Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So some guy who worked at Noma came back home to Perth and opened... a Nashville Hot Chicken place.

Drasko's

It was the best chicken sandwich I've ever had. High quality chicken with real chicken flavour, crazy good sauce (though I shoulda gone a heat level higher) and also top quality chips.

So, anyone else got something like this round them, where someone with haute cuisine credentials decides to go and run like a corndog stand in the rear end end of nowhere and loving kills it but probably won't be there long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Not that that doesn't look wonderful, because it sure does. But...

quote:

The chook, while staying faithful to Nashville tradition – brined, floured, fried then finished with a seasoned oil – is jazzed up using techniques Jankovic brought home with him from Copenhagen. The brine, for instance, is based on dashi rather than buttermilk, while the finishing oil has been flavoured with, among other things, a savoury garum: a fermented sauce that, in this instance, has been made from roasted chicken wings.

Then that ain't nashville chicken. ...and whatever the gently caress he's calling garum (essentially thai fish sauce) sure as hell ain't that either, is it?
This is like one of those food blogs where someone's like "I loved this recipe but instead of peanut butter I used chocolate syrup and instead of ice cream I put some whipped avocados in there. Would probably make again." or you see British people try to understand Mexican food.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Not that that doesn't look wonderful, because it sure does. But...

Then that ain't nashville chicken. ...and whatever the gently caress he's calling garum (essentially thai fish sauce) sure as hell ain't that either, is it?
This is like one of those food blogs where someone's like "I loved this recipe but instead of peanut butter I used chocolate syrup and instead of ice cream I put some whipped avocados in there. Would probably make again." or you see British people try to understand Mexican food.

While I get where you're coming from, having had the authentic stuff, it's pretty much it in the end even if they arrive at it differently.

Also garum while usually made from fish can be any kind of fermented animal fat based oil I think? Or at least it's the fermented oil element he's using when he calls it a garum.

It's a hot tangy (from fermentation instead of vinegar in this case) chili oil applied after frying to give the chicken a reddish colour served with pickles and whitebread. And slaw which I like.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 1, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Korean fried chicken places are pretty good but not really "fast". Korean corn dog shops have started opening up too, they got a variety of different fillings

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also garum while usually made from fish can be any kind of fermented animal fat based oil I think? Or at least it's the fermented oil element he's using when he calls it a garum.

No.

I gotta draw the line somewhere.

----------------

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dashi stock isn't buttermilk.
'Garum (fish sauce)' isn't derived from chicken wings.

Neither of these lends themselves to Nashville Hot Chicken.
I'm aware of the gastronomy that might go into these things. It's wrong.

There is, of course, for you, a warriors way out?

look if the sandwich rocks, own it!

----------------

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The sandwich rocks. AND I've always believed that when it comes to food if it's mostly the same with some substitutions that still lead to a very similar result then getting hung up on names is basically just some mess of parochialism and prescriptivism and that poo poo is for the French.

It's still chicken brined, battered and deep fried and then coated in a sharp chili oil and served with pickles and bread. It tastes like really really good hot chicken. It doesn't taste like something else. I think that's close enough to call it hot chicken. :colbert:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Korean fried chicken places are pretty good but not really "fast". Korean corn dog shops have started opening up too, they got a variety of different fillings

poo poo I'm jealous we had a good hot dog and corn dog place but it went under a few years back. They did particularly good cheese fries and they made their own cherry cola too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
There is a burger place in Nashville called Gabby's that's like that. The place is a glorified trailer and the food is in brown paper bags but all the ingredients are A+ quality. IIRC the founder was a "serious" chef who quit and did it to basically have a more chill lifestyle with his family.

It's 0 pretensions but it's super fresh local beef on buns baked to his spec by a local bakery, shakes with his flavored syrup blends, all that. I think the guy is semi retired from the biz but the quality has been unchanged.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

It tastes like really really good hot chicken. It doesn't taste like something else. I think that's close enough to call it hot chicken. :colbert:

Then right fuckin on.

Also house-made cherry coke/cola owns SO hard. When I was a tiny beef in the late 80's I had a karate class at a place in a mall (yeah tell me about it) down the strip from a place that made their own candy, served ice cream, and made their cherry coke from scratch and once and a while after practice my mom would take squirmy, hyper, karate'd up kid beef over there to get one to suck down and god drat that was good. I'm absolutely sure it was just maraschino cherry juice mixed with regular coke but man it was great.

----------------

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Jesus gently caress that sandwich looks :five:

Is that slaw vinegar based rather than creamy? Because if so I would eat that sandwich every day until I died happy a week later.

https://i.imgur.com/xuXBTA4.mp4

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Jesus gently caress that sandwich looks :five:

Is that slaw vinegar based rather than creamy? Because if so I would eat that sandwich every day until I died happy a week later.

Yeah vinegar slaw. Very crunchy.