Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
https://www.tsn.ca/columbus-blue-jackets-head-coach-john-tortorella-i-never-worry-about-job-security-1.1600687

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Welcome to March, lol Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1365761392867905536?s=20

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 1, 2021

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/LLysowski/status/1366161045941874692?s=20

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Please send Eichel to Pittsburgh thanks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Apparently last night was the first time since 1986 that the Islanders shut out the Penguins. That's actually kind of insane.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

That 2014 Buffalo team is pretty high up there in the argument for worst non-expansion team in league history.

The Stars are pretty rancid scoring 5v5 too.. 1.86 goals per 60 minutes would be near the 10 worst marks in the last decade. The Sabres at 1.32 is on the next level though lol

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ginette Reno posted:

Apparently last night was the first time since 1986 that the Islanders shut out the Penguins. That's actually kind of insane.

I had to look that up this morning because when I heard it on tv last night I assumed that I missed some sort of cherry picked qualifier or something like "first rookie shutout at home vs Pens since 1986" but nope. Just any shutout against the Pens, an in division rival, since 1986. Jesus

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

I had to look that up this morning because when I heard it on tv last night I assumed that I missed some sort of cherry picked qualifier or something like "first rookie shutout at home vs Pens since 1986" but nope. Just any shutout against the Pens, an in division rival, since 1986. Jesus

Perhaps more impressive than that is that the 1986 game where they shut out the Pens was a game in which Mario Lemieux played.

The Isles won it 9-0 though. Bossy, Trottier, and Potvin all scored I think lol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So how much money did Hall cost himself signing a one year deal in Buffalo? $20m?

Still laughing about how he won the Hart.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

My understanding is that Rick DiPietro was the islanders goalie for most of this period

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So Jack Campbell is out again after posting a shutout in his return from missing over a month due to injury. Was it because Tyler Ennis kneed him in the head while he covered a loose puck, or is it because he wasn't fully healed the first time? We'll never know.

Andersen is still out too so it's Michael Hutchinson and then some guy in net for the Leafs.

Matthews is a 'game time decision' but honestly considering how many Leafs have re-injured themselves, or played lovely hockey, coming back too soon from injury just put him on a plane back to Toronto and be done with it. There isn't a single mid-season game in this division that matters more than having key guys back to 100%.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

So how much money did Hall cost himself signing a one year deal in Buffalo? $20m?

Man he's gonna be so sick on the Oilers(again)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s all the sub 500 teams that should start looking towards the draft lottery.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s all the sub 500 teams that should start looking towards the draft lottery.

It amuses me greatly that Dallas is on that list.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Why did Jonathan Toews sit out this year again? Is he done for good?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1366466293495336961

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jhet posted:

It amuses me greatly that Dallas is on that list.

I trimmed my screenshot wrong, they’re technically right at .500, but they’ve also played the fewest games due to Covid, so who knows how good a judge the stat really is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

No specifics, all they've said is he has some persistent fatigue.

No way to know if he's gonna play again, ask in five years!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Owns that Taylor signed a 1-year deal to cash in playing on Eichels wing and has 1 goal in 19 games :laugh:

Very friendly coach though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Base-salary-dropped-to-two-million-dollars syndrome

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

ThinkTank posted:

Only good player on a team that had no business making the playoffs

Welp, gotta give the Hart to Hall by default I guess

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Only good player on a team that had no business making the playoffs

Welp, gotta give the Hart to Hall by default I guess

That truly mind blowing thinking by the PHWA means that he and Corey Perry are now almost certainly going into the HHOF.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's cool that they didn't apply that reasoning to any other year ever

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My feeling is that McDavid has deserved the Hart every year since 2016-17. He's unquestionably the best player in the league and there's really no one even close to him. But then again the Hart trophy is the "good forward or maybe a goalie on a so so team except when it's not" award for some reason.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 1, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I trimmed my screenshot wrong, they’re technically right at .500, but they’ve also played the fewest games due to Covid, so who knows how good a judge the stat really is.

Don't take this away from me.

It is true that they've been mostly delayed with playing, but they've also only been okay anyway. After their cup run last year, it does make me think it was just a perfect rental storm for them last year.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

The Dirty Burger posted:

Owns that Taylor signed a 1-year deal to cash in playing on Eichels wing and has 1 goal in 19 games :laugh:

Very friendly coach though

Lots of predictions that Hall/Eichel would be prolific this season. Such a drat disappointment so far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Lots of predictions that Hall/Eichel would be prolific this season. Such a drat disappointment so far.

I gotta say I do not recall many of those predictions. I don't fault anyone for saying it'd be a boost, but even with Hall, Buffalo's still a very bad team in a division that was going to beat the dogshit out of them, regardless if it was the Atlantic or this year's East.

E: yeah i could see some people syaing they'd get some good points together but it really wouldn't be hard for most other teams to match up against Buffalo's top line and go punch for punch with Eichel and Hall while dominating against the depth.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 1, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hall is a weird one. He won a Hart pretty much all alone in New Jersey but has been somewhat underwhelming with two of the best centres on earth in McDavid and Eichel. He's still a top quality player, but aged 30 and looking like a guy who's not going to elevate his linemates I'm sure a lot of teams are hesitating on him. He might well be a one year reclamation project for like $6m next summer and there were rumours 25 teams were talking with him when free agency opened in October. Boy has betting on himself sure not worked out this year.

Also lol

https://twitter.com/GlobeKPD/status/1366467800592748544?s=19

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i remember a lot of posts here basically being like "wtf taytay lmaoooooooo." i don't pay attention to hockey media much so maybe all the talking heads were bustin nuts at the idea of Jack and Taylor losing every game 5-8

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

DJExile posted:

I gotta say I do not recall many of those predictions. I don't fault anyone for saying it'd be a boost, but even with Hall, Buffalo's still a very bad team in a division that was going to beat the dogshit out of them, regardless if it was the Atlantic or this year's East.

E: yeah i could see some people syaing they'd get some good points together but it really wouldn't be hard for most other teams to match up against Buffalo's top line and go punch for punch with Eichel and Hall while dominating against the depth.

Yeah, I was in no way suggesting the Hall/Eichel would power Buffalo deep into the playoffs (or even make a playoff spot a likelihood), just that they were expected to put up a lot of points. But that line has been a dud, like the rest of the team so far.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
why does jim benning still have a job.

is this punishment for something i've done?

okay, okay, I did burn down that orphanage, but this still seems like overkill

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Hall is a weird one. He won a Hart pretty much all alone in New Jersey but has been somewhat underwhelming with two of the best centres on earth in McDavid and Eichel. He's still a top quality player, but aged 30 and looking like a guy who's not going to elevate his linemates I'm sure a lot of teams are hesitating on him. He might well be a one year reclamation project for like $6m next summer and there were rumours 25 teams were talking with him when free agency opened in October. Boy has betting on himself sure not worked out this year.

Also lol

https://twitter.com/GlobeKPD/status/1366467800592748544?s=19

The season McDavid and Hall were both on the Oilers, Hall mostly played with Leon, who was still developing and like 75 minutes total 5v5 with McDavid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

grack posted:

why does jim benning still have a job.

is this punishment for something i've done?

okay, okay, I did burn down that orphanage, but this still seems like overkill

yeah, it's punishment for supporting the Canucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/1366492290345271300

hell yeah

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Oh we're in for a maybe Flyers/Pens gong show game already? Joy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1366504769955618819

oh thank god

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hall and Eichel don’t even play that well on the same line. Hall has been doing well on Staal’s wing, though. If the top two lines were Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart and Hall/Staal/Olofsson or Cozens they would be doing a lot better, but instead Ralph is insisting on playing Olofsson with Eichel even though they aren’t generating much 5-on-5. Meanwhile their best 5-on-5 player is playing like 9 minutes a night. I can’t single out any one player, they’ve pretty much all been lovely. That and COVID/injuries have wrecked the only decent defensemen they had and their #1 goalie who was playing better than 99% of the rest of the team is out for a month. Cursed ducking team.

Hall is good and I’d be fine with him staying as long as they have a competent coach next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

good