Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thanks - I will definitely think about feet or some kind of mat if I go to deploy it.

Thanks! I poked around aliexpress but it's of course kind of a nightmare - any know good vendors/models?

Yeah AliExpress has a terrible user interface, but that's part of the charm.

I've mostly bought from

KDBfans, who also have their own website, and YMD Shenzen, who I think are the ones behind all the YMDK boards. The boards aren't anything special but they're perfectly adequate. Just keep in mind that shipping will may take longer, and that AliExpress doesn't take care of customs and/or taxes. Usually that's not a problem but it can always happen that your customs authority may charge you some quid for your package.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got some of those sound dampening o rings for my Huntsman TKL and man it made a huge difference, but the "travel distance" of the keys feels a little off now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SalTheBard posted:

I got some of those sound dampening o rings for my Huntsman TKL and man it made a huge difference, but the "travel distance" of the keys feels a little off now.

I have QMX clips which accomplish the same thing but better and I hate them for shortening the stroke.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Is there a good 75% with a rotary or something similar for media, that is also 5 pin and supports wireless?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Clockwerk posted:

Is there a good 75% with a rotary or something similar for media, that is also 5 pin and supports wireless?

This will check all of those boxes except the wireless part:
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-gmmk-pro-75-barebone-black-reservation

Not available yet, but will be available within the next few months.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
You'll struggle to find anything checking all those boxes. Wireless enthusiast keyboards seem few and far between. Maybe someone here can weigh in on whether there are any good wireless/bluetooth adapters that would work with minimal pain.

The GMMK Pro looks very good for everything, and if you can stomach the lack of wireless, seems like it would have everything you need. First shipments will be within the next month, and then shipping out as stock comes in - if you're just buying a new one and have to get behind other pre-orders not in the first batch I imagine it'd be two or three months.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 28, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah, for mechanical keyboards, right now we're at Wireless/Good/Rotary: pick two.

Mass manufacturers haven't really put out anything good imo. But also they're just now really starting to get in on the rotary trend and that seems to be completely separate from the whole wireless thing.
In the hobbyist community there's another hurdle; QMK. The license for the popular software that most of the MK community boards run is at odds for the licenses of the Nordic Bluetooth controllers. So QMK is open source, but the Bluetooth licenses require that the source code not be released. In order to have an open source implementation of QMK, you would also have to open source the Bluetooth implementation which breaks the Bluetooth license agreement.
So QMK + Bluetooth does exist but it's rare and it just basically pisses on the licensing for NRF hardware.
There are other alternatives in development like ZMK, but they're still in their infancy so I can't really speak to their support for rotary encoders. Also ZMK is not fully open source.

Beyond that, there just hasn't really been much interest in what you're asking for from the MK community from either designers or hobbyists.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

A membrane Freestyle is currently sitting as the backup option. Just have to find one. Rather have mechanical but surprise, poo poo's expensive and a lot of big ticket things are all coming due.

e: went ahead and got one, no addon stuff though.

As someone who use(d) a Kinesys Freestyle at work and has RSI issues - I would strooooooongly recommend getting the tenting kit. My home split keeb doesn't have it and my wrists definitely miss it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Canuck-Errant posted:

As someone who use(d) a Kinesys Freestyle at work and has RSI issues - I would strooooooongly recommend getting the tenting kit. My home split keeb doesn't have it and my wrists definitely miss it.

That's in the cards if the keyboard itself works. With what work approved for paying for the equipment, the base model was definitely covered but I'd have to fight for the extra $20-30 for an "unnecessary" part. Figured better to get some than none.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Got my NK65 Milkshake and while I'm loving the silk yellows, the ping on the spacebar is wildly loud. I'll need to take it apart and see if I can fix it at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Final hours for KAM Superuser and I'm still waffling.
I decided against it until I saw that SA8010 wasn't going to have the Modern Integrated Numpad kit and now here I am again with Superuser back in my cart... https://novelkeys.xyz/products/kam-superuser-gb

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Briefly updating: Freestyle 2 came in and set it up at work. The key split is weird (I never learned to touch type and my left hand usually handles all the letters over to the UJM column on qwerty boards; Freestyle splits between TGB and YHN), but it all seems to work normally and it's not even a bad feel for membrane. Appreciate the recommendation/support, I'll be looking into the tenting kit.

e: one additional thought. Would have been nice to have the arrow keys embedded as a Fn toggle or something rather than still out in the corner, there's still the gap between "end of letters" and "start of arrows" (plus the pointless shift key that does nothing but throw me off) that my wrist has to click across every time. A good 2/3rds of the keystrokes I have to make at work are Enter or arrow keys...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 1, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Queer Salutations posted:

Got my NK65 Milkshake and while I'm loving the silk yellows, the ping on the spacebar is wildly loud. I'll need to take it apart and see if I can fix it at all.

I highly, highly recommend plate foam. Between that, lubing the stabs, and lubing the switches you can eliminate most of the ping and turn it into a thock-y board.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I picked up a Kinesis Freestyle Edge RBG with the tenting kit last week and I love it. Never want to go back to a normal keyboard again, definitely going to be picking up another to use at work when/if I have an office to go into again.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, for mechanical keyboards, right now we're at Wireless/Good/Rotary: pick two.

Mass manufacturers haven't really put out anything good imo. But also they're just now really starting to get in on the rotary trend and that seems to be completely separate from the whole wireless thing.
In the hobbyist community there's another hurdle; QMK. The license for the popular software that most of the MK community boards run is at odds for the licenses of the Nordic Bluetooth controllers. So QMK is open source, but the Bluetooth licenses require that the source code not be released. In order to have an open source implementation of QMK, you would also have to open source the Bluetooth implementation which breaks the Bluetooth license agreement.
So QMK + Bluetooth does exist but it's rare and it just basically pisses on the licensing for NRF hardware.
There are other alternatives in development like ZMK, but they're still in their infancy so I can't really speak to their support for rotary encoders. Also ZMK is not fully open source.

Beyond that, there just hasn't really been much interest in what you're asking for from the MK community from either designers or hobbyists.

Well that's unfortunate, but does explain a lot. Thank you for the responses. I'll look into an adapter to see if that makes sense

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

I highly, highly recommend plate foam. Between that, lubing the stabs, and lubing the switches you can eliminate most of the ping and turn it into a thock-y board.

I was thinking of lubing the stabs but getting foam is a good call, I'll have to look into that.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

I was thinking of lubing the stabs but getting foam is a good call, I'll have to look into that.

I highly recommend this foam: https://stupidfish.design/collections/keyboard-foams/products/nk65-plate-foam
High quality, perfectly cut, and the guy has been awesome to work with for Austin foams I'm getting cut.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Got stupidfish foams for my Alt and very happy with them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Stabilizer lube, and the stab bumper things from kbd fans, are both amazing upgrades. The GMK (at least, my pretty old one) was a very rattly board stock. After stabilizer lube/clip/pcb bumpers it's a brand new experience. I like it so much, best mod I've ever done.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
The MK community really embraces the opposite of wireless. There’s a lot of options for over the top cables to make it an additional point of customization/flair.

Zap cables are some of my favourite, their stickers and stuff have a great art style.

https://zapcables.com

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
christ now im looking at DIY cables

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ now im looking at DIY cables

mods update thread title for 2021 with this plz

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I wasn't super impressed with my Glorious Pandas, nor with my Gazzew U4 Bobas. But then I started hearing about these Holy Bobas, where you use the Glorious / Halo True stem and put it inside the Boba housing.

Holy poo poo these things are tactile as gently caress and may be my new favorite switch. Highly, highly recommend trying it. They are the thockiest tactile I've used, there's very little travel before the bump, and the bump is very, very sharp. They're like super thocky Zealios.

If you've got the parts around, give it a try. I wouldn't recommend going out to buy the parts individually because frankenswitching can be very expensive, but this allowed me to make good use of some switches I wasn't super hyped on.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
My favorite thing about this thread is the insane lingo that’s developed around mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. I have no idea what a Holy Boba or a Glorious Panda is, but they sound cool! :3:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

BGrifter posted:

My favorite thing about this thread is the insane lingo that’s developed around mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. I have no idea what a Holy Boba or a Glorious Panda is, but they sound cool! :3:
To help you out a bit, Glorious Panda is a type of switch made by pcgamingrace.com. Gazzew Boba U4's are switches made by a guy that goes by "Gazzew" and also "hbheroinbob" on Reddit. Both switches are really good and very popular in the community. One of the popular things to do is to take two or more switches apart and swap some parts around to make a new kind of switch. This is typically referred to as a "Frankenswitch" and people like to come up with names for them that incorporates whatever switches were used in its construction.

The "Holy Boba" has very quickly become one of the most popular "Frankenswitches" in the community. It's typically built with the stem from a Halo True, and the housing of a Gazzew Boba. "Zykos" are another insanely popular Frankenswitch, but are extremely expensive to build because they use parts from three fairly expensive switches: Zealios V2, Invyr Pandas, and Halo Trues.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Gearman posted:

To help you out a bit, Glorious Panda is a type of switch made by pcgamingrace.com.

Neat! I’m really enjoying my trip down this particular rabbit hole. Thanks for explaining!

Now I just need to figure out which obscure Chinese manufacturer I need to order a Psychadelic Revolution keyboard with Electric Rutabaga switches and Erotic Hippopotamus keycaps that you can only order on the third Tuesday of the month if there’s a full moon.

Or just wait patiently for the Keychron K12 to come out and my Akko Neon keycaps to arrive. :3:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pulled the trigger on my first mechanical keyboard with a WASD TKL custom print with browns. I doubt I'll let this become a big hobby for me because I already have enough expensive time sinks, but we shall see.
I'm mostly just looking forward to having a good solid aesthetically pleasing keyboard after cycling through crummy ones my whole life.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

couldcareless posted:

Pulled the trigger on my first mechanical keyboard with a WASD TKL custom print with browns. I doubt I'll let this become a big hobby for me because I already have enough expensive time sinks, but we shall see.
I'm mostly just looking forward to having a good solid aesthetically pleasing keyboard after cycling through crummy ones my whole life.

Congrats my dude. Let me know when you get sick of it and want to try new switches or gently caress around with QMK. I would not mind at all discussing where you want to take the board and what to do to improve on it. Nor would I mind putting new switches in (gratis for goodn buddies of course). I'm actually champing at the bit to build something despite the fact that I have like a dozen unbuilt boards right now.

BGrifter posted:

The scary part is when you get far enough down, you forget what is vernacular and what is layman's terms for things. So people literally have no idea wtf you are talking about when you say, "I clipped and tuned my stabs before doing the Epsi mod. I went with these because they match the CW I was going for despite needing to be lubed and stem swapped to sound half as good as Durock v2's. The GB was only 8mos so it was worth it because they'll match my Hyperglides perfectly."

Don't wander into any keycap designer Discords because you'll realize you're in too deep when people start posting RAL numbers and you know that color immediately.

If you want any point of reference for that that means, I filled out my Mech Madness keyset and keyboard brackets without having to look up any of the sets.
https://mechmadness.gg/

Anywho, I just snagged a TMO50v2 in that sweet sweet KeyboardTreehouse Green and I am loving stoked.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Where's the best place to buy a keyboard in Canada? I ordered a Ducky one 2 back in November from memory express and it still hasn't shipped. What the heck!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Honey Im Homme posted:

Where's the best place to buy a keyboard in Canada? I ordered a Ducky one 2 back in November from memory express and it still hasn't shipped. What the heck!!

Not Canada, but honestly ordering from Mech Keyboards outside the US has been a breeze. Ordered a Ducky One 2 SF and got it within a week to the UK.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Honey Im Homme posted:

For hobbyist/custom stuff, honestly, directly from China. Quite a few of the Canadian based vendors have a built-in markup plus charge tax and extra shipping.

For the mass manufactured keyboards, Amazon and Newegg Canada have been the most reliable/fastest.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Not Canada, but honestly ordering from Mech Keyboards outside the US has been a breeze. Ordered a Ducky One 2 SF and got it within a week to the UK.

Were you able to get ISO variants? I have found that ISO stuff is pretty much impossible to find in stock.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Honey Im Homme posted:

Ordered my Keychron K2 direct from Keychron and it went well. Shipping wasn’t “Amazon warehouse in Ontario” levels of fast but way faster than anything I’ve ever ordered from overseas like that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gunder posted:

Were you able to get ISO variants? I have found that ISO stuff is pretty much impossible to find in stock.

Oh no lol I gave up on trying to find nice ISO stuff a long time ago tbh.

Keychron has an ISO 65% at some point but who knows when

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

couldcareless posted:

That’s what I said as well a couple of years ago when I bought my WASD v2 TKL.

Now I’m sitting here with three bags of switches “to try out”, a num pad kit ready to assemble, a gmmk pro reserved, and also casually looking at soldering equipment, because “I’m this far in - might as well try making a custom cable”.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Oh no lol I gave up on trying to find nice ISO stuff a long time ago tbh.

Keychron has an ISO 65% at some point but who knows when

What was the transition to ANSI like? I’ve never used it before.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I ordered from mechanicalkeyboards.com in canada and it showed up in days. Gotta make sure to order something that shows "in stock" though because if it says "on order" or whatever there's an indefinite wait.

But really, order parts from aliexpress/kbdfans/kprepublic and skip the customs+duty on everything

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Honey Im Homme posted:

DeskHero sells Ducky, Glorious, Varmillo, and some other brands if you want to order from a smaller store. They also have a new enthusiast aimed 65% Ducky board with Zeal switches up for pre-order.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gunder posted:

What was the transition to ANSI like? I’ve never used it before.

It's pretty trivial tbh.

The biggest issue was getting used to not accidentally hitting above where the enter key is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Cancelled my preorder of the mecha SF.

It's not even passed QA checks yet