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
is Space Ironmen Kyodain any good?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

is Space Ironmen Kyodain any good?

If you like 70s toku, it's pretty

70s toku. Like, its not terrible. Its certainly got some unique features to it. Probably an open question on if its better than Akumaizer- I'd argue no- but it's certainly up there compared to some others.

If you don't like the editing though, you're going to be in for a rough time. Still better than Chojin Bibyun

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Timeranger on ShoutFactory with some friends and we liked it a lot, so now we're gonna watch Kuuga next. How good are the ShoutFactory Kuuga subs? Are there any translation errors/choices I should be aware of?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just watched Timeranger on ShoutFactory with some friends and we liked it a lot, so now we're gonna watch Kuuga next. How good are the ShoutFactory Kuuga subs? Are there any translation errors/choices I should be aware of?
Subs were good. Some people were irritated that the "Grongi" language subs are turned on and can't be turned off (It's the language the monsters in the show speak. Most of the time it's just generic villain banter. Sometimes just minor plot details revealed or hinted at a little earlier.

If you're confused, it's a monster language that was meant to be an easter-egg for people watching the series the second time via DVD.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I can't speak to the the quality of the translation, but one thing I've noticed is that the version on ShoutFactoryTV is poorly deinterlaced (which is really odd in this day and age), and the TubiTV player handles the same videos much more cleanly for some reason (https://tubitv.com/series/300005115/kamen-rider-kuuga)

Also, the antagonists in the show speak a fictional language that wasn't subtitled into Japanese (and by extension into English in the fansubs) with the audience left to figure out what they're talking about via context clues. In the current licensed release, they're subtitled from the start. It's not a huge change, but being aware that it was more mysterious originally might be helpful.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zero_Tactility posted:

I can't speak to the the quality of the translation, but one thing I've noticed is that the version on ShoutFactoryTV is poorly deinterlaced (which is really odd in this day and age), and the TubiTV player handles the same videos much more cleanly for some reason (https://tubitv.com/series/300005115/kamen-rider-kuuga)

Also, the antagonists in the show speak a fictional language that wasn't subtitled into Japanese (and by extension into English in the fansubs) with the audience left to figure out what they're talking about via context clues. In the current licensed release, they're subtitled from the start. It's not a huge change, but being aware that it was more mysterious originally might be helpful.
Can't speak to the Tuubi version, I've been watching Shout releases from their website directly or catching random episodes on the weekends via their Twitch channel (They tend to play Kamen Rider all Tuesday and Sentai all Sunday)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, SSSS Dynazenon (the successor to the animated Gridman sequel from 2018) premieres April 2nd.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Episodes 7 and 8 of Ultraman Ginga S are actually pretty good! The UPG members are there the whole time and actually do important stuff. As opposed to the rest of the show to this point where they show up once or twice an episode and accomplish nothing. The goal is to defeat the giant evil monster. There's a big monster that is doing bad things so Ultraman Victory and Ultraman Ginga have to defeat it. As opposed to the previous episodes, where the goal was mostly Ultraman Victory has to be nicer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd pay to have a Burkion Essay on how toku changed throughout the decades, how 80s toku is different from 70s toku, how 90s toku is different, how 2000s toku changed because of the advent of CGI, etc.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I'd pay to have a Burkion Essay on how toku changed throughout the decades, how 80s toku is different from 70s toku, how 90s toku is different, how 2000s toku changed because of the advent of CGI, etc.

You know, sure

I'll get on that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like that's also a big part of why Rider has more reverence for its eras Showa/Heisei/Reiwa because there was that big gulf where Rider skipped the 90s so its identity changed pretty dramatically, whereas Sentai had that more gradual evolution.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like that's also a big part of why Rider has more reverence for its eras Showa/Heisei/Reiwa because there was that big gulf where Rider skipped the 90s so its identity changed pretty dramatically, whereas Sentai had that more gradual evolution.

Technically there were three movies/specials in between RX and Kuuga but pretty much, yeah (I think the Ultraman series also had a slight gap between 80 and Tiga as well). Sentai’s the only one that’s basically continued uninterrupted since its debut in the late 70’s.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Decade vs Zi-O/Zi-O vs Decade was fun. Pre-ordered the DX Neo Decadriver - K-Touch 21 combo. I wonder if they'll rerelease the Ride Booker at any point. Might be able to get the missing attack ride cards that way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/410248977439653888/816751019626463232/1614798939075.png

Jokes are reality

Redemption Arc Starts Now

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is Ultraman Ginga and s good? I watched the first 3 of Ginga when it ran but forgot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Burkion posted:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/410248977439653888/816751019626463232/1614798939075.png

Jokes are reality

Redemption Arc Starts Now

is this just toei renewing the trademark on shin kamen rider, the already existing kamen rider property?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RBX posted:

Is Ultraman Ginga and s good? I watched the first 3 of Ginga when it ran but forgot.

Ginga starts promising but ultimately kind of sucks, S is slightly better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RBX posted:

I haven't finished S yet, but so far they aren't great. Both for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

is this just toei renewing the trademark on shin kamen rider, the already existing kamen rider property?

We'll see but there have been rumors of a new Amazons style series coming...